PDA

View Full Version : ATF Efile system down, permanently?

Max713
01-15-16, 13:00
Anyone else get this email this morning???
I have a form 1 out from last October waiting on approval, and have been troubleshooting another form 1 all week with an agent (Form won't let me submit even after making payment).
I wonder what this means for my forms, or anyone elses...

So maybe not permanently... But judging by the last paragraph of the email and the ATF's reputation for speed, I don't foresee is coming back anytime soon.

Tried logging in to my efile account... "Page not available"

"Good Afternoon:

You are receiving this email because you are a registered eForms user

ATF eForms Update

The new eForms has been named the “Firearms and Explosives Application Module (FEAM)”. This name was selected to emphasis that FEAM is more than a “fillable form”. It is a business process module which will include at a minimum the functionality listed below:

· Auto assignment – All applications will be immediately upon submission assigned to an examiner for processing.

· Auto approval – Some forms, like the ATF Forms 2 and 3, if they meet certain pre-determined criteria will be automatically approved by the FEAM system upon submission.

· Internal controls and performance measurement reporting – ATF has a full audit trail of every application received with date and time stamps for every step in the process. Digital signatures can be used to lock down portions of the form to ensure the security of the data and the authenticity of the submitter.

· Improved business processes with automatic Records Management & Retention, as mandated by the Office of Management and Budget.

· Electronic Signature (for submitter and ATF personnel) - provides enhanced authentication, validation and improves processing and approval.

· Enhance Industry satisfaction: user-friendly interaction.

· FEAM provides the Application Program Interface (APIs) needed to update the existing ATF back end databases, to allow for the batch submission of multiple forms using one computer session.

· Improves efficiency for the Enforcement Programs and Services staff – Forms can be automatically routed, evaluated and tracked so that final determinations can be made in a consistent and expeditious manner.

We had hoped to be able to present the first iteration of FEAM at the 2016 SHOT Show. ATF performed an assessment of what was contracted to be developed for FEAM and what the contractor planned to deliver. At the end of the assessment, all parties involved felt that the product outlined in the current contract did not fully provide all the functionality that we expected, or that the industry requested. For these reasons we decided that rather than to continue on the current course, we would take the steps listed below to ensure that FEAM is a worthwhile investment for both the industry and ATF:

1. Curtail the current development effort.

2. Determine what is needed to sustain the existing eForms system, until the full requirements for FEAM can be determined and developed.

3. Make the necessary changes to eForms to stabilize the infrastructure with the ever-increasing user population.

4. Determine if we can re-introduce the Form 3 to the current eForms, through load testing and other system validations.

5. Perform an assessment of the ATF and industry requirements for FEAM.

6. Secure required funding for a new FEAM initiative, based on the revised requirements.

7. Restart the FEAM initiative, to include industry participation during the requirements gathering and testing processes.

We look at this as only a minor delay. It is our intention to use this delay to acquire the tools and resources necessary to develop a product that will provide more functionality and a stable workflow process and infrastructure. All the work previously done on FEAM is not lost. It will be the foundation for the work that is yet to come. If you have any questions you can contact Lee Alston-Williams at lee.alston-williams@atf.gov."

Ryno12
01-15-16, 13:13
I did not receive that email but I was also unsuccessful at trying to log in to my account.

Strange. I wonder if this is a good thing or bad. I currently have two forms pending; one eForm F1 & a mailed F4.

90slow50
01-15-16, 13:14
I got the same email, and I just filed like 3-4 days ago - two form 1s. *fingers crossed

masenomics
01-15-16, 13:20
Yeah I got the same email, seems like hopefully the website will encounter some problems, but I hope that applications approvals will not be affected at this time as I submitted a form 1 on 9/25/2015 and am now getting anxious.

BigWaylon
01-15-16, 13:20
This doesn't affect the current system. This is an update on eForms 2.0, now called FEAM...which they've been working on for almost 2 years.

I just logged into eForms with no problem. Just like I did yesterday, and Wednesday evening, and Tuesday, and Monday. Make sure to do a refresh (F5 or whatever's applicable for your browser)

Max713
01-15-16, 13:27
Update: Was able to log into my account. Curious if this will have any effect on me.

Noodles
01-15-16, 13:42
Auto Approval of most Form2 and Form3s is a pretty big deal... But I'm really not sure it could cut the workload enough for the end user for me to care about.

It's not like removing the bulk of Forms 2 and 3 from the system will be us 30 day waits.

Also.... Secure funding... Where exactly is are all my $200 checks going again?!

Noodles
01-15-16, 13:47
Update: Was able to log into my account. Curious if this will have any effect on me.

No. Title is nonsense speculation. Be more careful.

RedRallyeZ
01-15-16, 13:51
I was able to log in and view my two submitted f1's. I had to read the email a few times to see what it was saying. It basically has no real "news" in terms of new functionality for us a civilian end users. I do like the form 3 news, as I have been waiting 60 days for the one I filed on my omega.....

