PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lee chamfer/debur hand tool swage?

BeauxKneauxs
12-29-15, 20:59
Lee states this included tool in their kit can aid in swaging primer pockets. Does it work well and can you over-do it and ruin the pocket?

wilson1911
12-29-15, 21:41
Thats a finger killer.

my hands could not take it. Yeah it may work, but you will only use it once for swaging.

bigedp51
12-29-15, 21:58
Yes you can use any chamfer/deburing tool to remove the primer crimp, but with my setup below I can get more cases done before my fingers start to bleed.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/reamertips001_zps433f8557.jpg

I now use a even faster method for removing the primer crimp. (and your fingers will not get so sore you can't even pick your nose)

.223/5.56 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces $55.00
http://brassbombers.com/223-556-Cleaned-Deprimed-Swaged-LC-Only-500-Pieces-2LC-S0050.htm

Trust me, I reamed three five gallon buckets of .223/5.56 cases trying to be a cheap bastard, when the price of the Dillon super swage is far less painful. Meaning either buy the Dillon super swage or buy processed Lake City cases and don't mess around with sore painful bloody fingers.

NOTE, if you insist on using a deburring tool then get a VLD tool like pictured above. It will remove the crimp and remove "LESS" brass with its 22 degree taper.

bb223
12-30-15, 00:58
The Lee is not very good for that purpose. The VLD chamfer in the Lyman case prep kit is better.

That said even thought I have have them all, the Hornady crimp cutter is my go-to. It also fits cleaning rod threads so I cut a cleaning rod to about 3" and threaded the Hornady tool into it and chucked it into a drill. The Lyman VLD can be used the same way.

The Lee you can press fit into a socket (17mm or 18mm I can't remember exactly) then attach the socket to a drill adapter and chuck it into a drill.

markm
12-30-15, 17:21
I agree. I've used the VLD in a pinch when I just needed to knock down a crimp on one or two cases. But the Hornady in my hand drill is where I run volume.

BeauxKneauxs
12-31-15, 19:06
It's not hard to spend money getting started! bigedp51, please put me in your will! You've got a million useful reloading tools from the pictures I see.

noylj
12-31-15, 21:53
Once again, Lee uses the wrong word.
No, you can't swage with a chamfer tool--all you can do is "drill" out the crimp, but you aren't swaging--you are removing metal.
It is like when my son bought the Lee chamfer tool and we found that it isn't useful for chamfering the outside of the case mouth with pistol cases. Lee's response? Oh, yeah, it's only for rifle cases. Any one see that on the packaging?

Bigun
01-01-16, 03:07
Thats a finger killer.

my hands could not take it. Yeah it may work, but you will only use it once for swaging. Truth I don't like any of the hand tools. If you are processing a lot of brass they all hurt. Get the Dillon stand alone. It is a bit expensive but works great.

Kaiser Mike
09-09-16, 22:22
Lee states this included tool in their kit can aid in swaging primer pockets. Does it work well and can you over-do it and ruin the pocket?

I use my drill and RCBS chamfer tool. I just give it a short enough burst to do the trick and done.

Levinz11
09-10-16, 07:54
I use my drill and RCBS chamfer tool. I just give it a short enough burst to do the trick and done.

Ditto.