PDA

View Full Version : Interesting malfunction

TaterTot
01-11-16, 00:53
I don't know how she did it but my wife brought me this when we were out shooting the other day. It's her Taurus P111 g2.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/10/f728bcdd9fa790a067e609c1c83aa80e.jpg

Knocked the round out and the gun runs fine. I can't replicate the problem with any of her mags. Just chalked it up to one of those one in a million type things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1911-A1
01-11-16, 01:32
How proficient is she at shooting? Could she have loaded a round backwards in the mag? It's not unheard of if you're not paying attention and don't have a lot of experience.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 01:36
How proficient is she at shooting? Could she have loaded a round backwards in the mag? It's not unheard of if you're not paying attention and don't have a lot of experience.
Champion shooter with regional titles. I'm pretty sure she didn't load the mag backwards.

CAFGU
01-11-16, 02:39
Looks like it's dark in the background of the pic

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

T2C
01-11-16, 09:47
Are the feed lips on the magazine badly worn? I've seen fired brass wind up in the chamber backwards, but not a loaded round.

If you shoot long enough, anything is possible.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 09:54
Are the feed lips on the magazine badly worn? I've seen fired brass wind up in the chamber backwards, but not a loaded round.

If you shoot long enough, anything is possible.
No the mags don't have much milage on them. The feed lips are in line, and free of burrs, nicks, or gouges. I loaded and unloaded them several times to make sure rounds went in and out smooth.

T2C
01-11-16, 09:59
No the mags don't have much milage on them. The feed lips are in line, and free of burrs, nicks, or gouges. I loaded and unloaded them several times to make sure rounds went in and out smooth.

Then I'd take a close look for wear and adjustment of the extractor.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 10:02
I hadn't considered that. I'll check it in a bit

diving dave
01-11-16, 10:07
Years ago I had a malfunction just like like that, out of a Kimber TLE stainless 1911. At my PD range, and while double tapping the target had a round that didnt go all the way into the chamber. Like a dummy, I didnt just hit the rear of the slide, I did the tap,rack....Somehow the round came out but didnt eject, and when I released the slide it chambered just like your photo..I had to get a rod and carefully tap it out. Our rangemaster pretty much said the same thing.."How in the hell did you do that???"

T2C
01-11-16, 10:13
Now that I think about it, I have seen a malfunction like that. An officer who was proficient with firearms had the same malfunction shooting a Glock 22 and UMC 180g FMJ. She cleared the malfunction, finished the training cycle and did not have another like it. I saw her fire several hundred rounds during training and qualifications over the following years without any issues.

If it has wheels or goes bang, anything is possible.

PD Sgt.
01-11-16, 10:29
Am I the only one who wants to make a HK joke?

mcnabb100
01-11-16, 10:36

It was really tempting.

TiroFijo
01-11-16, 10:52

:D

In all seriousness, as much as this malfuction is probably one in a zillion, perhaps is some higher being telling you to steer away from Taurus.

black22rifle
01-11-16, 12:07
From what I have been told, that can happen from doing a tap rack. If the mag is low on rounds you can tap the mag hard enough for inertia to over come the spring tension and then the round does a 180 in the mag and get loaded backwards.

That's just what I was told can happen. I have never experienced it myself.

HCrum87hc
01-11-16, 13:52
That's definitely one of the more interesting malfunctions I've seen. It kind of reminds me of the time I had a spent case land directly in one of the individual ammo holes in the plastic tray as it was sticking out of an ammo box.

ShipWreck
01-11-16, 13:58
What do you expect - it's a Taurus. Looks fine to me http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/smiley128-1.gif~originalhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/smiley128-1.gif~original

SteveL
01-11-16, 14:04
No disrespect intended, but I think the round was loaded in the magazine like that. I've seen a very experienced shooter do it once as well.

TheChunkNorris
01-11-16, 14:23

Being an HK guy... I got a good chuckle out of that.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 15:01
No disrespect intended, but I think the round was loaded in the magazine like that. I've seen a very experienced shooter do it once as well.
Just tried to run a few out of the mag backwards. Flies out of the ejection port or stovepipes base up every time.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 15:03
Extractor is in good shape with good tension

mcnabb100
01-11-16, 16:31
Extractor is in good shape with good tension

Sounds like you should buy a powerball ticket.

TaterTot
01-11-16, 16:40
Sounds like you should buy a powerball ticket.
I know right! Lol

CAFGU
01-11-16, 23:28
Another reason to carry a back up gun

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

ramairthree
01-12-16, 10:50
Why would a competition shooter with regional titles being you the gun instead of clearing it herself,

And be shooting a Taurus

TaterTot
01-12-16, 12:15
Why would a competition shooter with regional titles being you the gun instead of clearing it herself,

And be shooting a Taurus
She's a champion shotguner, point was she knows what end of the cartridge goes where. She tried to clear it but if doesn't clear with fingers it comes to me, she tells me that's why she feeds me lol.

Taurus isn't my first choice for anything but she liked it so she bought it. I have a crappy Jennings I play with sometimes just because it's fun and was my dad's.

ramairthree
01-12-16, 13:37
I was just joking around, but thanks

TaterTot
01-12-16, 14:19
I was just joking around, but thanks
Well then let me tell you about this sweet Jennings I have lol

Tzook
01-12-16, 19:48
Well... You've got me. I don't have as much experience as some, but I've sent a shit load of lead down range in my lifetime and never seen that one. Weird.

tarkeg
01-12-16, 23:06
I know it wasn't the case, but I've seen this with a strong hand only malfunction drill.

TaterTot
01-16-16, 09:58
I know it wasn't the case, but I've seen this with a strong hand only malfunction drill.
Yeah neither of us are that tacticool lol