PDA

View Full Version : Direct thread vs ratchet silencer

AFshirt
12-30-15, 10:25
So I have finally gotten a decent 308 bolt gun. So far I have repeatedly been able to keep 3 inch groups at 500yds but the comp on it is loud, very loud in fact so I am considering adding another can to my collection. I am thinking the AAC 7.62 SD because I can use it on multiple rifles but I am also looking at a direct thread. My question which would hold zero better, a direct thread being taken on and off or the 7.62 SD with it's ratchet device. I just started my DOPE book and don't want to mess up numbers every time I take the can off.

Thanks

steyrman13
12-30-15, 10:30
The thunderbeast with taper mount is regarded as the best for accuracy department on bolt guns. Griffin uses a taper mount as well. The omega or saker mounts are similar in accuracy. There is an article on the suppressor most widely used and winning in the competition and 1-thunderbeast 2-surefire, but SilencerCo is moving up in the ranks( because they are newer to the field then the other two)

taliv
12-30-15, 11:26
i have a pretty high degree of confidence in both thunderbeast and silencerco suppressors holding zero. (I have 4 TBAC and 2 silencerco cans)

however, you will probably have a zero shift when you move them around. e.g. i'm running a 25" heavy palma in 260AI and when zeroed with the thunderbeast thread-on, moving to the silencerco omega gives me a .2 mil shift up and when i move to the silencerco brake only, i get a .4 shift up.

that shift is constant and very repeatable. i.e. it's .2 at 100 yards and .2 at 1000 yards and everywhere in between. some of the more advanced calculators will allow you to make adjustments like this. e.g. you may also have a shift with a NV clip on that you need to track. writing it in your book works too.

Eurodriver
12-31-15, 06:31
Tomorrow it will be 2016. You can go ahead and get a ratchet mount. The days of direct thread silencers being a necessity for precision are gone.

AFshirt
12-31-15, 06:35
The griffin was on my list of ones to consider. I was looking at the Sportsman direct thread and taper mount. Light weight and supposedly accurate. The low rate of fire doesn't matter since it is a bolt action anyway. I got spooked on a ratchet while at a precision class a few weeks ago. Another student had a LWRC with an AAC can mounted to their 51T and no one in the class could hold a group with the gun with the can on. Once we took the can off the gun started grouping well. No baffle strikes were evident on the can but as soon as it was screwed on the gun was shotgunning at 100yds.

Eurodriver
12-31-15, 07:58
Another student had a LWRC with an AAC can mounted to their 51T and no one in the class could hold a group with the gun with the can on. Once we took the can off the gun started grouping well. No baffle strikes were evident on the can but as soon as it was screwed on the gun was shotgunning at 100yds.

There is a thread a few down from this one where I am shooting sub MOA at 500 yards with a 51T can on. It probably had everything to do with the shitty, terrible, disgusting LWRC barrel threads -not the 51T.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?176594-500-yard-group-how-am-I-doing

I'm not saying get a 51T can. There are far better out there these days, but certainly don't let it scare you from QD mounts.

AFshirt
12-31-15, 08:24
The 7.62 sd like you have on yours is another I was considering. Do you notice any shift in zero when you take it on and off?

thisguy65
01-05-16, 22:35
Stay away from 762-sd-n6..it is not a precision can. Yes there is shift with on and off.

ccoker
02-15-16, 16:00
No way in hell would I run an SND6 on a "precision" bolt gun.
The taper mounts from Thunderbeast, Griffin and Crux all work very well.
I have a lot of time with all of them, we do testing for the SilencerShop and I own a few Crux.

mcharb007
02-15-16, 20:44
TBAC taper mount is the way to go!

trinydex
03-10-16, 16:35
what is the best thread pattern to get on the end of the muzzle? for example the THOR suppressor mount muzzle brake from surgeon comes in all these different thread patterns.

https://surgeonrifles.com/shop/awc-psr-muzzle-brake/

Koshinn
03-14-16, 09:02
what is the best thread pattern to get on the end of the muzzle? for example the THOR suppressor mount muzzle brake from surgeon comes in all these different thread patterns.

https://surgeonrifles.com/shop/awc-psr-muzzle-brake/

5/8x24 is the most common for short action guns.

Auto-X Fil
03-14-16, 10:47
1/2-28 is the standard for .22-cal
5/8-24 is the standard for 30-cal

For lightweight 30-cal barrels you sometimes see 9/16-24, but most precision barrels are well over 5/8" at the muzzle.

There are many others, but those will give you the most options. Be sure to provide a drawing, and not just specify "5/8-24". Drawings are usually available from the suppressor manufacturer and will have shoulder dimensions, thread length, chamfer, and tolerances. Just cutting a barrel down and running a class 2B die over it is not going to guarantee a good suppressor mount!

diving dave
03-14-16, 11:46
Well, to the OP, I will be the guinea pig and let you know what my results are. I have a bolt gun currently getting a few updates, and I'm mounting an AAC brake for my 762sd. When I get it back I'll update this thread.

