PDA

View Full Version : U.S. spec-ops team trapped and fighting for survival in Afghanistan

ABNAK
01-05-16, 18:21
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/06/us-troops-embroiled-in-firefight-after-helicopter-crash-in-afghanistan.html

It's in Marjah (Helmand Province). Weren't the Marines there during the "Surge" in Afghanistan a few years ago? At any rate it sounds like one of those epic tooth-and-nail, do-or-die shootouts.

Hope that AC-130 they have on-station chews those cocksuckers up real good.

Godspeed to our guys and RIP to the fallen.

Leuthas
01-05-16, 18:24
This is the moment where I get angry because there is literally nothing I can do to help those people, no matter how much I want to, and I have faith that only minimal efforts will be made by the powers that be - if at all.

WillBrink
01-05-16, 18:29
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/05/more-than-dozen-us-troops-trapped-amid-afghanistan-firefight.html?intcmp=hpbt3

It's in Marjah (Helmand Province). Weren't the Marines there during the "Surge" in Afghanistan a few years ago? At any rate it sounds like one of those epic tooth-and-nail, do-or-die shootouts.

That. Convert as many neck beards to red mist as possible.

ABNAK
01-05-16, 18:31
I was watching FOX while riding my bike on the trainer in the basement. They opened the Bret Baier show with this story, despite all the other shit going on today. I thought it was appropriate of them to do so (bet the other MSM outlets didn't lead with this story......probably babbled about their hero Obama's new gun EO's).

ColtSeavers
01-05-16, 18:34
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/05/more-than-dozen-us-troops-trapped-amid-afghanistan-firefight.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Thoughts and prayers for them. Shame that's about all I can do, but thoughts and prayers for them none-the-less.

Irish
01-05-16, 18:38
Light them the **** up! Carpet bomb the everliving shit out of everything, and anyone, within range of our boys.

Get home safe gentleman!

Eurodriver
01-05-16, 18:48
But? http://nypost.com/2014/12/28/war-in-afghanistan-officially-over-after-13-years/

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/md/public/2012/05/01/269401-obama-karzai.jpg

http://kevinwhiteman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/americaisatthemall-thumb.jpg

SeriousStudent
01-05-16, 19:55
Prayers and wishes for good luck sent. May they all come back.

Failure2Stop
01-05-16, 20:02
I was there in 09. Unpleasant.

May they find their way to safety.

ABNAK
01-05-16, 20:08
I thought it kind of odd that an engagement of this sort (i.e. not a major operation) would make same-day headline news. Slow news day for the press in Afghanistan? I'm glad it did as I firmly believe that our society needs to be WELL aware of the people who have stepped up to the plate on their behalf and the shit they go through doing so. I'm certainly not glad this happened but I am glad this has made a small mark in today's news. This wasn't an article from a week ago.

FlyingHunter
01-05-16, 20:21
Hopefully the Help Phone no longer rings at Hillary's desk, perhaps someone with courage will deploy a rapid and devastating rescue/counterattack to save these brave soldiers.

From the Washington Post 9 hours ago:

According to a U.S. defense official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss operational matters, some Afghans were wounded in the operation as well. The official said two helicopters were sent in to evacuate the wounded, but after landing, one helicopter struck a wall and was disabled. It is still stuck on the ground, while another helicopter was waved off because of heavy ground fire. The helicopters involved were two HH-60 Pavehawks, according to Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook.

“This is an ongoing situation, there is still a fight going on in the immediate surroundings,” Cook told reporters Tuesday afternoon. Cook added that because of the fighting the Pentagon doesn’t “have all the details surrounding what’s taking place.”

Wake27
01-06-16, 00:15
One American is confirmed KIA, and apparently the team has been exfil'd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Endur
01-06-16, 00:19
RIP.

Hopefully they put foot to a**.

Co-gnARR
01-06-16, 00:42
I followed the link but got an error, "file not available" or something. Reloaded page, same error...WTF?

