PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut - buffer tube - C5-A

tb-av
12-31-15, 22:36
Am I good with my desired end plate, buffer tube, castle nut... then a bit of C5-A on threads @35-40 ft-lbs? Then stake end plate properly.

Yes, no, better way?

GH41
01-01-16, 06:38
I wouldn't use a copper based compound between 2 pieces of aluminum but what do I know.

tb-av
01-01-16, 10:10
OK, thanks, I found some AeroShell 33MS and I meant 40 in/lbs. I'll go that route. I never have understood the whole situation with the copper content. So I will stick with that on the barrel nut and use AeroShell on the castle nut.

556Cliff
01-01-16, 10:32
The copper in Loctite C5-A is not as worrisome as the graphite that it also contains. I would use the AeroShell 33MS instead. Though Iraqgunz uses C5-A and has had no problems with it.

The 40 +/- 2 in-lbs was a typo, the correct torque spec is 38-42 ft-lbs.

mtdawg169
01-01-16, 10:41
OK, thanks, I found some AeroShell 33MS and I meant 40 in/lbs. I'll go that route. I never have understood the whole situation with the copper content. So I will stick with that on the barrel nut and use AeroShell on the castle nut.
Why not just use the Aeroshell on both?

AM-15
01-01-16, 10:46
To reiterate;
Torque is 38-42 FOOT POUNDS for the castle nut.

Clarence

Iraqgunz
01-01-16, 18:43
I have been using Loctite C5-A for the better part of decade. I use it on my personal guns, and have over occasion pull them apart and swapped stuff around. I have yet to see it cause any issues at all.

Wake27
01-01-16, 19:42
I thought you weren't supposed to use Loctite on any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slippers
01-01-16, 19:54
I thought you weren't supposed to use Loctite on any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loctite makes more than just thread lockers. C5-A is anti seize. :)

SteveL
01-01-16, 20:21
I have been using Loctite C5-A for the better part of decade. I use it on my personal guns, and have over occasion pull them apart and swapped stuff around. I have yet to see it cause any issues at all.

At your advice I've also used it on a few occasions now. No problems whatsoever.

t1tan
01-01-16, 21:24
At your advice I've also used it on a few occasions now. No problems whatsoever.

Same here

tb-av
01-01-16, 22:13
Why not just use the Aeroshell on both?

I'm not one to re-invent the wheel. I figure Iraqgunz research was more than enough. He mentioned it in another thread but I'm still not clear on which pieces get it.

Barrel nut threads - C5-A
Barrel/receiver smooth fit - AeroShell ??
Castle Nut - sounds like C5-A here too

@Iraqgunz, are you using it on the castle nut too? Also on the barrel, not the threads but the part that plugs into the receiver, should I just use AeroShell 33 there? So it would be grease on the smooth surfaces and C5-A on threaded parts? Or C5-A all the way?

mtdawg169
01-01-16, 22:25
I'm not one to re-invent the wheel. I figure Iraqgunz research was more than enough. He mentioned it in another thread but I'm still not clear on which pieces get it.

Barrel nut threads - C5-A
Barrel/receiver smooth fit - AeroShell ??
Castle Nut - sounds like C5-A here too

@Iraqgunz, are you using it on the castle nut too? Also on the barrel, not the threads but the part that plugs into the receiver, should I just use AeroShell 33 there? So it would be grease on the smooth surfaces and C5-A on threaded parts? Or C5-A all the way?
Aeroshell was the original wheel. [emoji6]

But I'm sure C5A will work just fine too.

tb-av
01-01-16, 23:04
Aeroshell was the original wheel. [emoji6]

Ha!... got me. Hey, I didn't say I wasn't up for an upgrade to some nice new lightweight alloy wheels.