PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Katana for Survival?

HKGuns
12-29-15, 22:23
I'm using "Tactical," of course, in jest and putting any TWD references aside.....Wondering if any of you have considered the virtues, or not, of a Katana in a survival situation?

I probably wouldn't use this one, I have a less ornate one that I'm planning on putting next to the emergency kit. I know there have been stories of less than real Katana's being used for home defense successfully. A legit Katana could quickly ruin someone's day, without question.

Curious of the perceived value, or not, from others perspectives.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v63/p1622370473-5.jpg
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v99/p1849661078-5.jpg
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v17/p1763108673-5.jpg

jwinch2
12-29-15, 22:26
Not for me. I would be far more likely to choose a blade of Filipino origin. A Bolo, Ginunting, Barong, etc. have been used combatively for generations, but they are also derivatives of jungle blades used for chopping and cutting.

Cheetah
12-30-15, 00:48
Survival of what? I'm not taking out any grizzlies with a katana. If I'm trying to survive some type of SHTF civil unrest, I'm going to avoid getting within katana range of anyone else at all costs. If I do get in katana range and need a weapon, I'd hardly know which end of a katana to hold, much less how to actually fight with one. Had I spent years of my life learning how to employ one through martial arts or whatever, yeah, I'd probably seriously consider one. As the average duff that I am? **** no, I'm not going to try carrying something I don't know how to expertly employ. I agree with jwinch, I'd carry a blade with more utility around camp, and I'd keep my self defense weapons focused on avoidance, de-escalation, and firearms. If I survive beyond my ammo supplies and things aren't better in one way or another, then I don't think any bladed weapon would have made the difference for me.

Koshinn
12-30-15, 01:12
If you're going for a medieval weapon, consider something with utility like a machete or hatchet.

If you want a dedicated "kill people when everyone is out of ammo" weapon, get a walking stick sized spear.

Vash1023
12-30-15, 02:42
its been mostly answered.. but a katana, while being an excellent sword. can in no way be considered a survival weapon.its only good at one thing... and when has anything to do with survival been solely focused on one thing???

get that British survival knife if you want sharp. it can do a multitude of things. hell a small forest axe would be better, cause lets be honest. no one will run out of ammo in the apocalypse... theres just too much laying around to scavenge.

Ernst
12-30-15, 08:43
I watch a documentary called "The Walking Dead" and one of the people has used one with great results.

yoni
12-30-15, 09:05
I have to say machete is the way to go. I have seen compesinos fight with razor sharp machetes it isn't pretty. I have a well used US Military machete that has now been retired from the plantation and rides in my jeep with me. 36750

HKGuns
12-30-15, 09:14
Appreciate all the responses, I do have an Ontario machete for clearing brush and stuff. Great tool.

Great point about not getting close enough to someone with a katana, pretty much common sense to not do that.....

soulezoo
12-30-15, 17:18
SteyrAUG will have a best qualified opinion if he sees this.

HardToHandle
12-30-15, 23:06
I recall a few armed robberies with Katanas. I'd encourage that, as concealing a meter+-long sword is a dead giveaway for responding officers. That guy strolling with stiff gait might just be worth having a chat with...

TWD and other zombie flicks aside, swords are a bitch in close quarters. I was reminded this when I read a story about English assassins sent to kill an exiled political figure in the 1630's. One old guy held off a half-dozen sword-armed men in Dutch pub for a lengthy period of time. I doubt these Royalist assassins were slinging a katana, but a sword is limited in tight quarters. I'm confident that there are examples where a sword is valuable, but the sword/cutlass has been ceremonial even in the US Navy since before Pearl Harbor.

Framing Questions:
Beyond reach, what does a katana or anything longer than a machete offer that a more realistic length knife would offer?
Would a lashable spear point and 12" knife provide all the same options at less weight and length?
What SHTF situations does looking like a verifiable threat, albeit goofy in my opinion, provide more value than being low profile?

Koshinn
12-30-15, 23:38
A two handed sword has a good combination of reach, power, and speed while not being worthless when your opponent gets past your point, unlike a rapier or spear.

The shorter you go, the more you sacrifice reach and power. But there's a reason Samurai carried multiple blades of different lengths, for fighting indoors.

Plus, I've seen the Highlander TV series, katanas are concealable

HKGuns
12-31-15, 12:17
I recall a few armed robberies with Katanas. I'd encourage that, as concealing a meter+-long sword is a dead giveaway for responding officers. That guy strolling with stiff gait might just be worth having a chat with...

You are LE aren't you?

TWD and other zombie flicks aside, swords are a bitch in close quarters. I was reminded this when I read a story about English assassins sent to kill an exiled political figure in the 1630's. One old guy held off a half-dozen sword-armed men in Dutch pub for a lengthy period of time. I doubt these Royalist assassins were slinging a katana, but a sword is limited in tight quarters. I'm confident that there are examples where a sword is valuable, but the sword/cutlass has been ceremonial even in the US Navy since before Pearl Harbor.

Great point in close quarters. I have experienced this in my house first hand.

Framing Questions:
Beyond reach, what does a katana or anything longer than a machete offer that a more realistic length knife would offer?

Reach can be a significant advantage in some situations. With a knife or a spear you aren't likely to do as much immediate damage. You're not likely to surprise anyone with a spear so that is a wash.

Would a lashable spear point and 12" knife provide all the same options at less weight and length?

