PDA

View Full Version : Any drone enthusiast/hobbiest?

elephant
01-06-16, 00:51
I got a DJI Phantom 3 Professional with a 4k camera the other day. I haven't got a chance to fly it yet but will in a couple of weeks after vacation. Ive been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials and how-to videos. Something I have always wanted to do was to film and so I plan on learning how to use this for filming but I got to fly first. Just wondering if any other fly any quads or drones and what you do with them.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-06-16, 01:13
I'm more into remote control planes- micro size so I don't have to worry about being heavier than two sticks of butter.

Love to see some footage.

wilson1911
01-06-16, 03:06
I have done airplanes and helo's. Not gotten into the car/trucks.

Drones are easy to fly compared to a helo. Just make sure you get a good radio and don't skimp on batteries.

Honu
01-06-16, 03:57
want to get into drones :) photographer full time so want to work it into my work :)

TheChunkNorris
01-06-16, 03:57
My brother is huge into it and I operate(Pilot) a rather large Drone. The Phantom is a more stable platform for video and a lot of people use them for family events, race day, boating and etc. The 4k camera is good and I think it's gimbaled so you can move it and it's gyro'd (always centered and not bumpy).

Hmac
01-06-16, 06:16
Use an iPad for your dashboard and FPV, and get a good sunshade for it. Goggles like Shark would be best, but spendy. Make sure you've enabled Home Lock in the IOC (may not be available yet). Figuring out which way the drone is pointed is tough once it get out about 100 yards or more and it's nice to be able to pull back on the directional stick to bring it home no matter which way it's pointed.

These quads are a blast. They aren't really about flying, they're about the photography. Flying the thing isn't really a challenge, nor particularly gratifying, but the photography is. You'll get images and videos you've never imagined. The Phantom 3 is a huge upgrade to the Phantom 2, which in itself is an excellent drone.

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 08:04
Can someone help me understand the legality of FPV and RC aircraft?

The information circulating is about as bad as the general public's understanding of NFA.

I think it is about the coolest thing ever, but I don't want to drop a single cent on something that I can't actually play with.

thecolter
01-06-16, 08:51
I've owned a Phantom 3 Advanced (1080p camera) since around August and love it so far. One of the coolest things about the drone is how the change in perspective makes something you see every day instantly become very interesting. You can get some truly amazing shots with them in both stills and video. The same rules of thumb apply as general photography in that the golden hours (before dusk / after dawn) are the best times to get some truly stunning shots.

Just be safe flying, stay under 400’, and stay away from areas you shouldn’t be operating in.

Here's a video I put together from Labor Day at the lake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHFGL1Oj8M

Hmac
01-06-16, 09:14
Can someone help me understand the legality of FPV and RC aircraft?

The information circulating is about as bad as the general public's understanding of NFA.

I think it is about the coolest thing ever, but I don't want to drop a single cent on something that I can't actually play with.

They want you to be flying within line-of-sight. Historically (and I think currently under the new drone rules) the concept of "community standards" has been a key concept in FAA oversight of UAS operations, including standard R/C aircraft. As "community standards", they generally look to the Academy of Model Aeronautics to define that. FYI, here's the AMA's rule on FPV:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 09:42
Roger that, and thanks for the link.

The individuals that I personally encountered were definitely flying FPV BLOS. The flying wing they were using was approximately 4-5 miles out. Approximately 200' in altitude.

They want you to be flying within line-of-sight. Historically (and I think currently under the new drone rules) the concept of "community standards" has been a key concept in FAA oversight of UAS operations, including standard R/C aircraft. As "community standards", they generally look to the Academy of Model Aeronautics to define that. FYI, here's the AMA's rule on FPV:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

Hmac
01-06-16, 09:49
Roger that, and thanks for the link.

The individuals that I personally encountered were definitely flying FPV BLOS. The flying wing they were using was approximately 4-5 miles out. Approximately 200' in altitude.

I know. I've seen the videos. As a long-time R/C builder and flyer and full-scale pilot, I think it is extremely cool.

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 10:07
Dude, they let me try view it through their FatShark goggles, and it was absolutely stunning. Seriously gave me a sense of childlike wonder, and as a grizzled, cynical old bastard, that's saying something.

My pilot buddy HATES FPV with a burning passion, and views it as a threat to public safety.

I would LOVE to get into FPV *if* I could use it lawfully BLOS.

I know. I've seen the videos. As a long-time R/C builder and flyer and full-scale pilot, I think it is extremely cool.

Abraham
01-06-16, 10:41
I wish you guys well.

That said, I'm assuming you've no plans to film private property?

If I were to see one hovering over my house/yard, I'd be tempted to do some wing shooting.

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 10:58
While your property extends to the center of the earth, you own zero of the airspace above it.

I wish you guys well.

If I were to see one hovering over my house/yard, I'd be tempted to do some wing shooting.

Hmac
01-06-16, 11:06
I wish you guys well.

Probably cost you some money, especially now that the FAA has decided that it's an aircraft, but I'll bet you'd feel good doing it. Fire away, I say.

signal4l
01-06-16, 11:18
I just ordered one of these:

http://axisdrones.com/products/vidius-the-worlds-smallest-fpv-drone

Probably more of a toy than the higher end models. Should be fun for my son to use. I have been interested in drones for a while but have no desire to spend a lot of money or get licensed by rhe FAA

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 12:05
Son?

Please! Dude, you'll love that thing too.

I just ordered one of these:

http://axisdrones.com/products/vidius-the-worlds-smallest-fpv-drone

Probably more of a toy than the higher end models. Should be fun for my son to use. I have been interested in drones for a while but have no desire to spend a lot of money or get licensed by rhe FAA

Hmac
01-06-16, 12:14
In my mind, these drones are completely different from R/C aircraft...setting aside the fact that they actually are R/C aircraft, I see the implementation of the drone hobby as unrelated to R/C. For me, with R/C, it's always been the building, modifying, the flying, implementing the technology, and hanging out at the field with the guys. With the drone, there's no challenge to the flying, nor is it a social event, it's all about the photography. I find that to be very cool and a lot of fun, but in a completely different way.

That's assuming one is buying an RTF drone. The technology involved in building such a thing is a whole different thing and a hobby unto itself that really is pretty unrelated to either R/C or drone flying.

signal4l
01-06-16, 12:42
Outlander---

You are correct. :)

elephant
01-06-16, 14:58
Well, I think a lot of the public is confused and also worried that drone pilots will violate there privacy. As with all things, there will be people who abuse there freedom and cause legislation (fun police) to start writing laws. I heard its good to keep a log of flight time and flight hours since within 10 years it may be a requirement to have a license to pilot any rc aircraft.

I have a Freewing Eurofighter 12 ch with retracts
its over 4 feet long and powered by a 90mm 14 blade EDF running on 6s. I have a Sony action cam in the cockpit and it gives a realistic perspective view of a pilot. I put led lights behing the instrument cluster to give a more realistic cockpit.
I have made a few short videos while flying over the desert area in mid and west Texas. The problem is landing, I can take off in 30 feet or less but I need 100+ feet to land so I have to drive out a little ways to fly it.
With a drone I can fly in relatively close to home but there is nothing worth filming. I might make a weekend trip out to Guadalupe mountains national park to get some good space and something worth filming.

nova3930
01-06-16, 15:09
I built several for the AUVSI student UAS competition in college. I helped design and build the immediate predecessor to this one from the ground up, including fabrication of composite components from tooling to completion....

http://xipiter.org/web/xawk-x-2c-uas/

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 15:32
Are you a Techie?

The dudes at GT are absolutely hardcore into building hobbyist UAVs.

I built several for the AUVSI student UAS competition in college. I helped design and build the immediate predecessor to this one from the ground up, including fabrication of composite components from tooling to completion....

http://xipiter.org/web/xawk-x-2c-uas/

nova3930
01-06-16, 15:56
Are you a Techie?

The dudes at GT are absolutely hardcore into building hobbyist UAVs.

I guess you could say that. Aero engineering degree with all sorts of geeky mechanically based hobbies....

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 16:59
Roger that.

