PDA

View Full Version : Cross draw for a guy with a bum wing

sasquatchoslav
01-16-16, 07:23
I'm finally realizing and accepting after rehabbing my shoulder post rotator cuff surgery a second time that I simply do not have the mobility to get my pistol off my strong side hip. I've tried different angles it's one of those things this old fart might have to accept that my mobility on this side isn't going to be what it was in my younger days.

I have done some preliminary testing coming off my left hip and it's certainly a whole new world. My thoughts are possibly having to change frames to get something more compact no problem happy to do so. Since this is all so new to me I figured you guys would in short order put all the things I could never think of in a repository for me and I'd be hugely grateful for that. I'm re-trainable maybe there are some other things to consider as well.

Thank you in advance the knowledge sharing.

Averageman
01-16-16, 07:58
What pistol?
The reason I am asking is I recently bought a very high quality Shoulder Holster. I travel a lot and it made sense for me as I was spending half of my day driving somewhere and a shoulder holster made sense.
I can see how it might be an alternative that one might not usually consider.

PD Sgt.
01-16-16, 08:00
Have you considered or tried appendix (AIWB) carry?

sasquatchoslav
01-16-16, 08:06
Yea no go there still it's just hard to explain the limitations with all these screws in there sometimes it just won't go where I want it to.

And my go to carry for so many years has been a P226. I don't need an excuse to go buy a new gun though. Hadn't considered up high, but that woudln't work so well for me out of the car given my work attire. Tahnks though great idea I hadn't considered.

Averageman
01-16-16, 08:26
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
This guy built my shoulder holster I was posting about, he also does a variety of cross draws.
I cannot recommend him enough.

SeriousStudent
01-16-16, 12:00
If I may be so bold? Have you considered the humble fanny pack?

I know a lot of folks say they scream "GUN!" for an able-bodied individual. But when you have to carefully navigate through life whilst wearing one of those padded shoulder sling doodads, folks probably will not be surprised to see you keep your keys, wallet, cellphone, etc in such a carrier.

A couple of years ago, I broke my right hand, then a few months later broke the left hand. It was very handy to have all my gear in a convenient package to grab and go.

I have a pair of the old Eagle Industries fanny packs, one rigged for LH and one for RH. Other people says the ones from Tommy's are quite nice.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Original_Gun_Pack_p/1.htm

If you can find a Eagle or Camelbak fanny pack on fleabay, snap them up. The Camelbak Goblin fanny pack is very nice, along with their Demon concealed backpack. I have both, and like them a great deal.

sasquatchoslav
01-16-16, 12:34
Hey nothing is off the table suggest away! Although I have not tried it it might work. I would prefer to have it a bit more accessible like a cross draw *seems* it might be. I'm going to a shop today they have a couple of IWB cross draws I can try out. I think I'm probably going to go shoot a few of my friend's compact/sub compacts as well b/c I'm not too sure how my Sig size will be just trying everything. fthanks for the input all

Malamute
01-16-16, 13:28
I'm dealing with this right now. I cant draw from the right, or even get something from my right back pocket yet. I have been using one of the cheap plastic Glock factory holsters. I carry it left side/left handed, but if I were going to shoot, I think Id transfer it to the right hand if possible after drawing. I can get the arm up enough to shoot, but cant reach a cross draw or a strong side holster.

10mmfanboy
01-17-16, 21:26
I would suggest appendix as well. I have torn rotator cuffs in both arms but I never got any surgeries for it. It's not ideal for me but I got used to it pretty quick. I actually prefer it now other than when I'm chainsawing and things like that. You might be able to set it up more of a cross draw at like 11 o'clock. I started out thinking the hybrid style appendix holsters would be more comfortable but I switched to all kydex. Maybe you could check out a clipdraw or something like that and get creative with it too.

