PDA

View Full Version : P30 vs. VP9 - who's had 'em both?

Brahmzy
01-03-16, 14:25
I've got a P30L and USPC9 right now.

Love my P30L, but I've been handling the VP9's and there's just something about 'em. Really great triggers (although after the whole HKParts trigger job on my P30L, it isn't bad either), really great feel, love the cocking 'ears' etc.

Who's had both and what's your favorite? Why?

pag23
01-03-16, 14:37
I have both but the P30 has the LEM trigger in it.... The VP9 has a slightly better trigger but I like them both, ergos are about the same.

HKGuns
01-03-16, 14:53
I own both, they're so similar that I don't have a favorite. Texture on the P30 is a bit better to me, but that is subjective.

I can shoot any trigger so that is a wash for me.....the ears are handy. They take the same mags....

I say get one of each.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-03-16, 15:02
I've got a P30L and USPC9 right now.

Love my P30L, but I've been handling the VP9's and there's just something about 'em. Really great triggers (although after the whole HKParts trigger job on my P30L, it isn't bad either), really great feel, love the cocking 'ears' etc.

Who's had both and what's your favorite? Why?

My year+ old video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9JqT5ts_LY

The VP9 is still mine, but I sold my P30. That says something.

SoloDallas
01-03-16, 15:29
I have both but the P30 has the LEM trigger in it.... The VP9 has a slightly better trigger but I like them both, ergos are about the same.

This, exactly this.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-03-16, 15:38
I have had both and they are virtually identical but I prefer hammer guns. Trigger was better on the VP but triggers are not make or break for me or I would only have 1911s.

Dr Dues
01-03-16, 17:53
I have put around 4k rounds through the VP9, and over 5k through my P30s.

In short, I prefer the P30s to the VP. Both are excellent and relatively easy to keep shots in a 5" x 5" card @ 25 yrds, but I find running support hand drills with the P30s easier (I run the P30s like a 1911).

MountainRaven
01-03-16, 19:51
I have owned both - albeit not at the same time.

I have had two or three P30s - I believe the exact count to be one P30L in traditional DA/SA, one P30 w/ LEM, and one P30L w/ LEM. And I've had one VP9.

The VP9 has the better trigger and I have no complaints from a functional stand-point. The availability of holsters for the VP9 is definitely a major mark in the VP9's favor.

That being said, while I haven't regretted my decision to sell my VP9 and I haven't exactly regretted my decision to let go of my P30s, either, of the two I've only seriously considered purchasing another P30 - probably another P30L.

The P30 seems to be the higher quality firearm to me and just plain "feels" better to me, seemingly better thought out from an ergonomic perspective: The slidelocks on the P30 seem to lend themselves better to being manipulated, for instance. Plus I have the option of swapping the long standard P30 slidelocks with the shorter P30S slidelocks, resolving my one complaint about both firearms (accidentally riding the slide lock with the firing thumb, causing the weapon to fail to lock open on the last round fired).

okie john
01-03-16, 20:20
I put about a thousand rounds through a P30LS and I'm up to about half that many through a VP9. The only real difference I see is that one has a hammer and one has a striker. I prefer a Gen4 Glock to either of them.

Okie John

Phillygunguy
01-04-16, 06:12
I currently own both, I think the vp 9 is easier to shoot, due to its SA trigger, but I prefer DA only type trigger. I have a p30 lem which is more like a DA trigger similar to glock but with a long pretravel and not as pronounced a break.
I think the p30 is more rugged than the vp9. But currently carry glock19 due to size and weight. Am curious about the p30 sk

Swamprattler
01-04-16, 06:25
I have both the VP9 and two P30S's. I like both for different reasons. Certainly the trigger on the VP9 is excellent, but I always run the P30's cocked and locked so the single action trigger is fine for me. I agree with some of the others that the P30 seems more robust (solid) or whatever, but I am sure the VP9 will hold up just fine. When I choose one of them to carry, the P30's typically win out because they are slightly easier for me to conceal.