I should clarify, "Techie" is a slang term around here for Georgia Tech grads. I spend 40-hours a week around a small army of "Techies" and apparently drone building is a huge thing on campus.

I guess you could say that. Aero engineering degree with all sorts of geeky mechanically based hobbies....

nova3930
01-06-16, 17:35
Roger that.

I should clarify, "Techie" is a slang term around here for Georgia Tech grads. I spend 40-hours a week around a small army of "Techies" and apparently drone building is a huge thing on campus.

Oh no I graduated from MS State

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
01-06-16, 19:33
I need one of these right now.

How do I get one that flies really far, really high, and I can use FPV?

Outlander Systems
01-06-16, 19:41
Go to http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp

Buy a Skywalker X8.

Buy some FatShark goggles.

Buy whatever you need to power the Skywalker X8.

Proceed to live out your Predator Operator fantasies.

If you can watch this, and not think it is cool as hell, your inner child is dead:

http://youtu.be/JJQ18UI6sSw

ETA: Money Shot is @ 3:55

I need one of these right now.

How do I get one that flies really far, really high, and I can use FPV?

elephant
01-07-16, 01:09
Eurodriver: if your going to buy something that can fly far and high and have FPV, I would look into a UAV that has GPS and a FMS (flight management system) so you can set way points and a flight plan. Those are not toys but expensive equipment that requires constant firmware updates, compass and gyro calibrations. For long duration flights, I would suggest a aircraft with a large enough battery to support high altitudes as well as flight time. My Phantom 3 is capable of 23 minute flight times and a max altitude around 2500' above sea level, however 4600' ceiling has been achieved but not recommended. I have a 4k camera built in where I can use my iPad mini as my video feed monitor, I can also adjust video settings, iso, shutter speed and calibrate flight plan from my iPad as well. The phantom3 is around $1500, the D3R is around $1300- the D3R uses a gopro on a 3 axis gimbal and offers FPV through video feed uplink. The Skywalker X8 Outlander Systems is talking about is almost 6 feet long, not exactly a simple, throw in your back seat kind of aircraft but it fly's exceptionally well for a flying wing. The videos on YouTube are amazing and the high lift capabilities offer an advantage to carry more weight like extra go pros or action cams. In the video, the aircraft is about 10,000 feet- I would think you would need FFA approval for that cruising altitude but not sure. Its fun though, I think making a small scale Global Hawk would be awesome with a pan and tilt 4k camera with a FLIR attachment. Or a Predator with a 50cc 4 cylinder with 3 gallon fuel tank for 4-6 hour flight time.

Hmac
01-07-16, 06:36
In the video, the aircraft is about 10,000 feet- I would think you would need FFA approval for that cruising altitude but not sure. Its fun though, I think making a small scale Global Hawk would be awesome with a pan and tilt 4k camera with a FLIR attachment. Or a Predator with a 50cc 4 cylinder with 3 gallon fuel tank for 4-6 hour flight time.

I think it would be a blast, but airplane FPV would be a major committment in time, tools, equipment, and study. Not to mention the fact that flying FPV beyond visual range is illegal as the laws currently stand.

Outlander Systems
01-07-16, 07:21
This is what chaps my ass.

If there is a licensing requirement...whatever...I would do it. Is there no legal way to operate BLOS?

Not to mention the fact that flying FPV beyond visual range is illegal as the laws currently stand.

Hmac
01-07-16, 08:12
This is what chaps my ass.

If there is a licensing requirement...whatever...I would do it. Is there no legal way to operate BLOS?
Pretty murky landscape, but if we're going beyond visual range then we're likely talking about something that does NOT fall under the exclusions offered by the aircraft being a "model aircraft". So, likely the regulatory functions would be the same as for full-scale....registered aircraft with airworthiness certificate and a pilot's license for the pilot. Like I said though...murky.

http://www.dronejournalism.org/news/2015/3/flights-beyond-visual-range-still-unresolved-in-us

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a15382/faa-drones-line-of-sight/

Eurodriver
01-07-16, 08:24
When you guys say "expensive equipment" how expensive are we talking? Am I better off buying a FLIR T70 and slaying hogs?

I have been into RC airplanes forever, but got out of it because of how, as was mentioned, it's impossible to fly if you don't know where your nose is pointed. Plus there is really no "take home" with it. Having a camera and FPV would be the most epic thing ever.

Hmac
01-07-16, 08:32
When you guys say "expensive equipment" how expensive are we talking? Am I better off buying a FLIR T70 and slaying hogs?
No clue, but I'm guessing maybe a $1500-$2000 all in, maybe less.

Outlander Systems
01-07-16, 08:35
At one point I priced out building a similar setup to the one in the video, and remember being at a "stack" ($1,000) or less.

I have been into RC airplanes forever, but got out of it because of how, as was mentioned, it's impossible to fly if you don't know where your nose is pointed. Plus there is really no "take home" with it. Having a camera and FPV would be the most epic thing ever.

Outlander Systems
01-07-16, 12:35
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3387542/The-MEGADRONE-big-carry-passenger-Chinese-firm-says-self-flying-craft-used-smart-taxi.html

Shit. Just. Got. Real.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/06/20/2FDAE22600000578-3387542-image-a-30_1452112176590.jpg

Hmac
01-07-16, 12:42
Ho boy! I'd certainly want to see how that works in China, then see how the thing might survive the regulatory process in the US.

elephant
01-07-16, 18:23
Expensive is relative, Pick your aircraft first, that's your hard cost. Then pick out a camera capable of streaming a live video feed through a uplink. Pick a FMS, GPS and 5.8Ghz antenna to send real time info to transmitter. Then pick up a transmitter that can operate aircraft and camera functions and a monitor or/ FPV goggles to view the FPV. $1000 can get you a birds eye view and allow you to capture and film but with limited range and endurance. Spend a little more and you can get auto stabilization with gyros and visual ground sensors.

The stuff people are building now from scratch are balsa and ply aircraft with built in wifi, GPS, FMS, auto pilot, on board computers that can automatically adjust to changes in wind speed and direction, change heading, altitude and they even have the ASSX3 systems which feature auto land, coarse correction, and telemetry data recorders, engine sensors, battery sensors, electronic sensors etc. Of coarse these people are flying over the pacific ocean looking for whales and across vast areas of unforgiving terrain.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-16, 03:39
So you boys registered your drones yet? ** wink . . . wink **

Heard yesterday that since 12/21/15 over 100K have been registered. How are they not going to muck that up . . .

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-16, 03:39
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3387542/The-MEGADRONE-big-carry-passenger-Chinese-firm-says-self-flying-craft-used-smart-taxi.html

Shit. Just. Got. Real.

Well that is no longer a UAV is it? I guess we finally have are flying cars gents.

elephant
01-08-16, 08:44
I registered mine, I even have a tail number. You don't actual register your aircraft, the FAA doesn't ask for serial numbers or make or model, basically just want people to understand where not to fly and don't take your aircraft to countries like Iran and N Korea.

Hmac
01-08-16, 11:34
Well that is no longer a UAV is it? I guess we finally have are flying cars gents.

Drone with passenger. It's entirely autonomous...doesn't even have an opportunity to control it.

The advantage to autonomous flight planning is the elimination of humans wandering into airspace where they shouldn't either because it's restricted or because there is other air traffic. That would be controllable by ATC or by the networked flight programming, either before or during the flight. The computer route for the drone would be networked so that its route can be designed not to conflict with other traffic.

The concept looks really cool, just like every other flying car system out there. The technology to build it exists and would be relatively easy to implement, in fact already has been implemented. To do so economically (especially if the thing has a one-passenger payload) is very problematic, and even more so when we begin to figure out how these fit within the national airspace system.

China is one thing. Don't look for these anytime soon in the US. Regulatory hurdles will be profound.

Outlander Systems
01-08-16, 11:50
I would be 100% behind passenger drones if there was a failsafe mode where the passenger could move from passive to active control of the unit. Or, for licensed pilots, a manual version.

Drone with passenger. It's entirely autonomous...doesn't even have an opportunity to control it.

