PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of an Omega 9K

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 11:07
Hey guys,

Just registered here to pick the brains of the more experienced people. I currently have a few SBRs and I have a Saker 7.62 (w/AAC T51 mount, long story) and have a Griffin Recce 5 that will hopefully be starting the transfer process soon.

I'm itching to get a pistol/sub-gun suppressor before 41P goes into effect... primarily to just avoid the extra hassle of the photo/fingerprint card business.

I thought I was going to get either a Silencerco Osprey or an AAC illusion in order to not lose the use of the iron sights on pistols.

However, in talking with SilencerCo they clued me into their new Omega 9K and I'm liking the idea more and more. Yes, I will lose the use of iron sights on my pistols but on the plus side I get a super light 5" can that can be used on everything from 9mm subsonic up to 300 blackout subsonic.

Can anyone give me good reasons to not go this way? One of the things I like about the 9K is that I could convert one of my 300 BLK SBRs into a more maneuverable SMG sized home defense rig with subsonic ammo.

drtywk
01-06-16, 11:34
Don't ignore the Octane series, they will perform on the same calibers as the Omega 9. Granted you will have some added length, but they are another solid pistol can that will shoot 9mm up to 300BO.

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 11:38
Don't ignore the Octane series, they will perform on the same calibers as the Omega 9. Granted you will have some added length, but they are another solid pistol can that will shoot 9mm up to 300BO.

It looked like the primary reason to choose Octane was lower cost? Or does it have some other advantage?

domestique
01-06-16, 12:09
The OMEGA 9K will handle 300blk supers. That's really the only advantage over the Octane series IMHO. It's a sealed can (so no lead or 22lr through it).

Unless OAL is the biggest concern, the Omega 9k gets pretty crappy db ratings. I personally went with the Octane 45K for a short length pistol/sub gun can. I would also wait another 2 weeks and see if SiCo releases an Octane/Osprey 9K at shot show. That would be really tempting.

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 12:35
The OMEGA 9K will handle 300blk supers. That's really the only advantage over the Octane series IMHO. It's a sealed can (so no lead or 22lr through it).

Unless OAL is the biggest concern, the Omega 9k gets pretty crappy db ratings. I personally went with the Octane 45K for a short length pistol/sub gun can. I would also wait another 2 weeks and see if SiCo releases an Octane/Osprey 9K at shot show. That would be really tempting.

Thanks for your input. OAL is a concern although would not say it's #1 concern (but it's up there). Can you elaborate on what you mean by "no lead" through the can? All of my projectiles have lead in them :)

I should definitely wait till shot show I suppose since new stuff will be coming out very soon.

punkey71
01-06-16, 12:41
Griffn Revolution 9?

Full size AND a K can.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 12:47
Looking at Silencerco videos I am seeing 135dB for 9mm with Osprey K 45 and 135.7dB for 9mm with Omega 9K.... so definitely a bit louder but not a "lot louder" unless there are major differences with other calibers.

Keep in mind that I already have a big Saker 762 that I use for maximum suppression. My goal with this next purchase is to get something that is reasonable to use with pistol calibers. Being able to use with sub-guns would just be a big plus. What I like about my SBRs is that they are small and maneuverable. Hanging my 8" saker off the end kind of defeats that to an extent. For my 12.5 5.56 SBR I am ordering the Griffin Recce and am hoping that it doesn't kill what I like about the small 5.56 carbine.

Fireman1291
01-06-16, 12:55
Don't forget about the tone. It had a very deep low tone when I tested it. That being said, it didn't seem backyard shooting quiet in 300BLK. Although 9mm was down right magical sounding. It would fit a home defense short OAL role just fine though. It will take the edge off of a 300blk SBR.

https://www.full30.com/video/629a9663a1588f883d4ae9a4b3516e42

jstalford
01-06-16, 13:00
I dunno...I'm tempted. The video of this can on the scorpion has me regretting my revolution. 300 subs/supers is a nice bonus.

