PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys take part in office gun / tactical discussions?

Koshinn
01-12-16, 09:46
Almost every day a few cubicles over, a group of guys talk about guns, tactical gear, and what not. I even saw one on TOS once.

I'm always tempted to correct misconceptions and crap, but I kind of see it like a gun store... just nod and move on with life, there's no point in wasting my breath and time.

What about you guys?

7.62NATO
01-12-16, 09:47
Almost every day a few cubicles over, a group of guys talk about guns, tactical gear, and what not. I even saw one on TOS once.

I'm always tempted to correct misconceptions and crap, but I kind of see it like a gun store... just nod and move on with life, there's no point in wasting my breath and time.

What about you guys?

Depending on the workplace, any talk about weapons, tactics, etc. can be grounds for discipline, suspension, termination.

Outlander Systems
01-12-16, 09:51
There's a particular gun-shop-wallflower-type jackleg kid I work with that is every bad gun-owner stereotype rolled into one.

3/4 Fudd, 1/4 Tactical Timmy.

He already knows everything, so I don't even bother.

Depending on the workplace, any talk about weapons, tactics, etc. can be grounds for discipline, suspension, termination.

Arik
01-12-16, 09:53
Neh. One guy is only interested in hunting and another guy is one of those. ..."if it saves just one life" .....type of gun owner

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Firefly
01-12-16, 10:03
Hell no. There's other stuff I would sooner discuss.

Religion, politics, BDSM and guns I do not discuss with mundanes.

Outlander Systems
01-12-16, 10:07
Our typical lunch discussions involve Clash of Clans, and debating the hotness of Katherine Timpf vs. Kennedy vs. Andrea Tantaros.

Failure2Stop
01-12-16, 10:16
I am lucky about where I work apparently...

Eurodriver
01-12-16, 10:25
Wow, you guys are really missing out on:

A) Sleeping with hot bitches
B) Having a blast with coworkers
C) Bringing on-the-fence folks to our side.

While so many people will be quick to jump on tactical timmy and Fudds (not singling you out O.S., just similar terms) "our side" has quite the same effect with grouchy old guys who "know more than you" and assume everyone is the "enemy". You can't be the quiet guy in the corner for 20 years wearing boots, 5.11 pants, and a QD web belt and all of a sudden be like "Ya'll wants ta see meh guns?!?!" If you're anything like 7.62NATO, it is absolutely preferred that you shut your mouth and never bring up 2A issues to coworkers - ever.

Unfortunately, you can't make the new Staff Accountant join the Marine Corps and deploy to Helmand in order to get practical experience and know why a certain rifle/setup is bullshit so you're going to have to tell them or they'll never know. Similarly, you can't show the new girl that she actually can handle a Glock and get the drop on Malik and Paul if they are kicking her door in if you don't show her.

This doesn't involve walking in every day saying "I'M CARRYING A FIREARM. ONE ARMS DISTANCE OR ELSE". It doesn't even involve mentioning you own firearms. A simple "Nah, not really. A woman can totally defend herself with a gun. It works a lot better than pepper spray. You know what? We should head to that new range after work and see if we can get Tiffany to hit anything!"

The object of bringing people to the range and talking about guns can't be to "get them on our side" whether its with 2A or Fudd Gear. But I've found that every single time I brought someone to the range (even a hardcore Chicago Lesbian) they at the very minimum soften their anti-2A stance or look into BCM.

7.62NATO
01-12-16, 10:26

While so many people will be quick to jump on tactical timmy and Fudds (not singling you out O.S., just similar terms) "our side" has quite the same effect with grouchy old guys who "know more than you" and assume everyone is the "enemy". You can't be the quiet guy in the corner for 20 years wearing boots, 5.11 pants, and a QD web belt and all of a sudden be like "Ya'll wants ta see meh guns?!?!" If you're anything like 7.62NATO, it is absolutely preferred that you shut your mouth and never bring up 2A issues to coworkers - ever.

Unfortunately, you can't make the new Staff Accountant join the Marine Corps and deploy to Helmand in order to get practical experience and know why a certain rifle/setup is bullshit so you're going to have to tell them or they'll never know.

