PDA

View Full Version : A modern American "six arts"?

Koshinn
01-05-16, 07:35
Some context. Back "in the day"TM, Confucius named six arts that were the basic requirements for a gentleman in the pre-Qin era. These arts were supposed to be practical things, not meditation, philosophy, etc.

They were: ritual, music, archery, horse-riding, calligraphy, and mathematics.

What would a modern American six arts be?

Firefly
01-05-16, 07:54
I would say they are all the same except substitute archery and horse riding with being a functional rifleman and knowing how to drive stick and a motorcycle.

Calligraphy could just be re-interpreted to mean being able to write grammatically and neatly.

Auto-X Fil
01-05-16, 07:56
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

I've always liked that one.

Really, for the modern American, good skills are:

Mechanical. Fix an appliance, car, house, etc.

Financial. Understand savings and debt and be able to live securely and within one's means.

Health. Sort out the BS fads from the real basic truths of excercise, medicine, and nutrition, and stay healthy and fit.

Awareness. Too many people stumble through life with earbuds in. I won't proclaim that it's critical for every man and woman to have excellent pistol and rifle skills, because it's not right now. But everyone should have some plan of self-preservation other than dialing 911, and keeping your head on a swivel is the first key. A handgun and some skills would be a very nice second step.

Reading and writing comprehension. This is a terrible shortcoming in most people these days, who don't see the difference between being a "grammer nazi [sic]", and just wanting people to communicate clearly.

Math - not calc, but real-world math with basic algebra and estimation. So many people don't get that millions and billions are extremely different things.

26 Inf
01-05-16, 09:43
I like your take on it x-fil - good stuff.

The only thing I'd add - is communication or, perhaps more accurately, being a conversationalist - knowing how to talk to people and knowing how to listen to people and respond appropriately - we are living in an age where it has become to easy to communicate in an impersonal manner over social media, etc. If it continues on this course, before long we will become a people who cant even look each other in the eye.

Kyohte
01-05-16, 10:55
Logic (to include math, as well as the ability to distinguish objective and subjective arguments), art (broadly defined as both appreciation and creation), martial arts (again, broadly defined to be whatever would be practical for one's time/situation as well as physical fitness), communications (written, verbal, non-verbal), handiness (learning to do and fix things yourself), mental fortitude (don't be easily offended, etc).

SteyrAUG
01-05-16, 15:13
Some context. Back "in the day"TM, Confucius named six arts that were the basic requirements for a gentleman in the pre-Qin era. These arts were supposed to be practical things, not meditation, philosophy, etc.

Texting, shitty music, CGI movies, Amazon Prime, Tattoos, Rehab.

WickedWillis
01-05-16, 16:24
Texting, shitty music, CGI movies, *Netflix, Tattoos, Rehab.

Amazon prime is too expensive for some :dirol:

Netflix and chill baby boom coming soon.

Big A
01-05-16, 16:58
Amazon prime is too expensive for some :dirol:

Netflix and chill baby boom coming soon.
Netflix = $9.99/month. $9.99 X 12 = $119.88

Amazon Prime = $99/year...

Kyohte
01-05-16, 17:02

This is why math is on the list.

WillBrink
01-05-16, 17:59

What was meant by ritual at that time?

WickedWillis
01-05-16, 18:00

Well I have always paid I think $120 for Prime, and Prime is in one lump sum, not broken out over 12 months. I don't pay $9.99 for Netflix either, I pay $7.99.

Big A
01-05-16, 18:35
Well I have always paid I think $120 for Prime, and Prime is in one lump sum, not broken out over 12 months. I don't pay $9.99 for Netflix either, I pay $7.99.
Last time I renewed my Prime membership it was $101.52 after tax.

The netflix price I went with was the one for standard. I didn't realize they had 3 different levels of service.

ramairthree
01-05-16, 20:57
How is calc not real world math?

Co-gnARR
01-05-16, 21:37
How is calc not real world math?
Because people do not take derivatives of their grocery bills to find trends in food cost over time, nor do they run partial derivatives to predict the half life of their motor oil in order to optimize maintenance intervals and fuel consumption.
That being said, I lump people who dismiss calculus as being "too much math" in the same category as people who think a blunderbuss is what the second amendment guaranteed private citizens as a right to bear arms. That is to say, they have no concept of learning for the sake of learning, and are therefore no better than sheep.