ETA, yeah...that video ^^^^

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 13:04
Don't forget about the tone. It had a very deep low tone when I tested it. That being said, it didn't seem backyard shooting quiet in 300BLK. Although 9mm was down right magical sounding. It would fit a home defense short OAL role just fine though. It will take the edge off of a 300blk SBR.

https://www.full30.com/video/629a9663a1588f883d4ae9a4b3516e42

Thanks a lot for the video! Definitely a lot of compromises with this can but it is appealing as a "jack of all trades, master of none" option. Being able to use it with a bedside .45 ACP or 300BLK and get to under 140db for bump in the night use is very appealing to me.

The way I look at it, the alternative is to pony up the same money for an Osprey or similar and have a longer, heavier pistol suppressor that is more limited in what you can do with it.... but the advantage of best pistol suppression possible and of course the big advantage of the offset design leaving your iron sights useable.

Choices choices.

t15
01-06-16, 13:08
heres 1 for ya,

you have to get the serial # to put on a form 4, good luck getting that in time.

gunf1ghter
01-06-16, 13:10
heres 1 for ya,

you have to get the serial # to put on a form 4, good luck getting that in time.

I'm not sure what you mean. Silencerco is already shipping these to distributors. When I talked to them they told me they had shipped over 200 out already. Form 3 transfer takes around 30 days. Serial number and Form 4 only need to be submitted up to 1 day before 41P goes into effect to avoid having to go through the added hassle of providing fingerprints, photos, etc.

domestique
01-06-16, 13:19
Thanks for your input. OAL is a concern although would not say it's #1 concern (but it's up there). Can you elaborate on what you mean by "no lead" through the can? All of my projectiles have lead in them :)

I should definitely wait till shot show I suppose since new stuff will be coming out very soon.

I referring to cast bullets where build up would be much greater.

gunf1ghter
01-07-16, 12:09
Would a "can only" price of $625 make the Omega 9K more/less attractive to any of you?

jstalford
01-07-16, 12:55
More. Would buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunf1ghter
01-07-16, 13:46
More. Would buy.

Yeah, even if I had to buy pistons/etc for it, that price seems very good.

drtywk
01-07-16, 13:51
Thanks a lot for the video! Definitely a lot of compromises with this can but it is appealing as a "jack of all trades, master of none" option. Being able to use it with a bedside .45 ACP or 300BLK and get to under 140db for bump in the night use is very appealing to me.

The way I look at it, the alternative is to pony up the same money for an Osprey or similar and have a longer, heavier pistol suppressor that is more limited in what you can do with it.... but the advantage of best pistol suppression possible and of course the big advantage of the offset design leaving your iron sights useable.

Choices choices.

I just submitted my Form 4 for an Octane K as my jack of all trades can. I was wanting the Omega 9K, but the differences were negligible, especially after you add an adapter to the mix. It will be used on my Scorpion primarily, but will be used in other capacities. I also have an Osprey K, Omega, Saker 5.56 and Saker K.

gunf1ghter
01-07-16, 13:54
I just submitted my Form 4 for an Octane K as my jack of all trades can. I was wanting the Omega 9K, but the differences were negligible, especially after you add an adapter to the mix. It will be used on my Scorpion primarily, but will be used in other capacities. I also have an Osprey K, Omega, Saker 5.56 and Saker K.

Why do you feel the Octane 45K is a better choice? dB ratings look like they are similar but the Octane is 2" longer than the Omega 9K. The 9K looks like the more "cutting edge tech" of the two. For me, the ability to shoot cast bullets is a non-concern, all of my hand loads are with factory non-cast bullets.

drtywk
01-07-16, 14:11
I never said it was better, the Omega 9K wasn't available when I ordered the Octane. However the biggest advantage, in my opinion, with the Octane is the ability to take it apart to clean it. With the Omega, you can only run a bore brush down the center to clean out larger carbon buildups. As far as length goes, I'm not worried about the length in my application.

gunf1ghter
01-07-16, 14:18
I never said it was better, the Omega 9K wasn't available when I ordered the Octane. However the biggest advantage, in my opinion, with the Octane is the ability to take it apart to clean it. With the Omega, you can only run a bore brush down the center to clean out larger carbon buildups. As far as length goes, I'm not worried about the length in my application.

Okay, fair enough. I agree that ease of cleaning is a plus and the ability to disassemble will be an advantage in some applications.

Noodles
01-07-16, 16:37
Why do you feel the Octane 45K is a better choice? dB ratings look like they are similar but the Octane is 2" longer than the Omega 9K. The 9K looks like the more "cutting edge tech" of the two. For me, the ability to shoot cast bullets is a non-concern, all of my hand loads are with factory non-cast bullets.

