PDA

View Full Version : Larue SPR vs SPR-E help?

RallySoob
08-12-08, 11:09
I bought an accupoint TR21 (1.25-4x) and ordered a Larue mount over the phone last night. I wasn't aware there are 2 options as the rep assured me the SPR-E was the appropriate mount for my optic. After reviewing the website I see they make SPR and the SPR-E which seem the same except for height and a lil forward offset on the spr-e.

Will the SPR-E be high enough to clear my back-up Iron sights? It looks like it is not tall enough to do so. Any feedback on the TR21 in these Larue mounts would be most appreciated. :confused:

theJanitor
08-12-08, 11:18
i though the difference between the SPR and the SPR-E was the eye relief, not the height.

which one did you order? which are you comparing? someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the 104 and the 109 are the same height. and the 158 and 135 are different height

Larue specs the 139 (SPR-E) with the trijicon as a package:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=232

MisterWilson
08-12-08, 11:20
If you go to their website and hit the link for the video presentation you'll see it in relation to some low profile BUIS.

If you have something like some Troys, it looks like you'll be fine.

LOKNLOD
08-12-08, 11:30
The difference between the SPR and SPR-E is the forward offset, not vertical.

The Accupoint has a TON of eye relief (some say too much) -- you'll want the SPR-E and will probably slide it all the way forward on the upper reciever.

Which iron sights are you wanting to clear? If you're talking about the front sight, no, it will not be high enough to clear it, but for the vast majority of people it is a non-issue and is only a faint blur at low magnification. If you're talking about the rear sight, the optic will be so far forward that the height shouldn't be an issue. My Troy rear is well below the line of sight for the optic in the down position and far enough behind it that it can be raised without removing the optic (although there's no point to that since you can't use it cowitnessed). If you're trying to used a fixed rear BUIS (Larue or LMT) then you'll need to swap it for a folding version, it will be in the way.

Larue makes a taller version of the SPR mount to raise a Short-Dot above a PEQ-2 mounted out on the handguards, but not in the "-E" version. It's not what you need here either.

RallySoob
08-12-08, 11:36
this confusion stemmed from not having access to a PC last night and seeing the LArue Products add in a magazine. In the add it appears the SPR-E is significantly lower in height but I guess that's an effect of the picture I was viewing.

After seeing the presentation on the mount it seems my rear buis will clear fine (ggg mad)

I have a front flip GGG too so no worries there. I'm wondering how the scope will view in 4x mode after having it mounted this far forward. Hope the eye relief is going to be okay...

RallySoob
08-12-08, 11:43
here's the ghetto mount I was running this weekend while my Larue is in the mail. This setup was twice as heavy as the optic and barely cleared enough to use the zoom nob. Good times though, love this scope!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/0810081007a.jpg

I didn't have any problems with the scope mounted in the position it was in, thats why I'm a little nervous about having it so far forward with an SPR-E. we'll see...

LOKNLOD
08-12-08, 13:42
I didn't have any problems with the scope mounted in the position it was in, thats why I'm a little nervous about having it so far forward with an SPR-E. we'll see...

There's room to not only move the mount reward on the upper receiver somewhat, but also to fix the optic towards the rear of the mount, if you want to have the optic mounted farther rearward. I have the optic pushed all the way forward in the mount, and the mount all the way forward on the receiver, and still run my stock out one notch further than I did with my Aimpoint. Do you run with your stock all the way out? Not judging, just curious.

matthewdanger
08-12-08, 13:55
I think that the SPR-E was actually developed for the TR21. You should be good to go. If you shoot "nose to charging handle" the TR21 may actually be far enough forward that you could fit just about any BUIS - the only problem may be clearance for a scope cap to open.

I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x40 in an SPR-E. I could have fit any number of BUIS with no problem as long as the forward part of the BUIS is low enough to allow the scope cap to open and close.

RallySoob
08-12-08, 15:42
There's room to not only move the mount reward on the upper receiver somewhat, but also to fix the optic towards the rear of the mount, if you want to have the optic mounted farther rearward. I have the optic pushed all the way forward in the mount, and the mount all the way forward on the receiver, and still run my stock out one notch further than I did with my Aimpoint. Do you run with your stock all the way out? Not judging, just curious.

I run my stock 1 notch in from full extension. I assume it will work out okay. During lunch I took a peak through the scope at a good 1.5ft from my face and the eye relief was still kickin ass. This thing is pretty impresive in 1.25x mode. Better than I thought it would be for fast target acuisition

theJanitor
08-12-08, 17:18
this is an IOR in an SPR-E. it clears the troy BUIS and i normally run the stock one more click in from this pic

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/a-IMG_7869.jpg

LOKNLOD
08-12-08, 19:10
Here's mine:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/001.jpg

RallySoob
08-13-08, 14:40
The Larue mount will hold an Absolute Zero Right?

My accucam holds zero if pushed all the way forward before locking. Hoping the Larue will be a bit more snug on rail fitment

RallySoob
08-14-08, 09:39
SPR-E mount arrived. feels great

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/0813081742.jpg

LOKNLOD
08-14-08, 10:32
Looks good! Much better than that other setup :D

2011BLDR
08-14-08, 20:43
The Larue SPR-E mount was built to my spec for the TR21 application on a CAS-V rail ( scope pushed all the way forward in the mount) or reverse mounted on the MK14 MOD0/1 FWD rail (scope pulled all the way back in the mount ). That is why the height is the same as the SPR because with the CAS-V and MK14 rail you end up with the same height as the SPR 1.93” The proper mount for a TR21 on a standard flat top would be a SPR-E 1.93” if it existed.

To realize maximum performance from the TR21 the eye relief needs to be optimized for 1.25X, the reticle and the rear eye piece ring should be visible in the target picture with both eyes open very similar to an EoTech & Aimpoint sight picture ware you see around the tube not through it. On 4X you will need to crawl the stock about ½-¾ “and use a dominant eye focus on the target (look through the scope now) just as any other magnified optic. This set up in the PIC looks to close for maximum performance. Try pushing the scope all the way forward in the mount, place the mount all the way forward on the upper receiver and use some LOP on the stock.

Out.
2011BLDR

RallySoob
08-15-08, 09:05
The Larue SPR-E mount was built to my spec for the TR21 application on a CAS-V rail ( scope pushed all the way forward in the mount) or reverse mounted on the MK14 MOD0/1 FWD rail (scope pulled all the way back in the mount ). That is why the height is the same as the SPR because with the CAS-V and MK14 rail you end up with the same height as the SPR 1.93” The proper mount for a TR21 on a standard flat top would be a SPR-E 1.93” if it existed.

To realize maximum performance from the TR21 the eye relief needs to be optimized for 1.25X, the reticle and the rear eye piece ring should be visible in the target picture with both eyes open very similar to an EoTech & Aimpoint sight picture ware you see around the tube not through it. On 4X you will need to crawl the stock about ½-¾ “and use a dominant eye focus on the target (look through the scope now) just as any other magnified optic. This set up in the PIC looks to close for maximum performance. Try pushing the scope all the way forward in the mount, place the mount all the way forward on the upper receiver and use some LOP on the stock.

Out.
2011BLDR

I'll try that. It looks like I am the only one that hasn't put the TR21 full forward in the mount. Its hard to fathom if your not used to a BAC scope with zoom. Thanks for the pointers btw, I appreciate it