Mjolnir
01-04-16, 21:58
Had both; sold the P30s.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Pappabear
01-04-16, 22:31
I like others have them all. I like the P30 Light LEM as my top gun. I have a P30L with threaded that I can run cocked and locked. VP9 great striker gun and the winner is the magazine. Buy both and get extra mags and be at peace.

joe2006
01-05-16, 00:56
I've owned both. I shot the vp better out of the box despite having the p30 for years but I sold it. Something about it just didn't feel as good as the p30, the trigger was way better but the grip texture just felt cheap. I'm also shooting suppressed FWIW.

Ipsilateral_7
01-08-16, 12:04
I like others have them all. I like the P30 Light LEM as my top gun. I have a P30L with threaded that I can run cocked and locked. VP9 great striker gun and the winner is the magazine. Buy both and get extra mags and be at peace.

I'm going to reiterate this, for context I own a V3 HK45, a V2 P30 which I've recently converted to V1 and VP9s.
L
I love the HK45 But when I ran it as a handgun course, it beat me up. And the trigger is heavy, and since I always started from decoded position the heavy pull takes its toll. I moved to the HK45 from a 1911 so I used a grip on top of the safety which frequently decocked and turned back into a double action while shooting, if I was going to keep this as my main gun, I'd change the detention plate to remove the decocked and keep cocked/locked.

The P30 is slightly smaller and 9mm and a great gun, to me the negatives are the texture is very rough and it would chew my skin up when I carried concealed, the V1 trigger IMHO is better than the V3 trigger but it has a lot of slack to pull out. OWB is where I carry this one and will likely be my go to gun. It is more veritable in trigger options and can have a safety.

The Vp9 I think has more of a beaver tail curve that makes it easier for. Me to draw quicker and constantly, the trigger is nice for a striker, and the rails seem beefier than the P30. The rack assists are neither a pro or con to me. I carry the VP in a keeper concealment AIWB holster and love it. The stippling isn't as rough on my gut compared to the P30. I dislike the slide release as I frequently fail to get slide lock on an empty mag. I can adjust to flagging my thumb but I will default to a thumbs forward grip of I'm not paying attending. I have a replacement release that I'm reproducing and will install to see if that helps.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I plan on getting 2 VP9sk when they're released and a P30L in V1 as well. I like it that the mags are interchangeable and Hk has plans to release 20 round mags soon but I've got the tailor freelance +5 that I use for courses, 3 gun and USPSA

Defaultmp3
01-08-16, 13:02
This is what Aaron Marco, a Texas LEO (who I believe to be on the department SWAT team) and was part of the H&K shooting team had to say, about the pure shooting aspects of the two guns:

The VP9 runs circles around the [DA/SA] P30L. It recoils flatter, the trigger is more predictable, and since the gun extends back over your hand it is much easier to index. I would guesstimate that I'm a good 10-15% better with the VP9 without any significant transition training.

Brahmzy
01-08-16, 13:18
DANG. I think I need to get one and go see for myself. How's the selling market for HK pistols? :D

Cincinnatus
01-08-16, 13:23
DANG. I think I need to get one and go see for myself. How's the selling market for HK pistols? :D

Very good. Most resellable poly pistol out there, like Smith or Collt revolvers.

WillBrink
01-08-16, 14:00
I'm going to reiterate this, for context I own a V3 HK45, a V2 P30 which I've recently converted to V1 and VP9s.
L
I love the HK45 But when I ran it as a handgun course, it beat me up. And the trigger is heavy, and since I always started from decoded position the heavy pull takes its toll. I moved to the HK45 from a 1911 so I used a grip on top of the safety which frequently decocked and turned back into a double action while shooting, if I was going to keep this as my main gun, I'd change the detention plate to remove the decocked and keep cocked/locked.

The P30 is slightly smaller and 9mm and a great gun, to me the negatives are the texture is very rough and it would chew my skin up when I carried concealed, the V1 trigger IMHO is better than the V3 trigger but it has a lot of slack to pull out. OWB is where I carry this one and will likely be my go to gun. It is more veritable in trigger options and can have a safety.