Just fwiw.... When you guys are comparing length of the Omega9K, you need to specify application.

An Omega9K with a three lug adapter is 1.5"+4.7" which is about the same as an Obsidian with it's internal 3-lug.

I really want to like the Omega9K but it's a pistol strength silencer that is 1.5" which seems to large for pistols (imo). So now we're talking its a good 300blk and subgun can... Except that it's still very small volume, non-serviable, and it's not rated for 300blk super or 357mag or anything like that.

... So I think if you're looking for a really small 9mm subgun can it could have some merit. But for my money, a large volume subgun can will still win every day of the week.

I'm buying an Obsidian 45 with a 9mm endcap over the Omega9k because I already have an MK9K and I just don't really believe in the BUY ONE CAN lie everyone tells themselves ;)

jstalford
01-07-16, 16:39
^^It IS rated for 300 super.

Noodles
01-07-16, 16:40
^^It IS rated for 300 super.

Yea? SBR?

jstalford
01-07-16, 16:42
Yea? SBR?

I can't find the barrel length specs, but it says full auto 300 sub and super

Noodles
01-07-16, 16:45

I also feel like this is sort of misleading yourself.

The Octane 45k and Omega9K SEEM to have the same baffles as the Hybrid as Obsidian as the Griffin Armament stuff as the many others. A LOT of companies are using the same style click-together sweeping cone type thing. I think length is far more important than diameter, so I'm skeptical their 1.375" can has the same numbers as their 2" shorter 1.50" can.

If that were the case, I think we'd see all new cans coming out at 1.50"+.

No one has tested these on the same day, and I for one will never look at a company's website -db number and use that to compare to anything, even within the same company. Too much ****ery is possible with meters, and actual sound isn't at all represented.

Noodles
01-07-16, 16:54

You're not wrong. It says Noveske 16" - 138db on the spec sheet. But something tells me we're talking 12.5" if not the more likely 16" limit.

Unless it's 8" 300blk super, I'm not even counting it as super-rated. Just my personal feeling on it, but 300blk is sort of pointless for me unless its a shorty.

Also, 138db at the muzzle on a 16" is almost certain still over 140db at the ear. That said... the lightest other cans I could think of that handle 300blk super at all would be the thread on Omega, Thunderbeast Ultra, SIG's non-Ti762 threadon. So I guess if you're running 300blk 16" (why?) then yea, seems like a good option.

Overall I'd be much more impressed with the Omega9K if it was $650 MSRP.

jstalford
01-07-16, 16:58
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the street price is ending up so expensive. The Octane 45 has a higher MSRP, but the street price is like over $100 less, and that includes a piston as well.

Given its current MSRP, it SHOULD be $650. Unless I'm missing something

Noodles
01-07-16, 17:14
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the street price is ending up so expensive. The Octane 45 has a higher MSRP, but the street price is like over $100 less, and that includes a piston as well.
Given its current MSRP, it SHOULD be $650. Unless I'm missing something

It's not even Form3 to dealers yet I don't think. And with everything going on, I think every dealer knows that with 41P or Hillary getting the D nomination, that everything they list today will sell.

The MSRP is the issue I have with this can. I'm just not seeing $850. Fwiw, having seen dealer price on them, I think $650 is reasonably as low as you'll see for some time.

domestique
01-07-16, 17:14
The Omega 9K seems like it was designed around a military contact (sub 140db), light and short as possible.

But at 6.2" (with 3 lug adapter), the actual Omega rifle can (in direct thread mode) would be quieter and way more durable.

I would be a lot more interested if SiCo released an Octane 9K.

Noodles
01-07-16, 17:26
The Omega 9K seems like it was designed around a military contact (sub 140db), light and short as possible.

That makes a ton of sense actually! It would also explain why the MSRP is high (because military items can be renegotiated based on the civilian price).

The only thing that I'd be clueless on is what application!? Not a pistol because it would block the sights on everything including some suppressor sights.... Although that might explain why it's 1.470" and not 1.5". If it's not our mil maybe it's for a subgun. Hmmmm... Good thought. I wonder if we see the MHS with suppressor sights come out with an Omega9K attached???

drtywk
01-07-16, 18:13

8" barrel.

drtywk
01-07-16, 18:18
That makes a ton of sense actually! It would also explain why the MSRP is high (because military items can be renegotiated based on the civilian price).

