PDA

View Full Version : Pmags melting?

Stan_TheGunNut
08-10-08, 21:29
Forgive me if this has been answered, but my search turned up no good results. I think everyone here will agree that the barrel of an AR can get pretty warm. Has anyone, deliberately or not, rested a hot barrel on a Pmag? If so, was there any damage to the magazine and did you have to scrape melted polymer off the barrel of your rifle? I'm asking out of simple curiosity more than anything.
Thanks.

NickB
08-10-08, 21:58
Forgive me if this has been answered, but my search turned up no good results. I think everyone here will agree that the barrel of an AR can get pretty warm. Has anyone, deliberately or not, rested a hot barrel on a Pmag? If so, was there any damage to the magazine and did you have to scrape melted polymer off the barrel of your rifle? I'm asking out of simple curiosity more than anything.
Thanks.

No, they do not melt even under sustained full auto fire in the M249 SAW. If you can melt a PMAG inside a weapon that isn't on fire, I'll buy back every PMAG you own.

Detective_D
08-10-08, 21:59
I have a feeling that it would be able to stand it, but not for a long amount of time. We would have to get an answer from someone at the company I believe. This is all I could find on the subject from a Magpul pdf....

Will the PMAG™ melt under the extreme heat of sustained fully-automatic fire?
One PMAG™ has been tested in extreme heat/sustained automatic fire and demonstrated no melt failure.
PMAGs™ loaded into a hot gun have run without malfunctioning or showing any signs of strength loss.
PMAGs™ have also endured full-auto suppressed fire without ill effects

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/PMAGPress.pdf

OK, that answers that.

Stan_TheGunNut
08-10-08, 22:06
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the chamber area of the AR15/M16 gets hot, but I can't see the heat in the lower reciever where the magazine is seated getting as hot as the barrel itself (maybe it's just as hot, but I don't know). That's why I specifically asked if anyone has experiened any melting of a Pmag by resting a hot barrel on it.

I'm guessing it's a non-issue though, because surely someone would have posted by now if it were a problem.

NickB
08-10-08, 22:23
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the chamber area of the AR15/M16 gets hot, but I can't see the heat in the lower reciever where the magazine is seated getting as hot as the barrel itself (maybe it's just as hot, but I don't know). That's why I specifically asked if anyone has experiened any melting of a Pmag by resting a hot barrel on it.

I'm guessing it's a non-issue though, because surely someone would have posted by now if it were a problem.

I'll be at the range Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll give it a try with the M249 barrel and a hot suppressor. I think it's a non-issue, but I'll let you know what I find.

Stan_TheGunNut
08-10-08, 22:35
I'll be at the range Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll give it a try with the M249 barrel and a hot suppressor. I think it's a non-issue, but I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks. I'm interested in the results.

Iraqgunz
08-11-08, 02:45
My first question would be why would one be resting the barrel of a super hot gun on a PMAG or anything else to begin with? :confused:

Second I would be more concerned about the damage to the weapon by exceeding the max. sustained rate of fire.

KevinB
08-11-08, 03:38
My first question would be why would one be resting the barrel of a super hot gun on a PMAG or anything else to begin with? :confused:

Second I would be more concerned about the damage to the weapon by exceeding the max. sustained rate of fire.

Ditto

I run PMAG's exclusivley in Iraq -- we have run them thru suppressed M249 para's here - and no problems.

I see it as a non issue.

Littlelebowski
08-11-08, 07:13
This is "what-iffing" to the extreme. Who really worries about this sort of thing?

ffhounddog
08-11-08, 14:40
What LL you do not worry about this. I have nightmares about this all the time :D

C4IGrant
08-11-08, 14:48

I am also wondering why anyone would rest a mag on a barrel.

C4

MisterWilson
08-11-08, 14:52
Because if some knucklehead could do it...

Someone will.

NickB
08-11-08, 14:57
This is "what-iffing" to the extreme. Who really worries about this sort of thing?

I do for two reasons:
1. Threads and phone calls like this.
2. Stupid military requirements. "Magazine must be able to withstand 602.3 inch drop while inserted in weapon while on fire in a -60 degree (F) chamber onto exposed concrete covered in Vaseline-mayonnaise mixture (40%/60% respectively)." Milspecs are stupid. You can offer a product that performs twice as well in 99.999% of all circumstances, cost half as much, but if it fails the flaming Vaseline sandwich drop test, they'll probably shit can it. That's why we need to know the limitations of the product, no matter how silly they are.

markm
08-11-08, 15:04
I do for two reasons:

This is why I can never deal with the public. :p

Littlelebowski
08-11-08, 15:08
Next time I'm at the ranch in Wyoming, I'd like to swing by and see the flaming Vaseline sandwich drop :D

Stickman
08-11-08, 15:24
2. Stupid military requirements. "Magazine must be able to withstand 602.3 inch drop while inserted in weapon while on fire in a -60 degree (F) chamber onto exposed concrete covered in Vaseline-mayonnaise mixture (40%/60% respectively)." Milspecs are stupid. You can offer a product that performs twice as well in 99.999% of all circumstances, cost half as much, but if it fails the flaming Vaseline sandwich drop test, they'll probably shit can it. That's why we need to know the limitations of the product, no matter how silly they are.

We need pictures of that.

Detective_D
08-11-08, 15:24
...and will there be a youtube video of that one too???
~D

tpe187
08-11-08, 15:43
In our initial testing of the PMAG at the joint readiness training center in Fort Polk, LA we fired about 300 rds in 6 to 9 rd bursts through an M249 SAW with the gunner changing out barrels after 210rds. The gunner was dumping the empty mags to his front and when he switched barrels he put the spare on top of a PMAG. Barrel was in contact with the mag for about a minute and it melted into the mag just barely. Bottom line, the mag remained functional and only had minor cosmetic damage. It is still in service today.

markm
08-11-08, 15:43
Next time I'm at the ranch in Wyoming, I'd like to swing by and see the flaming Vaseline sandwich drop :D

There's a hint of gay in that sentence somehow. :eek:

Iraqgunz
08-11-08, 15:45
I've heard of the flaming ass because of no vaseline test, but this other test you speak of is unknown. :D

I do for two reasons:

Littlelebowski
08-11-08, 15:58
There's a hint of gay in that sentence somehow. :eek:

It's been like2 weeks since I heard the over played BrokeBack Mt jokes, let'er rip.

RogerinTPA
08-11-08, 21:37
I think that constitutes being a dumb ass for not taking proper care of your equipment. As for the Vaseline test, they (military) considers it a petroleum product, which can melt certain plastic products as well as combust in an O2 environment. Not practical I know. There has also been cleaning solutions that have. The earlier ones were petrol based, ALA' the British Bullpup stocks melting with cleaning products on there earlier models.

Stan_TheGunNut
08-11-08, 22:24
In our initial testing of the PMAG at the joint readiness training center in Fort Polk, LA we fired about 300 rds in 6 to 9 rd bursts through an M249 SAW with the gunner changing out barrels after 210rds. The gunner was dumping the empty mags to his front and when he switched barrels he put the spare on top of a PMAG. Barrel was in contact with the mag for about a minute and it melted into the mag just barely. Bottom line, the mag remained functional and only had minor cosmetic damage. It is still in service today.

And this pretty much answers the question.