PDA

View Full Version : MLOK Rail with best attachment method?

jstalford
01-14-16, 11:23
I'm looking for an MLOK rail for a 12.5" upper. I believe the general consensus is the KMR and Geissele rails have the best barrel nut design, but Geissele rails are either too short or too long and the KMR obviously isn't MLOK.

Whats the next best thing available in MLOK? Looking for 10.5" to 11.75" rails.

Wait for Hodge 11.5"? Wait for CMR MLOK and hope they do an 11"?

TexasAggie2005
01-14-16, 11:30
I have no complaints with my ALG EMR V1. They make a 10" one too. (http://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v1-m-lok.html) Or if you want a continuous top rail, look at the V3.

stahljaeger
01-14-16, 12:11
I think the alg attachment method is better than the kmr. It has a large yet light barrel nut that the rail is directly bolted too-not a friction clamp like the kmr (a very good one, but still). You do have to time the nut. However, it is straightforward and uses rotation angle for tightening, which provides a little more consistent preload than tightening with a torque wrench.

stahljaeger
01-14-16, 12:42
12" is not what you specified, but a 12" rail will work just fine unless you are mounting a suppressor. I can fit a 10" ALG rail ( exactly 10") on a 10.5" barrel and still mount an AAC Mini4 suppressor by using about .070" of shims, giving about .050" clearance at worst case. The mini4 does sit about .120" forward of the shoulder with no shims though. SilencerCo makes a .25" precision spacer for about $13. It should work with a 12" rail and a 12.5" barrel for mounting most suppressors.

Defaultmp3
01-14-16, 12:50
Mega has 12" Wedge Locks. KAC is coming out with M-LOK URX4s; they have both a 10" and 10.75" for the KeyMod URX4s, so it's not a stretch to imagine both lengths for the M-LOK. Not sure how you feel about the Noveske NSR's barrel attachment, but Noveske is coming out with an M-LOK NSR; the manufacturer that makes the NSR, SMOS, also offers some M-LOK rails, could be worth checking out (WeaponEvolution has a good thread on it). A lot of people have been busting their nuts over the new SLR attachment method, not sure if it's actually all that great, but worth a look-see.

jstalford
01-14-16, 13:01
Thanks for the replies. I do need to be able to clear a suppressor. Either a surefire mini or a Saker. I have the Saker, but undecided if this will get a dedicated can.

I have looked at the SMOS rail...price is right, but they don't offer 11" yet.

I think the Mega is too long and the shorter Hodge version isn't out yet. The URX4 is an option.

Also in doing some searching, it seems like I might be able to get away with an ALG 12" rail and still clear, so I may go that route. They are butt ugly IMHO, but that's not really what matters :).

bruin
01-14-16, 13:15
Watch Bill Geissele's videos for ALG. He explains why a long barrel nut is a good idea for a free float rail.

Sean W.
01-14-16, 13:17
Centurion will have a Mlok CMR coming this year I think.

Defaultmp3
01-14-16, 14:30
EraThr3 sells a 10" and 12" M-LOK rail, also manufactured by SMOS.

jnr4817
01-14-16, 16:56
I just built an ar pistol with Midwest industries gen 3 mlok rail and like how it turned out. I've put 500 rounds through the gun and the rail has functioned very well. I like the slim profile, location of the mlok holes, and simple installation. They come in several different sizes. I chose the 9.25" for my 8" barrel with muzzle device equaling 9.5" total length. Thanks for reading.

Cmm46
01-14-16, 18:40
SLR Rifleworks has some m-lok rails in different lengths. I saw on 11". I have no experience with them though.

Brahmzy
01-14-16, 19:25
I will say, DO NOT believe what you see listed for weights on SLR's website. The website's a mess in that regard. Some stuff was copy/pasted, some stuff contradicts on the same page etc. The hardware weight for the SLR rails is significant. Most of the weights you see are for the rail only, and even those are innacurate. Just an FYI.

