PDA

View Full Version : H&K. P7

Kevin K
01-04-16, 22:13
Any chance they will ever make these again? This is my favorite pistol, but the high price, and lack of supply makes me take other guns to the range.

AFCATM
01-04-16, 22:39
Long Answer: When I went through HK's Armorers Course in 2000 when HK was located in Sterling Va the instructors told me that they had actually ceased or were about to cease production just as they were in the process of doing for the MP5. They sited the expense for the actual manufacturing of firearm. I assume that meant that the profit margin was not there. Incidentally we were allowed to go into the "grey room" and we were allowed to fondle the weapons in there. I went for the P7's and was lucky to handle one of two P7's in 45ACP. I agree that they are wonderful shooters but I think it is a niche gun at best and although I love them and wish they would return I would say no from HK but maybe a company will take up the lead and bring it back.

Short answer: No.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-16, 23:04
No. But somebody else out to start making them. I don't think H&K still has any patents or anything else on the gun.

I would probably make the FB Bushing from a forged part but other than that I wouldn't change anything. I guess if I could sell enough I would make a version with an Aluminum or Scandium frame and I would probably switch to a more weatherproof finish. Man H&K could blue the F out of a gun back in the 80s. Those finishes were beautiful.

Pilot1
01-04-16, 23:23
No, it will not be coming back. Obsolete design, dead end. That being said I have two, a P7M8, and I often carry a P7 PSP. I just like how they shoot, and they are very accurate, and reliable. Most people today would just get a Walther PPS, or S&W Shield.

Kevin K
01-04-16, 23:51
I don't necessarily think they are old school obsolete. I do think they were expensive to make. I do think if police/
Law enforcement carried them it would reduce risk of them being shot with their own gun when bad guy wrestles it away from them. I also believe them to be the safest design out there regarding accidental discharges.

TheChunkNorris
01-05-16, 00:28
Nope never. H&K doesn't service them anymore so you can say it's done.

Kevin K
01-05-16, 00:57
Nope never. H&K doesn't service them anymore so you can say it's done.

I'm surprised they wouldn't service their own pistols anymore. That would be like Ford not servicing their vehicles. You would think if there was a buck to be made they would.

TheChunkNorris
01-05-16, 01:00
I'm surprised they wouldn't service their own pistols anymore. That would be like Ford not servicing their vehicles. You would think if there was a buck to be made they would.

Yep and it's a shame because I love mine... those are the few in my collection that will never be sold.

Kevin K
01-05-16, 01:58
Yep and it's a shame because I love mine... those are the few in my collection that will never be sold.

Same here.

Firefly
01-05-16, 04:48
I had one and stupidly got rid of it in a trade (albeit for something equally good).

Accurate as hell, but got pretty warm. The squeezecock I just never got used to.

I liked owning it more than shooting it.

Got UZI
01-05-16, 08:29
They won't bring them back and I can't see anyone making them as the cost would be out of this world. You'd see HK P7's new costing the same as Wilson Combat 1911's or more

AFCATM
01-05-16, 13:30
I don't necessarily think they are old school obsolete. I do think they were expensive to make. I do think if police/
Law enforcement carried them it would reduce risk of them being shot with their own gun when bad guy wrestles it away from them. I also believe them to be the safest design out there regarding accidental discharges.

New Jersey State Police carried them for years.

Kevin K
01-05-16, 14:03
New Jersey State Police carried them for years.

Any other big agencies ever carry them?

AFCATM
01-05-16, 14:34
The P7 served NJSP for 18 years. Unfortunately it is the only LE Agency I know of to have adopted it. They did however adopt it at a time when the country was overwhelming revolvers. With what little information I can find it was a combination of price point and new technologies that retired it as well as preventing any other agency to adopt it. By the time the old guard retired or admitted semiautomatic was the way to go Beretta, Sig 226's, 5906's, and Glocks were around.

It is a shame. One of my favorites and I do need to save up for one (along with a BHP, German 226/8, Sig P210, and an M9 for my collection).:(

demkofour pointed out park police. I am looking at something that says Utah State Highway Patrol, US Park Police, and a few DOE groups. This comes from a site I dont usually go to that has a somewhat unhealthy love affair with HK.

demkofour
01-05-16, 14:44
Any other big agencies ever carry them?

If my memory is correct, I recall the US Park Police carried the P7 at one time... Possibly the M13 version...?

Kevin K
01-05-16, 15:00
The P7 served NJSP for 18 years. Unfortunately it is the only LE Agency I know of to have adopted it. They did however adopt it at a time when the country was overwhelming revolvers. With what little information I can find it was a combination of price point and new technologies that retired it as well as preventing any other agency to adopt it. By the time the old guard retired or admitted semiautomatic was the way to go Beretta, Sig 226's, 5906's, and Glocks were around.

It is a shame. One of my favorites and I do need to save up for one (along with a BHP, German 226/8, Sig P210, and an M9 for my collection).:(

demkofour pointed out park police. I am looking at something that says Utah State Highway Patrol, US Park Police, and a few DOE groups. This comes from a site I dont usually go to that has a somewhat unhealthy love affair with HK.
Our wish lists are pretty similar. I am still after the BHP, and I doubt I will ever shell out the coin that the P210's go for.