The only thing that I'd be clueless on is what application!? Not a pistol because it would block the sights on everything including some suppressor sights.... Although that might explain why it's 1.470" and not 1.5". If it's not our mil maybe it's for a subgun. Hmmmm... Good thought. I wonder if we see the MHS with suppressor sights come out with an Omega9K attached???

The Octane and Osprey "K" cans were designed around the MHS, so I would imagine this would be for a sub gun requirement, but who knows.

Noodles
01-07-16, 18:30
8.5" barrel.

Omega9K 8.5" 300blk supersonic? You have a source for that?

gunf1ghter
01-07-16, 18:39

The spec sheet says supersonic full auto for both 9mm and 300BLK but does not list minimum barrel lengths.

This does definitely look like a suppressor that was primarily designed for a contract for sub-guns for military use but maybe they didn't get the contract and decided to re-purpose it for use on pistols also.

I have a quoted price of $625 for it, so it's kind of tempting.... although maybe less desirable than a straight-up pistol can. Direct threaded to a 300 BLK SBR or MP5 will probably be the niche use for it I'm thinking.

Noodles
01-07-16, 20:14
The spec sheet says supersonic full auto for both 9mm and 300BLK but does not list minimum barrel lengths.
This does definitely look like a suppressor that was primarily designed for a contract for sub-guns for military use but maybe they didn't get the contract and decided to re-purpose it for use on pistols also.
I have a quoted price of $625 for it, so it's kind of tempting.... although maybe less desirable than a straight-up pistol can. Direct threaded to a 300 BLK SBR or MP5 will probably be the niche use for it I'm thinking.

I'll bet whole dollars its not 8" 300blk super rated. No way. It's far too light and small. 16" min is my guess.

The idea that it was a mil subgun can makes sense, but I'm not sure I see a mil contract wanting modular.

I agree with you. I saw it, evaluated, and bought an Obsidian45. But I already own a dedicated subgun can. I just kept not really digging they keep showing it with a booster on a handgun, but it's a 1.5" can, I mean, it's better than oil filter, but it seems close in my mind ;)

drtywk
01-07-16, 21:39

Edited my original post to 8" barrel. Details here: https://www.full30.com/video/629a9663a1588f883d4ae9a4b3516e42.

Noodles
01-07-16, 22:44
Edited my original post to 8" barrel. Details here: https://www.full30.com/video/629a9663a1588f883d4ae9a4b3516e42.

[it is rated for 300blk sub and super 8", I was wrong. However considering SPL/db levels I'd still] put the Omega9K back into the wierd too large for a pistol, small for a subgun can category.

jstalford
01-08-16, 13:41
AND AGAIN, almost without certainty not supersonic. Which puts the Omega9K back into the wierd too large for a pistol, small for a subgun can category.

This is the reply I got from sico:

Thank you for contacting us. The Omega 9k is rated down to 8" with both super and subsonic 300blk. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Noodles
01-08-16, 13:53
This is the reply I got from sico:
Thank you for contacting us. The Omega 9k is rated down to 8" with both super and subsonic 300blk. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Yep! I take it back! It is OK'ed on 8" 300blk sub and super. I was absolutely wrong.

That said.... It's 138db on a 16". I see a little merrit to owning this can, but definitely imo still a 9mm subgun can because I don't see a likely scenario where it's hearing safe on an 300blk super under 16". I kind of even wonder how loud the 300blk sub at 8-9" would be. But it is crazy small and light!

Still a cool subgun can. The previous comments about it possibly being a military contract can make a lot of sense.

gunf1ghter
01-08-16, 14:27
Yep! I take it back! It is OK'ed on 8" 300blk sub and super. I was absolutely wrong.

That said.... It's 138db on a 16". I see a little merrit to owning this can, but definitely imo still a 9mm subgun can because I don't see a likely scenario where it's hearing safe on an 300blk super under 16". I kind of even wonder how loud the 300blk sub at 8-9" would be. But it is crazy small and light!

Still a cool subgun can. The previous comments about it possibly being a military contract can make a lot of sense.

