PDA

View Full Version : Gas block options for LaRue Stealth 16" barrel

mjpgolf1
01-01-16, 15:53
As the title says I'm looking for options for a gas block on my 16" LaRue Stealth barrel. I am in the middle of a build and the block and gas tube is all that I have left to do on the upper. The Stealth barrel has 3 pre drilled holes for the set screws at the gas block so my dilemma is figuring out what gas blocks will work and line up with at least 2 of these holes. I've read that these barrels are severely over gassed so that is another concern of mine when choosing a gas block as I'm wondering if I need to go with an adjustable. I would really like to hear what some of you guys are running with this setup. The Stealth is paired up with an Aero Precision upper receiver, a BCM alpha 15" KMR rail, Spikes Tactical full auto BCG, Surefire Procomp muzzle brake, and a Raptor charging handle. Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
01-01-16, 16:55
A good clean pic would help initially.

01-01-16, 17:09
I'm using an SLR adjustable gas block on my 12" Stealth barrel. They make one specifically for the LaRue (0.450" set screw spacing). The barrel is WAYY overgassed. The gas port on mine measured 0.090".
I believe Odin gas blocks fit LaRue barrels as well. It doesn't state it but the spacing is also 0.450" last I read.

Iraqgunz
01-01-16, 17:36
Many gas blocks like Vltor and BCM (probably others) have a hole spacing of .460. The bigger issue from what I have seen is the hole underneath the port.

JoshNC
01-01-16, 18:13
How about the LaRue set screw gasblock? It will line up properly with the holes. Other option is to buy a Geissele gasblock and have a gunsmith like Marvin Pitts drill the barrel and pin it. If the barrel is overgassed, have a Black River gasport insert installed: http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

mjpgolf1
01-01-16, 18:20
Many gas blocks like Vltor and BCM (probably others) have a hole spacing of .460. The bigger issue from what I have seen is the hole underneath the port.

I don't get what you're saying about the hole under the port. Please elaborate on this and how it would be an issue. Thanks and here is a picture of the barrel to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Gas port

Set screw holes

mjpgolf1
01-01-16, 18:23
How about the LaRue set screw gasblock? It will line up properly with the holes. Other option is to buy a Geissele gasblock and have a gunsmith like Marvin Pitts drill the barrel and pin it. If the barrel is overgassed, have a Black River gasport insert installed: http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

I could just buy the LaRue gas block and be done with it, but I want to have a few other options and hear what other guys are running on these barrels. After LaRue had their barrel sale months back I would assume there are more than a few guys around here running these barrels.

cutter_spc
01-01-16, 18:30
I believe IG is talking about the hole on the bottom of the gas block and how they would line up with the dimples on your barrel. I could be wrong, but from the looks of yours, you might be hard pressed to find a after market block that will line up with all three dimples in your barrel. One dimple will line up for sure.

n517rv
01-01-16, 18:53
I don't have any first hand experience with Larue gas blocks, but I recently spent time dimpling my own barrels and used the excellent gas block jig from BRD Enginering and I came across this page as part of my research:

http://brdengineering.com/p/technical (http://brdengineering.com/p/technical)

That page mentions the Larue gas block uses 3 set screws. If it were my barrel I would just buy the Larue gas block and call it good.

If you're dead set against going with a Larue gas block just measure the spacing of two of the dimples and buy a gas block that matches the spacing. As IG mentioned, many of them have .460" spacing including BCM, Vltor, Rainer... see the chart on the link above.

mjpgolf1
01-01-16, 19:27
The chart is very helpful. Thank you for that. I may just end up using the LaRue but I figured it could t hurt to see if anyone had the same barrel and are running a different setup with success.

Clint
01-01-16, 19:55
The easiest way to deal with the barrel is to use one of our MicroTune Gas Blocks.

That includes the proper size port and the rear set screw always lines up.

Its not critical that the front screw be dimpled normally, but the front hole may need to be dimpled if it partially overlaps an existing dimple.

You can then easily drill and pin the block for a permanent install.

A slightly cleaner approach would be to install the Custom Tune Gas Port into a LaRue gas block.

This would take a little more effort, but the dimples will all line up perfectly.

Whatever option you choose, if the gas port is ~.090", you'll want to make sure to address the gas drive somehow.

We have a barrel that had a .093" port (16" mid Wylde chamber) and it would only function acceptably with brass .223 ammo.