The advantage to autonomous flight planning is the elimination of humans wandering into airspace where they shouldn't either because it's restricted or because there is other air traffic. That would be controllable by ATC or by the networked flight programming, either before or during the flight. The computer route for the drone would be networked so that its route can be designed not to conflict with other traffic.

The concept looks really cool, just like every other flying car system out there. The technology to build it exists and would be relatively easy to implement, in fact already has been implemented. To do so economically (especially if the thing has a one-passenger payload) is very problematic, and even more so when we begin to figure out how these fit within the national airspace system.

China is one thing. Don't look for these anytime soon in the US. Regulatory hurdles will be profound.

Hmac
01-08-16, 13:23
I would be 100% behind passenger drones if there was a failsafe mode where the passenger could move from passive to active control of the unit. Or, for licensed pilots, a manual version.

Or a ballistic parachute and minimum 500 foot transit altitude.

elephant
01-08-16, 16:35
Or a ballistic parachute and minimum 500 foot transit altitude.
The Cirrus SR22 needs more than 500 feet to deploy parachute doesn't it?

Hmac
01-08-16, 18:51
The Cirrus SR22 needs more than 500 feet to deploy parachute doesn't it?

Yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of a Second Chantz system. I'm guessing an ultra light system would be more suitable.

elephant
01-08-16, 20:36
I guess autorotation is out of the question then?

TAZ
01-08-16, 20:47

It's all fun and games till the blue screen of death turns into the pink stain of death.

Outlander Systems
01-08-16, 21:02
Thanks for the LOLz!

That was classic.

It's all fun and games till the blue screen of death turns into the pink stain of death.

Hmac
01-08-16, 21:52
I guess autorotation is out of the question then?
Fixed pitch props. It would drop like a rock.

Hmac
01-08-16, 22:00
Oh yeah. You could have redundant electronics easy enough, but motors and batteries are heavy so backups would be problematic...lose one of those and time to hit the silk AFAIK.

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-16, 00:57

Gottcha, reminds me of when George Jestson would drop off Elroy and Judy at school and Jane at the mall.

Outlander Systems
07-31-16, 01:27
Bumping this.

Just saw the DJI Phantom 3 at my local Target for...$399!

You guys still having good luck with your DJIs?

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-16, 05:04
I need to get me one of these bad boys, but I'm sure they will be more regulated than a destructive device. Perhaps the FCC should start selling tax stamps.

Photo was taken at the Kara Soar Counter Fire Complex in northern Iraq recently.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8583/28053032083_7be00a4caa_b.jpg

Manufacturer's promo photo:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8297/28669140905_eb54178501_b.jpg

http://www.battelle.org/our-work/national-security/tactical-systems/battelle-dronedefender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Zvpx9fFsM

Honu
07-31-16, 05:36
interesting :)

I can see it being good and then being abused :) I wonder how many people will take down legal flying drones and what lawsuits will come from them :) ahhaahahah

considering todays society and suing that is :)

I need to get me one of these bad boys, but I'm sure they will be more regulated than a destructive device. Perhaps the FCC should start selling tax stamps.

Photo was taken at the Kara Soar Counter Fire Complex in northern Iraq recently.

http://www.battelle.org/our-work/national-security/tactical-systems/battelle-dronedefender

GH41
07-31-16, 07:43
Max dram 4's would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

cbx
07-31-16, 13:29

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8583/28053032083_7be00a4caa_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8297/28669140905_eb54178501_b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Zvpx9fFsM
I wondered how long before an electronic countermeasure for these were a thing.

Had some A hole buzzing us with a phantom last night........ I get it. I geek out on them too. But peeping....gtfo..... I gave the camera the bird.

I so wanted to shoot that damn thing. For all I know it's some perv trying to peep on the kids.

Outlander Systems
09-10-16, 18:14
Any of you DJI guys running the Litchi App?

https://youtu.be/TaEznMEsh7k

Hmac
09-10-16, 18:41
I'm still running a Phantom 2 (Vision +) so it's not applicable to me, but I'm on the very verge of getting a Phantom 4. I have a buddy with a Phantom 4 that runs Litchi and it has been utterly reliable for him and the mission capability is very, very cool. AFAICT from the Phantom forums, Litchi is very reliable.

Outlander Systems
09-10-16, 18:43
Roger that, thanks.

My brother turned me on to it this afternoon, as a suggestion in-lieu of a running an amplifier.

The Mission capability is giving me nerdgasms.

Hmac
09-20-16, 20:23
Roger that, thanks.

My brother turned me on to it this afternoon, as a suggestion in-lieu of a running an amplifier.

The Mission capability is giving me nerdgasms.

Nerdgasm indeed. I picked up a Phantom 4 the other day, replaces my Phantom 2. I downloaded Litchi to my iPad Pro and flew about 60 minutes of Litchi "missions" tonight, up and down my shoreline and across the bay. It's really outstanding software and the mission capability is very cool...blows away the standard DJI Go app. It's a weird feeling to design a mission, push the GO button and then just sit there and supervise while the quad does its business, then returns home all by itself. I never could bring myself to trust that Phantom 2 for flights that far and that long.

http://ssequine.net/shore2.jpg

Outlander Systems
09-21-16, 08:31
Gorgeous pic, bro.

I will have to pick up Litchi. I've yet to hear any negatives, and my biggest concern was instability. My buddy installed it on his recently acquired 3ADV, and has had zero issues.

Have you seen the leaks on the Mavic?

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/09/dji-mavic-images-emerge/

Hmac
09-21-16, 09:43
The Mavic looks like it's designed to compete in the same space as the GoPro Karma. Smart marketing. Based on the Karma specs, it looks like there is at least some compromise of range and battery for backpackability. Both appear to be designed for the action category, as opposed to the Phantom which looks to be a full-on photography platform.

LItchi has been completely glitch-free for me and the 8-10 flights I've used it. It's very intuitive, and I really like the ability to just be able to sit down at the kitchen table and take all the time necessary to design a mission, marking waypoints on the displayed Google map then upload the whole mission to the drone just before takeoff. With the DJI GO app, you actually have to hand fly the drone to each waypoint and then mark them. Likewise, you can design a mission to orbit a point of interest without actually having to hand--fly it there first. I particularly like the abilty to control the direction that the camera is pointing separate from the course that the drone is flying. You can also pre-program speed and altitude between each waypoint as well as where the gimbal is focused.

Http://ssequine.net/litchi.jpg

tb-av
09-21-16, 10:06
Man that Litchi deals looks fantastic. So do you have to subscribe to the web site as well? Is it a paid service?

It's a weird feeling to design a mission, push the GO button So with that app, are you pretty much the camera operator at that point? I watched one vid and the guy said he was controlling the speed. So what exactly do you control adn what does it do itself. Obviously it follows it's path.

The one I watched said to be careful of terrain changes as it has no obstruction avoidance either. I don;t know if I mis-understood him or what. I don't see why terrain would be an issue unless he meant don't fly it into a hill or building or something if the terrain drops or rises drastically. I suppose he meant if you were on a mountain top and going down to a lake, maybe there could be a tower or something you could run into if you didn't plan and know your path.

ETA: What do you guys think of the new registrations/regulations. Isn't one that you can't fly over people or some such?

Eurodriver
09-21-16, 10:12
Oh ****, now I've gotta get one.

Hmac
09-21-16, 11:31
I haven't subscribed to anything, although you do have the option to do so. Apparently that lets you upload the flight data from each flight to Litchi and they will analyze it for you. It also lets you upload all your videos so they're retrievable from any device. I haven't looked into it closely to see if it's all worth the subscription. The $22 for the app does include a 1 month trial. https://healthydrones.com/main?a=upgrade . I just upload any videos to my Dropbox account.

