PDA

View Full Version : barrel fitment glock 17

krallstar
01-14-16, 05:55
Could someone with a G17 slide measure the barrel opening for me. I bought a lonewolf barrel and there seems to be a lot of muzzle movement up front. How about how much barrel movement is exceptable. Mine has as much as a beretta 92. Will this be a problem.

DirectTo
01-14-16, 14:37
Could someone with a G17 slide measure the barrel opening for me. I bought a lonewolf barrel and there seems to be a lot of muzzle movement up front. How about how much barrel movement is exceptable. Mine has as much as a beretta 92. Will this be a problem.
I measure .580" in the opening on both a Gen 2 and Gen 4 G17 of mine. There is no noticeable play in my barrels when trying to move them in battery. All factory.

krallstar
01-14-16, 17:27
My slide opening is.595 and the lone wolf barrel is .570 I was given the slide. Guess it might be out of spec. I don't have a factory barrel to measure.

DirectTo
01-14-16, 18:24
My slide opening is.595 and the lone wolf barrel is .570 I was given the slide. Guess it might be out of spec. I don't have a factory barrel to measure.
All of my Glock 9mm barrels on hand (17 Gen 2 and 4, 19 Gen 2 and 4) measure .571", so the barrel certainly sounds correct. Just seems weird to me it would have play in it. Even with some dead space around my barrel visible in the slide opening, I can't move the barrel.

krallstar
01-16-16, 11:10
Talked to the guy i got this slide from. Says he got it from his dad. His dad liked to tinker and may have opened up the front. Not sure why. I can have a bushing made for $200.00. Just going to get another slide. Thanks

mutedblade
01-16-16, 22:48
That sucks krallstar. I can't see a reason for someone to tinker like that. Have you shot it with that much play, if so what was the accuracy like? I really dislike the bubba types that pawn their crap off onto others after they turn it into an expensive paperweight.

mizer67
01-18-16, 09:48
It's not a 1911. You don't (typically) fit the business end of a Glock barrel to the ID of the slide as it's not a critical dimension.

If you're serious about barrel fitment, ditch the LW barrel and get an oversized "gunsmith" fit barrel of your choice and fit the bottom locking pad appropriately to the frame, as well as the back/sides of the barrel hood as necessary. This will eliminate any up/down/side to side play when pushing on the barrel hood, or the front of the barrel. Buying a new slide is going to be a waste of $180, in my opinion.

You're into it for ~$200 any way you look at it if this bothers you. How's it shoot now?

krallstar
01-19-16, 07:54
I used some .010 brass shim stock and fit it to the slide opening. Went to the range and the first 2 shots were touching at about 10yds. Not to bad. Will run a bunch thru it and see how things go. Shooting cast 130gr rn