Dienekes
01-17-16, 22:46
Have done rotator cuff surgeries right and left, fortunately only once each side. I can sure see where a second go-around on the "strong" (?) side would not work so well anymore. I still work from the leather but forget "fast". Best I can hope for is smooth and consistent, which ain't bad. Still carrying strong side, but what used to work 20 years ago doesn't work so well anymore. I've never been a fan of shoulder rigs, but I can see where a cross draw/appendix rig would be workable, plus a lot less stress on the bum arm. I can also force a day when racking the slide on some semi autos could become problematical. I guess they're just putting in stronger recoil springs every year. It's a conspiracy.

Stengun
01-17-16, 23:58
Howdy,

Have you tried using the other hand/arm?

Back in '04 I had a/c joint surgery on my right shoulder and I switch to my left side until my shoulder got better. I can shoot left handed so it wasn't any big deal.

Paul

Freethought
02-02-16, 19:03
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
This guy built my shoulder holster I was posting about, he also does a variety of cross draws.
I cannot recommend him enough.

I'll second the above , I have a number of Sam's holsters , including both Carjacker Crossdraw and the McDaniels II Crossdraw for several different sidearms ranging from 1911s and Sigs ( 220s and 229) to several different Smith and Ruger snub revolvers. He's a throwback to the old days of quality leather makers who actually listened to the customer , and he'll pretty much make it how the customer wants.....though he will be quite upfront with you if he thinks something just won't work.

Oh and by the way , Andrews MacDaniels rigs ( and the II) work *really* well for appendix carry.

I also have two of his horizontal shoulder rigs and one of the verticals , well worth the financial outlay and they'll likely outlast the user.

About the only I use nowadays that's *not* from Sam are a couple old Milt Sparks rigs that I bought when Milt was still alive ( one an original Yaqui Slide that I bought based on what Cooper once told me) and a Bruce Nelson rig that I had made just a bit before his untimely death.

At any rate , I digress. Sam Andrews is to be highly recommended , pro quality leather that's usable and confortable on an everyday use basis.

daddyusmaximus
02-03-16, 00:09
If I may be so bold? Have you considered the humble fanny pack?

I know a lot of folks say they scream "GUN!" for an able-bodied individual. But when you have to carefully navigate through life whilst wearing one of those padded shoulder sling doodads, folks probably will not be surprised to see you keep your keys, wallet, cellphone, etc in such a carrier.

A couple of years ago, I broke my right hand, then a few months later broke the left hand. It was very handy to have all my gear in a convenient package to grab and go.

I have a pair of the old Eagle Industries fanny packs, one rigged for LH and one for RH. Other people says the ones from Tommy's are quite nice.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Original_Gun_Pack_p/1.htm

If you can find a Eagle or Camelbak fanny pack on fleabay, snap them up. The Camelbak Goblin fanny pack is very nice, along with their Demon concealed backpack. I have both, and like them a great deal.

I have a Tommygun, and it works quite well. I normally only use it when I'm doing the gym short and flip flop thing in the summer, but it does work, even with a full size 1911.

titsonritz
02-03-16, 00:59
Get an opposite hand holster and start training with it.

Tzook
02-03-16, 01:45
Big +1 for AIWB. I made the switch about a year ago and I haven't looked back.

Freethought
02-03-16, 09:29
Big +1 for AIWB. I made the switch about a year ago and I haven't looked back.

Yeah , but don't admit it or say much about it in certain places , you'll be subjected to vociferous rhetoric from the " it's unsafe and you'll shoot your pecker off." crowd. And of course they'll run the same verbal hogwash as regards frontside crossdraw.

Interesting that I've utilised those two carry methods for thirty years and the aforementioned bits of anatomy are still with me , but then it seems that a great many of those doing the yapping have forgotten the very basic rule of " keep your booger hook off the bang switch until such time as you have acquired and verified target and it's necessary to fire."....

Kraken
02-07-16, 16:34
I use a Galco Hornet cross draw for my G 27. I couple that with a single mag pouch for a 15 round reload. Usually I carry strong side, but if I know I am going to be doing a significant amount of driving I prefer the cross draw. Cross draw may be the best option given your situation. There are some high-quality/concealable options out there. Fear not.