Dist. Expert 26
03-14-16, 12:38
I have a Saker 762 on my bolt gun, and although some have had issues with the MAAD mount I've been very impressed. Return to zero is perfect and the lockup is totally solid. QD mounts are the way to go.

Str8shooter
03-14-16, 21:38
Tomorrow it will be 2016. You can go ahead and get a ratchet mount. The days of direct thread silencers being a necessity for precision are gone.

This.

Also why no YHM Titanium Phantom love? Great cans and light weight with repeatable POI shift.

m4hk33
03-25-16, 07:05
direct thread and be done with it,

mounts have improved tremendously over the past few years, and I would like to get something in QD flavor, but right now the one thing I am sure with all my say 30 caliber rifles, they are all going to have standard 5/8 threading. if decide to buy a scar in 5 years, I don't have to worry about buying a lifetime supply of mounts, or tracking down a mount that is no longer current(surefire/AAC). I screw on the can and shoot. in ten years if I decide to buy a Remington 700 with threaded barrel, I can screw it on and go shooting.

with the constant fracturing of leadership in world of silencer manufacturing, there really is no way to know if you are going to be able to find a mount 8 years from now, or will be left rat ****ing rifles to use your can.

Auto-X Fil
03-25-16, 07:41
This.

Also why no YHM Titanium Phantom love? Great cans and light weight with repeatable POI shift.

The ULT is very light and short. It is pretty loud. I have the regular Phantom and ULT and both impact accuracy negatively. They turn 0.5MOA guns into 1.5MOA guns. The POI shift is also huge (6-8 MOA) and not that repeatable. Just grabbing the can and wiggling it will show you how loose the lockup is with that YHM ratchet system. For an AR with iron sights or a red dot - you'll never notice, and the weight and length are great. For a precision bolt gun - fuggetaboutit.

I have relegated the ULT to a dedicated 300 BLK sub-sonic gun, where accuracy is only OK anyway, and the can never comes off. It's decent in that app, although of course a direct thread would be better.

I have an Omega for my precision rifles. POI shift is less than 2 MOA on all guns wth ASR mount, and accuracy is unaffected. I see no difference in accuracy or POI shift with ASR mount vs direct thread. And, since I can run both, I always have the option of DT. I also got a DT adapter threaded 9/16-28 for a Savage bolt 300 WSM - only cost me $15 for a tap and $20 to get it cut. So I am $125 away from a custom adapter for ANY thread pattern, and the adapter will fit my Omega and Hybrid. That's future-proof!

Str8shooter
03-26-16, 20:53
The ULT is very light and short. It is pretty loud. I have the regular Phantom and ULT and both impact accuracy negatively. They turn 0.5MOA guns into 1.5MOA guns. The POI shift is also huge (6-8 MOA) and not that repeatable. Just grabbing the can and wiggling it will show you how loose the lockup is with that YHM ratchet system. For an AR with iron sights or a red dot - you'll never notice, and the weight and length are great. For a precision bolt gun - fuggetaboutit.

I have relegated the ULT to a dedicated 300 BLK sub-sonic gun, where accuracy is only OK anyway, and the can never comes off. It's decent in that app, although of course a direct thread would be better.

I have an Omega for my precision rifles. POI shift is less than 2 MOA on all guns wth ASR mount, and accuracy is unaffected. I see no difference in accuracy or POI shift with ASR mount vs direct thread. And, since I can run both, I always have the option of DT. I also got a DT adapter threaded 9/16-28 for a Savage bolt 300 WSM - only cost me $15 for a tap and $20 to get it cut. So I am $125 away from a custom adapter for ANY thread pattern, and the adapter will fit my Omega and Hybrid. That's future-proof!

I have the titanium Phantom and have no such issues. Both in 223 and 308. Great cans and If you ca wiggle it than you should tighten it down more. Common sense.
I guess your mileage varied.

sandsunsurf
03-28-16, 17:52
Prior to getting a Dead Air sandman Ti direct thread, I ran my YHM phantom 7.62 on my bolt .308. It did not have a negative impact on accuracy but that thing moves A LOT when firing. It's not something you can "tighten up", it's just the mount design. I tighten to the last ratchet click I can get. I personally like the design a lot- nothing on the can to break, no latch to push, no carbon welding. It may not wiggle by hand but trust me it moves when shooting. Definitely more movement than SDN-6.

The only reason to run direct thread is really to save weight and length; all of the modern QD mounts have good repeatability and typically don't have a negative effect on accuracy.

AFshirt
03-28-16, 18:23
Thanks for all of the support and advice. I ended up going with the Griffin Armament taper mount for my bolt gun. Silencer Shop had them on sale and I read quite a few good reviews on them to include repeatable on and off zero.

ccoker
04-14-16, 07:56
Taper mounts work great.
Even for a precision bolt gun I am leaning more towards them over direct thread.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk