PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 issues

rjacobs
01-16-16, 16:35
Bought this gun about 3 years ago(just a guess). Put 35 rounds through it(25 target, 5 slugs, 5 00buck) to test it and break it in. Its been in the closet as a home defense shotgun ever since.

Fastforward to today and I went out to use it to try out 3 gun(before I spend money on anything else, need to know if I like it). Overall the gun was great, hit what I aimed at, etc... Shot about 75 rounds or so.

I ran into 4 issues. I am NOT a shotgun guy so diagnosing these issues is beyond me. To me they all seem like easy to fix things once the fix is identified.

1. The safety kept engaging itself, ever so slightly, like 1/4", but the trigger was locked at that point. Couldnt figure it out at first then I saw what was going on. Would a Vang Comp safety fix this? My gut says no because its something(spring) in the detent of the safety not being strong enough and it doesnt look like the Vang Comp safety includes anything but the safety itself, no internal parts.

2. Magazine tube cap kept unscrewing itself. The detent is there and I can feel it clicking when I tighten it, but it doesnt stay tight. Ive never seen another shotgun do this, they generally stay tight. Are aftermarket ones such as the Vang Comp +1 have a stronger detent to keep it from unscrewing?

3. Stock came a bit loose. Im sure I just need to remove the screw, put some loctite on it and crank it back down.

4. At one point when I was running the action, the action stuck to the rear and we couldnt get it un-stuck without a ton of force. Luckily they let me reshoot the stage, but that doesnt happen in real life. It never did it again all day. It was almost as if I ran it to hard and the action bars got stuck on something. Couldnt really see anything wrong with it.

My confidence in this gun is basically gone and its going to go into the safe until I can address the above(the magazine tube cap and safety being the two biggest issues as the action locking open didnt happen again).

Anybody got any suggestions on what to look at to fix the above?

Linebacker
01-16-16, 17:07
That gun needs the attention of a Mossberg qualified armorer. Actually, every 590 or 870 does, out of the box IMO. No need to sell, as the firearm is extremely easy to work on...

rjacobs
01-16-16, 17:23
That gun needs the attention of a Mossberg qualified armorer. Actually, every 590 or 870 does, out of the box IMO. No need to sell, as the firearm is extremely easy to work on...

I dont want to sell it, I want to get it running.

It appears that the issue with the safety is fairly common. Some say just a switch to the Vang Comp solved it. Other say its possible the bolt is hitting the safety internally when you run the gun and something on the safety needs to be modified with a dremel. Not sure I am ok with the second part.

Any chance you know how to find an armorer? I tried a google search, but its not returning anything except dealers and how to take their classes to become an armorer.

26 Inf
01-16-16, 17:28
Bought this gun about 3 years ago(just a guess). Put 35 rounds through it(25 target, 5 slugs, 5 00buck) to test it and break it in. Its been in the closet as a home defense shotgun ever since.

Fastforward to today and I went out to use it to try out 3 gun(before I spend money on anything else, need to know if I like it). Overall the gun was great, hit what I aimed at, etc... Shot about 75 rounds or so.

I ran into 4 issues. I am NOT a shotgun guy so diagnosing these issues is beyond me. To me they all seem like easy to fix things once the fix is identified.

1. The safety kept engaging itself, ever so slightly, like 1/4", but the trigger was locked at that point. Couldnt figure it out at first then I saw what was going on. Would a Vang Comp safety fix this? My gut says no because its something(spring) in the detent of the safety not being strong enough and it doesnt look like the Vang Comp safety includes anything but the safety itself, no internal parts.

2. Magazine tube cap kept unscrewing itself. The detent is there and I can feel it clicking when I tighten it, but it doesnt stay tight. Ive never seen another shotgun do this, they generally stay tight. Are aftermarket ones such as the Vang Comp +1 have a stronger detent to keep it from unscrewing?

3. Stock came a bit loose. Im sure I just need to remove the screw, put some loctite on it and crank it back down.

4. At one point when I was running the action, the action stuck to the rear and we couldnt get it un-stuck without a ton of force. Luckily they let me reshoot the stage, but that doesnt happen in real life. It never did it again all day. It was almost as if I ran it to hard and the action bars got stuck on something. Couldnt really see anything wrong with it.

My confidence in this gun is basically gone and its going to go into the safe until I can address the above(the magazine tube cap and safety being the two biggest issues as the action locking open didnt happen again).

Anybody got any suggestions on what to look at to fix the above?