ETA: after I posted this the link in OP's thread is not visible. Again, WTF?

SteyrAUG
01-06-16, 01:27
Not a peep on the evening news.

Nope...NOTHING about how Obama has left a skeleton crew to fend for themselves as the savages become stronger and bolder. But there was a great story about how Obama has finally taken on the evil gun lobby that wants dead children. And even though it was pointed out that all of his proposals would not have saved lives in the examples of "tragedies" he referenced we did get to hear the same tired old "If it save even one life..." line trotted out.

Been awhile since I've heard that one used, it truly is the mark of pointless and indefensible legislation or actions. Of course if Obama wanted to actually save lives, there are some guys in Afghanistan right now who could use some better support. Obama actually could have saved that "one life" today...that is if he was even interested.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-06-16, 02:08
I think it is telling that he even uses the word 'If'. He doesn't say 'when' or at least give us a number bigger than one with the 'if'.

ABNAK
01-06-16, 05:37
I followed the link but got an error, "file not available" or something. Reloaded page, same error...WTF?

ETA: after I posted this the link in OP's thread is not visible. Again, WTF?

I reposted the link in the OP. The original one didn't work for me either this morning but the new one does (for now at least).

Firefly
01-06-16, 05:38
I think it is telling that he even uses the word 'If'. He doesn't say 'when' or at least give us a number bigger than one with the 'if'.

Yep. Focusing on bullshit while ignoring real shit.

Kenyan president, Kenyan results

Failure2Stop
01-06-16, 09:10
From a member:

I don't have enough posts to post in GD...

I'm assigned to SOJTF-A...without violating OPSEC, the fight is very much being taken to the BGs...and are fighting the odds every second. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers; especially for the fallen. When it gets all said and done, everyone will be pissed how this went down (the enemy's actions).

mtdawg169
01-06-16, 09:31
From a member:
Thanks for the update Jack.

JackFanToM
01-06-16, 09:43

Nope...NOTHING about how Obama has left a skeleton crew to fend for themselves as the savages become stronger and bolder. But there was a great story about how Obama has finally taken on the evil gun lobby that wants dead children. And even though it was pointed out that all of his proposals would not have saved lives in the examples of "tragedies" he referenced we did get to hear the same tired old "If it save even one life..." line trotted out.

Been awhile since I've heard that one used, it truly is the mark of pointless and indefensible legislation or actions. Of course if Obama wanted to actually save lives, there are some guys in Afghanistan right now who could use some better support. Obama actually could have saved that "one life" today...that is if he was even interested.

100% agree with Steyr on this. Our Country's priorities have become shamefully misguided. Our brothers overseas volunteered to defend our rights to whine about our pomp and circumstance, and the absolute very least we can do is be vigilant and send help when needed.

7.62NATO
01-06-16, 09:45
100% agree with Steyr on this. Our Country's priorities have become shamefully misguided. Our brothers overseas volunteered to defend our rights to whine about our pomp and circumstance, and the absolute very least we can do is be vigilant and send help when needed.

What rights? You don't have any rights.

ABNAK
01-06-16, 09:49
From a member:

Thanks Jack. At least it sounds like we're whacking some of the bastards.

Mauser KAR98K
01-06-16, 10:35
From a member:

Give that man a waiver.

Here is to those guys kicking ass and taking names. Damn shame of the loss.

I don't think this will hit the news as it doesn't make Obama look good.

Benito
01-06-16, 14:50

I have never seen an administration in history that overtly despises this country and the military as much as this one, nor one that sympathizes with the enemy as much.
American troops get shafted day after day, scandal after scandal, while terrorists are freed left, right, and center, given advance warning of airstrikes so they can clear out, negotiated with, paid and supplied weapons.
I know this administration isn't totally unique in all regards, but it is unique in how far it's gone in each of these regards.
The American public's patience seems to be infinite.

Kenyan president, Kenyan results

That right there is both funny, and disturbingly true.