:dirol:

docsherm
01-12-16, 10:32
I get the questions directed at me for all gun and military questions because people kind of know my back ground........ :dirol:

I try to explain and/ answer the best I can.

Firefly
01-12-16, 10:33
Kennedy since Alternative Nation.

God damn that white girl would be wrecked like a stolen Yugo in the worlds most redneck demolition derby.

wildcard600
01-12-16, 10:33
Nope. In my last job only one or two people who i had worked with for years even knew i owned a gun.

I just let the "Glock 23 means it fires a 23mm bullet" go on and leave the area as soon as possible.

Koshinn
01-12-16, 10:34

Well I discuss at least one of those with "mundanes." You can figure out which :p

My work place is a defense contractor with about 50% prior service. Also, there's like no females, and those that do work here tend to be married and on the older side. I'm actually one of the youngest people here at 30.

Alex V
01-12-16, 10:36
I work in a small firm so its a bit of a family feel. The owner of the co (I am second in command) noticed I was into firearms and asked me to take him to the range. I took him along with another co-worker who expressed interest. They shot my G19, M&P9, Beretta 90-Two in .40 and my PredatAR and loved it. The next day my boss filled out his Firearms ID card application and asked me to be a reference lol. Got himself a VP9 and M&P9, looking for his first AR now.

He asks me gun questions all the time. Yesterday we were watching LAV's YouTube channel because Larry had a good review of the G42 Vs Shield and he is looking for a carry gun. We can't carry in NJ obviously, but we have clients in free states and travel a lot for work.

Sometimes we take off a few hours early and go to the range lol.

ColtSeavers
01-12-16, 10:40
I was actually quite shocked a couple of years ago when a new hire was talking about getting a whizzed out Rem 700 in .308 for long range shooting and found out that the majority of the people I work with are either gun owners themselves or favorable to gun ownership. Everyone, including myself, tried to give the new guy good advice. It doesn't come up very often anymore as everyone pretty quickly came to understand we're all on the same page. The guy ended up with a 24"bbl Rem 700 in .308, and getting an AI stock along with a really nice Night Force FFP scope.

Outlander Systems
01-12-16, 10:41
Oh, don't get me wrong...

Three years ago when I started here, my boss has gone from, "People who CCW are paranoid" to asking for advice on his first AR this morning.

The individual cited previously has demonstrated, not just on firearms, but on various other topics, that he is a SME.

Dude's 24. He ain't an SME on anything other than what's trending on Pr0nHub. I let him flap his dicksuckers, and throw him up as a lost cause until the stupid's outta him. He's an EXTREMELY boisterous, blowhard type.

Meanwhile, another "kid" asked me yesterday what he should get for his first CCW...

I still can't convince the grown-ups that cheap optics aren't cool / cool optics aren't cheap, but they'll figure it out. I'm still working on convincing them that a WML is mandatory...

I've come to see that "non gun" people are coming around. My mother-in-law voted for Obama twice, and has gone from hating guns to picking up a J-frame, and had the city P.D. come to help her set up a neighborhood watch.

The time's, they are-a-changin'.

Unfortunately, you can't make the new Staff Accountant join the Marine Corps and deploy to Helmand in order to get practical experience and know why a certain rifle/setup is bullshit so you're going to have to tell them or they'll never know. Similarly, you can't show the new girl that she actually can handle a Glock and get the drop on Malik and Paul if they are kicking her door in if you don't show her.

This doesn't involve walking in every day saying "I'M CARRYING A FIREARM. ONE ARMS DISTANCE OR ELSE". It doesn't even involve mentioning you own firearms. A simple "Nah, not really. A woman can totally defend herself with a gun. It works a lot better than pepper spray. You know what? We should head to that new range after work and see if we can get Tiffany to hit anything!"