When you're programming a Litchi mission, you have the option of taking complete control of the gimbal or having it focus on any particular point of interest that you've set and you can likewise make the drone point to wherever you want it - either at the closest point of interest or in whatever direction you want at any given waypoint. During the flight, you can override if you want, gimbal or where the drone is pointing, even if it's been preprogrammed as part of the mission and when you let go of the sticks it just returns to the mission settings. You can also pause the mission if you want to do something else. Last night while the drone was on a mission across the lake, I spotted some people cruising around on a pontoon boat. I paused the mission and set them up to be orbited and tracked, and dropped the altitude down to about 50 feet. I had the option at any point of resuming the mission or having it just come on back home. I just hit the "resume" button instead of the RTH button. One thing that's amazing to me is the clarity and lack of lag from the HD digital video downlink. It actually makes flying FPV from an iPhone do-able, whereas with the Phantom 2 it was not. I tried the thing initially using my trusty old 1st gen iPad Mini, but it just doesn't have the processor power to display the video. Apparently the iPad Mini 2 works fine. I've been using my iPad Pro. I bought a little extender to make it fit the built-in holder. It's a little bulky but the video display is stunning.

I'm not sure about programming in the case of vertical terrain change, like a mountainside. You can set relative elevation (relative to starting altitude) for each way point, so maybe that's how you do it. Forward obstacle avoidance is active (Phantom 4 only has forward obstacle avoidance sensors) so if a given mission took the thing toward some trees, it would stop and find a way around them as long as it wasn't flying sideways or backwards.

The FAA regs appear to be not that big a deal. You can register all your drones (one number) for $5 on the FAA website (don't fall for the other drone registration sights, just go right to the FAA website https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ . It takes about 2 minutes, not including the time it takes to make a Dymo label with the number. As to the regs the intrusive ones appear to be flying over people, staying within visual line of sight, and the 400 ft altitude rule. You also can't take off in GPS mode if you're within 5 miles of an airport. My neighbor two doors down is registered as a seaplane base, so I always get an annoying warning when flying from my yard, but since it's not an actual airport it can still fly. I'm not sure if the P4 is prevented in firmware from flying higher than 400 feet...I've never had the occasion. Almost everything I fly is no higher than 100 feet, which gets me over the tallest trees around here. Any given Litchi mission clearly has the potential to be way beyond visual line-of-sight. I mean some guys are setting them up for 3-5 miles. You apparently do lose connection to the drone, but that's not that big a deal since the mission has been uploaded to the drone itself and isn't absolutely dependent on the RC controller for anything. As near as I can tell, people just kind of don't talk about that particular aspect of "non-adherence" to the FAA rules.

Hmac
09-21-16, 12:29
This is the video from the mission posted above. It's nothing particularly spectacular, just a kind of familiarization flight without much attention to artistic detail, but I can see the potential for some cool artistic effects. The compression from a 1.8 gig .MOV in 4K to a 106 meg .M4V certainly does rob some of the stunning detail that the 4K camera is capable of, particularly on my 5K 27-inch Retina Display. At no point on this flight did I even touch the control sticks.

https://youtu.be/M53iVkzeFY0

tb-av
09-21-16, 20:19
Wow! I can't believe how fast these things are advancing.

zombiescometh
09-22-16, 22:55
Just saw the go pro karma videos and having a gimbal that works with gopro accessories might just tempt me enough to finally get a drone.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Hmac
09-23-16, 04:59
Just saw the go pro karma videos and having a gimbal that works with gopro accessories might just tempt me enough to finally get a drone.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
The Karma has some clever ideas, but with its limited range, its lack of position sensors, no obstacle-avoidance capability, no follow-me function, very limited autonomous flight capability, no system redundancy, no software infrastructure, and short battery life, I'd probably be more inclined to spend the $1000+ on the Phantom 4, or at least wait until the 29th and see what the Mavic looks like.

I mean...it's a backpackable drone. A sport drone for action video true to GoPro's heritage. And no follow-me? You want to video surfers/bikers/skiers and you have to hand-fly it? How would you video yourelf biking down the road? DJI has a huge lead in the drone market and has a very mature infrastructure, not to mention their aggressive product development. As GoPro's initial offering in the drone market, I don't see how Karma would ever get them on top. Everybody's rooting for GoPro, but I don't think this drone will get them there. They needed to leapfrog DJI but came up way short. They're too far behind.

Outlander Systems
09-23-16, 08:23
Hmac: I had no idea that Litchi would let you pre-stage the gimbal, and allow it to focus on an object pre-flight. Also, great video.

@zombiescometh: I would definitely wait until the Mavic is unveiled in a couple of days. I was pumped about the Karma, but when I found out that it's essentially blown out of the water by everything else in terms of capabilities I went full-meh.

The lack of follow-me functionality is unacceptable for an "action camera."

Hmac
09-23-16, 09:15
Hmac: I had no idea that Litchi would let you pre-stage the gimbal, and allow it to focus on an object pre-flight. Also, great video.

@zombiescometh: I would definitely wait until the Mavic is unveiled in a couple of days. I was pumped about the Karma, but when I found out that it's essentially blown out of the water by everything else in terms of capabilities I went full-meh.

The lack of follow-me functionality is unacceptable for an "action camera."

I have been flying R/C airplanes for more than 30 years (yes, I am a full-on nerd) but for the life of me I could never fly that Phantom 2 drone well enough to follow my dog running across the field and keep him in camera frame. I would have to keep the drone with the right forward speed, have it yawed to point at the dog, and keep the gimbal pointed down all at the same time. With the Phantom 4 and its active-tracking, all that stuff is done - all you have to do is on-screen touch the subject you want it to follow. The software will always keep the gimbal pointed up/down at the right angle to keep the moving subject in frame, it will keep the yaw position of the drone turned exactly right, and it will keep the speed correct. You can still control it up and down as well as forward speed...if you pass the subject the drone will automatically yaw and adjust gimbal angle to stay on the subject. The sophistication of the concept blows me away.

For mission flights with Litchi, you not only select the waypoints, you can also select various points of interest. You can set it to require user control of the gimbal, or you can set it to always point the drone and the gimbal at the nearest point of interest. Or you can tell it which point of interest you want it to point to at any give point in the flight, or you can set that stuff manually. You can also take control of all that stuff during a flight and it will stay where you set it until it hits the next waypoint.

http://ssequine.net/field2s.jpg

zombiescometh
09-23-16, 10:14
Like i said tempted. The mavic definitely looks interesting. And yes the dji has the head start and software advantage. Depending on the cost of the mavic and accessories. since i already have a gopro4 the price is the same as the phantom3 advanced so ill use that as my likes comparison till the mavic comes out.

GoPro Karma $799_________________________ phantom3 advanced $799
karma grip and stabilizer____________________ osmo mobile $299
dont need a smartphone or tablet
comes with backpack _____________________ phantom backpack $199
20 min battery $99________ _______________ 23 min battery $159
camera be used by itself or with gimbal
Karma with accessories $999_______________ Phantom with equal accessories as karma $1459

so having a gopro for the karma or smartphone/tablet for phantom basically equal out.
a couple of thoughts from watching youtubers i have seen a lot of batterys die especially with smartphones so if that happens no drone footage with the phantom. and if i could only carry 1 drone and 1 smartphone i like the the fact that with the karma i have way more options and i can buy 3 karma batterys for less than buying 2 phantom batterys. but will have to see what dji has instore with the mavic.

Hmac
09-23-16, 12:11
It's true, the Karma would be cheaper, but it would really depend on what you are willing to pay for and what compromises you're willing to accept. The inability to fly waypoints, the lack of obstacle avoidance, and the lack of any follow-me function is a definite deal-breaker for me, not to mention that the extra $500 for the Phantom 4 gets you dual redundant IMUs and compasses (major source of flyways). I don't really need or want a gimbal-stick and don't want to have to pay for it, nor do I care about an actual backpack. The carrying case that comes with the Phantom meets my needs, but if I really needed a backpack, I guess I'd get pay the $130 for an actual Phantom-specific backpack rather than being forced to pay for the Karma's backpack, which looks more like a box with some straps. The 20 minute battery on the Karma is also kind of a downer (compared to 28 minutes on the Phantom 4), but is relatively reasonable I guess since the Karma only has a range of 1000 meters compared to the Phantom 4 range of over 6000 meters (.6 miles vs 3.1 miles published).

