PDA

View Full Version : Good quality light with a wide beam in the 4-800 lumen range.

jaytee
01-06-16, 12:32
Hey newbie here and was reading some threads on optics and nighttime use and was wondering who makes a good quality light with a wide beam in the 4-800 lumen range? I've seen Surefire named A LOT but was wondering if there are others. I'm new to this AR platform and just bought my first one last week and I'm getting started on furnishing it. I've yet to add anything to it other then a cheap rear peep just to get some shots fired. Right now its just got the round factory hand guard, no rails. This is going to be HD use and will probably spend most of its life in the corner next to the bed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mrgunsngear
01-06-16, 13:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3oCwKibQY

If it's in your budget, the Elzetta Bravo is simply awesome. It's about $200-220 shipped (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=elzetta%20bravo&linkCode=ur2&tag=akarshoot-20&url=node%3D706813011&linkId=JOC3F4SW6ZYMUZIL) depending on configuration but the build quality and durability are second to none and it does have a nice balanced beam pattern.

Vandal
01-06-16, 13:31
Surefire X300U (600 lumens) or a Scout light. I have a Inforce WMLx (500 lumens) on my HD gun that I've been happy with.

You could also go with Elzetta, I don't have one but the reviews have been positive.

jaytee
01-06-16, 13:39
I've got a Klarus XT-11 thats on my nightstand and its a really nice light, but its a tad larger then I'd like on the front of the gun.

Adrenaline_6
01-07-16, 11:21
I don't think the XT-11 is that big actually. Its about the size of the old Surefires 6P's (about .7" longer but same barrel diameter). The reflector head is a little wider but the XT11 is brighter and the UI is a lot better. Great light.

If I didn't have a S200C2VN mounted on mine, the XT Klarus series would be a great option.

turnburglar
01-07-16, 17:02
streamlight TLR1-HP.

I have a surefire x300, and am not really happy with the switch compared to the streamlights.

jaytee
01-07-16, 18:39
The more I think about it the more I think I want to stay with whats familiar to me as far as UI goes AND I've had great luck with my Klarus XT11 so I think I'll go with that. Has anyone used the remote pressure switch that they offer or is it needed? Somewhere I found a complete kit with light, charger, mount and batteries for a decent price. Just not sure how good the mount is gonna be.

Ledanek
01-07-16, 20:37
The more I think about it the more I think I want to stay with whats familiar to me as far as UI goes AND I've had great luck with my Klarus XT11 so I think I'll go with that. Has anyone used the remote pressure switch that they offer or is it needed? Somewhere I found a complete kit with light, charger, mount and batteries for a decent price. Just not sure how good the mount is gonna be.

I'm a n00b too just for full disclosure. I assessed my need=HD by actually moving about in the dark with the light I had and made an honest criticism if I need more light or stay with my current light. After my last eye exam, I made finally gave in and upgraded to a much wider coverage vs more focused light. So, bottom line, your needs will differ.
For reference, the lights were SF G2X to a SF M600P.

Adrenaline_6
01-07-16, 21:55

Never used the remote pressure switch when I had mine. You could go with a solid mount like Gear Sector and use your thumb for activation.

jpgm
01-07-16, 22:00
I have been running the Streamlight TLR- HPL on my patrol rifle. Awesome light.

jpgm

Tomac
01-09-16, 08:50
I cannot recommend the Inforce WMLx. I had 3 of them (2 sand, 1 fde) crack at the same location where the bezel screws into the body w/no abuse on my part. Inforce promptly replaced them but until Inforce comes out w/stronger material (Spring of '16, they say) I don't feel I can trust them (which is sad, 'cause IMHO the WMLx is the best-designed wml on the market).
For now I'm using Surefire M600 Ultras on my rifles but the 600 Fury will get you more flood and less throw.
Tomac