PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint mount question

Mark/MO
08-11-08, 20:14
I've finally saved enough money to buy an Aimpoint ML3 and was looking at both American Defense and Larue mounts. Judging by the threads I saw both seem to be good with some strong opinions held on each one.

Which model/height of either mount would I need if I wanted to see the iron sights in the bottom third of the optic? Thanks.

LOKNLOD
08-11-08, 20:24
Either the Larue LT-150 or the ADM AD-68H. Optionally you could use the cantilevered version of either mount, the LT-129 or AD-68C, if you wanted to push the optic forward.

Mark/MO
08-13-08, 17:35
Thanks, that was what I was wondering.

Curious but what is the advantage of pushing the optic out with the cantilevered models? Probably a "duh" question but hey, I qualify.

LOKNLOD
08-13-08, 17:54
Thanks, that was what I was wondering.

Curious but what is the advantage of pushing the optic out with the cantilevered models? Probably a "duh" question but hey, I qualify.

I've heard multiple reasons, the most valid being if you plan to mount a magnifier behind it. I've also heard heard a few people prefer the "balance" of the weapon with the optic farther forward, and some feel it gives a better field of view when shooting with the optic pushed forward a bit. Also "cause it looks cool" may be a defense for some. In my very meek opinion, it is of limited value except for clearance for a magnifier.

Mark/MO
08-13-08, 20:12
OK, that makes sense.

I am not planning to run a magnifier and the "look" isn't really important to me. I think I'll probably go with the standard mount. Thanks.

ST911
08-13-08, 23:47
Which model/height of either mount would I need if I wanted to see the iron sights in the bottom third of the optic? Thanks.

I run LT mounts. LT-150 for standard, LT-129 for cantilever.

Many would advocate getting the cantilever mount. There's no downside, and you leave some options open for the future.

RyanB
08-13-08, 23:51
T-1, LaRue mount. You'll thank me later.

Mark/MO
08-24-08, 17:11
Thanks to everyone for the information. Someone said the Aimpoint rubber cover would not fit on the ADM mounts. Does anyone know if that is true? It isn't anything to me I'm just curious if they were right.

JTrusty
08-24-08, 17:28
Someone said the Aimpoint rubber cover would not fit on the ADM mounts.

Someone was ill informed. ;)

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/dd19.jpg

Mark/MO
08-24-08, 17:55
Thank you. Yes, they were obviously wrong. I wasn't sure and one thing I've learned is to keep my mouth shut on subjects I know nothing about. :)

Stickman
08-24-08, 20:46
Thank you. Yes, they were obviously wrong. I wasn't sure and one thing I've learned is to keep my mouth shut on subjects I know nothing about. :)

There is a lot of badmouthing and misinformation spread across the boards, you aren't the only person to receive it.