It would rip the rims off steel case wolf and blow primers on XM855.

It runs great now with either a .076" or .073" port using a variety of ammo.

mjpgolf1
01-01-16, 20:10
It looks like the SLR adjustable may be the way to go. They make one specifically for this barrel and that should take care of both the set screws and the over gassing issue. I don't know why LaRue would drill the gas ports so big on these barrels. It just doesn't seem like something that a top notch company would do, unless they have some reason for doing so that I haven't heard.

01-01-16, 21:04
Here's the set screw line up on the SLR (.450) and the Stealth barrel. You might notice that the barrel profile is a bit different. I had it recontoured.

http://i.imgur.com/7fJGqsc.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/NfkftLP.jpg?1

LoDie
01-02-16, 21:18
As the title says I'm looking for options for a gas block on my 16" LaRue Stealth barrel. I am in the middle of a build and the block and gas tube is all that I have left to do on the upper. The Stealth barrel has 3 pre drilled holes for the set screws at the gas block so my dilemma is figuring out what gas blocks will work and line up with at least 2 of these holes. I've read that these barrels are severely over gassed so that is another concern of mine when choosing a gas block as I'm wondering if I need to go with an adjustable. I would really like to hear what some of you guys are running with this setup. The Stealth is paired up with an Aero Precision upper receiver, a BCM alpha 15" KMR rail, Spikes Tactical full auto BCG, Surefire Procomp muzzle brake, and a Raptor charging handle. Thanks in advance.

I used a BCM and a Larue gas block. Either one will work fine. The BCM gas block fit nicely into the dimpled holes of the barrel as did the Larue.

kutz06
01-03-16, 15:28

I have a 16" Stealth barrel and I used an Odin Works gas block. It has .45" center to center set screws which is the same as the Stealth barrel's 2 outermost holes. It fits perfectly.

Renegade04
01-03-16, 17:10
Why not use the LaRue Tactical Low-profile Gas Block LT202?

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-low-profile-gas-block-lt-202

They have the gas tubes as well.

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-gas-tubes

mjpgolf1
01-03-16, 17:25
I used a BCM and a Larue gas block. Either one will work fine. The BCM gas block fit nicely into the dimpled holes of the barrel as did the Larue.

Are you having any issues with over gassing with the BCM gas block or is the rifle running good with that block/barrel setup?

The BCM is readily available locally which is why I'm most interested in maybe just going that route but I still have my concerns with the large gas ports on these barrels and not using an adjustable block to dial it in. So any input would be appreciated on this setup thanks b

Iraqgunz
01-03-16, 17:48
Have you measured the gas port? That's going to tell you in advance whether or not it's overgassed.

Are you having any issues with over gassing with the BCM gas block or is the rifle running good with that block/barrel setup?

The BCM is readily available locally which is why I'm most interested in maybe just going that route but I still have my concerns with the large gas ports on these barrels and not using an adjustable block to dial it in. So any input would be appreciated on this setup thanks b

mjpgolf1
01-03-16, 19:25
Have you measured the gas port? That's going to tell you in advance whether or not it's overgassed.

I have not. I'm just going off of the general consensus of these barrels and their over sized gas ports. Seems as though they are measuring in around .090.

Iraqgunz
01-03-16, 22:32
My point is that it is going to be overgassed with that port. You simply need to decide what route you are going to take.

I have not. I'm just going off of the general consensus of these barrels and their over sized gas ports. Seems as though they are measuring in around .090.

Joe Mamma
01-03-16, 23:14
This may be helpful:

https://www.laruetactical.com/media/graphics/GasBlockInterface.jpg

Joe Mamma

BigLarge
01-04-16, 01:22
I have a Govnah on my 16" Stealth barrel. Only the first set screw lined up; however, im not worried about it moving as I used rocksett on the set screws and Loctite 620 retaining compound on the barrel. The factory gas port is .082 IIRC and I don't find it to be obnoxiously over gassed. I just wanted to be able to switch between a supressed/unsupressed setting.

jasonk1229
02-27-16, 11:34
This may be helpful:

https://www.laruetactical.com/media/graphics/GasBlockInterface.jpg

Joe Mamma
dude thank you i thought i looked all over the stealth (and the other predAR ) barrel page at larue for some reference. I initially thought it was some kind of proprietary issue with the larue gas block as i had never seen a larue barrel without the rest of the gun and purchased from a friend.

been shooting with it for a year on a slr adjustable works fine