What rights? You don't have any rights.
Not unless you're a jihadi. Then you have all sorts of rights. Religious rights, unlimited free speech, the right to not have your social media looked at, etc. Hell, the SCOTUS will probably eventually rule that a trial by a jury of your peers will mean that Muslims on trial (Islamophobic in and of itself) will require juries comprised of their fellow Muslims. Thus, any acts that comply with Sharia will be good to go.
Sorry not sorry for the rant.

Moose-Knuckle
01-06-16, 16:46
From a member:
I don't have enough posts to post in GD...

I'm assigned to SOJTF-A...without violating OPSEC, the fight is very much being taken to the BGs...and are fighting the odds every second. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers; especially for the fallen. When it gets all said and done, everyone will be pissed how this went down (the enemy's actions).

At this point, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if POTUS or "someone in his administration" had compromised them or something to that effect . . .

jwinch2
01-06-16, 17:14
Some analysis of the situation.

http://sofrep.com/45772/special-forces-soldiers-left-flapping-in-the-breeze-in-marjah-afghanistan/

skydivr
01-06-16, 17:53

http://sofrep.com/45772/special-forces-soldiers-left-flapping-in-the-breeze-in-marjah-afghanistan/

Makes me want to say "F___ Collateral Damage".....

Alex V
01-06-16, 18:10
Disgusting. Meanwhile that big eared asswipe is squeezing out fake tears on national television. What a f#[king tool

dwhitehorne
01-06-16, 19:33
Reading that just make my blood boil. Damn it.

jwinch2
01-06-16, 22:11

Mine too. I'm sick of armchair warriors treating our bravest as if they mattered not at all.

Scrubber3
01-06-16, 23:12
This happens way more often than it should.... So .. Nah, I'll keep my fingers in check. Personal advancement seems to trump everything now.

Benito
01-07-16, 01:16
At this point, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if POTUS or "someone in his administration" had compromised them or something to that effect . . .

I'm well past the stage of not being surprised at "someone in the administration" sabotaging our military and country. I fully expect that someone in the administration compromises or doesn't lift a finger to help when the lives of our men and women are on the line.

King George really wasn't that bad compared to this Kenyan Muslim "community organizer" that mysteriously came out of nowhere to be hoisted upon us as Lord and Savior.

platoonDaddy
01-07-16, 07:51
The POS of WH Press Secretary and Pentagon Spokesperson, yesterday refused to call it COMBAT! Friggin administration is just worthless.

– A U.S. Special Operations service member was killed and two others were injured after coming under enemy fire in Afghanistan’s Helmand province Tuesday, but asked whether this meant U.S. troops were engaged in combat, a Pentagon spokesman said repeatedly that they were there in their mandated mission to “train, advise, assist” Afghan forces.

WillBrink
01-07-16, 08:21

WTF? First, I don't know the accuracy of that source, but taking it on face value as accurate:

"Worse yet, command would not authorize fire support from a circling AC-130 gunship due to fears of collateral damage."

Avoiding collateral damage is preferred when possible, but not always possible, and there's nothing I'm aware of (and I'm not an expert as to what was available or in the inventory so correct me as needed) able to strike with more pin point accuracy than that gun ship.

Averageman
01-07-16, 08:31
Avoiding collateral damage is preferred when possible, but not always possible, and there's nothing I'm aware of (and I'm not an expert as to what was available or in the inventory so correct me as needed) able to strike with more pin point accuracy than that gun ship.

At this point in the GWOT, we still haven't learned that our enemies will continue to use an ability to take advantage of collateral damage and the ROE to/and create a situation in which collateral damage is used as cover during the fight?
I'm getting a bit tired of our enemies being able to feign outrage when someone who is being shot at from, or weapons and ammunition are being stored in a mosque or hospital and even the slightest damage occurs to the building or the combatants inside who are using it.
At some point we might want to take the gloves off in these situations.

ABNAK
01-07-16, 08:34
WTF? First, I don't know the accuracy of that source, but taking it on face value as accurate:

"Worse yet, command would not authorize fire support from a circling AC-130 gunship due to fears of collateral damage."