The Vp9 I think has more of a beaver tail curve that makes it easier for. Me to draw quicker and constantly, the trigger is nice for a striker, and the rails seem beefier than the P30. The rack assists are neither a pro or con to me. I carry the VP in a keeper concealment AIWB holster and love it. The stippling isn't as rough on my gut compared to the P30. I dislike the slide release as I frequently fail to get slide lock on an empty mag. I can adjust to flagging my thumb but I will default to a thumbs forward grip of I'm not paying attending. I have a replacement release that I'm reproducing and will install to see if that helps.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I plan on getting 2 VP9sk when they're released and a P30L in V1 as well. I like it that the mags are interchangeable and Hk has plans to release 20 round mags soon but I've got the tailor freelance +5 that I use for courses, 3 gun and USPSA

That's the only problem I have encountered with the VP9. I didn't know there were after market slide releases. Brand/URL?

armtx77
01-08-16, 18:23
I own all three flavor a of the P30 in Lite LEM. OWNED TWO VP's and sold them both in about 6 months.

The VP9 is the best striker out of the box...period. A Glock after the Apex upgrades is the same gun, minus ergos, with a lower bore axis. Not an issue for some, huge issue for others.

I wanted to like the VP, I ran 2000 rounds through one trying like hell to find a reason. I am a HK fanboy at heart, but with the aftermarket support that is available to the Glocks, it just doesn't pull enough weight for me.

Now to the LITE LEM P30 one of the most robust handguns in recent memory. Todd Green abused one for 11 months to the tune of 95k rounds. They are a USP with great ergonomics, BUT the LEM trigger exposes every little bad habit a shooter has. The gun is DAO, THERE IS GOING TO BE SOME TAKE UP. Than there is a wall and than it is 4-6lbs break, the reset is absolutely longer than a striker fired gun. Why people continue to compare hammers to strikers is still mind boggling.

I shoot my P30L in IDPA and have no issues beating guys running Glocks or Smiths. They also have no issues beating me. All about the day and how much anyone of us drank the night before.

They are both great guns, but if you want LEM, you sure better shoot one before you dump $800 on one. You will be able to resell it pretty quick, but that can be a hassle.

w3453l
01-08-16, 19:02
Ipsilateral_7, where did you hear that HK is releasing 20 round mags? I don't doubt you; I've just never seen this mentioned, and figured it would be a huge topic on HKPro. I could have missed it though.

Dirknar
01-08-16, 19:47
I just handled both of these pistols today at a few different lgs. WoW! I really thought the grip and ergos of the p30 was incredible.. p30 i handled was a Da/sa model and both trigger pulls felt great to me. I kept dry firing it and couldnt seem to think there was anything much to complain about. I want that pistol!! really expensive though.

I thought the trigger on the vp=9 was pretty awesome as well.. but it felt cheaper and not as high quality as the p30 for whatever reason. Im sure its every bit as high quality but something about it wasn't jiving..

I gave the vp back and started drooling, fondling and having vivid visions about the adventures I would like to have with that p30 on my side.. haha

It honestly jaded every other pistol I picked up today.. It made the g19 feel very uncomfortable.. I know there are more important features than comfort but man I can not get that p30 out of my head!!

I also handled a p30sk and that was great too. One shop had it for 579$ I wish the p30 was that price. I would have bought it today.

Cincinnatus
01-08-16, 20:21
Dirknar:
Used P30s can be found for the $700 range if you just keep an eye out.
A P2000 is virtually the same gun for less than $700 new
You may have to wait for one to come along, but when they do, it is worth it.

Dirknar
01-08-16, 20:30
Dirknar:
Used P30s can be found for the $700 range if you just keep an eye out.
A P2000 is virtually the same gun for less than $700 new
You may have to wait for one to come along, but when they do, it is worth it.

thank you for that info.

Yep! there is a lnib P30 right now local to me for only 650$$ Only problem now in washington is you gotta go meet up at an FFl and pay for the transfer fee.. which would still be a way cheaper than new..

but alas im a broke sob.. with a mtb addiction too! But I do actually need a pistol for home protection. I do not have one right now. Ive got a ruger blackhawk stoked up with some 44spcl loads at the ready in the safe..LOL i got word from a bud that a local shop is getting some P-trade in G17's in next week for 315..