As to drone footage...the video and still images on a Phantom are recorded to an SD card on the copter, not on the iPhone/iPad. If the iPhone battery goes t.u., you can just push the RTH button on the controller and then go have a cup of coffee while the drone works its way back home.

http://ssequine.net/phantombackpackcomps.jpg

I'm a big GoPro fan and would love to see that US company climb out of the pit they're in. I really wanted their new drone to be more than it actually is. I'd be astonished if it is able to save the company.

zombiescometh
09-23-16, 13:59
Some good points. The phone dying I typed too fast I wanted to say no live drone footage.

As to your suggestion for the Phantom 4 I think I'll pass.
When I see $1200 for one drone I think of better ideas such as getting two phantom 3s with extra batteries or I would get a Autel xstar premium plus batteries and accessories for that same price. Only real difference is I can actually remove/change the gimbal and camera and it gets 3 min less run time but hey once again the battery is cheaper to buy.

I can definitely see gopro having good, better, best versions of karma just like they have for their cameras but as you said it will be tough for gopro with phones getting tougher every day and trying to catch up with known drone companies. Which in a way was kinda smart of them at least it was something different.

But the truly great thing is that there's enough drones out there for people to find which one fits best for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Hmac
09-23-16, 14:42
to say no live drone footage.

As to your suggestion for the Phantom 4 I think I'll pass.
When I see $1200 for one drone I think of better ideas such as getting two phantom 3s with extra batteries or I would get a Autel xstar premium plus batteries and accessories for that same price. Only real difference is I can actually remove/change the gimbal and camera and it gets 3 min less run time but hey once again the battery is cheaper to buy.

I can definitely see gopro having good, better, best versions of karma just like they have for their cameras but as you said it will be tough for gopro with phones getting tougher every day and trying to catch up with known drone companies. Which in a way was kinda smart of them at least it was something different.

But the truly great thing is that there's enough drones out there for people to find which one fits best for them

Many people on the various drone forums would agree with you that the Phantom 4 doesn't have that enough of an advantage over the Phantom 3 Professional to justify the extra $300. In fact, the general opinion seems to be that the P3P has better transmitter range than the P4.

For some people, the cost of these things would be a big issue, and I'm sure that price point was on GoPro's mind when they sacrificed as many of the state of the art drone features that they did. My guess would be that their initial drone offering is aimed at photographers, not drone hobbyists, and they're antipipating that GoPro owners will shell out the extra $799 for a flying GoPro camera accessory. The thing is, it's a hobby, and one that R/C and drone enthusiasts are used to spending a lot of money on. Relative to what I'm used to spending on hobbies, I'm not particularly inclined to shop brands just for price point. My suspicion is that GoPro will find that they missed the mark. I'm afraid that GoPro will find that their drone won't be enough to regain their place in the competitive action camera world. I don't think sales will be great enough, and I don't think it will drive sales of GoPro cameras to the extent that they think it will.

Certainly there are other brands of drone that can be had cheaper, just as you can get a Bushmaster cheaper than a KAC, but the huge accessory and aftermarket infrastructure for the DJI drones certainly provides a compelling advantage IMHO. I don't know what the Phantom 5 will look like by comparison, but the difference between the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 4 is truly profound. Seems to me like DJI is the horse to ride in the drone world.

zombiescometh
09-23-16, 14:58
Many people on the various drone forums would agree with you that the Phantom 4 doesn't have that enough of an advantage over the Phantom 3 Professional to justify the extra $300. In fact, the general opinion seems to be that the P3P has better transmitter range than the P4.

For some people, the cost of these things would be a big issue, and I'm sure that price point was on GoPro's mind when they sacrificed as many of the state of the art drone features that they did. My guess would be that their initial drone offering is aimed at photographers, not drone hobbyists, and they're antipipating that GoPro owners will shell out the extra $799 for a flying GoPro camera accessory. The thing is, it's a hobby, and one that R/C and drone enthusiasts are used to spending a lot of money on. Relative to what I'm used to spending on hobbies, I'm not particularly inclined to shop brands just for price point. My suspicion is that GoPro will find that they missed the mark. I'm afraid that GoPro will find that their drone won't be enough to regain their place in the competitive action camera world. I don't think sales will be great enough, and I don't think it will drive sales of GoPro cameras to the extent that they think it will.

Certainly there are other brands of drone that can be had cheaper, just as you can get a Bushmaster cheaper than a KAC, but the huge accessory and aftermarket infrastructure for the DJI drones certainly provides a compelling advantage IMHO. I don't know what the Phantom 5 will look like by comparison, but the difference between the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 4 is truly profound. Seems to me like DJI is the horse to ride in the drone world.
For sure especially since they have partnered up with apple hard to beat that combination of future prospects.

I was really excited for the 3dr solo but a 15min run time is just down right disappointing.
Most likely I will be purchasing a dji 3 series

Hmac
09-23-16, 15:07
As a long-time R/C airplane hobbyist, I am very intrigued by the Parrot Disco drone as an entry into FPV airplane flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Fpq4inefg

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-16, 02:32
DARPA's 'Aerial Dragnet' Will Monitor Drones in Cities

In recent years, small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), such as commercial quadcopters and hobby drones, have become less expensive and easier to fly — adding traffic to airspace that's already congested. Drones are also more adaptable for terrorist or military purposes, and because they are currently flying unmonitored, U.S. forces want to be able to quickly detect and identify UAVs, especially in urban areas.

Aerial Dragnet will initially focus on protecting military troops who are operating in urban settings overseas. However, DARPA said that the system could be applied stateside to help protect civilians in U.S. metropolitan areas from drone terrorist threats.

DARPA therefore envisions "a network of surveillance nodes" for Aerial Dragnet that uses sensor technologies that can look over and between buildings, tracking drones and UAVs even when the robotic flyers disappear from sight. This network could be mounted on long-endurance UAVs, resulting in a super drone network to monitor other drones

http://www.livescience.com/56177-darpa-aerial-dragnet-drone-monitoring.html

Outlander Systems
09-24-16, 07:15
You're killing me, dude.

I'm still getting the hang of quadcopter flight. Going with a glider is above my pay grade for the time being; however, that is badass!!!!

As a long-time R/C airplane hobbyist, I am very intrigued by the Parrot Disco drone as an entry into FPV airplane flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Fpq4inefg

Hmac
09-25-16, 17:33
Litchi gets you a low level subscription to healthydrones.com. Every flight under Litchi is logged to them and when you log on, you get more data about the flight and the drone's performance than you could ever use, IMU temps, battery performance etc, as well as everything about the flight down to the foot, including a map, and signal performance on the entire route. It's really pretty amazing. The basic stuff is free, reporting everything to you costs $6/mo. I don't know if it's worth it, but it's fascinating that they can track that and store it for you. The freebie level also gets you access to the Mission Hub, where you can design all your missions on you main computer. When you save them, they are automatically uploaded to your mobile devices.

The other thing I've been playing around with is VR. Litchi has a VR mode. You slip your iPhone into a pair of diopter-corrected split screen goggles and you get a pretty amazing FPV. The goggles themselves that hold the iPhone I got for $14 from Amazon. You can enable VR mode with the press of a button on the controller. When you do that, it even controls the gimbal. Look down with the goggles and the camera angles down etc

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61GVaUL7sdL._SL1003_.jpg

tb-av
09-25-16, 17:50
So do they use your data? Or have rights to it?

You know the drone slayer case? How might that have been different. If the pilot was in the right, he could have shown his flight even though he lost the SD card. OR.... could the courts have acquired the data? Even without the video, the flight could be recreated to see where a camera was aimed, height, zoom, etc..

You mentioned or someone did, unless I read it somewhere else, that DJI is heavily tied to Apple. What about Samsung... is their stuff as full featured on Samsung as well?

On that new Mavic, all else being equal... is the folding nature just for carry. IOW, it has no function in flight? Just a smaller package to get to field?

Outlander Systems
09-25-16, 18:00
Mind...BLOWN!

Bro, tell me there's FPV adapter goggles for the 6 Plus!?!???

Hmac
09-25-16, 18:52
Mind...BLOWN!