Excellent point right there. In an ideal situation.... and all that. From what I've been told by those who've BTDT "Murphy" is driving the train in combat so that "ideal" situation is rare. And yeah, my knowledge of Spectre is that it is pretty damn precise. Can you imagine being on that bird and seeing all the shit unfolding below and KNOWING damn well you could put a hurting on some bad guys but are denied permission to engage?

From the sofrep article: Eventually, the command allowed AC-130 to fire a whopping two 40mm rounds into an open field a weak show of force to the Taliban. Are you f*****g kidding me??????

Talon167
01-07-16, 09:07
Oh man.... good luck, guys. :-(

Dienekes
01-07-16, 11:43
King George really wasn't that bad compared to this Kenyan Muslim "community organizer" that mysteriously came out of nowhere to be hoisted upon us as Lord and Savior.

As a history buff, I semi-neglected that period of US history until the last few years; but I did find myself wondering how a significant percentage of American colonists evolved from "loyal subjects of the King" to rebellious subjects. Quite the cautionary tale. It appears to me that in comparison we are far more put upon by our current "leaders" than they were, and with potentially far worse consequences.

Am I worried? Damn straight.

Moose-Knuckle
01-07-16, 14:16

Same thing Clinton the 1st did during Gothic Serpent.

WillBrink
01-07-16, 18:30

Did the AH/MH-6 Little Birds they had on station not get sent to make skinny's into red mist as best they could? I do recall forces from other nations on the area with tanks etc refused to leave their compounds to help assist until the heavy lifting was done. I'd thought of that one as a sever underestimation of the enemies capabilities and resolve and not bringing enough guys and guns to the fight vs telling AC-130 gunships etc to stand down.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-16, 00:42
Did the AH/MH-6 Little Birds they had on station not get sent to make skinny's into red mist as best they could?

The AH-6J Gunships did the best they could at dispatching enemy combatants but not as effective as an AC-130 would have been. Hence the request by Garrison. IIRC the Hydra 70 rockets and their pods were experimental on the AH-6Js and used out of desperation. We have a few 160th SOAR Vets on here so maybe they can clear that one up for me.

I do recall forces from other nations on the area with tanks etc refused to leave their compounds to help assist until the heavy lifting was done. I'd thought of that one as a sever underestimation of the enemies capabilities and resolve and not bringing enough guys and guns to the fight vs telling AC-130 gunships etc to stand down.

According to the book the UN forces were at the soccer stadium to include the 10th Mountain Division. A UN General refused/delayed to help because he was not informed of the operation from the beginning. Then during the night a UN force consisting of Pakistani and Malaysian peace keepers were sent in with APCs to aid in exfil.

After the second Black Hawk was lost and the city poured out on the crash sites there would have been a different outcome had an AC-130 been on station.

I don't pretend to know what I don't know but Clinton and now Obama refused CAS for troops in contact. That is criminal.

SteyrAUG
01-08-16, 00:59

Beat me to it. The only other person to show a similar disdain for military forces.

In Clinton's case he was an draft dodging POS who viewed the military as a bunch of nazi's to be kept in check, when he should have been looking at his own AG.

In Obama's case the military is actually the enemy fighting his fellow muslims.

SteyrAUG
01-08-16, 01:11
Did the AH/MH-6 Little Birds they had on station not get sent to make skinny's into red mist as best they could? I do recall forces from other nations on the area with tanks etc refused to leave their compounds to help assist until the heavy lifting was done. I'd thought of that one as a sever underestimation of the enemies capabilities and resolve and not bringing enough guys and guns to the fight vs telling AC-130 gunships etc to stand down.

Prior to even heading out to Bakara market, command requested light armor and AC-130s for support, both of which were denied because Clinton was more worried about his image rather than protecting our troops. They could have had twice as many guys but they went up against a hostile population and a enemy force of 4,000 to 6,000 fighters. Even if they rolled out with 500 men, there was no avoiding a long protracted firefight. The fact that they only had 18 KIA and 73 wounded is simply amazing.

