PDA

View Full Version : Cross between a MK12 and SDM-R/SAM-R Rifle build.

NYH1
01-03-16, 20:02
I started a thread in the AR General Discussion section. However this may be a better area to discuss this. I'll see if the mods want to delete that post or keep it going.

I'm in the process of building a cross between a MK12 SPR and a Army SDM-R/USMC SAM-R to go on my Colt lower.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to go with a Colt or BCM Upper Receiver. As much as I like Colt, I don't know if the Colt is worth and extra $45/50.

I ordered a Criterion Barrels Inc. 20" Hybrid contour Barrel, it has a rifle gas system, 223 Wylde chamber. It seems to be in between a M4 contour barrel and a HBAR contour barrel, heavier then a M4 but not as heavy as a HBAR. Kind of pretty much right what I was looking for.

I also ordered a Geissele carbon steel Super Gas Block. I want to use a pin on low profile gas block so this one seemed like a pretty good one. I'm going to use the lightest and longest rail I can so I can get my bipod as close to the end of the barrel that I can. It's kind of sort of going to be more of a 20" MK12 clone them anything else.

This will be my first build, so I have a lot to learn. I'll take all the pointers I can get.

Thanks, NYH1.

damcv62
01-03-16, 21:54
As far as your question on the colt vs bcm upper I'd say save the $45-50 and get the bcm. They are both quality options. Unless you want a clone rifle and it matters to you to have stuff that would have been issued, then I could see paying the extra for the colt.

NYH1
01-03-16, 23:24
Honestly damcv62, I'm going to be using this new upper on my current Colt lower, so it'd be nice to have the upper and lower match. Grant had Colt uppers listed for $150. He doesn't have any is stock though.

Thanks, NYH1.

NYH1
01-03-16, 23:37
Any of you ever use Criterion Barrels Inc. 20" Hybrid contour Barrel with the 223 Wylde chamber? I was going to go with a 18" barrel, however since the hybrid barrel contour is a little thinner making them a tad lighter then the barrels I was looking at, I figured I'd go with the 20" instead.

Any thoughts, pro's or con's either way?

Thanks, NYH1.

damcv62
01-03-16, 23:50
Honestly damcv62, I'm going to be using this new upper on my current Colt lower, so it'd be nice to have the upper and lower match. Grant had Colt uppers listed for $150. He doesn't have any is stock though.

Thanks, NYH1.

Fair enough. Go with the colt. I can't blame you there. I'd do the same if I had a colt lower already, but I have OCD with stuff like that.

NYH1
01-04-16, 14:35
Fair enough. Go with the colt. I can't blame you there. I'd do the same if I had a colt lower already, but I have OCD with stuff like that.
Yeah me too!

Thanks, NYH1.

NYH1
01-20-16, 01:00
I got a GREAT deal on a Colt M4 upper receiver.....I should of bought 2 or 3 of them. Oh well, I was in a hurry.

I also ordered a Daniel Defense 18" S2W barrel with the rifle length gas system w/pinned on low profile gas block installed. I kind of wanted to stick with the MK12ish length 18" barrel. Plus my son really liked the 20" Criterion Hybrid contour barrel. So I gave it to him with the other gas block, so it worked out.

Now I have to figure out which handguard I'm going to use. I'm kind of liking the PRI Gen III Free Float Carbon Fiber Tube/Handguard. However, I like the 15" handguard instead of the regular 12" handguard.

NYH1.