PDA

View Full Version : PSA M4 Premium for $650 VS Colt 6920 for $950

Jay H
01-15-16, 19:33
What's the better deal? I have a opportunity to buy either. I'm leaning heavily toward the PSA. The "Specs" on these two are almost identical. Seems like the only thing the Colt has over the PSA is name recognition. Is that worth $300? I've owned several 6920s in the past and have high regard for them. This will be My 1st PSA. My research tells Me they are GTG. The one I'm looking at seems very high quality. Anyone with a PSA Premium that want's to chime in here?

Eurodriver
01-15-16, 19:41
Are you really asking us for advice or are you just looking for someone who has a PSA Premium to tell you it's GTG so you can feel better about your purchase? No shame in the latter, just easier to air that out than before 45 people post "Buy the 6920" and you end up grabbing the PSA anyway.

Additionally, you've already stated in this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179023-PSA-M4-Premium) that you are buying a PSA Premium.

And of course there's this thread too. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?178552-FN-15-Carbine-Is-the-quality-the-same-as-the-M4-FN-makes-for-the-military&p=2241702&highlight=#post2241702)

If you wanna ask if a PSA is legit, ask it. Don't compare it to the 6920 because there is no comparison. PSA's forum on TOS will show you many unsatisfied customers.

JC5188
01-15-16, 19:49
When you sell the rifles, the 6920 will get back what you gave for it. The PSA likely will not.

Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay H
01-15-16, 20:05
Are you really asking us for advice or are you just looking for someone who has a PSA Premium to tell you it's GTG so you can feel better about your purchase? No shame in the latter, just easier to air that out than before 45 people post "Buy the 6920" and you end up grabbing the PSA anyway.

Additionally, you've already stated in this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179023-PSA-M4-Premium) that you are buying a PSA Premium.

And of course there's this thread too. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?178552-FN-15-Carbine-Is-the-quality-the-same-as-the-M4-FN-makes-for-the-military&p=2241702&highlight=#post2241702)

If you wanna ask if a PSA is legit, ask it. Don't compare it to the 6920 because there is no comparison. PSA's forum on TOS will show you many unsatisfied customers.

Yes, exactly! I'm looking for people who own the PSA to make me feel better about My purchase. Come on PSA people, make me feel secure.

lethal dose
01-15-16, 20:06
I'm with my man Euro. With that said, the PSA can be just as good, but you may be rolling the dice. PSA is 5 minutes from me, so I can feel up everything before I buy. I've built multiple PSA weapons, but may think twice if they weren't within driving distance. Everything I've bought to date, though, has been just fine. Now, if this is your first, get the Colt. Build a PSA later.

JackFanToM
01-15-16, 20:14
Well IMO their CS is terrible, they ship slower than any one else I have ever dealt with, and they ship things in an absurd way. I purchased some lower springs and detents, they coulda gone USPS and been here in 5 business days. They required I get UPS ground, and it took over 31 days (don't know how long as they still hadn't arrived when I fought with their CS to just cancel the order as I bought the parts locally). They have good prices, but that is the only strength I see.

I run 2 hotels, and CS is the name of the game, so I give my business to those companies that put CS 1st. I don't mind paying for good service, and I would rather pay a bit more to a good company that stands behind their products. Hell I bugged the living s**t outta Grant when I bought my 1st BCM from him. That man has the patience of a saint (sorry again for all the emails back in 2011 Grant). His prices are good, his service is excellent. Spend a bit more and buy the Colt from him.

Eurodriver
01-15-16, 20:23
Yes, exactly! I'm looking for people who own the PSA to make me feel better about My purchase. Come on PSA people, make me feel secure.

Haha, then just say so!

I like to compare these threads to cars because it's something most people are familiar with.

If you asked about whether to get a Hyundai Genesis vs a MB C350, most everyone is gonna immediately jump in and tell you to get the C350 whether or not they even know what a Genesis is.

But if you ask for feedback if the Hyundai Genesis a decent reliable car for commuting you will get less responses from MB fanboys and more first hand accounts.

Translation: Edit your OP and ask for feedback on the exact PSA you are considering buying and you'll get much more valuable responses

Sincerely,
Been-on-M4C-too-long

PS I agree about their CS, but I just ordered mags from them today anywayand it shipped...today. Whether I get what I ordered will be interesting. People used to say they are a victim of their own success. Doing so well they couldn't keep up with demand and made mistakes. Yeah, well, that was three years ago. If you have that kind of volume and can't hire more well trained people to fill orders what does that say about your QC.

Stickman
01-15-16, 20:24
Can we get a thread lock on the troll threads? No one would ever say a PSA is near a Colt.

ScottsBad
01-15-16, 20:25
OK I'll speak for the next 49 guys, "Buy the 6920" Especially if it's your first. Then you can build a crap beater rifle on your next go around.

"Is it worth the extra $300?" The cost of ammo over the life of the weapon will far exceed the value of the weapon. Why buy crap to shoot expensive ammo. Hell, I go through a 1000 rounds in a two to three month period (I cut back) and I'm just a regular guy.

Chipper78
01-15-16, 20:26
You've been a member here since 2009 and you don't know the answer to this question yet? At the end of the day it's your money and you're going to do what you want so why don't you just by the PSA and then make a bunch of posts about how great it is and just as good as a Colt and that that other bull, since that how most of these threads end up anyway. I mean really, PSA vs Colt? C'mon man.

