PDA

View Full Version : For a 300BLK Build: 9mm or 7.62 Suppressor?

El Cid
01-06-16, 09:27
I'm planning to build a 300BLK SBR this year. I already have the 8.5" bbl thanks to a generous Rainier Arms holiday sale. I had been researching a can for the rifle and had it narrowed down to a LaRue Tranquilo or perhaps the OSS flush mount 7.62 because I like that they vent the gas out the front of the suppressor. My 11.5" 5.56 SBR will often make my eyes water with the suppressor on it, but I have no experience with 300BLK rifles. Do they give the shooter more or less gas with the pistol length setup?

The Tranquilo is 8" long and 23oz, so it's not exactly a lightweight. The OSS cans are hard to get weights (I don't see them on the website and have emailed them asking), and show a length of 7.25".

Now the wrench in my plan... Silencerco just released the Osprey 9K which is full auto rated for use on 300BLK rifles with an 8" or longer bbl. It's 4.7" long and 8.8oz which will make for a much handier rifle. Anyone here using a 9mm can on a 300BLK rifle and like it? Hate it? Indifferent? I would imagine the much shorter 9mm can will be louder than the rifle cans, but in Fireman1291's video on Full30, the Osprey 9K was impressively quiet on the 300BLK.

Either can could be used on other hosts, so that isn't really a factor. I also am not going to lose any sleep over thread-on vs. quick mount/brake/hider. The 9K is tempting because the goal for the rifle is to have a very compact package (planning to use the MVB ARC stock), and it's half as long as the rifle cans. But I want to be sure I'm not sacrificing much in terms of performance.

Thanks!

plinkerr
01-06-16, 09:59
Personally I've never noticed any gas to the face with any of the 300BLK's that I've shot which were almost all less than 10" SBR's. I have noticed a lot of gas on almost every suppressed 5.56 that I've shot though, sometimes to the point where I could not see clearly after a couple quick shots even with eye protection. I wouldn't recommend the Osprey 9K if you want a silencer that will be quiet and not just hearing safe. I haven't heard one myself but SiCo's own numbers put it at 134dB w/ subs and 139dB with supers. I think my main recommendation for you would be to consider some of the other "in between options" for 7.62 rifle cans since right now you seem to be only considering the very longest/heaviest and the very shortest/lightest. Maybe check out a few that have been known to be solid on 300BLK like the Sig Ti-QD, Sig Ti, Surefire 300 SPS, SiCo Omega, Griffin Recce7, Rugged, Liberty, etc. etc.

n517rv
01-06-16, 10:13
I personally would not go with a 9mm suppressor on a 300BLK unless you knew for certain you would: never want to use Supers, never wanted to run it on a 308, and never wanted to run it on a 5.56... but why would you limit yourself to that?

I chose to go with a Saker 762 on my 300BLK and have no regrets. I can run it on my 300BLK, 5.56 or 6.8 guns. If I was buying one now I would take a hard look at the SiCo Omega since it's lighter and shorter than the Saker.

nova3930
01-06-16, 10:35
I bought an Omega for mine to make double sure I didn't screw anything up by shooting supers through a pistol can. Thing is stupid quiet even when shooting supers.....

El Cid
01-06-16, 10:40
I already have a 5.56 can, and have a 7.62 Omega in ATF jail I bought last year. But I plan to use it mostly on my 7.62 AR. My goal was to have a can for dedicated use on the 300BLK SBR. I hadn't considered supersonic ammo being incompatible with the 9K suppressor... that might be a show stopper right there. Do we know for sure the 9K won't run supersonic 300BLK? The website doesn't say - it just says it's compatible with both 9mm and 300BLK. Wouldn't they say if it was only good for subs?

domestique
01-06-16, 10:44
Omega 9k is rated for 300blk supersonic full auto.

ETA download their spec sheet.
https://silencerco.com/omega-9k/

ETA #2: unless you need a 9mm can, I would still stick with a dedicated 7.62 suppressor for a 300blk SBR. Buy another Omega and direct thread it (6" 12 oz suppressor).

rjacobs
01-06-16, 11:10
Ive been tempted by the 5" Thunderbeast Ultra 7 for a dedicated 300blk can.