The object of bringing people to the range and talking about guns can't be to "get them on our side" whether its with 2A or Fudd Gear. But I've found that every single time I brought someone to the range (even a hardcore Chicago Lesbian) they at the very minimum soften their anti-2A stance or look into BCM.

nova3930
01-12-16, 11:09
nah. working in support of DoD, there's far too many "been there done that" types around for my opinion to mean anything. Hell, Just in the adjacent pods I know there's one vet of the 75th Ranger who spent a fair bit of time in Afghanistan and 2 vets of the 160th SOAR who've been god knows where. If I'm asked a question I'll answer but otherwise I STFU....

Blstr88
01-12-16, 11:12
Our typical lunch discussions involve Clash of Clans, and debating the hotness of Katherine Timpf vs. Kennedy vs. Andrea Tantaros.

Seriously? Andrea Tantaros blows them all out of the water.

http://patriotupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/28160AF500000578-3058419-image-a-5_1430199174162.jpg

Alex V
01-12-16, 11:30
Seriously? Andrea Tantaros blows them all out of the water.

http://patriotupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/28160AF500000578-3058419-image-a-5_1430199174162.jpg

Agreed! My wife is in love with Kimberly tho, can't say I blame her. I said Im okay with it, but if shit goes down, I want pics. LOL She does think Kimpf is very cute as well. I think its the glasses. Im on the fence.

Detmongo
01-12-16, 11:34
I do because in the both places I work in its all we talk about. I'm lucky I guess.

MegademiC
01-12-16, 11:38
I do. I've gone shooting with a couple. I'm professional and polite, and while being much younger, they found out I was right about stuff and now ask for my input occasionally. I convinced one to make 2 good purchases vs dpms/ruger stuff, and he now has more professional training than I have, though I still perform better.

Point is, take it one step at a time, be careful who you talk to/around, but not everyone is completely close minded. Politeness and professionalism go a long way.

interfan
01-12-16, 11:44
Agreed! My wife is in love with Kimberly tho, can't say I blame her. I said Im okay with it, but if shit goes down, I want pics. LOL She does think Kimpf is very cute as well. I think its the glasses. Im on the fence.

Jedediah Bila:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/16/65/c9/1665c96014366d2d8fe4adc6e0b55448.jpg

Hmac
01-12-16, 11:45
The last thing I want is for people I work with to view me as some kind of knowledgeable gun guy. Someone asking me is one thing, "correcting misconceptions" is entirely another and IMHO is universally a bad idea.

Having said that, the majority of people I work with are or have become gun enthusiasts, so our conversations in the Surgeon's Lounge tend to go that way frequently.

Outlander Systems
01-12-16, 12:03
This. It's wholly dependent upon the institutional culture.

Point is, take it one step at a time, be careful who you talk to/around, but not everyone is completely close minded. Politeness and professionalism go a long way.

interfan
01-12-16, 12:30
Within my company, I am responsible for two foreign offices (Italy and the UK) as well as one here. Here, we usually go to the range at lunchtime and pack a sack lunch or get food to go on the way back. We're not a big office, so everyone knows where eachother stand on things. Here all of us are older, married, politically conservative with Libertarian leanings; and all fervent anti-Keynesians. So gun discussions usually also wrap into politics and economics as well. I will also match funds for any NRA contributions donated by any employees - as an unofficial policy of course.

The entertaining discussions are with the Italian and UK guys. The starting point is usually the same for even the guys who have prior foreign military or police service as they have the "mommy may I" mentality as civilians, with all of the restrictions (Italy) or prohibitions (UK). A few guys in both groups have been brainwashed by statism that they can't reconcile why we deserve our freedoms here and stay in the "how can you get that?" or "why does the government let you have that?" mentality, which is strangely similar to an ex-Californian we just hired as well. One guy in the UK is older and remembers when Her Majesty's government let her peasants own firearms and is only staying in the UK until his youngest daughter finishes high school, then he's coming here. Most of the time, the conversations end with them cursing their repressive governments and wanting to work here. We constantly troll them with pics from the range, local gun stores, and our respective collections - you know - 'Merica that's why. The first stop when any come here is usually a range to go shoot. Since we have no shortage of ranges, we usually oblige on the way from the airport to the hotel and have some "loaners" (BCM C8 clones to make them feel at home) for our guests to use at lunch when they are here.