Jay H
01-15-16, 20:51
You've been a member here since 2009 and you don't know the answer to this question yet? At the end of the day it's your money and you're going to do what you want so why don't you just by the PSA and then make a bunch of posts about how great it is and just as good as a Colt and that that other bull, since that how most of these threads end up anyway. I mean really, PSA vs Colt? C'mon man.

OK, My conscience just got the best of Me. Please allow Me to formally apologize for daring to compare a PSA to a Colt. What was I thinking? It was a hard work week and I just had a big fight with the wife, not to mention the 10 beers I just consumed. I sure hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings? Thanks for bringing Me back to reality.

roboa89
01-15-16, 21:36
Lesson of the day? Don't drink and m4carbine! But yea, I think we were all thinking dafuq with that question. At least there's one thing with the psa, you won't cringe when you bang up your new rifle knowing it's just a "measly" psa.

5.56Geo
01-15-16, 21:36
I owned a PSA Premium 16" Mid-length A2 profile rifle. I sent it back several times for the same issue. It was never fixed to my satisfaction. I believe to this day that the chamber was out of specifications. it came back each time with a new BCG stating the issue had been fixed but much to my chagrin the issues continued. I finally came to the realization that I would never be able to trust that rifle in a high stress situation and sold it at a loss with full disclosure. I have replaced it with a BCM 16" Mid- length AR rifle and have not looked back.

I know that many have had great results with PSA but I am NOT willing to try again, ever! The bitterness of inferior quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Buy once cry once!

My thoughts. -5.56Geo

seb5
01-15-16, 22:00
I'm not a Colt fan, but they generally work. Back when PSA started I built 3 or 4 and never had a problem with them. My brother in law has the last one, a 14.7 middie and it's had around 5,000 rounds through it. It works well. I wouldn't prefer them to my BCM's but whether we like it or not we all have our prejudices with our brands, and we all know that many work well. PSA is probably GTG, but as you already know the odds are greater that the Colt will be running right out of the box. With that said I've come across several Colts that had issues from the factory too. Buy what you want.

Jay H
01-15-16, 22:11
[QUOTE=seb5;2249508]I'm not a Colt fan, but they generally work. Back when PSA started I built 3 or 4 and never had a problem with them. My brother in law has the last one, a 14.7 middie and it's had around 5,000 rounds through it. It works well. I wouldn't prefer them to my BCM's but whether we like it or not we all have our prejudices with our brands, and we all know that many work well. PSA is probably GTG, but as you already know the odds are greater that the Colt will be running right out of the box. With that said I've come across several Colts that had issues from the factory too. Buy what you want.

You have come across Colts with issues??? Wow, that takes some courage to admit that around here. You better duck, and fast! Seriously though, I am a fan of Colt AR's. I was merely wondering if people thought the PSA Premium was a good choice between the two given the $300 price difference?. Why is it that every time someone tries to compare brand "X" with Colt on this (And the other AR forum) the knifes come out? Lighten up!

zibby43
01-15-16, 22:39
Why is it that every time someone tries to compare brand "X" with Colt on this (And the other AR forum) the knifes come out? Lighten up!

Because the vast majority of members here have seen what Colts and other properly built carbines are capable of. They've also seen the shortcomings of budget/"corner-cutting" carbines.

And when people like you (not meaning for that to sound condescending) ask for advice, those members that have sent tens of thousands of rounds downrange (some of these members have done so on a two-way range), they are giving you their honest, informed, and sincere feedback. No sugar-coated, pat you on the back-type BS.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. The feedback you get here is valuable because the members have used the weapons (and I'm talking serious use) in question.

PS - You could have searched and found pages of information that would have helped you make an informed decision re: the two carbines in question.

My advice? The Colt LE6920. If you are planning to use the carbine in any sort of defensive capacity, isn't your life worth the extra $300?

RazorBurn
01-15-16, 22:52
Nice long thread about PSA. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172843-My-PSA-Journey

My 1st AR was/is a LE6920. My 2nd AR is a BCM carbine upper on a Noveske N4 lower, and my 3rd AR is a PSA Premium carbine upper on a USM4 lower. I've been very happy with the PSA Premium upper. It's had a few thousand rounds down it, and it has never missed a beat and is a very accurate upper. In the past three years and twenty plus orders I've had nothing but good experiences with PSA.

No, the PSA isn't going to be equal to the Colt LE6920, and down the road the resale on an LE6920 will be the same if not higher than what you paid for it. The PSA Premium line is a good alternative if you are absolutely held down by a budget, and have to get something now. I would still say save up for the LE6920 though for a first AR especially. At the end of the day you have to do what your budget will allow.

slowrx
01-15-16, 23:15
Ill bite. While I have no experience with a colt, I can comment on the PSA owning experience. I have owned 3 in the past. The first was a complete rifle bought from them, the second two were just uppers. All were the premium option. I don't have any complaints with them, each went bang with no issues the length of time I owned them. The first was bought probably 5 years ago, I sold it to a close friend and he still runs it with no issues at all. The other two uppers were either sold or traded but not because of problem, just because I wanted to make room for other things in the safe. While I haven't owned a colt I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either if I had a need for it...and really $300 is a drop in he bucket when you are talking gun prices.

Iraqgunz
01-16-16, 00:05
This thread serves no purpose it seems other than to generate more threads as already mentioned by another member.