PDA

View Full Version : Odd Glock issue, no google help

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 14:59
Need some opinions, or answers. I shoot Glocks more than any other handguns out there. Specifically my G19 Gen 4, it goes everywhere with me. I was at the range a few days ago with my rescue gun, a Glock 34 Gen 4, and I had something odd happen. I was obeying their one round per second rule, so I wasn't mag dumping, just pure slow firing, I noticed the takedown levers got VERY hot. I didn't think anything of it, kept shooting. About two magazines later, it was so hot you couldn't touch it. This has never happened on my G19 in 2500+ rounds, with tons of rapid firing and magazine dumps. I lubed the G34 before the range, but did not clean it.

I did have the takedown levers blow out once on a Gen 4 G23 at the range a few years ago, and I wonder if I am gearing up for the same issue here? What are your guys opinions? Ammo was factory Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ.

trio
01-13-16, 15:56
Wait, how did the takedown levers blow out? I've fired thousands of rounds through many, many glocks. I had a gen 3 17 with over 25000 rounds on it. The takedown levers getting hot through sustained fire, whether rapid or not, I've always just viewed as par for the course. Never thought anything of it.

BCmJUnKie
01-13-16, 16:11
It gets hot because the bottom of the barrel is resting on it. As far as it "Blowing out" I think maybe an exaggeration since it doesn't do anything but sit under a spring. Seems wierd but I have seen crazy things happen

i could be wrong but it seems like a sustained rate of fire increases temperatures greater than bursts of full auto?

Not sure how it works, but in my experience it seems true. Again I could be mistaken

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 16:16
That's the best way I can describe what happened to the G23. I pulled the trigger, gun went bang, then pop and the whole slide slid forward out of battery. Never found anything except pieces of the takedown lever on the bench. I took it into their onsite gunsmith, he inspected it and installed a new one, and from then on it had zero issues.

The lever on my Glock 19 has never felt hot like this G34 did. Maybe a tad warmer, but not bad. I am just curious what I can do here, or what I should do.

fullmetalredhead
01-13-16, 16:33
For the slide lock lever to shoot out, the spring must have failed. The lever plus spring will run you $10-$15 shipped and are easy to replace if you're concerned.

http://www.glockstore.com/slide-lock
http://www.glockstore.com/slide-lock-spring

darr3239
01-13-16, 17:14
Never noticed the take down levers on my Glocks getting hot, even under sustained fire with several mags on my Glock 35 40 cal.

I also hardly ever wear gloves when shooting a handgun.

Talon167
01-13-16, 17:27
My buddy's G19.4 has had the takedown lever (spring) fail on him twice. Both times the gun wasn't usable anymore. Not particularly confidence building. Sure, it's a $10 part and easy to replace.... but on a carry gun? No.

L-2
01-13-16, 17:56
What's a "takedown lever" on a Glock?
I've had two slide-stop lever springs break.
I've had one slide lock spring break.
I've got dozens, if not hundreds, of "buddies" with no breakages on their Glocks, all which they carry. I should add, they're all cops and most only shoot the required 100 or so rounds per year.

I've no idea how or why a person has never noticed their gun getting hot before.

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 18:09
What's a "takedown lever" on a Glock?
I've had two slide-stop lever springs break.
I've had one slide lock spring break.
I've got dozens, if not hundreds, of "buddies" with no breakages on their Glocks, all which they carry. I should add, they're all cops and most only shoot the required 100 or so rounds per year.

I've no idea how or why a person has never noticed their gun getting hot before.

Well I have noticed my guns get hot on several occasions, absolutely, but never in this spot, and never this much heat. A quicl google search tells me it's a slide lock, not a takedown lever like i refer to it as. So, correct terminology, Slide lock.

Frailer
01-13-16, 20:10
Two questions:

How many rounds did you fire?

What's a "rescue gun"?

Rushing
01-13-16, 20:20
I kind of called those "take down tabs" and slide stop.
I actually thought this was going to be a question about shooting, because for some reason I cannot shoot Glocks very well no matter the caliber.

WickedWillis
01-13-16, 20:23
Two questions:

How many rounds did you fire?

What's a "rescue gun"?

Lol, sorry.

I fired exactly 150 rounds while I was there for about an hour and a half. It was the only gun I took to the range. I call it a rescue Glock as a joke because I bought it from a guy who did a horrible stipple job on the frame and didn't want it anymore so I got it for a decent deal. I retextured the frame as best as I could. I have roughly 500 rounds through this gun, and this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Thought I'd run it by you guys.