TAZ
01-08-16, 20:39
I put about 5K RDS through my P30 V1 LEM before getting the VP9. I've got maybe 2k rounds through the VP9 (my range schedule sux ass :( ). Ended up selling the P30 for a second VP9 for the wife. For me the VP9 has been just as reliable as the P30 and the USP before that. No hickups what so ever. I have yet to pack it with clay and grow it at anything though... lol. For me the VP9 is SUPER easy to shoot well. That was the primary reason for getting rid of the P30. The LEM in particular, for me, required constant work and constant focus. Lay off the range sessions for a few weeks and there were lots of steps backwards. Even during repeated practice I had to really think about what I was doing or the wheels came off quick. That became incredibly frustrating as my work and family schedule cut into my shooting schedule. VP9 on the other hand if night and day. I can be off traveling for work and doing other stuff for weeks, come home and pick up close to where I left off.

I'm no HSLD guy so YMMV.

Ipsilateral_7
01-08-16, 20:39
That's the only problem I have encountered with the VP9. I didn't know there were after market slide releases. Brand/URL?

I have a factory replacement part I'm reshaping. It's at lot stronger metal than I thought it'd be, this is rough initial shaping and I may take more off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mshheaddoc/Hern/0c5f35101a7fbfa8be7687f18a91308b_zpsouzvvszq.jpg

Ipsilateral_7, where did you hear that HK is releasing 20 round mags? I don't doubt you; I've just never seen this mentioned, and figured it would be a huge topic on HKPro. I could have missed it though.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/226921-vp9-sk-post1729640.html#post1729640

I probably shouldn't have used the word soon, I've not seen confirmation that the 20 round mags would be in states soon, but correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any regulations that would prohibit importation.

okie john
01-08-16, 22:21
It's at lot stronger metal than I thought it'd be, this is rough initial shaping and I may take more off

Yeah. I think HKs are carved out of some kind of crazy meteorite kind of shit.

Okie John

hotrodder636
01-08-16, 23:39
I currently own 2 P30s and a VP9 in 9mm and the HK45. My favorite pistols out of all I own. I like the P30s as a hammer fired and the VP9 over my Glocks for a striker.

Plus magazine interchanability for P30 to VP9.

armtx77
01-09-16, 09:12
Yeah. I think HKs are carved out of some kind of crazy meteorite kind of shit.

Okie John

MIM done properly by Herman the German!

WillBrink
01-09-16, 09:16
I have a factory replacement part I'm reshaping. It's at lot stronger metal than I thought it'd be, this is rough initial shaping and I may take more off

That's good news for owners, bad news for those trying to reshape it! Post a pick once installed with report of whether it helps.

m4brian
01-09-16, 13:40
thank you for that info.

but alas im a broke sob.. with a mtb addiction too! ..

Might want to consider a SIG SP 2022. Lighter than a P228, holds more rounds then the HK P2000 compact, has a REALLY smooth DA and clean SA OTB, and is just as reliable and accurate as any SIG P series. You can nail one under $500 OTD.

Dirknar
01-09-16, 14:13
Might want to consider a SIG SP 2022. Lighter than a P228, holds more rounds then the HK P2000 compact, has a REALLY smooth DA and clean SA OTB, and is just as reliable and accurate as any SIG P series. You can nail one under $500 OTD.

Thanks Brian! I saw one yesterday, I should have handled it. I did handle a FN-S compact and full size. They were selling them for 469. I was really jiving with the compact as the mag release seemed difficult to actuate without completely rearranging the grip hold to do it.. The full size felt great though.

okie john
01-09-16, 14:21

I shot one of these a few days ago. Very impressive. Basically a TDA G19.