Not so sure a spear would necessarily weigh less. The pictured Katana is 2.6 pounds.

What SHTF situations does looking like a verifiable threat, albeit goofy in my opinion, provide more value than being low profile?

Low profile is usually always best. Can't and won't disagree on that point.

soulezoo
12-31-15, 12:24
Just a point of note (no pun intended)

A cutlass was designed as a short sword (an original CQB weapon?) for combat within the close confines of a ship (the old wooden square riggers), often below decks where quarters are very cramped. Real ones being about the same size as a machete. This is not to be confused with cavalry sabres that are often called "cutlesses" incorrectly.

sevenhelmet
12-31-15, 14:07
A good knife and a quality hatchet/tomahawk should work well for actual survival where things like cutting, digging, chopping, and slicing are vastly more common, while still being useful if one is attacked in close quarters. I can't think of a situation where a Katana or any sword would be better, and I can think of many in which it would be worse, i.e. unwieldy and a poor "fit" for the task at hand.

Swords are neat (and deadly if you have the right training), but I can't think of a reason to put one into a survival kit.

HardToHandle
01-01-16, 09:57
A good knife and a quality hatchet/tomahawk should work well for actual survival where things like cutting, digging, chopping, and slicing are vastly more common, while still being useful if one is attacked in close quarters. I can't think of a situation where a Katana or any sword would be better, and I can think of many in which it would be worse, i.e. unwieldy and a poor "fit" for the task at hand.

Swords are neat (and deadly if you have the right training), but I can't think of a reason to put one into a survival kit.

Like your analysis. I really want a sword to be viable. A half dozen times a year I do some ceremonial sword handling with dozens of assorted presentations and movements. Those events give me a lot of time to both form a bond with cold steel and think about the utility. Literally years of thinking about sword use leaves me feeling that I would almost always choose my ever present firearm over a sword. The one scenario where a sword would be more viable is a 10-20 foot attack where a sword is already in the hand. I write this with a Cold Steel Short Sword handing on my wall and several other swords displayed in my living room.

If people recommend not wearing cross draw holsters, drawing any sword is more easily blocked.
Swords bang into things, no matter how you carry them, increasing the audio disclosures.
They are formidable weapons, but limited to certain close in distances and require extensive training, time that might be better spent elsewhere for me (I have a coworker who is a talented amateur fencer, good with the foil and sabre; he carries a Glock)

Seven helmet makes a lot of sense with a good tomahawk. Different tool and different deployment, but a hawk can breach and chop wood in a way a sword generally cannot (Gladius et al excepted).

Not to diminish anyone like Koshinn who has skill at arms, as swords are anacronistic in my situation.

daddyusmaximus
01-01-16, 11:09
I love swords. What kid didn't grow up thinking every stick was a sword? That said, I have only one, and yes it's a katana. I would like a shorter version for close in, but the katana is probably the best balanced sword design overall. Like any weapon, edged weapons require training... lots of it. Though I'm nowhere near an expert, I have practiced with my katana some. A swordsman who practices more will best me, but the average Joe on the street would not want to face me without a sword, unless they have a firearm. I have pocket knives for both work and defense, as well as fixed blades. I see the sword as just another tool to keep handy, and there is a role it can play. A tomahawk, axe, machete, and other cutting tools have a role, but so does the sword.

jwinch2
01-01-16, 12:20
I believe a long blade (e.g. short sword) can be a viable utilitarian tool, both for field work, and in tight spaces if needed as a weapon. Even from some distance it can have viability. There is a reason that the 21 foot rule exists for knives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KJ1R2PCMM

jwinch2
01-01-16, 12:20
And in the hand of someone with some training, how much more true would that be for a short sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI

OK, so that guy is a bit over the top, but you get the idea.

I study Filipino martial arts, and one of the things I like is that I can use the same blade for utilitarian purposes since most of them derived from tools, but also for defensive purposes, in the unlikely event that such a thing were to happen. Plus, it's a great deal of fun!

HKGuns
01-01-16, 12:56

A little over the top? (More like bat$hit crazy!)

jwinch2
01-01-16, 14:19
A little over the top? (More like bat$hit crazy!)

Perhaps! He does make his point though.

Giggles
01-01-16, 19:08
In a "Survival" situation. I think a Katana would only be practical after the possibility of guns and ammo being around has diminished. Then after that point we would probably see edge weapons become more prolific. Then have a sword wont be as "Tactical".

*When I think of a modern tactical sword. I imagine it having a flashlight for some reason.

peruna
01-09-16, 10:36
Better practice to just spend the $115 for a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet..... (or plunk down some real coin for one of those RMJ tactical 'hawks if you really need something that says "I'm cool")......

peruna
01-09-16, 10:39
And in the hand of someone with some training, how much more true would that be for a short sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI

I study Filipino martial arts, and one of the things I like is that I can use the same blade for utilitarian purposes since most of them derived from tools, but also for defensive purposes, in the unlikely event that such a thing were to happen. Plus, it's a great deal of fun!

His training is superb! I truly fear for the safety of that swing set, though......

Koshinn
01-09-16, 16:19

What school / where? I studied Bahala Na for a couple of years before I left California.

jwinch2
01-09-16, 19:04
What school / where? I studied Bahala Na for a couple of years before I left California.

I've studied a few different systems since I have moved around a bit. I currently study Pekiti Tirsia Kali in San Antonio. I know a guy in Vegas that has a good background in FMA if you are interested.