MegademiC
01-13-16, 20:57
Is there metal in there that could be touching the barrel? Perhaps your g19 does not touch the metal, or maybe there is plastic in the way?

DirectTo
01-13-16, 22:14
I've noticed my slide lock getting warm with extended shooting, but never remotely warm enough to where I worried. The most I've put through it rapidly was 900 rounds in about 4 hours; it was pretty warm but I could rest my trigger finger on it while between shots/while reloading/etc.

I imagine on your 23 the spring that holds the slide lock in place just had a defect and broke. There's no way the spring gave way due to the heat without the polymer showing some sort of heat damage as well.

SDSwoll
01-14-16, 01:04
Common occurrence for the slide stop levers with both Gen 3 and 4 Glocks IME. As previously stated the metal barrel lugs interface with the slide stop, which is also metal, so if you are using factory parts there will be heat transfer. Perhaps you notice it on this handgun and not the 19 due to the grip change from the stipple and re-stipple changing your thumb position?

montrala
01-14-16, 03:52
That's the best way I can describe what happened to the G23. I pulled the trigger, gun went bang, then pop and the whole slide slid forward out of battery. Never found anything except pieces of the takedown lever on the bench.

My buddy's G19.4 has had the takedown lever (spring) fail on him twice. Both times the gun wasn't usable anymore. Not particularly confidence building. Sure, it's a $10 part and easy to replace.... but on a carry gun? No.

If this would be any other make than Glock, then half of forum would already be screaming and running around it in circles ;)

It is not strongest part of Glock design. Any material problem in this piece of and it breaks apart. Spring can also fail easily. There are better designs on the market in this regard, but let's remember that everything can be broken, render inoperable or just made to cease functioning. In mass Glock reliability and durability is sufficient (personally my choice of carry gun is in other brand, but this is ... personal choice). I know that this is not comforting for guy who will have this happen to him in defensive scenario. Only solution seems to be to have backup gun. I think that nothing better than that was invented yet.

Robb Jensen
01-14-16, 09:05
GLOCK 19/23/32 Gen4s have their own slide lock springs, part #SP 08073. Early guns used the same spring as a Gen 3. "Sometimes" even the correct spring doesn't fix it. In that case return it to GLOCK.
This is why I don't own a G19 Gen4, it still has fleas.

WickedWillis
01-14-16, 13:01
If this would be any other make than Glock, then half of forum would already be screaming and running around it in circles ;)

It is not strongest part of Glock design. Any material problem in this piece of and it breaks apart. Spring can also fail easily. There are better designs on the market in this regard, but let's remember that everything can be broken, render inoperable or just made to cease functioning. In mass Glock reliability and durability is sufficient (personally my choice of carry gun is in other brand, but this is ... personal choice). I know that this is not comforting for guy who will have this happen to him in defensive scenario. Only solution seems to be to have backup gun. I think that nothing better than that was invented yet.

I do love most Glocks, but I accept the fact that like anything else, they can fail. I just wasn't sure if this was common, or not.

GLOCK 19/23/32 Gen4s have their own slide lock springs, part #SP 08073. Early guns used the same spring as a Gen 3. "Sometimes" even the correct spring doesn't fix it. In that case return it to GLOCK.
This is why I don't own a G19 Gen4, it still has fleas.

With my short fingers the Gen 4 mag releases are certainly easier for me to manipulate, but I am planning on adding some Gen 3 guns back into the safe. Reliability should trump convenience. Thanks for your time Robb.

Robb Jensen
01-14-16, 19:24
What I wish GLOCK would do is make Gen 3 guns which have the reversible mag catch and the grip texture and modular grip pieces like a Gen 4 but that's a pipe dream.

Dirknar
01-14-16, 19:29
But wouldn't that, then be the same as a gen 4??

buckshot1220
01-14-16, 19:48
But wouldn't that, then be the same as a gen 4??

Sans dual recoil spring. That is the kicker.

I'd basically like the Vicker's edition Glock in black but with the big Gen4 mag release. Again, pipe dream.

Code3Patriot
01-14-16, 20:34
Sans dual recoil spring. That is the kicker.

I'd basically like the Vicker's edition Glock in black but with the big Gen4 mag release. Again, pipe dream.

This. I would buy ten of them.

montrala
01-18-16, 07:01
Changing frame dimensions is what allowed for changeable backstraps. On other hand conversions to "old style" recoil assembly are as complicated as using correctly sized washer.

09fatbob
01-21-16, 08:16
I have never heard of such a thing in my life or seen this. I've shot glock since 86, I will now watch and see