Okie John

m4brian
01-09-16, 16:26
I took a risk and bought one having never handled one and solely based on Internet reviews. Normally a DUMB thing to do. Not on this gun. The SP2022 is rock solid. For me it gets back on target naturally. It just feels effortlessness. It is very accurate. I've not seen any gun with a tighter barrel to slide lockup. It feels better in my hand than a P226/9. There is no hump on the left side. The DA is better than the West German P226 I used to own. Night sites come on it for most models. I WAS thinking about a P07, and while that is a super gun, the SP2022 is a tad slimmer, has many more sight options, and is cheaper with NS. And because it's a SIG, the trigger really needs no work other than shooting it. People talk about it as a "value gun". Wrong. It is a great high quality handgun.

Ipsilateral_7
01-09-16, 16:53
That's good news for owners, bad news for those trying to reshape it! Post a pick once installed with report of whether it helps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160109/5e87f9ac99b73ded1318406c0b9f9d15.589438

The shaping was the most difficult part, this is more proof of concept for me, if it helps slide lock, I'll make a prettier one and have it cerakoted. If not I'll return the stock one. With an empty mag and my normal grip, having someone cycle the slide does have the slide lock like this. The release still seems structurally strong.

If you do this, buy the HK trigger return spring pliers. Much much easier with them.

Ipsilateral_7
01-15-16, 16:06
Well, it's better but not perfect, I think it needs to be another 1/8 inch or so shorter but that'll bring some interesting challenges to modify a stock part. This is workable and it's much easier to adjust my grip but still doesn't work my my natural thumbs forward grip.

I have a few more ideas on modification, otherwise next steps will have to be modified part from scratch.

Ipsilateral_7
01-15-16, 18:18
I'm curious, anyone seen pictures of what Grey Guns reshaping of the slide release looks like?

Ed L.
01-15-16, 22:09
I have both guns. I bought an HKP30LS a few months before the VP9 came out.

The VP9 has a better trigger that breaks further forward than that of the P30 in the single action mode. The VP9 also has a shorter reset than the P30. The P30's trigger reset is designed to meet some German Police specs.

The backstrap of the VP9 extends higher up than that of the P30. You can grip the VP9 higher and it allows you to pull the trigger straighter back and not get your trigger finger pinched by the trough that is at the inside bottom of the trigger guard.

From my article on the VP9 that appeared in SWAT magazine: "By going to a striker fired mechanism, the height of the VP9's slide is reduced and the backstrap is extended higher and a tad deeper. This translates into a lower bore axis on a gun that can be gripped higher up in the rear for better control. It also makes the gun feel more comfortable in my hand, a sentiment echoed by many testfirers."

I wound up sending the P30L to Gray Guns and had the trough in the bottom inside of the trigger guard smoothed out and had them install their Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package. This gives the P30's trigger a shorter reset.

When I first shot both guns I found that sometimes I accidentally held down the slide release, resulting in the slide not locking back on the last round. I corrected this by going to the medium side panels and the large backstrap. This corrected the problem.

Brahmzy
01-15-16, 22:27
^^ Great Post

Sounds like you prefer the VP9? If you had to pick one?

Ed L.
01-16-16, 19:19
If I had to pick one it would definitely be the VP9 for the better trigger and better grip.

Brahmzy
01-16-16, 20:10
If I had to pick one it would definitely be the VP9 for the better trigger and better grip.

I think I'm just going to have to get one. It feels absolutely amazing in my hands every time I fondle at the fun store. Better than the P30s. For a lot of the reasons you mentioned. The trigger was night and day better stock for stock. Grip felt a lot higher up in relation to the bore.

So are there various versions out in the wild? Do they all have night sights? I've seen quite a cost spread between retailers, which is why I ask.

I like my P30L a lot, but I cannot say I love it. I will have no issues selling it if the VP9 ends up being superior, in my hands.

Cincinnatus
01-16-16, 22:02
Before SHOT, there are only two versions, standard and LE. The only difference is the LE has 3 mags and night sights.
I have seen a non-LE model with night sights, but most of the time, only the LE is sold factory-new with night sights.

Brahmzy
01-29-16, 18:27
I couldn't take it anymore. VP9 inbound.

Rinspeed
01-29-16, 19:34
I couldn't take it anymore. VP9 inbound.