Well, honestly nothing is really hearing safe. Even my Saker on 9" 300BLK with subsonic ammo is around 125dB and that's definitely not ears safe if you shoot off a bunch of rounds with it.

I view this can the way I would view ANY can on a 5.56. Not hearing "safe" but going to take the edge off enough in an emergency situation (home defense, etc) that you aren't going to be totally deaf for days afterwards.

So, I'm still debating this as a cool can that I would use mostly on a 300BLK to take the edge off and keep the barrel length down and occasional use on a pistol or maybe I'm just better off getting a dedicated pistol can.

jstalford
01-08-16, 14:39
For me I think it makes sense as it would pretty much live on a scorpion that I want to keep the oal down on, but I also have an 8" 300blk so I could always use it on that if I needed to, but the saker will probably live on that.

For primarily 300blk use, I think an Omega would be better along with a dedicated pistol can.

Noodles
01-08-16, 14:52
For me I think it makes sense as it would pretty much live on a scorpion that I want to keep the oal down on, but I also have an 8" 300blk so I could always use it on that if I needed to, but the saker will probably live on that.

For primarily 300blk use, I think an Omega would be better along with a dedicated pistol can.

On the scorpion, if you're talking 3-lug then it's 6" and only a little lighter than something like an Obsidian45. Now, for me, I wanted a 1.37" pistol can so I can put it inside the carbine rail on the CZ. The 1.5" wouldn't work for that. But, thread on with the pistol/smg forearm, seems legit really. I just can't swing it because having two dedicated subgun cans makes no sense :D It should be decent on the CZ but it won't be Mk9k quiet/tone.

Agreed on Omega + pistol can for 300blk and handgun.

Again though.... This all gets back to the price. For a dedicated subgun can, non-servicable, no outer tube, no end caps, I would have figured $475-525 street, not where it's priced now.

jstalford
01-08-16, 15:18
I would just be running the direct thread but yeah, they're definitely spendy. But the nfa review video with it on the scorpion was pretty promising. 130/131 is fine. Either way, I'll be waiting for more reviews.

gunf1ghter
01-08-16, 15:20
Okay, so let's say I ditch idea of a 9K, osprey vs octane? Anything else to look at? Griffin's 9mm suppressor also looks interesting but as I don't see I would want a can for every caliber pistol I have the multi-cal capable designs from Silencerco seem like the money shot to me. :)

jstalford
01-08-16, 15:24
I would probably get the Octane or the Obsidian. Griffin seems nice too, but given hearing multiple accounts of their lack of professionalism recently, I would probably skip it (says the person with a rev45 in jail).

gunf1ghter
01-08-16, 15:26
I would probably get the Octane or the Obsidian. Griffin seems nice too, but given hearing multiple accounts of their lack of professionalism recently, I would probably skip it (says the person with a rev45 in jail).

I have a Recce 5 that looks like it will be headed to jail soon as the Form 3 was finally sent off from the dealer this week. I viewed the Recce as "too good to pass up" as it performs so comparably to the Surefire cans but is soooo much cheaper.

Of course if Griffin goes belly up it's going to be a paperweight if anything ever goes wrong with it.

I think I just talked myself out of another Griffin can. Doh.

Noodles
01-08-16, 15:29
I would just be running the direct thread but yeah, they're definitely spendy. But the nfa review video with it on the scorpion was pretty promising. 130/131 is fine. Either way, I'll be waiting for more reviews.

130-131 is fine. It's good even. It's just not the mid 120s that a bigger can could do. If I had the money, I'd buy one an O9K thread-on dedicate it to an Evo or MP5. But... I don't.

Okay, so let's say I ditch idea of a 9K, osprey vs octane? Anything else to look at? Griffin's 9mm suppressor also looks interesting but as I don't see I would want a can for every caliber pistol I have the multi-cal capable designs from Silencerco seem like the money shot to me. :)

FWIW, this thread is call Talk Me Out Of ;)

Um... depends what you really want to do. The Omega9K looks like a subgun can that can double duty on a 300blk. That's cool, but it's just not as quiet as anything dedicated to it's purpose. So is small and light more important than quiet to you? For a rifle can it is to me, for a subgun can I'm personally a little more flexible.

