PDA

View Full Version : Night Force Ultralight rings?

jimmyp
08-11-08, 19:23
I have a Noveske 16 inch Recce upper with VIS, am mounting a NF 1-4 NXS on it. The rifle has "Noveske" labled BUIS. The rear sight is .6 inches higher than the rail so the bottom of the scope eyepiece has to be at least this high. Can anyone let me know which NF ring height I should use, as they range in height .885, 1.0, 1.125, 1.265, 1.375. I am thinking the 1.265 would work, has anyone used these?

karmapolice
08-11-08, 20:49
You will probably need the extra highs. The novekse buis is the Troy, I have tried out my leupold 2.5-8X36 with high/med/ and extra high Night force Rings and they extra highs are the only ones that cleared. Are you set on rings, I would look at ADM's scout or recon scope mounts they are very solid and affordable mounts with a good mounting system plus they cantilever out for proper eye relief. I have the scout on my one ar and its great.

Here is a pic of my set up, the ARMS #40L buis I have is actually taller than yours by a bit also.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2752428192_f1808298e9_b.jpg

crossgun
08-11-08, 23:29
jimmy

What your planning on will not work. The mount with the 1x4 NXS I run is 1.500 high and there is about 0.200" between it and my Troy BUIS. You’re going to have to at least be grater than 1.300 with a ring.

Question I have is why run a set of rings instead of a QD mount like those made by either LaRue or American Defense? Both are GTG. You could never deploy the rear BUIS unless you had tools to remove the rings seeing it will be trapped under the scope.

If you don’t run a QD mount then you might as well remove the rear sight totally.

The other issue I believe you may run into with a ring or mount that is less than 1.500 is that you will really have to burry your cheek into the stock to see properly through the scope. I am running some 1.400 Badgers ultra high rings on my SPR with a Magpul PRS stock and it just isn’t tall enough.

If any one has knowledge into a pair of high quality rings greater than 1.500 please advise.

jimmyp
08-12-08, 07:33
Thank you I am glad I posted here as someone else had advised toward the lower rings. I am concerned about the cantilever mounts, I tried one last week I forget the brand but was able to feel noticable deflection in the scope with my finger under the cantilever section and my thumb pressing down on the rings. No permanent deflection was noticed, but I did not buy it, maybe I need to rethink this especially if it springs back to the exact spot. Any data on accuracy and repeatability with the cantilever mounts vs rings?