Bro, tell me there's FPV adapter goggles for the 6 Plus!?!???

Yes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FFVCNXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are several different vendors making the VR BOX. IIUC, they're all basically the same design.

Outlander Systems
09-25-16, 19:01
You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

Hmac
09-25-16, 19:06
So do they use your data? Or have rights to it?

You know the drone slayer case? How might that have been different. If the pilot was in the right, he could have shown his flight even though he lost the SD card. OR.... could the courts have acquired the data? Even without the video, the flight could be recreated to see where a camera was aimed, height, zoom, etc..

You mentioned or someone did, unless I read it somewhere else, that DJI is heavily tied to Apple. What about Samsung... is their stuff as full featured on Samsung as well?

On that new Mavic, all else being equal... is the folding nature just for carry. IOW, it has no function in flight? Just a smaller package to get to field?

Yeah, drone slayer...there would be a flight log with a map either uploaded to the website, or if not, it would still reside on the phone. Cuts both ways, I suppose. Surely the flight data could be subject to subpoena.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, they can use the data that you send them. You can choose whether or not it's private and can be shared with others on the website. That's all assuming that you choose to send them anything. You have the option in the app as to whether or not any flight info gets uploaded. I do upload the data because I'm nerdy like that. I may opt not to later if I find that it's not useful. I do log into Mission Hub, mainly so that I can design a mission on my 27 inch retina display at my leisure.. Your flight parameters can be copied and other people can use them for their own missions. It's kind of cool because some of those guys create some really elaborate and cool flights with lots of programmed actions and it's nice to not necessarily have to start something like that from scratch. When I finish and upload a mission, I go fly it, see what the video looks like, then tweak it to get around the weak spots. Nerd heaven.

I don't know what the relationship is between Apple and DJI. They call it a "strategic partnership". For example, at the release of the Phantom 4, it was exclusive at the Apple Store for awhile afterward and they do sell them at the Apple Store, although they also sell Parrot and GoPro stuff. I gather that actual device support is pretty much the same between Android and iOS operating systems. Folding arms...just for portability.

Outlander Systems
09-27-16, 12:19
Let there be Mavic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1d_ptE6yrc

zombiescometh
09-27-16, 13:09
Let there be Mavic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1d_ptE6yrc
Hello karma killer

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

tb-av
09-27-16, 13:12
Wow, that thing looks looks fantastic!

So will it also work with that flight planning software? Damn, I think I'm going to wish I hadn't seen this.
ETA: Looks like not at this time - I imagine they will jump on that though.

tb-av
09-27-16, 13:17
It's kind of cool because some of those guys create some really elaborate and cool flights with lots of programmed actions and it's nice to not necessarily have to start something like that from scratch.

Yeah, the video I watched the guy flew a mission around a lake and one corner he said something about how it rounded that corner. Like he needed to tweak the mission. So I guess it's nice not to have to start all over and also get others to help you out with things. I imagine after you get a basic mission you could add a lot of camera moves around a route.

Hmac
09-27-16, 13:20
I saw that this morning. That's amazing. I assumed the Mavic would exceed the Karma, but I didn't expect it would grind it into the dust. Definitely the last nail in GoPro's coffin.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13058722/dji-mavic-pro-drone-foldable-4k-gesture-control

https://youtu.be/9_xf0HVvqyY?t=13

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7171647/Mavic_Pro_2.0.jpg

zombiescometh
09-27-16, 13:47
Especially since you can get the mavic pro without RC controller for $749. Basically you get a drone ready to fly for $50 less than the karma with no camera.

tb-av
09-27-16, 14:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9Uo_szlqU

Can anyone tell if when you hook a phone to it, does it connect wirelessly or by a cable?

zombiescometh
09-27-16, 14:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9Uo_szlqU

Can anyone tell if when you hook a phone to it, does it connect wirelessly or by a cable?
Cable for phone to the rc controller. Or phone wifi direct to drone

tb-av
09-27-16, 18:57

Thanks.

I'm trying to find the owners manual if anyone stumbles across one. Can't find it on their site yet.

Outlander Systems
09-27-16, 19:02
I need a Mavic in my life. I've had my P3 for less than two months, and the portability of the Mavic would be worth its weight in gold.

Hmac
09-27-16, 21:36

The Mavic uses DJI's Ocusync for its video...so its FPV image from the camera is managed by direct 2.4 ghz downlink to the controller, then by either USB cable to the iPhone/Android. The drone also can use wifi, but I can't tell how it's used. 1080p, they say, out to 4.1 miles. That's compared to the Karma's video which is wifi. That differentiation can't be overestimated. The video quality, latency, frame rates, and range via wifi really suck by comparison to full HD 2.4 ghz downlink. I have wifi video on my Phantom 2. It requires a wifi range booster, but the video is not really that useful, and not really great for actual FPV flight.

I look at the Mavic specs and I am just totally blown away by what they've put in that package at that price. It's really a jaw dropper. As far as I've read on the two quads, the Mavic exceeds the Karma to an almost embarrassing extent, esssentially putting it into the toy category. That said, it is such a groundbreaker that I'd like to see it fly around in the wild for awhile before jumping on board. Agreed, the Mavic does use technology that DJI already has in wide use with the Phantom 4, but even so....

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-16, 01:59
With the advent of these latest drone/digital cameras I'm surprised we haven't seen some news affiliates replace their copter with a fleet of these.

Hmac
09-28-16, 04:29
With the advent of these latest drone/digital cameras I'm surprised we haven't seen some news affiliates replace their copter with a fleet of these.

Especially now that commercial certification (part 107) is so easy to get (by comparison).

Outlander Systems
09-28-16, 06:36
Hmac, have you gotten your commercial license?

A pilot buddy was up my ass about doing it.

"Get your license and the drone will pay for itself."

cbx
09-28-16, 11:34
I have been watching some of the rotor Riot videos on YouTube. I'm about ready to jump into this deal also I think. For the time being and I've pretty much given up on getting my pilot's license I have beenip on cessnas now about 10 times. But I am just the point where I just don't really think I can afford it. Maybe someday, but not today.

I think fpv drone flying drone flying will help scratch my itch for flying in a way I can actually be able to afford to do so.

cbx
09-28-16, 11:35
Any suggestions on where a guy can get his feet wet?

Outlander Systems
09-28-16, 12:23
Bro, I'm pretty sure I could teach my dog to fly a DJI Phantom.

The Phantom drones also come with a software trainer that uses the control stick to pilot the virtual aircraft in a simulator. I fiddle farted around with the simulator for several hours to get exposure to flying before wrecking an expensive drone.

tb-av
09-28-16, 12:45

A pilot only has to pass the UAS segment online. I studied for it last night and got 94% the first time through the exam. Then fixed my two wrong questions and got the certificate.... which actually does me no good because I'm not a pilot.

I was wanting to hear from someone as well that took the commercial 107 test at one of the testing centers. If I get one, I definitely want to use it for business, not to mention write it off my taxes. So I need to take that test.

Some of the questions deal with how to read aero charts and some deal with weather.. that's on the UAS exam. So I expect the 107 test is quite a bit more intensive. I need to figure out how to study for that, but one publication is 500+ pages and 1 is 700+

Do any of you know how a non-pilot needs to study for the 107 test? What's it cover? Have you ever seen a study guide like for HAM radio license? I really want to get going on this but I'm not real clear as to exactly what I'm supposed to be studying.

ETA: I'm starting a new thread on part 107 commercial License if anyone is interested. I've found a few resources.

cbx
09-28-16, 13:05
Bro, I'm pretty sure I could teach my dog to fly a DJI Phantom.