If you're looking at multicaliber pistol, the Obsidian45 is hard to beat imo (Probably the new Ghost too). 357mag and 10mm rated. Modular segments. Internal 3-Lug. Size appropriate end caps (45cal or 9mm). But it definitely isn't as small as the Omega9k. I wouldn't purchase an Octane anything right now.

I'm coming around to the idea of the Omega9K, but man, the price is a killer for it is.

gunf1ghter
01-08-16, 15:34
See though, "talk me out of" worked!!!

Ha ha!!

Well, I can get the 9K for $625. I think that the size is a real novelty and I like the idea, but I'm probably better off spending a bit more and getting a full Omega and just going threaded on a 300BLK if I want something smaller than my Saker. I don't own a Scorpia or MP5 in addition to my 300BLK SBRs so it is less appealing to me than someone with a bigger sub-gun arsenal or a sub-gun that's dying for a short can.

I will look into the Obsidian 45, thanks for the recommendation. Will also look into the ghost, don't know anything about it and had not thought about it either.

gunf1ghter
01-08-16, 15:39
Okay I know zero about Rugged Suppressors so looks like I have to research that. Obsidian 45 might be a little bit too proprietary for my taste. I don't like that it ships with an unusual piston but the modularity and other features look pretty sweet.

Noodles
01-08-16, 22:01
Okay I know zero about Rugged Suppressors so looks like I have to research that. Obsidian 45 might be a little bit too proprietary for my taste. I don't like that it ships with an unusual piston but the modularity and other features look pretty sweet.

Slow down.

1. Rugged Suppressors is a guy named Henry who along with another guy or two started SWR way back. He got purchased with silencerco, rumor is the Octane was his design, then when Silencerco spit out Henry he formed Rugged Suppressors (Mike Pappas formed Dead Air, why the two of them didn't just work together I have no idea, since they're putting out extremely similar products anyhow)

2. The Obsidian45 is probably the LEAST proprietary pistol can you could get right now. It'll take their own, SiCo, and other pistons, boosters, direct thread, and 3lug attachments. This is a huge feature.

3. .578x24 is not some obscure threw pitch in NFA world. It's the most common 45acp thread pitch. So that a 45acp can comes with 45 piston isn't unheard of. I already have a .578 so I'll be trading that in for a 9mm and purchasing a 9mm end cap.

scottryan
01-08-16, 23:00
Just fwiw.... When you guys are comparing length of the Omega9K, you need to specify application.

An Omega9K with a three lug adapter is 1.5"+4.7" which is about the same as an Obsidian with it's internal 3-lug.

I really want to like the Omega9K but it's a pistol strength silencer that is 1.5" which seems to large for pistols (imo). So now we're talking its a good 300blk and subgun can... Except that it's still very small volume, non-serviable, and it's not rated for 300blk super or 357mag or anything like that.

... So I think if you're looking for a really small 9mm subgun can it could have some merit. But for my money, a large volume subgun can will still win every day of the week.

I'm buying an Obsidian 45 with a 9mm endcap over the Omega9k because I already have an MK9K and I just don't really believe in the BUY ONE CAN lie everyone tells themselves ;)

This. The whole modular silencer thing the industry keeps pushing is a big lie.

I don't want a K size silencer that has an added baffle section that can be added or removed to switch between full size and K size. The Obsidian would be a great can if it was full size to begin with.

I just want a full size silencer with no extra do-dad bullshit.

Also nobody can seem to make something competitive to a Gemtech MK9K. I want more large volumous 9mm fat SMG cans. I would like to see an adapter made that can go over a birdcage flash hider on a 9mm Colt SMG.

jimmyheadgear
01-09-16, 07:07
I have a quoted price of $625 for it, so it's kind of tempting....

Is that a real world price, or a special for you?

gunf1ghter
01-09-16, 09:53
Is that a real world price, or a special for you?

Repeat buyer price.

gunf1ghter
01-09-16, 09:58
Slow down.

1. Rugged Suppressors is a guy named Henry who along with another guy or two started SWR way back. He got purchased with silencerco, rumor is the Octane was his design, then when Silencerco spit out Henry he formed Rugged Suppressors (Mike Pappas formed Dead Air, why the two of them didn't just work together I have no idea, since they're putting out extremely similar products anyhow)

2. The Obsidian45 is probably the LEAST proprietary pistol can you could get right now. It'll take their own, SiCo, and other pistons, boosters, direct thread, and 3lug attachments. This is a huge feature.

