PDA

View Full Version : Ambi safety

DRJ
01-15-16, 12:35
I just picked up my DD rifle and need a ambi safety. Anyone have suggestions on which one I should get and the best place to get one? Thanks I've been away from AR's for awhile and don't know what's out there.

cwgibson
01-15-16, 12:40
Battle Arms Development

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDs

jstalford
01-15-16, 13:05
What he said ^^^

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/products/safety-selectors

GH41
01-15-16, 13:34
My new favorite is the AXTS

SteveL
01-15-16, 13:39
BAD makes an excellent ambi safety. If you want a short throw model then check out BAD and AXTS. IMO they're of equal quality and price is comparable, but I give the nod to AXTS due to the lack of the lawyer pin.

My new favorite is the AXTS

Mine too for the reason above.

wigbones
01-15-16, 13:57
I use BAD levers. There's a really good deal on one in the EE: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179026-Battle-Arms-Development-parts

556BlackRifle
01-15-16, 15:09
I just got one of the new BAD CASS that is both standard and short throw (50/90 IIRC). I installed it but haven't done any real shooting with it yet. Someone mentioned that it may have trouble with some Geissele triggers. I can't confirm that because I installed mine with an ALG ACT. As far as the lawyer pin, it took me about 20 seconds to knock it off with a file.

SteveL
01-15-16, 15:20
I just got one of the new BAD CASS that is both standard and short throw (50/90 IIRC). I installed it but haven't done any real shooting with it yet. Someone mentioned that it may have trouble with some Geissele triggers. I can't confirm that because I installed mine with an ALG ACT. As far as the lawyer pin, it took me about 20 seconds to knock it off with a file.

They are easily removed, but it voids the warranty to do so.

556BlackRifle
01-15-16, 15:35
They are easily removed, but it voids the warranty to do so.

Yup. Noveske lower doesn't have the notch so I had to do it. ;)

DRJ
01-15-16, 16:04
Thanks everyone for the replies. I see I have some research to do.

titsonritz
01-15-16, 16:27
There are a few threads on this subject:

Who Else Sales AMBI short throw Safety (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?177513-Who-Else-Sales-AMBI-short-throw-Safety&highlight=talon+CASS)
BAD-A.S.S. (ambi selector) just arrived......w/ pics (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?54648-BAD-A-S-S-(ambi-selector)-just-arrived-w-pics&highlight=talon+CASS)
colt ambi or kac ambi safety? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156809-colt-ambi-or-kac-ambi-safety&highlight=talon+CASS)
Thoughts on noveske Ambi safty (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?153739-Thoughts-on-noveske-Ambi-safty&highlight=talon+CASS)
Ambi Safety Suggestions (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152706-Ambi-Safety-Suggestions&highlight=talon+CASS)

tarkeg
01-15-16, 17:22
Alright, I'll ask. What the heck is the "lawyer pin"?

jstalford
01-15-16, 17:32
I'm running a bad cass in two Noveske gen2 lowers, both of which have had numerous Geissele triggers in them with no issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zackmars
01-15-16, 17:47
Alright, I'll ask. What the heck is the "lawyer pin"?

Prevents short throw safeties from being used in lowers that have "normal" (90°) selector markings

tarkeg
01-15-16, 18:00
Prevents short throw safeties from being used in lowers that have "normal" (90°) selector markings

Roger, thanks.

556BlackRifle
01-15-16, 18:24
I'm running a bad cass in two Noveske gen2 lowers, both of which have had numerous Geissele triggers in them with no issue?

The new 50/90 core. I have one of the old ones on another Noveske lower with SSA-E and it is also okay. Just mentioning that someone told me there have been some issues with the new core and some Geissele triggers and that I haven't tried the new core with anything other than an ALG ACT so I can't confirm or refute this statement.

P2000
01-15-16, 19:02
Call me old fashioned, but I am still running regular LMT or KAC ambi safeties (they are the same). My friend has a BAD and the blocky profile just feels weird to me.

GH41
01-15-16, 19:03
Thanks everyone for the replies. I see I have some research to do.

Be sure to study the AXTS lever attachment method. They cannot come off unless you want them to. No screws or depending on threadlocker.