I think you will be very happy, don't own a VP9 but have shot a couple and they have a great trigger. I went with the P30 just because the USPs I owned had the safety and it's so natural to carry cocked and locked after owning a bunch of 1911s. I'm very happy that HK has tried to lower some of their prices a bit. I've noticed along with the P2000, VP9 and the newer P30SK they have priced them much more in line with the competition.

Brahmzy
01-29-16, 21:24
^^ yeah, while the strikers are cheaper to make, HK simply cannot rely on their name to bring in $800-$1,000 a pistol anymore. There's too many other plastic guns out there now that are 'good enough' for the majority. That said, I've put my mitts on em all 100 times and kept getting drawn back to the VP9. I hope I can shoot it as well as I like holding it.

Pappabear
01-30-16, 00:50
I have a P30Long slide , P30 LEM trigger and VP9
on the P30's I got a set screw in the trigger to decrease travel and reset. Like the Elite or other top end HK's have. With the trigger work, the LEM is my favorite. I love the size of the standard P30 the best. It is very slightly smaller, but it matters to me.

Bogart
01-30-16, 11:33
The first pistol I ever owned was a P30S (DA/SA) but I stopped carrying it after I got a Gen4 G19. I've had a VP9 for about a year now, and prefer it over the P30. For me the VP9 shoots better and I am more accurate with it (though I've become partial to striker-fired pistols and shoot them better). To me the VP9 felt slightly better in hand, and I think it may have been due to the slightly lower bore height, when compared to the P30. Because of that, I recently got rid of the P30. To be fair though, the P30 felt like it could take any amount of abuse that could ever be thrown at it. YMMV.

Brahmzy
02-06-16, 10:31
Picked up the VP9 yesterday. Was going to go shooting today, but the honey-do list / SuperBowl party host prep is freaking killing me. Nothing worse than an unfired new HK pistol and no time!

Dirknar
02-06-16, 15:58
Picked up the VP9 yesterday. Was going to go shooting today, but the honey-do list / SuperBowl party host prep is freaking killing me. Nothing worse than an unfired new HK pistol and no time!

Waiting... that's hard to do with any new toy!

I'm 95% sure I'm gonna buy a lem P30. That trigger seems to make the most sense to me.

mhmx233
02-06-16, 18:29
You should find an LEM trigger to try out first. All I heard about the LEM was how great it was and its is good but not great. It has such a long trigger pull. Especially compared to any striker fired gun. The V3 trigger seemed more "striker like" on my P30. My P30 SK has the LEM and it takes some getting used to. As far as comparing the VP9 to the P30 it's very hard to do trigger wise. The P30 has so many variations in triggers that all feel completely different. The VP9 trigger is great and easy to shoot straight out of the box. The P30 with LEM takes a lot of getting used to with such a long pull. The P30 V3 is easy to shoot out of the box but not as easy as the VP9. This is all just my opinion but having owned all 3 I think I can give a good assessment.

Dirknar
02-06-16, 19:24
Thanks for that info mhm. I just stopped by a lgs, that out of all of them, I thought they'd have a V1. They didn't, they had a v3 and they also wanted 1050$$$ for it, so that was ridiculous! Buds has a v1for 836.. but I won't buy one without feeling the trigger first.

My understanding of the trigger, is a long take up, just like double action but without the weight. Then the second shot would be basically just like single action as long as the trigger isn't let completely out again and just let out enough to reset.

mhmx233
02-06-16, 21:04
That's pretty much right. But, all of the shots are sort of the same. On most DA pistols you can put one in the chamber and then de cock the hammer for a DA pull. On my LEM P30SK there is no decocker so every shot is the same. It is just VERY LONG and light. You are right about the second shot not having the long pull as long as you hold the trigger at the reset.

armtx77
02-08-16, 20:18
Thanks for that info mhm. I just stopped by a lgs, that out of all of them, I thought they'd have a V1. They didn't, they had a v3 and they also wanted 1050$$$ for it, so that was ridiculous! Buds has a v1for 836.. but I won't buy one without feeling the trigger first.