3. .578x24 is not some obscure threw pitch in NFA world. It's the most common 45acp thread pitch. So that a 45acp can comes with 45 piston isn't unheard of. I already have a .578 so I'll be trading that in for a 9mm and purchasing a 9mm end cap.

Thanks for all of the helpful information. To me, part of what makes a higher end suppressor worth the high price tag is the company standing behind it. Surefire and SiCo are very well established and are more than likely going to be around in 10-20 years if something goes wrong with one of their products.

Dead Air and Rugged, regardless of designer pedigrees are newer less established companies without the track record (like Griffin).

As a result I my eyebrows go up a bit at the prices they are charging.

Obsidian 45 does look quite impressive though and might be my next purchase if I can get over the sticker shock.

lunchbox
02-02-16, 19:35
Well I talked myself into a Omega9k with an advancement on my Second Amendment Stimulus Package. The price was right ($720ish) and was in market for short 9mm can. Have Octane 45hd that sounds great, but is long as hell on EVO3. Not to mention mount interchangeability with Octane... Wife still gonna be pissed I spent some of the $$ savings, hopefully tax return gets here before she notices.;)

gunf1ghter
02-02-16, 19:47
Well I talked myself into a Omega9k with an advancement on my Second Amendment Stimulus Package. The price was right ($720ish) and was in market for short 9mm can. Have Octane 45hd that sounds great, but is long as hell on EVO3. Not to mention mount interchangeability with Octane... Wife still gonna be pissed I spent some of the $$ savings, hopefully tax return gets here before she notices.;)

Love to see you update this thread with your impressions. Ironically now that I'm getting the Obsidian 45K I might be in the market for the full sized Omega as a 2nd 300BLK/308 suppressor.

lunchbox
02-02-16, 19:53
Love to see you update this thread with your impressions. Ironically now that I'm getting the Obsidian 45K I might be in the market for the full sized Omega as a 2nd 300BLK/308 suppressor.Omega is a good suppressor, I have one as well:)... I got bit hard by the suppressor bug!

redfernsoljah
09-06-17, 13:03
A bit late to this thread but wanted to answer something about it being too big for the carbine rail on a Scorpion. It fits without issues and with a direct thread it puts this can right around 5" just long enough to get to the end with a strap wrench to tighten it down. It is a perfect host in this manner. Definitely made for a sub gun. What I would like to have seen is more modular cans down to this length with similar performance. I did get the idea for this from Military Arms Channel. I was looking to get a scorpion but in the smaller rail pistol to sbr later. Yet ended up getting the carbine length because of his video and use of this can. Perfect for a truck gun, next to night stand. Yet has me rethinking of doing a side project llc Zhukov adapter for a SBRd gun and going with the tail hook and being able to travel with it without the downfalls of traveling with an SBRd gun. As I do mostly avoid non gun friendly states anyways and the can wouldnt be an issue if. Iwas traveling through those with laws against them as they would have issues with the gun as is anyways. Overall most states it would be a non issue. Especially out back for fun on my steel off of my porch. So I dont disturb my renters in there cabins on my land.

Alaskapopo
09-23-17, 03:09
Yes down to 8.5 inches

MegademiC
09-23-17, 09:23
This. The whole modular silencer thing the industry keeps pushing is a big lie.

I don't want a K size silencer that has an added baffle section that can be added or removed to switch between full size and K size. The Obsidian would be a great can if it was full size to begin with.

I just want a full size silencer with no extra do-dad bullshit.

Also nobody can seem to make something competitive to a Gemtech MK9K. I want more large volumous 9mm fat SMG cans. I would like to see an adapter made that can go over a birdcage flash hider on a 9mm Colt SMG.