Wake27
01-15-16, 20:40
Be sure to study the AXTS lever attachment method. They cannot come off unless you want them to. No screws or depending on threadlocker.

While I like both my Talons, to be fair, it definitely could if the detent were to break. Probably about as likely as the bad screws walking out.

militarymoron
01-15-16, 21:07
Call me old fashioned, but I am still running regular LMT or KAC ambi safeties (they are the same). My friend has a BAD and the blocky profile just feels weird to me.

You know that they have different lever designs from blocky to very low profile. i've found the short stubby lever to work best for me for thumb activation, and the scalloped lever on the opposite side for its low profile.

titsonritz
01-15-16, 21:18
I'd say if you were truly old fashion you'd be using the standard single-sided milspec lever.

Also, check out the various BAD levers, some a very low profile: BAD-ASS SINGLE LEVER (http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-ass-single-lever-only-black-phosphate)

noonesshowmonkey
01-15-16, 22:39
I run a Seekins Precision ambi safety. It is a clever design, and can be configured to run as either a standard throw, or short throw, depending on which way you put it together. The machine work is top notch, and the scalloping on the switches gives a good grip without chewing your fingers up. Positive engagement, and easily configured. Definitely worth the investment.

Seekins makes good stuff.

PatrioticDisorder
01-15-16, 22:59
AXTS Talons are the best, albeit pricey. I have mine set up for 45 degrees and love it, great design.

El Cid
01-16-16, 08:04
I went with the BAD-ASS on my last build and am quite pleased. I have large hands so to avoid the right side digging into my trigger finger I used the short/thin piece in the side.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0980_zpsumkvygko.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsgvabporh.jpg

Vandal
01-16-16, 13:21
I run the BAD-ASS on 2 rifles and have been very pleased. I used the full size on the left of my rifle and the shorty on the right.

rainman
01-16-16, 13:25
I'd say if you were truly old fashion you'd be using the standard single-sided milspec lever.

That'd be me...cross-dominant (right-handed / left-eyed; shoot rifle and shotgun wrong-handed). I swipe the safety off with my left trigger finger.

-Rainman

DRJ
01-16-16, 19:30
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order a bad ass with standard length levers on both sides.

titsonritz
01-16-16, 20:17
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order a bad ass with standard length levers on both sides.
A lot place they can be ordered with a third lever, I'd suggest you also get a "short" or other reduced size.

DekNgo
01-17-16, 00:08
A lot place they can be ordered with a third lever, I'd suggest you also get a "short" or other reduced size.

This.

I have BAD-ASS(es) on all of my ARs and absolutely love them. I've tried just about all of the levers and settled on the standard lever on my thumb side with the short crank on the other - with one exception: my DD rifle with their new furniture required the scallop lever on my index finger side due to the pistol grip-to-trigger distance.

Randall
01-17-16, 14:52
BAD-CASS with standard on the left, short on the right for me. As far as lever choice its like everything else in this business, its all what works for you and fits your needs/reqs. If you have the funds I'd definitely listen to the above and get a third lever

Auto-X Fil
01-17-16, 15:30
I run a Seekins Precision ambi safety. It is a clever design, and can be configured to run as either a standard throw, or short throw, depending on which way you put it together. The machine work is top notch, and the scalloping on the switches gives a good grip without chewing your fingers up. Positive engagement, and easily configured. Definitely worth the investment.

Seekins makes good stuff.

+1. I really like the Seekins (although I run mil spec non-ambi on my personal gun.)

DekNgo
01-17-16, 16:14
Does Seekins have (or do they plan on having) additional lever choices?

noonesshowmonkey
01-17-16, 16:19
Does Seekins have (or do they plan on having) additional lever choices?

That'd be a good question for Seekins Customer Service. As is, their ambi lever is almost the exact dimensions as the BAD-CASS short + standard, but has a spine rather than a full thickness profile. I picked up my Seekins unit for $28, I think, on sale.

DekNgo
01-17-16, 16:22
That'd be a good question for Seekins Customer Service. As is, their ambi lever is almost the exact dimensions as the BAD-CASS short + standard, but has a spine rather than a full thickness profile. I picked up my Seekins unit for $28, I think, on sale.

Wow, that's an excellent price! Does the short side interfere with your trigger finger at all?

