PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a red dot along with a scope.

Hi-Lander
12-30-15, 16:41
After finishing my PSA PA10 and now that I have some range time with it I am thinking of adding a red dot to go along with the scope. Currently running a Leupold 3x9 in a Leupold Mark AR 1 piece mount. Anyone used something like a Deltapoint, Burris Fast Fire or similar on a 1" tube ring mount? IF so how did it work out? This is primarily a hunting/farm rifle. Needing something for inside of 50yds and low light in addition to the 3-9x40

Thinking the red dot and scope or just swapping over to a Leupold Mod AR Firedot TMR.

Spiffums
12-31-15, 16:48
I've thought about it for a while on one of my guns. What I'll probably do is an off set mount towards the front of the upper reciever. Seems to be how most 3 gunners run a dot.

GH41
12-31-15, 17:17
For a farm rifle I would do the new scope with firedot. A red dot sight does nothing does nothing to gather light. If you cannot see the hairs in low light through the MK AR you more than likely would not be able to see the target through a red dot.

Averageman
01-01-16, 12:21
After finishing my PSA PA10 and now that I have some range time with it I am thinking of adding a red dot to go along with the scope. Currently running a Leupold 3x9 in a Leupold Mark AR 1 piece mount. Anyone used something like a Deltapoint, Burris Fast Fire or similar on a 1" tube ring mount? IF so how did it work out? This is primarily a hunting/farm rifle. Needing something for inside of 50yds and low light in addition to the 3-9x40

Thinking the red dot and scope or just swapping over to a Leupold Mod AR Firedot TMR.

I was fooling around with a Ruger 10/22 and put a 3X9X40 Nikon on top and attempted to mount the Fast Fire on the scope, there just wasn't enough adjustment in the Fast Fire. I ended up getting them both mounted, but the Burris is sitting to the left of the Nikon now.
It works for me anyway, I went with a 30 yd zero on the Burris and a 100 yd on the Nikon.

For a farm rifle I would do the new scope with firedot. A red dot sight does nothing does nothing to gather light. If you cannot see the hairs in low light through the MK AR you more than likely would not be able to see the target through a red dot.
I would have to agree with GH41, on an AR the FireDot would be the smarter better way, I just happened to have these two laying around when I was fooling with the 10/22.