I know it's not quite what you want, but there is this:
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/3-Lug-9mm-Flash-Hider-German-5p82.htm

Alaskapopo
09-24-17, 03:25
Just got mine and love it. Also got a Omega 30 and a Sparrow. An SBR stamp for a 5.56 build just waiting on my 9mm SBR build and then will try the Omega 9 on that. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/IMG_2750_zpsydmbo6km.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/355sigfan/media/Semi%20auto%20pistols/IMG_2750_zpsydmbo6km.jpg.html)

Alaskapopo
10-02-17, 02:01
The Omega 9K was designed to 1) have recoil characteristics consistent with using a red dot'd pistol as a primary. As used on a midsized 9mm pistol, recoil can be managed very fast compared to other suppressors. 2) OAL consistent with.. well not being too long 3) quiet enough with a tone not particularly pew-pew in signature..

While being designed and tested SiCo management thought it wasn't a great idea... certainly no commercial application. Then the ground floor people working there all wanted one as soon as they put their claws on it. I told them they were welcome to sell it commercially & it's been a big hit. It is a great can, esp wet.

Dumb question here and I love my Omega 9 by the way. But what do you mean by wet?
Pat

Hero
10-02-17, 03:56
The Omega 9K was designed to 1) have recoil characteristics consistent with using a red dot'd pistol as a primary. As used on a midsized 9mm pistol, recoil can be managed very fast compared to other suppressors.

Interesting you mention this. I shot a 9k for the first time about two weeks ago. Previously had most of my suppressed handgun range time on an Octane 9. The first thing I noticed, and it stayed with me throughout the range session, was that the pistol with the 9k (G19) seemed like it behaved like there was no can attached, or damn close to it. The Octane noticeably changes the recoil characteristics.

nimdabew
10-03-17, 07:25
Dumb question here and I love my Omega 9 by the way. But what do you mean by wet?
Pat

Probably a liquid medium inside of the can, like a capful of water or maybe oil. I don't run my cans wet, but my SPR/M4 can have a cap full of water poured into the can.

Kenneth
10-03-17, 11:49
Wire pulling gel is what a lot of people put in their cans but I do not do it.

I believe it drops the First Round Pop (FRP) significantly. Sort of like a special ops type practice. Put liquid in shoot a few bad guys and GTFO.

From what I understand after a few shots you have a mess down range and need to really the liquid.

chrischoi
10-03-17, 20:06
Radian has a package deal right now. I think it was $599 with a Raptor Charging Handle. That's less than the SPEQ Program.

Johnson184
10-08-17, 15:15
That does sound like a good deal, but I have no need for another Raptor CH. Hopefully there will be an even lower price without the CH come Black Friday.

Mike Miller
10-09-17, 11:02

I've been happy with my Bowers Vers 9s, a fat subgun can. I considered the MK9K, but Tom Bowers had a better reputation for customer service

Johnson184
10-15-17, 14:13
Any issues with having to clean the Omega 9K despite it being sealed?

I reload a lot of 147gr Hi-Tek coated and plated 9mm bullets so I'm wondering if I should look elsewhere.

Alaskapopo
10-15-17, 14:23
That is an issue and I also shoot coated but for this suppressor I will only be shooting JHP's and TMJ's to reduce the issue.

Kenneth
10-15-17, 18:56
If I had a suppressor that I couldn't clean I probably wouldn't shoot coated bullets through. Although I have seen test of rifle cans shooting coated .300 BO without issue.

I shoot tons of Hi-Tek coated through my Octane 45 and haven't noticed any coating inside it.

steyrman13
10-16-17, 06:57
That is an issue and I also shoot coated but for this suppressor I will only be shooting JHP's and TMJ's to reduce the issue.

Couldn't you just drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean it?

Alaskapopo
10-16-17, 13:38
Couldn't you just drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean it?

I just got one of those but I am not sure how well it works yet.

Alaskapopo
10-16-17, 18:08
Just put together the upper that my SBR was originally spec too.

Alaskapopo
10-21-17, 02:07
Here it is on video. I used a JP lower, Aero Upper Faxon 5.5 inch barrel, Silencerco low profile 3 lug mount and the Omega 9k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwGmEu0sKYo

Walker_Texasranger
12-06-17, 10:23
I’ve never bought a suppressor before. My local shop has an Omega 9k and I’m tempted to buy it because I like the small size of it. I normally shoot indoors at public ranges so I’d need ear pro anyway but I think it could be cool on a CZ Evo pistol or something. Maybe a 300blk pistol. I don’t know, what do you guys think? Worth it for someone like me that’ll be wearing ear pro anyway?