The Phantom drones also come with a software trainer that uses the control stick to pilot the virtual aircraft in a simulator. I fiddle farted around with the simulator for several hours to get exposure to flying before wrecking an expensive drone.
I don't really care about taking photography of any kind. I just want something that I can strap on a set of goggles and feel like I'm flying.

tb-av
09-28-16, 13:44
You need to get one of those little racing drones. It is actually becoming a sport to race them. Have you watched the videos on YT. they fly through all kinds of obstacles. I don;t see how they control then so fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiKEFQ4iWn4

elephant
09-28-16, 14:16
These are my first videos I took with my Phantom 3 Pro. Nothing special, just practice. Taken at abandoned hub facility in Irving Tx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSgbUKR0uI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQpLfXodYk

Outlander Systems
09-28-16, 14:46
@elephant: kickass vids broski. I need to find a spot like that.

cbx
09-28-16, 23:42
Just watch some mavic videos....holy balls that's cool.

tb-av
09-29-16, 00:07
Anybody seen the new Mountain Dew commercial. Drone Hunting. Guy on a dirt bike is chasing a drone through the trails and has to catch it in his hand.

Hmac
09-29-16, 05:07

I've had my Private Pilot's license since I was 17. All I need to do for a commercial drone certificate is take the test online and get my application signed of by a Designated Examiner or Certified Flight Instructor. I haven't done that yet, but will probably give it a shot if I have time this weekend. I don't really have a need for a commercial certificate in that I already have a time-consuming job that I like and I don't plan on starting a drone photography business, but I do occasionally help out a realtor buddy by taking aerial shots of some of the high-end lake homes that make up the bulk of his sales portfolio. I've never though about taking money for that, but he's bought me a lot of beers and I've drunk a lot of his MacAllan 18 over that last couple of years. I do it because it's kind of fun, and I'm especially interested to see how it works with the Phantom 4 and Litchi. Leave are starting to hit peak color about now up here. Makes for some nice aerial photographs of these properties but in about 3 weeks it will just be bleak after they're down.

tb-av
09-30-16, 14:15
Camera comparison Phantom 4 vs Mavic ---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKGXxHutts

Apparently people have not been focusing their Mavic camera pre-flight and getting soft OOF images.

All the stuff I have seen the Mavic seems like it tends to drift to the green side a bit and he mentioned it there as well. Water and sky tend to look greenish instead of blue. But, like he said and decent editing software will correct that easily.

tb-av
09-30-16, 23:01
Another comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01BMCexPRI

militarymoron
10-01-16, 10:04
These are my first videos I took with my Phantom 3 Pro. Nothing special, just practice. Taken at abandoned hub facility in Irving Tx.

All I could think about when I saw your vids was "man, that would be a great place to practice drifting a car..." :D

Outlander Systems
10-10-16, 17:14
Apparently DJI is releasing their own goggles for FPV:

https://www.wareable.com/wearable-tech/dji-mavic-pro-goggles-release-date-price-3290

DJI Ocusync.

cbx
10-10-16, 17:27
It's going to be so great. 90deg view....HD.... 4 miles........

I've held of on getting an fpv drone to wait for a mavic.

No price yet though as of yesterday.

tb-av
10-10-16, 17:37
Estimates are around $250

The only negative things I have head so far is that people with Androids have software problems... For the drone that is. One forum post said it was a Samsung issue.. I suppose that's what the Apple team is all about.

I want one but that's an issue as I have an S7.

This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

If I were to find a used 5s or 6 series, would I need a sim card? I don't see why that would be necessary, unless the phone won't function correctly without one.

Hmac
10-10-16, 17:55
Apparently DJI is releasing their own goggles for FPV:

https://www.wareable.com/wearable-tech/dji-mavic-pro-goggles-release-date-price-3290

DJI Ocusync.

The DJI goggles have shown up briefly on a few drone hobby sites and $699 is the price that keeps showing up. I hope that's wrong....I'd like to get a pair. Occusync is the direction that DJI is likely to go from here, plus they're also rumored to have HDMI input so they could be usable (at 720p I suppose) with DJI's current Phantom 3 and 4 R/C controllers. I wonder if there will be a Phantom 4 Pro with Occusync, or if that will be a Phantom 5.

tb-av
10-10-16, 18:11
Holy cow, I hope that price is wrong.... http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/possible-leak-for-price-of-dji-goggles.92605/

Hmac
11-08-16, 20:22
GoPro is recalling its Karma drone

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13569730/gopro-karma-drone-recall-announced

GoPro just announced a recall of its first-ever drone, the $799 Karma. Approximately 2,500 Karma units sold since October 23rd (meaning all of them) are impacted. GoPro says “in a very small number of cases, Karma units lost power during operation.” Thus far, there have been no reports of injuries or property damage because of the defect.

RIP GoPro

zombiescometh
11-08-16, 21:53
GoPro is recalling its Karma drone

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13569730/gopro-karma-drone-recall-announced

RIP GoPro
Well it will be interesting to see what happens because of this. But it has been fun watching videos of people who get a mavic and karma and realize the actual size difference.

Outlander Systems
11-15-16, 18:35
I just had a dronegasm:

https://youtu.be/XBHuftMcmis

tb-av
11-15-16, 19:22
I'm pretty sure I would make myself cry with my first unintended landing. I don't think I could handle a $5K crash. That does look really nice though.

I don't see how GoPro is going to continue in this game.

Honu
11-15-16, 19:43
the new 4 the mavic and this DJI has made some nice new drones for sure

Hmac
11-15-16, 21:02
I am just blown away by the Phantom 4 Pro and the leap that it took beyond the Mavic, which in itself was quite a leap beyond the Phantom 4. It really makes me wonder what the Phantom 5 would look like, due in March.

I really gotta hand it to DJI. With the demise of Apple's ability to innovate, at least the spirit of Steve Jobs is still out there somewhere, even if it is China.

tb-av
11-15-16, 21:57
The 4 Pro is newer than the Mavic and they are expecting a P5 in March?

I am still holding off on a Mavic.

26 Inf
11-15-16, 23:13
Not a drone guy at all, but I was driving home from the hardware store and saw this:

That has got to suck.

Hmac
11-15-16, 23:20
The 4 Pro is newer than the Mavic and they are expecting a P5 in March?

I am still holding off on a Mavic.

As the landscape is shaking out, the Mavic Pro's forte is going to be transportability at the expense of photographic capability. The Mavic's camera will be good, but the Phantom is apparently going to use its size to be about photography rather than backpackability.

Not a drone guy at all, but I was driving home from the hardware store and saw this:

That has got to suck.

No clue what a Radio Shack drone is about. I think they're mostly toys.

Outlander Systems
11-16-16, 06:08
The Mavic is the Glock 43 of drones.

Hmac
11-16-16, 07:00
The Mavic is the Glock 43 of drones.

With the release of the Phantom 4 Pro, Glock 42 is probably a more apt description of the Mavic.

Outlander Systems
11-16-16, 07:16
The Mavic is an EDC drone.

:p

Hmac
11-16-16, 11:55
The Mavic is an EDC drone.

:p
Exactly. It's not the best for the job, but it's likely to be the one you have with you.

tb-av
11-17-16, 00:18
Just found a couple of pretty cool vids. These guys really get to realistic details. Or practical details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfeUjMRJmmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIze3FYoT4

tb-av
11-17-16, 08:13
Litchi November Update.

November 2016 Updates
iOS: Litchi for DJI Mavic/Phantom/Inspire
Version 1.14.2
- the "Center Autofocus" custom function can now be used in VR mode
- fixed issue where in some cases a video decoder encryption error would incorrectly be shown
- fixed issue where the battery would sometimes fail to connect
Version 1.14.0 - 1.14.1
- added support for Mavic Pro
- added "Ocusync Preview Quality" and "Ocusync Transmission Channel" general settings (Mavic Pro only)
- added support for Landing confirmation
- added "Full HD Stream" and "Portrait Mode" camera settings (Mavic Pro only)
- added "5D button" key bindings in general settings (Mavic Pro only)
- added new custom functions for "Digital Zoom In/Out", "AE Lock/Unlock" and "Toggle Portrait Mode"
- added "Peak Focus Threshold" general camera setting
- fixed issues with optical zoom

How to connect iPAD Mini to Mavic Controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHo3i-s7N8

Ryno12
04-22-17, 11:53
Bumping this thread for any updated info.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Phantom 4 Pro. I might wait till the Phantom 5 is released as I'm not in a huge hurry but I am wondering if the P4P, as of now, is still the one to get.