The Mossberg safety should have a metal or plastic safety slide/button, a metal safety detent plate, a safety spring, a detent ball and a safety button screw. If the screw works loose it will allow the shotgun safety to move forward and engage under recoil. Loose enough and you lose the detent ball. The screw on most of these is a one way screw - you can tighten it but cant easily loosen it. So when you get it loose go to the hardware store and buy a proper length 6-32 button head socket cap screw. If the dang detent ball is missing make sure you take the safety detent plate and get a proper-sized ball bearing at the hardware store while you are there - I'd get a couple. (I know it won't be an official gun ball bearing, but it will work) When you reassemble you might want to use some blue loctite.

Regarding the magazine tube end cap working loose, first check to make sure your magazine tube isn't loose and unscrewing from the receiver. If it is working loose, loctite it and a use strap wrench to tighten. I'd just as soon bet that the barrel wasn't seated properly - with the shotgun unloaded, hold the shotgun vertical with the muzzle up about a foot or so off the floor, jar the recoil pad against the floor and then tighten the mag tube end cap - often that takes care of the problem. You also do that before disassembly to make it easier to unscrew the end cap.

If you had pictures of the detent ball on the barrel we might be able to tell if it is seated too far, in that case a wave washer would probably work.

I hate to see you with a shotgun you don't trust so I'll give you and 150.00 for it. :rolleyes:

Hop this helps.

26 Inf
01-16-16, 17:33
I dont want to sell it, I want to get it running.

It appears that the issue with the safety is fairly common. Some say just a switch to the Vang Comp solved it. Other say its possible the bolt is hitting the safety internally when you run the gun and something on the safety needs to be modified with a dremel. Not sure I am ok with the second part.

Any chance you know how to find an armorer? I tried a google search, but its not returning anything except dealers and how to take their classes to become an armorer.

I are a Mossberg LE armorer, try what I said, most likely that will fix everything.

rjacobs
01-16-16, 18:16
The Mossberg safety should have a metal or plastic safety slide/button, a metal safety detent plate, a safety spring, a detent ball and a safety button screw. If the screw works loose it will allow the shotgun safety to move forward and engage under recoil. Loose enough and you lose the detent ball. The screw on most of these is a one way screw - you can tighten it but cant easily loosen it. So when you get it loose go to the hardware store and buy a proper length 6-32 button head socket cap screw. If the dang detent ball is missing make sure you take the safety detent plate and get a proper-sized ball bearing at the hardware store while you are there - I'd get a couple. (I know it won't be an official gun ball bearing, but it will work) When you reassemble you might want to use some blue loctite.

Regarding the magazine tube end cap working loose, first check to make sure your magazine tube isn't loose and unscrewing from the receiver. If it is working loose, loctite it and a use strap wrench to tighten. I'd just as soon bet that the barrel wasn't seated properly - with the shotgun unloaded, hold the shotgun vertical with the muzzle up about a foot or so off the floor, jar the recoil pad against the floor and then tighten the mag tube end cap - often that takes care of the problem. You also do that before disassembly to make it easier to unscrew the end cap.

If you had pictures of the detent ball on the barrel we might be able to tell if it is seated too far, in that case a wave washer would probably work.

I hate to see you with a shotgun you don't trust so I'll give you and 150.00 for it. :rolleyes:

Hop this helps.

I are a Mossberg LE armorer, try what I said, most likely that will fix everything.

I will try all of the above and load a picture of the magazine tube cap.

DekNgo
01-16-16, 18:30
The Mossberg safety should have a metal or plastic safety slide/button, a metal safety detent plate, a safety spring, a detent ball and a safety button screw. If the screw works loose it will allow the shotgun safety to move forward and engage under recoil. Loose enough and you lose the detent ball. The screw on most of these is a one way screw - you can tighten it but cant easily loosen it. So when you get it loose go to the hardware store and buy a proper length 6-32 button head socket cap screw.

You wouldn't happen to know the proper length for the 6-32 screw would you? I bought the Brownells safety kit for my 590A1 and it came with another one-way screw that I'd like to replace.

Thanks.

26 Inf
01-16-16, 19:02
You wouldn't happen to know the proper length for the 6-32 screw would you? I bought the Brownells safety kit for my 590A1 and it came with another one-way screw that I'd like to replace.

Thanks.

Not off the top of my head - books are at work. Should be able to compare at any hardware store.

DekNgo
01-16-16, 19:10
Not off the top of my head - books are at work. Should be able to compare at any hardware store.