My understanding of the trigger, is a long take up, just like double action but without the weight. Then the second shot would be basically just like single action as long as the trigger isn't let completely out again and just let out enough to reset.

The trigger pull really is the same every time with V1 LEM. There's is some slight difference in pull weight between the P2k and the P30, but most never notice it.

The reset is a bit long for some people. The gun can be ran fast when you learn the reset point, but it will take some rounds to get there. You will also get a couple of ounce reduction in the trigger pull after a few thousand rounds.

Brahmzy
02-09-16, 07:32
Anybody here running at least the Match sear spring in their VP9? I like the stock TRS and wouldn't change it, but am curious as to what the final pull weight would be with just the Match sear spring. Supposedly it's 2lbs off stock with both - that's too light for my taste, but I wouldn't mind .5lb or so off stock. Been dry firing the snot out of this thing.

dwhitehorne
02-09-16, 14:10
Pulled these numbers off a post on HKPro. David

Stock VP9, < 500 rds = 5 lbs, 6 oz
Broken-In VP9, ~4000 rds = 5 lbs, 8 oz (but smoooth....)
Grayguns VP9, < 1000 rds = 4 lbs, 6 oz (again, smooth like butter)

Grayguns Receiver with Stock Slide = 4 lbs, 7 oz
Stock Receiver with Grayguns Slide = 5 lbs, 3 oz

Broken-In VP9 with Ultra TRS installed ONLY = 4lbs, 9 oz (and smooth)

Stock VP9 after installing Ultra Springs = 3 lbs, 14 oz
Grayguns after installing both Ultra Springs = 3 lbs, 14 oz

Grayguns VP9 with HKparts TRS ONLY (i.e. the Grayguns Ultra VP9!) = 3 lbs, 8 oz (and super smooth with 50% less reset)

Amount of forward reset pressure exerted by the TRS (pretty difficult to measure, but...)
Stock TRS - 2 lbs 0 oz
Ultra Match TRS - 1 lb 10 oz

okie john
02-09-16, 18:09
I put about a thousand rounds through a P30LS and I'm up to about half that many through a VP9. The only real difference I see is that one has a hammer and one has a striker. I prefer a Gen4 Glock to either of them.

Since I posted this, I've put close to another 1k rounds through my VP9. I'm starting to prefer it slightly to a Glock, but only slightly.

One thing I have noticed is that it's definitely a full-sized pistol. People compare it to the G19 because of the barrel length (4.01" for the G19, 4.09" for the VP9), but the sight radius is almost the same as a G17 (6.49" for the G17, 6.38" for the VP9), which means that the slides are about the same length. They're also pretty much the same height, so I think it makes a lot more sense to compare it to the G17 than to the G19.

Okie John

Brahmzy
02-09-16, 18:41
Pulled these numbers off a post on HKPro. David

Thanks!!! I ordered the Springs earlier today.

Ipsilateral_7
02-09-16, 19:00
Thanks!!! I ordered the Springs earlier today.

Hopefully you bought the TRS tool as well. That will make your life much easier

Brahmzy
02-09-16, 19:07
Oh yeah - already own it. No stranger to HK pistol trigger work. :)

Brahmzy
02-20-16, 22:02
FINALLY got to shoot the new VP9. Holy &$@!!
I'm in love with this thing. From the first shot to the 8th magazine I was a rockstar with it.
I don't think I've ever gel'd so much with a handgun before. This thing really agrees with me.
Fast follow ups and tight groups. Wow.
I shot my P30L along with it and I can say it's a pretty drastic difference for me. The P30L was just a movin in my hands. Took a lot more intentional effort to get back on target.

Very happy camper here! Now I have this crazy urge to get another one. We REALLY need a VP9S/C and a VP45.
I will be the first to have my USP9C up for sale.

Tzook
02-20-16, 23:12
I have owned a P30L, and shot a VP9 a decent amount but it's my brothers gun and not mine.

I hated the P30. Trigger was god awful. The sights were cheap, and poorly thought out. Honestly, the P30 turned me off in a lot of ways to Hk all together. I think the VP9 is a far, far superior pistol.