PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 V9S2W balance?

dylank0723
01-04-16, 18:33
Looking at a v9s2w, was wondering if anyone has one and how it balanced with the 18in heavy barrel? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
01-04-16, 18:53
Probably like a rifle with an 18" heavy barrel on it.

dylank0723
01-04-16, 18:53
Probably like a rifle with an 18" heavy barrel on it.

Haven't held one so idk, so far just used 16 in with gov profiles

Coal Dragger
01-04-16, 20:16
I have a V11 PRO with the same barrel. The 15" Slim Rail is a bit lighter than the V9, but balance is still right at the front of the reciever. In fact it balances the same or better than my 16" Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, which has a DD RIS II for a rail.

I really like the 18" S2W barrel, and have 2 of them. I know that light weight pencil barrels are all the rage these days but I like these heavier barrels for how well they shoot. Overall weight of the V11 PRO is about 7.5lbs, same as my Colt. Would it be nice to have a rifle that was a 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound lighter? Sure, but I accept the extra weight as the cost of having a barrel capable of better accuracy.

dylank0723
01-04-16, 20:16
I have a V11 PRO with the same barrel. The 15" Slim Rail is a bit lighter than the V9, but balance is still right at the front of the reciever. In fact it balances the same or better than my 16" Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, which has a DD RIS II for a rail.

I really like the 18" S2W barrel, and have 2 of them. I know that light weight pencil barrels are all the rage these days but I like these heavier barrels for how well they shoot. Overall weight of the V11 PRO is about 7.5lbs, same as my Colt. Would it be nice to have a rifle that was a 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound lighter? Sure, but I accept the extra weight as the cost of having a barrel capable of better accuracy.

Thanks

golfer
01-05-16, 14:04
Interesting that this should come up as I too have entertained the thought of an 18" barrel. I like the idea of a little heavier barrel of whish the DD seems to be.
Take a look at the White Oak site at their varmint barrels and compare vs: the DD barrel. The DD barrel is nearly 1# lighter. I don't know what barrel you have to use to knock a pound of a DD barrel, but for sure, they are not the heaviest set up there is. The White Oak barrels are .95 dia. vs: DD at .75.
Obviously there are lighter barrels and perhaps Molon or some of the better shooters would have suggestions on what to do for better accuracy in this category.
One other thing the White Oak barrels had was a Wilde [spelling] chamber which, I assume can help with accuracy.

eperk
01-06-16, 17:54
I finished my last build with the S2W 18" last year. Used Mega upper and Lower with a Samson 15" rail. I have a fairly heavy linear compensator stuck on the end. Don't know the weight but it is heavier than my LMT Defender. Balance is right at the front of the receiver. Put a Leopold 2x7 ultralight scope on it and it is extremely accurate. Love that gun. BTW the stock is a Magpul ACS-L.