I really don't know much about these things but I like features that the P4P offers. The price, not so much, but I do have some Apple & Best Buy gift cards that need spending.

tb-av
04-22-17, 12:46
It seems like they keep adding more accident avoidance tech to them.

I've seen the Mavic on TV shows now a couple of times. One of them picked up the ransom I think it was. You know how you have to take the money 'alone' to the park and put it in a waste basket. don;t bring the cops... even though the cops are already involved. The the bad guy chase when the drop goes wrong...

This one had the drop at a food cart and then the Mavic grabbed it and took off. Just goes to show with enough new tech, Hollywood can continue to milk a worn out cliche.

There is something new now named the Phantom 4 ADVANCED... I think it's a camera upgrade and -maybe- some better sensors than the 4 PRO but not sure.

I think unless you want to spend a lot of money the Phantom is probably the better "I can only have one nice drone" and it's got to be a workhorse type deal.

The Mavic is it's own deal. I think a top line Phantom could last a long time right now. It's evolved and 4K will be around a good while. So you get a solid drone, evolved tech and 4K vid. OR.. you get a first gen pocket drone. That's the conclusion I came to and still didn't buy a drone yet. I think I'm going to buy a trainer first too. That's a lot of money to watch burn in one day or fly off into the wild blue yonder.

Apparently the FAA has been over run with license applications too. Way more then they ever expected from what I heard.

tb-av
12-03-17, 19:52
Well this doesn't sound good.

Be sure to read to end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/technology/dji-china-data-drones.html

Hmac
12-03-17, 21:43
Well this doesn't sound good.

Be sure to read to end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/technology/dji-china-data-drones.htmlHeh. 21st century intelligence gathering. That would be really smart of them to do that, i suppose, but the data they might be gathering through their drones would likely be negligible by comparison to the data that Apple might be gathering for US intelligence agencies.

NYH1
12-03-17, 21:44
My wife just bought our son one for Christmas. This oughta be fun. He's a great kid....but he's 16. We're almost better off letting him walk around with his guns or drive my truck. At least that way he go's out of his way to be careful.

Him and his buddy get doing 16 yo stuff it's hard to tell what's gonna happen. Looked out my front window this summer and my son was pulling his buddy down the road on his four wheeler while he was on his skate board....at about 30 mph! Even my German Shepherd was looking at them like WTF!

This drone thing should be great fun. We live in a flight path for incoming airplanes and NG Reaper UAV Drones!

NYH1.

Hmac
12-13-17, 11:22
Here's an interesting speculative take on the subject...takes on more ominous implications when you realize that the vast majority of the hobby drones flying in the US are made in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6IGG5zRU8

pinzgauer
12-14-17, 07:26
Here's an interesting speculative take on the subject...takes on more ominous implications when you realize that the vast majority of the hobby drones flying in the US are made in China.

Interesting... And quite likely, feasible.

Gender/age targeting make take some advances. But ID'ing a face and targeting a forehead would be quite doable now. Had not thought about the shaped charge to the forehead aspect.

Seeing some of the similar videos showing military testing of micro swarms makes me think it's not idle speculation.

I'm going to have to add a tennis racket to my kit and keep practicing on the carpenter bees around my back porch.

pinzgauer
12-16-17, 09:30
You knew it was just a matter of time... Drone collision with an Army helicopter, flying 2.5 miles from operator, in an FAA restricted area to boot.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/december/14/drone-far-beyond-sight-during-black-hawk-collision.

tb-av
12-16-17, 11:53
I saw that, haven't read it all yet. There is simply no excuse for that other than I -thought- I read that the airspace was under temp restriction. But still 2.5 miles away!

NYH1
12-16-17, 17:49
Don't know if anyone saw this was signed by Trump. Federal Drone Registry (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/12/us_drone_owner_registration_rules/).

NYH1.

_Stormin_
12-16-17, 19:54
Don't know if anyone saw this was signed by Trump. Federal Drone Registry (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/12/us_drone_owner_registration_rules/).

Kinda disingenuous about what Trump actually signed. It's not as though "Federal Drone Registry" is the title of what hit his desk. It was the Defense Authorization Act.

That said, skip that step if you're a threeper through and through. Molon Labe and shit....

tb-av
01-09-18, 23:19
No drunk droning in NJ -- jail time and big fines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/new-jersey-legislators-approve-penalties-for-drunk-droning/ar-BBI8RNE?OCID=ansmsnnews11

which passed 39-0 in the State Senate and 65-0 in the State Assembly. The legislation calls for penalties of up to six months in prison or a $1,000 fine for drunk or high drone operators.

GoPro out of the drone business

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apos-why-gopro-giving-drones-153416804.html

The company on Monday announced plans to cut its workforce by 20% and exit the drone business. The move will bring GoPro’s total workforce to just under 1,000 after at least 250 layoffs are completed. GoPro also said that it will reduce founder and CEO Nick Woodman’s cash compensation to $1 in 2018.

Meanwhile DJI kicks it a notch and drops the price... on the hand held gimbal

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358326/dji-osmo-mobile-2-gimbal-offers-better-battery-life-price

The new model uses an internal battery rather than a swappable one. It does limit the lifespan of the device—we know that batteries lose power over time—but by opting for an integrated cell the battery life has improved dramatically. The original Osmo Mobile was good for just under five hours of use per charge—the Mobile 2 can go for 15 hours. It also has an integrated tripod socket at the bottom of its pistol grip, which wasn't possible due to the battery door on the original version.

The Osmo Mobile sold for $199. The new Osmo Mobile 2 is less expensive, just $129, making it a more appealing option for smartphone filmmakers. Pre-orders open up on Jan. 23, and it will start to ship in February.

tb-av
01-24-18, 17:56
https://www.dji.com/

MAVIC AIR --- looks like DJI has another nice drone in the Mavic series.

$800, 4K, 3 point gimbal, collision avoidance, 21 minutes flight...

Wake27
05-01-18, 21:40
https://www.dji.com/

MAVIC AIR --- looks like DJI has another nice drone in the Mavic series.

$800, 4K, 3 point gimbal, collision avoidance, 21 minutes flight...

Slight necro but I think I'm about to buy this. I have two buddies with the Mavic Pros and they're pretty badass.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-03-18, 23:45
Drones as weapons, here in the US, not they way you'd think.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2018/05/criminal-gang-used-drone-swarm-obstruct-fbi-raid/147956/

Last winter, on the outskirts of a large U.S. city, an FBI hostage rescue team set up an elevated observation post to assess an unfolding situation. Soon they heard the buzz of small drones — and then the tiny aircraft were all around them, swooping past in a series of “high-speed low passes at the agents in the observation post to flush them,” the head of the agency’s operational technology law unit told attendees of the AUVSI Xponential conference here. Result: “We were then blind,” said Joe Mazel, meaning the group lost situational awareness of the target. “It definitely presented some challenges.”

tb-av
08-23-18, 12:37
DJI released the new Mavic 2. Actually released two versions of the Mavic 2. Looks nice and the prices look to be in the range they have always been in.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2?site=brandsite&from=homepage

Wake27
08-23-18, 13:15
DJI released the new Mavic 2. Actually released two versions of the Mavic 2. Looks nice and the prices look to be in the range they have always been in.

Yeah saw those. Looks like some upgraded features to the drone but really they're both more about the actual cameras. I knew they were releasing something but was hoping for an upgraded Air or something along those lines.

Wake27
08-23-18, 13:16

Yeah saw those. Looks like some upgraded features to the drone but really they're both more about the actual cameras. I knew they were releasing something but was hoping for an upgraded Air or something along those lines.

_Stormin_
08-23-18, 17:40
I'll admit, not enough of a change to make me sell my Mavic Pro, but I wouldn't be upset if I ended up getting one.

TheChunkNorris
08-24-18, 05:50
When the Mavic air came out... I was freaking livid because I was a dumbass and preordered my Spark(which I successfully killed in a week). I absolutely love my Inspire 1 V2 but damn you DJI, the Mavic 2 has some great options and it’s small.