The Rugged suppressors that you can shorten or lengthen are also interesting.

domestique
01-06-16, 12:04
Ive been tempted by the 5" Thunderbeast Ultra 7 for a dedicated 300blk can.

The Rugged suppressors that you can shorten or lengthen are also interesting.

Some first hand reports are dissapointing for the Ultra 5. As long as you go in knowing it's going to be more of a moderator and not a Hollywood quiet subsonic rig. Other then that, TBAC is good people. They recalled my 338BA can and are upgrading the internals to their top of the line 338 Ultra for free.

HCrum87hc
01-06-16, 13:40
I run an Omega on my 8.3" 300blk. I like it because I can use it on my 5.56 and just switch out the endcap for a bit more suppression. Also, you can put on a flat endcap and take off a good bit of the length. I'm not sure exactly how much, but at least 1.5 to 2" without losing too much suppression. In my opinion, the Omega is really hard to beat on a 300blk. It sounds great with subs and supers and is pretty light and short for what it does.

El Cid
01-06-16, 14:05
Thanks for the replies gents. As far as the Omega (7.62) I already have one, but it's destined for my PredatAR 762. Given the nature of suppressors (tax stamp, finite life), I'm not really inclined to buy a 2nd can of one I have already. Any of the 3 I'm considering can be used on other hosts (Tranquilo / OSS on 5.56 rifles and the Omega 9K on various pistols). Whether a rifle or pistol can, it will spend most of its time on the 300BLK SBR.

How is the gas in the face on a 300BLK SBR? If it's not an issue, then the advantage of the OSS/LaRue cans is even less because of their size/weight. Has anyone seen decibel numbers from the LaRue or OSS? Something from a user, not the manufacturer.

HCrum87hc
01-06-16, 14:35
I don't have any issues with gas to the face. There's obviously a little bit, but it's not very noticeable. It shouldn't be near as bad as your 5.56 SBR.

domestique
01-06-16, 14:53
Thanks for the replies gents. As far as the Omega (7.62) I already have one, but it's destined for my PredatAR 762. Given the nature of suppressors (tax stamp, finite life), I'm not really inclined to buy a 2nd can of one I have already. Any of the 3 I'm considering can be used on other hosts (Tranquilo / OSS on 5.56 rifles and the Omega 9K on various pistols). Whether a rifle or pistol can, it will spend most of its time on the 300BLK SBR.

How is the gas in the face on a 300BLK SBR? If it's not an issue, then the advantage of the OSS/LaRue cans is even less because of their size/weight. Has anyone seen decibel numbers from the LaRue or OSS? Something from a user, not the manufacturer.

I heard a rumor that silencer shop didn't post the review of the OSS because the numbers were atrocious. I personally wouldn't want to be a beta tester for a Larue suppressor (although they do make good stuff).

ndmiller
01-06-16, 17:11
Bought the Sig SRD762Ti as I wanted to use it on many platforms. Shot it outdoors last weekend with Sig 556R (7.62X39) along with SBR'd AR's in 300Blk & 5.56 and a 16" AR in 5.56. A pleasure to shoot across multiple platforms with little gas to face on 5.56, but none on 300BLK and Sig 556R. Go with your budget, but try to get full-auto rated 7.62 for flexibility.... it's nice to have.

eodinert
01-07-16, 03:38
The 9mm cans I tried on mine were all much louder than the 7.62SDN6 that I eventually got. I'd say get something with some volume if you want to minimize the sound level.

El Cid
01-07-16, 18:05
Well obviously reduced sound signature is important - it's a suppressor after all. But if that extra volume comes at the price of weight, OAL, and balance... I don't know. And with SPEQ pricing the 9K is the least expensive option. I need to go double check the numbers but I thought the decibel rating with the 9K and Tranquilo was very close.

Noodles
01-08-16, 00:11
Omega 9k is rated for 300blk supersonic full auto.

ETA download their spec sheet.
https://silencerco.com/omega-9k/

ETA #2: unless you need a 9mm can, I would still stick with a dedicated 7.62 suppressor for a 300blk SBR. Buy another Omega and direct thread it (6" 12 oz suppressor).

.... Just fwiw...