I just picked up SMOS Arms 308 MLOK for my 308. Should be here tomorrow. MLOK NSR for a 308 pretty much.

jstalford
01-14-16, 19:27
I am aware of the SLR, Erathr3, MicroMoa, Kinetic Dev, MI, and the upcoming CMR/Hodge/NSR mlok variants.

Just not much info on a lot of them. The kinetic looks interesting and SLR seems very accommodating as far as offering different lengths but not much out there I've seen on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainman
01-15-16, 07:23
I have recent experience with SLR Ion and the KDG rail.

I very much like the SLR mounting method; no shims, no indexing. The SLR profile is round-ish, a la BCM KMR...if you like the KMR you will like the SLR profile.

The KDG has a broader profile at 6-o'clock and is much less 'tube-shaped'. I've only had this rail a couple of months, but very much like the profile/feel. The KDG installation uses shims and requires indexing the (supplied) barrel nut.

Summary; I prefer the KDG profile but the SLR mounting method.

Overall quality of both seems good.

One downside of the KDG is that it's only available in a single length (although KDG has stated they will be adding additional options).

-Rainman

Brahmzy
01-15-16, 07:46
The NSRs have spoiled me. I'm a fan of the 3,6,9 o clock designs as the 7-sided get a little fatter. I have some KMRs - awesome rails, but I still cannot get over my NSRs. If KeyMod dies altogether, I'll replace them with the MLOK NSRs/SMOSs.
The barrel nut timing sucks, but is something I'll put up with for the 1.48" width, lightweight, and the strength that long barrel nut provides.

sgtbutt
01-15-16, 08:00
The NSRs have spoiled me. I'm a fan of the 3,6,9 o clock designs as the 7-sided get a little fatter. I have some KMRs - awesome rails, but I still cannot get over my NSRs. If KeyMod dies altogether, I'll replace them with the MLOK NSRs/SMOSs.
The barrel nut timing sucks, but is something I'll put up with for the 1.48" width, lightweight, and the strength that long barrel nut provides.

I've got an Erathr3 10" and got in on the receiver set and 13.7 rail from SMOS. I absolutely love the Erathr3 and am looking forward to the SMOS. The big difference on the Erathr3 is that the top rail has only a small portion on the front and rear of the receiver. As to the timing of the barrel nut with the Erathr3, super easy I thought, only downside is purchasing or borrowing a 1 3/16 crows foot wrench to torque nut in place (not really a big deal). Once nut is on, slide the forend over and use supplied torx screws to attach everything.
The profiles of the Erathr3 and NSR (and sure SMOS once I get it) are all amazing but the advantage to MLOK is it doesn't look tacky, my opinion only.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/sgtbutt/Mobile%20Uploads/20151024_074008_zps0cb9qsdi.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/sgtbutt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151024_074008_zps0cb9qsdi.jpg.html)

Brahmzy
01-15-16, 08:48
Nice rig ^^
Wish that e-word company made a 7, 9 & 11. Hopefully SMOS will.

jstalford
01-15-16, 08:53
Yeah, I need an 11. It will probably be on a 12.5" Noveske SS barrel with their pinned gas block, which I believe doesn't clear a CMR. I don't want to mess with shaving it more, so CMR is out.

I will probably wait it out for SMOS or Geissele to do a size that will work, or get an ALG/KDG/SLR in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mx5rcr
01-15-16, 09:45
I have no complaints with my ALG EMR V1. They make a 10" one too. (http://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v1-m-lok.html) Or if you want a continuous top rail, look at the V3.

Same here. Really like my EMR.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179012-ALG-EMR-install-(pic-heavy)

drtywk
01-16-16, 22:58
I am running a 10.5" MI M-Lok handguard on my 12.5" gun at the moment and it is a place holder for the Hodge 11.5" rail. I like the MI rail, but the barrel nut having to be timed sucks. I was debating on getting the 10.75" URX4, but they are not available yet and I really like the Hodge profile. I would go with the Mega rail, but at 12.625", it is too long. So the wait continues.

DekNgo
01-17-16, 01:43
Have you considered the Fortis Rev II?