Max713
01-15-16, 15:35
I was able to log in and view my two submitted f1's. I had to read the email a few times to see what it was saying. It basically has no real "news" in terms of new functionality for us a civilian end users. I do like the form 3 news, as I have been waiting 60 days for the one I filed on my omega.....

I read it multiple times also, couldn't quite grasp what they were getting at. But when I went to sign into my account and got a "Page not found" error, I assumed it meant the worst.
Actually got off the phone with someone at the ATF today, more troubleshooting over my Form 1... They had no idea about the email. Strange.

9mm_shooter
01-15-16, 17:11
I got that email, along with an open list of another 1,399 users' email accounts that use the efile system. Yes, that's right, Mrs Lenora Lee Alston Williams forgot to use the BCC space on her email server to send this out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
01-15-16, 17:36
I got that email, along with an open list of another 1,399 users' email accounts that use the efile system. Yes, that's right, Mrs Lenora Lee Alston Williams forgot to use the BCC space on her email server to send this out...

Well thank God nobody hit reply all, deleting hundreds of unnecessary emails would piss me off.

Ernst
01-15-16, 17:47

My email did not come with any such open file of 1300 other users.

What are you talking about?

PatrioticDisorder
01-15-16, 18:15
My email did not come with any such open file of 1300 other users.

What are you talking about?

I just checked my email as well, I cannot see anyone else it was mailed to...

BigWaylon
01-15-16, 18:18
story is the batch includes emails that start with g-h...like mine does:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/E1B1AB3D-5A99-4E03-B2EC-9CDC304225E1_zpsarhatqvy.jpg

HKGuns
01-15-16, 18:19
They emailed them in groups, by alphabetical order, in large batches. The Group starting around G had every stinking person emailed visible in the mail. I got one and I'll not post it as an example.

vereceleritas
01-15-16, 18:44
My cynical interpretation of the email:

We spent all this time and money working on a new eForms system but it sucks so bad that even WE think it sucks. So we're starting over. And we'll need more money for that. Keep those $200 checks and paper forms coming though, so maybe we can keep the Postal Service afloat for a little longer.

k bye,
BATFE

No wonder people can't trust the government to get anything done. Sigh....

JulyAZ
01-15-16, 18:53
I don't get access to every else's email address, it's probably for the better I would have signed you all up for the best Russian dirty websites...

But I got excited when I got that email, I didn't read it. I thought it was the change of status email and that my form had gotten approved. So I jumped right on to efforts only to be disappointed as my form is still pending.

TXBK
01-15-16, 18:54
I thought it was an approval email for a stamp. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Ryno12
01-15-16, 19:01
I thought it was an approval email for a stamp. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Don't you hate that?! It seems that whenever I get an email from them, I have one pending.

9mm_shooter
01-15-16, 19:13
story is the batch includes emails that start with g-h...like mine does:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/E1B1AB3D-5A99-4E03-B2EC-9CDC304225E1_zpsarhatqvy.jpg

Yep. I'm in the g-h group too. [emoji19]

WillC
01-15-16, 20:00
With this administration I am shocked they didn't call it "Firearms and Explosives Application Resource (FEAR)"

CleverNickname
01-15-16, 20:20
Also.... Secure funding... Where exactly is are all my $200 checks going again?!

Directly into the General Fund, not the ATF's budget.

BufordTJustice
01-15-16, 21:06
Same. *sad face*

TXBK
01-15-16, 21:28
With this administration I am shocked they didn't call it "Firearms and Explosives Application Resource (FEAR)"

That is clever.

BigWaylon
01-16-16, 07:26
Yep. I'm in the g-h group too. [emoji19]
I was destined to be in that group no matter how they did it. First name "g", last name "h", email "g"...:mad:

Gunfixr
01-16-16, 08:06
Like Julyaz, I got the email late yesterday afternoon, and got all excited, as I had an f1 pending, just to be disappointed.
But, further up the emails, yesterday morning, was my approval email, so I didn't try to log in.
I had sent it in last October.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

HCrum87hc
01-17-16, 23:45

She got me too. Is it really that difficult? I guess I shouldn't expect competency, seeing as how it is the ATF...

nova3930
01-18-16, 09:57
Auto Approval of most Form2 and Form3s is a pretty big deal...

I just wonder who they bought a clue from on those. Approval for those should have been automated 10 years ago.

nova3930
01-18-16, 09:59
My cynical interpretation of the email:

We spent all this time and money working on a new eForms system but it sucks so bad that even WE think it sucks. So we're starting over. And we'll need more money for that. Keep those $200 checks and paper forms coming though, so maybe we can keep the Postal Service afloat for a little longer.

k bye,
BATFE

No wonder people can't trust the government to get anything done. Sigh....

Govt IT is the incompetent among incompetents. They move so slow that by the time something is finished it's functionally obsolete. That's why I'm stuck using IE10 (IE8 until recently!) on my work computer, despite it not functioning correctly with websites used for REQUIRED Army training.