But if they had the protection of light armored vehicles and support from AC-130s they could have shut that crap down completely as soon as it started. Ironically this would have also saved Somali lives, having to fight them as long as they did they killed somewhere between 350-500 fighters. The collateral damage from an AC-130 bringing the party to a swift conclusion would probably have resulted in less than 100 dead.

If you are worried about collateral damage, you end the fight as decisively and quickly as possible. Once the enemy understands they are not going to win, people stop dying. Half assed measures and appearing vulnerable keep the fight going and get more people killed. Sadly politicians are generally completely ignorant of this fact or they ignore it because they fear a "militaristic" image.

WillBrink
01-08-16, 08:29
Prior to even heading out to Bakara market, command requested light armor and AC-130s for support, both of which were denied because Clinton was more worried about his image rather than protecting our troops. They could have had twice as many guys but they went up against a hostile population and a enemy force of 4,000 to 6,000 fighters. Even if they rolled out with 500 men, there was no avoiding a long protracted firefight. The fact that they only had 18 KIA and 73 wounded is simply amazing.

But if they had the protection of light armored vehicles and support from AC-130s they could have shut that crap down completely as soon as it started. Ironically this would have also saved Somali lives, having to fight them as long as they did they killed somewhere between 350-500 fighters. The collateral damage from an AC-130 bringing the party to a swift conclusion would probably have resulted in less than 100 dead.

If you are worried about collateral damage, you end the fight as decisively and quickly as possible. Once the enemy understands they are not going to win, people stop dying. Half assed measures and appearing vulnerable keep the fight going and get more people killed. Sadly politicians are generally completely ignorant of this fact or they ignore it because they fear a "militaristic" image.

Indeed, but my point/confusion is in the recent event there was the gun ship on station but not able to engage, in the second case, there was no gun ship to stand down. It was not there due to hand ringing PC nonsense, but it was not on station as it was in this recent event. The two events are not 1:1 i that respect as I had thought Moose-Knuckle was suggesting there were gun ships om station but never employed. One happened pre mission, one happened during. End result essentially the same, but not identical situations if I have my facts lined up correctly.

The_War_Wagon
01-08-16, 08:40
One bit of good news, but the MSM will hush this up, too. :rolleyes:

Navy SEAL Congressman Leads Inquiry into Obama’s Policies Leaving Troops In Harms Way in Marjah, Afghanistan (http://sofrep.com/45826/navy-seal-congressman-leads-congressional-inquiry-into-obamas-afghan-quagmire/)

Press Release

Zinke Leads Coalition of Lawmakers Demanding Answers in Marjah

(WASHINGTON) January 7, 2016 – Today, retired Navy SEAL Commander Rep. Ryan Zinke (R-MT) and five of his colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee wrote to Secretary of Defense Ash Carter to formally request a Congressional briefing from the Pentagon and possibly a Congressional investigation regarding the circumstances surrounding the death of the U.S. Army Special Operations Staff Sgt. Matthew McClintock in Marjah, Afghanistan, earlier this week. Members signing the letter include Reps. Duncan Hunter (CA), Trent Franks (AR), Jackie Walorski (IN), Elise Stefanik (NY), and Steve Russell (OK).

The group is calling for answers after media reports corroborated what Rep. Zinke was hearing from members of the Special Forces community, mainly that air support from a AC-130 gunship was waived off, and the “QRF”, or quick reaction force, which provides backup and rescue in these situations, was delayed due to bureaucratic hurdles and the Administration’s notoriously restrictive rules of engagement.

“I’ve commanded some of the finest Special Forces our nation has seen, and to think that these guys were abandoned by Washington while they were under enemy fire is unthinkable and frankly against everything the U.S. military stands for. If there was a decision to delay the QRF or call off air strikes on enemy combatants after the ground commanders ordered it, due to overly-restrictive rules of engagement or political pressure, to me that is a clear dereliction of duty.