THCDDM4
01-12-16, 13:25
Yep. All the time. Most of the dudes I work with served. All of them are into guns, some more than others. For our Company Christmas party we went shooting followed by the Broncos/Raiders game and then to a whiskey/cigar bar- where we talked about guns.

It would be hard to work somewhere that wasn't gun friendly.

PatrioticDisorder
01-12-16, 14:05
I don't think I've ever started a convo about guns once, but it is a frequent topic of conversation among peers.

misanthropist
01-12-16, 17:37
Well...yes. But that's what they pay me for.

Tzook
01-12-16, 17:51
Well, my "office" is a bit different being that I'm LEO, but you wouldn't believe the stupid shit people are willing to believe. The DPMS/Bushmaster/RRA crowd have to be beat away with a stick.

SilverBullet432
01-12-16, 17:56
Most of the stories floating around the office are: I was a sniper in vietnam and "i shot that deer from 700 yards away with my .338 LA-POOH-AHHHH!!!"

fallenromeo
01-12-16, 18:35
Not really. Working in a rather uptight accounting firm, I tend to keep my mouth shut. I am not sure, and don't want to ask, but I get the feeling some of the bosses may be pretty left leaning. So I can only imagine their opinions on guns, politics, etc. I just keep quiet, and talk about it with my like-minded friends.

SeriousStudent
01-12-16, 20:55
Virtually everyone where I work owns guns. Half of them have a CHL.

There is a fair amount of derpitude (one owns a Taurus Judge, the poor stupid bastige) but I helped a friend pick out a Colt 6920 OEM2 and a bunch of mags last week.

For a bunch of IT geeks, they are exceptionally well armed.

sadmin
01-12-16, 21:34
Same here- in East Texas where I work, everyone owns, carries, and is adamantly pro shooting terrorists. Consequently, they don't train, have no standards, shoot ball, rock uncle mikes, and say they will hit anything they point at. Explaining ECQC to them was like bait to get heckled with gay jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCrum87hc
01-13-16, 09:22
I work for a local county here in South Carolina, and have to be careful who I talk to about certain topics. In our office, there's one other guy that's very pro gun, but doesn't actually own any or know much about them. My boss is a pro gun democrat, so I can at least talk guns with her as long as it doesn't spread to other politics.

Averageman
01-13-16, 10:49
Right now there are three of us here, Ever hear of a three legged stool?
Well we are two legs and a stool, the kind you wipe up afterwards.

cbx
01-13-16, 14:15
I try not to engage in it anymore either. It's just better that way. Backwards optic mounts with 40 dollar scopes just cause too much mental pain for me, especially when they're chirping about how they could have 4 rifles for the cost of the one that I bring out. The fact that the 200 yd target isn't even visible in their optic is irrelevant, to them.... Who shoots more than 25 yds into the berm.....right?

My main plight is the fudds in my family. They act like they are going to get aids anytime the tactical autoloaders come out. Like its eternal sin or some shit. Got almost ridiculed out of my house on xmas over my desire for a ruger RPR. Like it was blasphemous to their bolt action ideology. Every one of my rifles out shoot their deer hunter specials. But they are still junk, and only guns that "wanna be's" have...... "can't hunt deer, or elk with then...." Why not I ask? "Well, if you need more than one shot........blah blah blah."

Thing is they all get raging boners over their 40 cal striker fired m&p's and glocks... with CT lasers.....Those don't count and aren't tactical at all.

Idiots..... Don't fight it. Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/de/d2/be/ded2be03d5ca31bd03605492ade14672.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/o4b5OVBJ-Lw/0.jpg

Dist. Expert 26
01-13-16, 14:52
I make a point not to talk about my guns except with one coworker that also takes shooting seriously. I've found that telling typical "gun guys" about my AR or precision rifle is a waste of time because they either have no idea what I'm talking about, they think they know more than I do, or they think a $25 Wal-Mart red dot is comparable to my micro t-1. One guy was bragging about his ultra reliable AR-10 that he fired a whopping 75 rounds through.

If people ask I give the best advice I can, but other than that I keep my mouth shut.