I've seen the Omega9K as 8.5" 300blk sub AND 300blk supersonic, but have not yet seen it written anywhere that it's 300blk super at 8". Definitely 16". Skeptical about 8" as it is a pistol can.

Deserves a call to SiCo before anyone goes and makes plans.

I'm also very skeptical the O9K would be sufficiently quiet on a 8" 300blk. As on a 16" it's already pushing 138db according to SiCo.

As to the thread... 7.62 can no doubt. 300SPS, Ultra7, Omega, SRD762, Rugged Surge or Razor, etc. for me, light weight beats suppression all day everyday.

One other note... You guys keep writing about 300blk and not being gassy - you know that was a design consideration right!? There is a ton more volume in the bore (556 barrels are heavier than 300blk) so this isn't magic can voodoo. No 300blk should be gassy with a can. Not like 556 which is more gas with less volume and a higher likelyhood to unlock early.

El Cid
01-10-16, 15:23
As to the thread... 7.62 can no doubt. 300SPS, Ultra7, Omega, SRD762, Rugged Surge or Razor, etc. for me, light weight beats suppression all day everyday.

One other note... You guys keep writing about 300blk and not being gassy - you know that was a design consideration right!? There is a ton more volume in the bore (556 barrels are heavier than 300blk) so this isn't magic can voodoo. No 300blk should be gassy with a can. Not like 556 which is more gas with less volume and a higher likelyhood to unlock early.

I didn't know that but it makes sense given the application. Now I just need to find a can that is a good balance of sound reduction and length. Would be a lot easier if the manufacturers had a standard system of measure. Some tell you the decibel level. Some tell you the decibel reduction. It's maddening since I have no idea how loud my various hosts are.

khc3
01-10-16, 18:13
.... Just fwiw...

I've seen the Omega9K as 8.5" 300blk sub AND 300blk supersonic, but have not yet seen it written anywhere that it's 300blk super at 8". Definitely 16". Skeptical about 8" as it is a pistol can.

Yeah, but it's a pistol can made from welded 17-4 stainless and stellite. The 9mm pistol cans normally restricted to subsonic 300BLK are generally threaded and loctited Al.

Noodles
01-11-16, 10:08
Yeah, but it's a pistol can made from welded 17-4 stainless and stellite. The 9mm pistol cans normally restricted to subsonic 300BLK are generally threaded and loctited Al.

You are correct. The O9K does work on 300blk sub and super at 8", but I bet it's loud, like really loud. Like a 16" 300blk is 138db at the muzzle, that's already surely over 140db at ear. Go to 8" and you know it's only getting much louder.

This seems to be a 9mm optimized can, but I can't figure out why it's heavy metal than?

It's such a weird can. It would WORK on the 300blk, but it seems less than ideal if you aren't going to shortest and lightest 300blk can regardless of suppression. It's also too large to use on pistols well IMO, so I'm still thinking of it as a strong subgun can.

Either way, it seems very much against the idea of this thread.

El Cid
01-11-16, 13:12
You are correct. The O9K does work on 300blk sub and super at 8", but I bet it's loud, like really loud. Like a 16" 300blk is 138db at the muzzle, that's already surely over 140db at ear. Go to 8" and you know it's only getting much louder.

This seems to be a 9mm optimized can, but I can't figure out why it's heavy metal than?

It's such a weird can. It would WORK on the 300blk, but it seems less than ideal if you aren't going to shortest and lightest 300blk can regardless of suppression. It's also too large to use on pistols well IMO, so I'm still thinking of it as a strong subgun can.

Either way, it seems very much against the idea of this thread.

FWIW, Kyle Defoor told us in class that the SEALs use cans more for concealing flash than any other reasons. Told a story about a team mate who forgot his can on an op and was lit up every time he fired because the Mujahideen are VERY skilled at shooting at muzzle flashes. If they don't care too much about the noise, it's much more maneuverable than a rifle length can.

As for the original topic I think I'll be going with the Silencerco Hybrid for my 300BLK project. I appreciate all the help and discussion.

el_chupo_
01-11-16, 15:05
I was going to suggest the hybrid since you don't want to duplicate a can - or the rugged razor, but keeping it in the family on muzzle devices is a good reason to lean toward the Hybrid.

Then you can figure out which works better on the .300 or the Larue, and go from there.