“We stand in full support behind the U.S. military. We will be getting to the bottom of this. Staff Sgt. Matthew McClintock, his family and his unit deserve for the truth to be out there, and we need to make sure this does not happen again.”

Despite the fact the Obama Administration continually tells the news media the U.S. is not in combat in Afghanistan, it is very clear we are. Just a few weeks ago, a suicide bomber killed six U.S. troops at Bagram Air Base.

Zinke has long been a critic of the rapid drawdown of troops, restrictive rules of engagement, and the sporadic usage of Special Forces because it leaves our troops without the right tools and backup, like the QRF, needed in dangerous situations. (Washington Times OpEd Feb 2015) (Feb 2015)

Rep. Ryan Zinke is a retired Navy SEAL Commander. His 23-year career included assignments with SEAL Teams One and Six and leading BUD/S training. In 2004, Zinke served as the Acting and Deputy Commander of Joint Special Operations in Iraq where he led 3,500 special operations personnel and led hundreds of missions.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/45826/navy-seal-congressman-leads-congressional-inquiry-into-obamas-afghan-quagmire/#ixzz3wfDcqhdo

Benito
01-08-16, 16:48
Beat me to it. The only other person to show a similar disdain for military forces.

In Clinton's case he was an draft dodging POS who viewed the military as a bunch of nazi's to be kept in check, when he should have been looking at his own AG.

In Obama's case the military is actually the enemy fighting his fellow muslims.

That's not Emperor Hussein's view of just the military. That's his view of America itself. That's why he wants to "fundamentally transform" it.

ColtSeavers
01-08-16, 17:02
It's a disgustingly sad day when the people you've specifically trained to do exactly what you sent them to do are left to flounder. What an embarrassment.

I really want to make a dumb@$$ comment about might as well let females into the SOF community because when things like this hapen, I can't see the retention rates staying too high and there's the added bonus of being able to point out that females are now being left to flounder as well which would hopefully get them help sooner... But I'm ever so slightly out of my element.

SteyrAUG
01-08-16, 17:35
It's a disgustingly sad day when the people you've specifically trained to do exactly what you sent them to do are left to flounder. What an embarrassment.

I really want to make a dumb@$$ comment about might as well let females into the SOF community because when things like this hapen, I can't see the retention rates staying too high and there's the added bonus of being able to point out that females are now being left to flounder as well which would hopefully get them help sooner... But I'm ever so slightly out of my element.

The solution is obvious the "All Islam 87 Special Forces Group" similar to the Nisei division. A dedicated SOF group created for those who wish to serve while observing their faith without the troubles that often occur when integrated with other faith groups. They can have dedicated Sunni teams for fighting Shia and dedicated Shia teams for fighting Sunnis.

They would bring special knowledge of local customs and beliefs to the conflict that would allow them to be more effective force multipliers. Rather than a segregated unit, they would be an elite special application unit.

platoonDaddy
01-09-16, 12:00
One bit of good news, but the MSM will hush this up, too. :rolleyes:

Navy SEAL Congressman Leads Inquiry into Obama’s Policies Leaving Troops In Harms Way in Marjah, Afghanistan (http://sofrep.com/45826/navy-seal-congressman-leads-congressional-inquiry-into-obamas-afghan-quagmire/)

Few paragraphs of his letter to Carter:
At any point during the firefight did the current rules of engagement restrict the immediate use of assets on hand? Has there been any consideration in altering the current rules of engagement to be less restrictive in the future?

Did the U.S. or ANDSF have any air assets available in the region to support the forces that were engaged on the ground? Was there ever any request for air support? At any time was the use of air support not authorized out of concerns for collateral damage?

How long did the firefight last? What was the distance between the location of the firefight and the nearest QRF? Why did it take so long for a QRF to reach the engaged US and Afghan personnel?

What was the time between the request for additional support and the time that support was authorized? What was the chain of command that had the authorization to issue that support? At any time was that decision delegated to anyone outside of CENTCOM?