GNXII
01-05-16, 15:51
USPP did carry them. I had the opportunity to buy two of the P7s from two members of the USPP and passed on both because I was buying a house...bad move as the house is a money pit!

dwhitehorne
01-05-16, 17:15
Yes the USPP carried them from 1991 to 2009. Officer's choice of the M8's with 5 mags or M13's with 3 mags. I destroyed hundreds of them two years ago. Very sad. I remember before we officially went to the P2000 in 2005 we were able to batch order parts at 6 month intervals. Quite expensive. Officers were allowed to purchase personal weapons at the Agency contract price when the contract began for right around $450. I have all of the original pistol eval paperwork from 1989/90 in the office. Interesting reading. I have a couple in inventory and a few Simunitions versions also. We also have a nickle plated M10 in 40cal.

Not likely to see the P7 made again. To my knowledge New Jersey and Utah carried them. DOE had them at some point as my used M13 issued to me in 1998 had been transfered from DOE to the USPP and issued to me.

Kain
01-05-16, 17:22
Wish that they still made them because I do love the guns. That said, chances are slim that they will be manufactured again due to cost and the fact there is little middle ground you either love them, or hate them. A couple companies have borrowed the recoil system, Walther being the most recent, but while the guns are nice to shoot, they do have drawbacks, heat being one of the biggest. Would quite like an P7M13. Having handled the M10 though you can keep that, unless I have more money then brains that boat anchor does nothing for me.

Captiva
01-05-16, 19:09
... I destroyed hundreds of them two years ago. Very sad. ...

Perfect evidence that the bureaucratic State is a failure of mankind. The decision you had to carry out was based on emotion not logic, shortsighted, and foolish.

Kevin K
01-05-16, 19:15
Perfect evidence that the bureaucratic State is a failure of mankind. The decision you had to carry out was based on emotion not logic, shortsighted, and foolish.

Man, I can't believe you had to destroy them. In a situation like that were they ever offered for sale? If not, that is so wasteful and why our taxes are so high.

HKGuns
01-05-16, 19:40
No way will they ever reproduce them. Too complex and expensive to manufacture. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a similar polymer based version is toyed with however.

They are truly one of, if not the safest carry pistols, ever produced.

I'll not be selling mine and they get very little range time any more.

Drifting Fate
01-05-16, 22:38
As others have said, no, and, as others have said, probably the gun I miss most of all those I've sold/traded over the years. It really did what it was designed to do - place precision shots in close quarters, just as GSG9 (as legend would have it, I'm sure I'll be corrected if the legend is incorrect) asked for. Personally, it was the fastest pistol ever for me out of the holster to a precision shot under 7 yards, edging out the 1911... says the Glock toting 2016 guy. :confused:

yoni
01-06-16, 05:20
I got my P7 love during cross training with a German group. I only have one that was hard chromed, it for me does the mission of a J frame. When I can't be bothered to put on a real pistol the P7 gets put in my right front pants pocket.

I wish someone would really look at making a clone and maybe but with material that is available today they could solve the heat issue.

dwhitehorne
01-06-16, 14:06
We have to either transfer weapons to another Agency or destroy them according to the Code of Federal Regulations. I've gotten rid of some real pieces of history over the past few years. Unfortunately to non-gun people they are just excess numbers on an inventory that need to be gotten rid of. David

Man, I can't believe you had to destroy them. In a situation like that were they ever offered for sale? If not, that is so wasteful and why our taxes are so high.

Arik
01-06-16, 15:17
We have to either transfer weapons to another Agency or destroy them according to the Code of Federal Regulations. I've gotten rid of some real pieces of history over the past few years. Unfortunately to non-gun people they are just excess numbers on an inventory that need to be gotten rid of. David
From my understanding NJSP did the same. And they just destroyed all their issued German P228s. They'll have the frame cut but will sell the slide and some parts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

armtx77
01-08-16, 11:27

As a HK guy...I wept a tear Obama style when I read he destroyed P7's, except my tear was one of real pain and agony.

Damn shame!

Fuzzy-Reticle
01-08-16, 20:23
I always wanted a two tone.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Hk%20P7%20M13/P7M132-1.jpg

AFCATM
01-08-16, 22:35
I have seen a couple m8's that were NP3'd by Robar and they looked awesome.

Pikey
01-09-16, 20:59
I got my P7 love during cross training with a German group. I only have one that was hard chromed, it for me does the mission of a J frame. When I can't be bothered to put on a real pistol the P7 gets put in my right front pants pocket.

I wish someone would really look at making a clone and maybe but with material that is available today they could solve the heat issue.

I agree. My P7 gets put in my pocket tucked in waste band, federally style. If something goes bump in the night the P7 gets grabbed. The only pistol I will carry without a holster. I wish I would of bought two before prices went retarded. The only thing I do not like is the blued finish.

Pilot1
01-10-16, 10:53
I have been carrying my P7 BMI trade in for many years, and still do. I do shoot it also, but my pristine Sterling import P7M8 is more a safe queen now. They are fantastic pistols. I feel well armed with mine.

yoni
01-10-16, 13:18
I just looked at Gunbroker and P7's are listed as high as $2400.

So why doesn't someone make a clone of the P7? It seems their is a demand.

CAFGU
01-10-16, 13:21
The p7 became too expensive to produce. But the squeeze cocker was a good safety principle. And they are quite accurate because of the fixed barrel. Plus the gas delay. I just don't like the way they leave marks on the shells.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

TheChunkNorris
01-10-16, 13:26
I just looked at Gunbroker and P7's are listed as high as $2400.

So why doesn't someone make a clone of the P7? It seems their is a demand.

There's a couple companies that use that system minus the squeeze cock aka Tactical Staple Gun.

Walther CCP

Wilson ADP

The CCP is the only one being made at the moment.

yoni
01-10-16, 16:23
I like the Squeeze cocker as I feel perfectly safe in dropping it in my front pocket. You know for those times I don't feel like carrying a pistol.

The Walter CCP would not give me the same feeling.