DRJ
01-17-16, 16:40
Well I just ordered the bad-ass with a regular and a short lever. I will let you guys know how I like it. Thanks for all the help.

noonesshowmonkey
01-17-16, 17:03
Wow, that's an excellent price! Does the short side interfere with your trigger finger at all?

It was a sale price, but it still runs about half what the Battle Arms Development units run. Price isn't always a metric that I'm willing to skimp on, but Seekins makes really good stuff, and has for a while.

Nope. It has a similar design & dimensions to the BAD-CASS, which folks find ergonomic.

556BlackRifle
01-17-16, 20:35
Well I just ordered the bad-ass with a regular and a short lever. I will let you guys know how I like it. Thanks for all the help.

Great setup right there. I also like the standard and short thin. Let us know what you think!

Duffy
01-18-16, 20:14
BAD-ASS and BAD-CASS levers are almost identical, BAD-CASS's round, disc like section that mates with the selector center has a quite pronounced 45 degree chamfer, whereas the BAD-ASS lever does not have a chamfer on the round / disc portion.

BAD selectors aren't the cheapest, but then the company never competed on price, which is a slippery slope anyway, but on quality, workmanship and design.

Though I'm not a part of the company anymore, I was in the thick of the selector development and have a lot of fond, as well as less than stellar memories. All of the good and sometimes not so good events led to the products that haven't seen significant changes since 2012 or 2011, because we got it right way back then :)

K1tt3n5
01-18-16, 20:55
I like the noveske/ magpul lever.

jk6672
01-23-16, 23:54
I like the AXTS Talon:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/778/23446186976_4f08cedc7d_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5832/22845203113_8d9fb16bff_c.jpg

26 Inf
01-24-16, 12:34
I posted this in another thread and wanted to follow-up on an active thread:

Originally Posted by DSZM4 View Post
I run seekins and they while sharp on the edges they are very smooth in operation, i also have a couple noveske sts and am very happy with those

When it comes to mag releases i run norgon and a couple knights that while huge have a role in speed drills etc...

POSTED BY 26INF:
I am a sample of one, so take this with a grain of salt - I liked the idea of the reversible barrel for 90 degree and short throw, the price was right so I ordered the Seekins. Since the furniture on that build is FDE, I also ordered their extended mag release in FDE.

Overall, remember, this is just me, the items were a little too blingy for my taste, kind of shiny, and the safety levers are sharp. Also, if I was the type that was perusing the web and saw 'Oh, shiny, I need to get this for mine!' the instructions provided - none - would not be adequate. This is a little off track, but for my money Geissele and ALG set the standard for instructions provided with their products. FWIW.

Mag release is GTG - I was initially concerned about adjusting it to work with my Troy ambi mag release, but I just bottomed it out and it works fine.

Safety is another matter, I was replacing a Noveske short throw, which had run smoothly in the lower, the Seekins piece was much stiffer and required more effort. Thinking that it would smooth out, I put a couple drops of bore research honing oil in the detent valleys, and worked that thing back and forth for a couple minutes, not much improvement.

I just happened to have 3 new CMMG ambi safeties hanging on the wall for future builds, so I took one of them out of the package and installed it - butter smooth. In fact, if I didn't want a short lever on the left side of the receiver (I'm a lefty) I would have left it in, it was smoother than the Noveske.

I did not care to swap the Seekins into any other receivers, so IDK if it was just this receiver.

I am not bagging on Seekins, I think they make quality stuff, just pointing out that with these weapons, there are minute differences which may cause one part to not work as smoothly as another. The Seekins unit is in my box and I'll try it on the next receiver I put together, it will probably work fine.

JMO

That post was a couple weeks ago. I just put together another lower and used the Seekins safety in this one. In the time in between, I had taken DUFFY's advice and ordered some KNS stainless steel detent pins from Battle Arms Development. I installed the safety after lubing it thoroughly with Brian Enos Slide Glide and the stainless steel detent. Butter smooth. I'm not for sure if it was the KNS pin, or simply the different receiver, but a product that didn't work well in one receiver is performing like a champ in this one. Two things I've taken away from this - detent pins matter, and for those of us who keep an eye on price, the Seekins is certainly worthy of consideration.

Thanks