Co-gnARR
01-05-16, 21:45
I would say they are all the same except substitute archery and horse riding with being a functional rifleman and knowing how to drive stick and a motorcycle.

Calligraphy could just be re-interpreted to mean being able to write grammatically and neatly.
Well, calligraphy to ancient Asian cultures was much more than simply being able to read and write...the characters were not letters that spell something out. They reflect something deeper, more cultural in meaning...I had a great book that went into detail on this but some meth head stole it (as if a degenerate deserves to hold such a thing of knowledge just to pawn it for a fix). For example, I IIRC the symbols that combine to represent "joy" or "well being" are derived from "woman" and "child". Reflect on that for a moment...

http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780966075007

26 Inf
01-05-16, 22:45
What was meant by ritual at that time?

How to act in given situations, propriety and adherence to ethical and social norms.

Li 禮 "rites," "ritual," proper conduct, norms of propriety, appropriate (ritual) behavior, ritualized roles and responsibilities, ritual propriety.

Pictorially combining a sacrificial vessel with an altar, this character originally indicted sacrificial rites. However, its meaning expanded to include proper conduct generally, involving judicious observance of social norms, or fulfilling an ethical role by faithfully discharging the responsibilities associated with that role.

Constantly returning to li, Confucius says, is the way to achieve ren (consummate virtue). When asked for specifics, he replied, "Do not look in a way which is not li, do not listen in a way that is not li, do not speak in a way that is not li, do not move in a way that is not li" (Analects 12.1).

Confucius is suggesting that one should, in all circumstances, act with the attention and care characteristic of the performance of a sacred rite. This does not mean following a precise code of action (although li does include norms that provide guidance). Nor does it mean that one should always be somber. Rather, in all circumstances, one should be conscientiously attentive to detail, and sensitive to what is most appropriate to the situation.

Consider the following passage from the Odes, which Xunzi quotes twice: "Ritual ceremony, completely according to the standard; laughing and talking, completely appropriate." According to Yang Liang's commentary, "By quoting this he makes clear that, for the person of li, every movement is fitting and appropriate" (Wang, p. 358). Xunzi also quotes Confucius, who in Analects 17.11 says, "Surely saying 'ritual this, ritual that' is more than talk of jade and silk." Xunzi comments, "If it is not timely and fitting, if it is not respectfully sociable, if it is not cheerfully enjoyed, although it may be beautiful, it is not ritual propriety."

http://faculty.plattsburgh.edu/kurtis.hagen/keyterms_ritual.html

Co-gnARR
01-06-16, 00:54
How to act in given situations, propriety and adherence to ethical and social norms.

l[/url]
This, and everything else 26inf posted.
I just learned this lesson the hard way, as my father in law is traditional Asian. No matter how wrong he is factually, nor how correct I am logically, my disagreeing with him is 1) disrespectful because I am much younger than he and 2) disrespectful because I am his subordinate via marriage.
Who cares what logic and western philosophy have determined as truth? If my father in law says the sky is pink because rainbow elephants dance there who am I to challenge that statement? I am merely some white western trash that had the honor of marrying his daughter.

Firefly
01-06-16, 05:47
Understood that Chinese characters have deep meanings (except when on tattoos), but still, I think a good command of one's own native language in both written and spoken forms is paramount.

Most people who read my writing can get a good idea of me before even meeting me. I think being able to represent one's self via letter or text is important.

Especially in a Facebook/text age where people go "Hey guyz lol r u coming over 4 mrio krt????"

SeriousStudent
01-07-16, 00:04
None of you listed BBQ.

It's like I don't even know you people.

Koshinn
01-07-16, 02:02
None of you listed BBQ.

It's like I don't even know you people.

The Six Arts of SeriousStudent:
1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Chicken
4. Steak
5. Sausage
6. ... Rifles

Big A
01-07-16, 09:34
The Six Arts of SeriousStudent:
1. Ribs
2. Brisket
3. Pork Butts
4. Whiskey
5. Cigars
6. Fireams Proficiency

FIFY.

Koshinn
01-07-16, 10:39
FIFY.

I'd only meet 3 of those arts :(

I guess I'm an uncultured barbarian!

Big A
01-07-16, 11:12
I'd only meet 3 of those arts :(

I guess I'm an uncultured barbarian!
Which 3?

You must unlearn what you have learned....

ETA:
Chicken is for frying, not smoking.

Koshinn
01-07-16, 11:19
Ribs, pork butt, and firearms, if I'm generous with the self-appraisal of my skills.