OK, thanks. I'm overseas for a few more weeks, so I was hoping I could just order a couple and have them waiting for me. No big deal, though.

rjacobs
01-16-16, 19:28
OK, I checked out what you asked for and took a few pictures.

Magazine tube detent appears to sit nice and proud.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/0116161912.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rjacobs1/media/0116161912.jpg.html)

Magazine tube was maybe 1/16 turn from being tight. So I should disassemble the whole gun, take the mag tube completely out, clean the threads on both sides, throw a little locktite(blue or red?) and torque it back down?

I banged the butt stock on the ground to make sure the barrel was seated. It didnt appear to move at all when I did this, but what the hell right.

I tightened up the safety screw maybe 1/8 and the safety has a nice snick snick to it again. I will replace the screw at the least if not get a Vang Comp safety.

On my stock coming loose. Took the butt pad off and looked down inside. Looks like the plastic that the washer sits on has gotten chewed up a bit and the washer was able to slide down into the channel. I will have to source a larger washer. Seems like a shitty design though. Its a 13" Hogue. Might look into something else like a Magpul as I like the 13" LOP.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/0116161919.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rjacobs1/media/0116161919.jpg.html)

rjacobs
01-16-16, 19:28
OK, I checked out what you asked for and took a few pictures.

Magazine tube detent appears to sit nice and proud.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/0116161912.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rjacobs1/media/0116161912.jpg.html)

Magazine tube was maybe 1/16 turn from being tight. So I should disassemble the whole gun, take the mag tube completely out, clean the threads on both sides, throw a little locktite(blue or red?) and torque it back down?

I banged the butt stock on the ground to make sure the barrel was seated. It didnt appear to move at all when I did this, but what the hell right.

I tightened up the safety screw maybe 1/8 and the safety has a nice snick snick to it again. I will replace the screw at the least if not get a Vang Comp safety.

On my stock coming loose. Took the butt pad off and looked down inside. Looks like the plastic that the washer sits on has gotten chewed up a bit and the washer was able to slide down into the channel. I will have to source a larger washer. Seems like a shitty design though. Its a 13" Hogue. Might look into something else like a Magpul as I like the 13" LOP.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/0116161919.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rjacobs1/media/0116161919.jpg.html)

26 Inf
01-16-16, 22:38
It looks to me as if you are about to lose the detent on your barrel, it should be staked so just the 'ball' is showing. Although if it was in place before the cap wasn't loosening because of that. You say the magazine tube was about 1/16 turn from being tight - could you move it by hand? Any sign of threadlocker?

I'd start with blue first - it is medium strength and easier to remove than red.

Make sure the parts are clean - acetone works good - I'd assemble it w/o threadlocker and make sure it feeds okay, then apply the threadlocker. Make sure you get it tight and let it cure before use.

I'd just get a bigger washer for the stock. Did you use the one Hogue included?

Good luck.

rjacobs
01-17-16, 09:01
You say the magazine tube was about 1/16 turn from being tight - could you move it by hand? Any sign of threadlocker?

I'd just get a bigger washer for the stock. Did you use the one Hogue included?

Good luck.

yes, I could move it back and forth by hand, but only about 1/16 of a turn, enough that I could tell. I will pull it apart and use some blue loc-tite on it.

Im going to scout for a larger washer at Homodepot today. I tried one I had in my tool box last night, but it was to big. And yes, the included washer from hogue. Its washer and a lock washer. The bolt is actually bent though very slightly which I noticed when messing with it. I might just scrap the whole Hogue stock and go to the Magpul. I dont think I have the factory stock anymore.

Im going to run by the local police distributor and see if they know any local Mossberg armorer's(or maybe they are one). Seems this gun has some issues that might take more than my asking questions on the internet to straighten out.

DekNgo
01-17-16, 17:22
yes, I could move it back and forth by hand, but only about 1/16 of a turn, enough that I could tell. I will pull it apart and use some blue loc-tite on it.

Im going to scout for a larger washer at Homodepot today. I tried one I had in my tool box last night, but it was to big. And yes, the included washer from hogue. Its washer and a lock washer. The bolt is actually bent though very slightly which I noticed when messing with it. I might just scrap the whole Hogue stock and go to the Magpul. I dont think I have the factory stock anymore.

Im going to run by the local police distributor and see if they know any local Mossberg armorer's(or maybe they are one). Seems this gun has some issues that might take more than my asking questions on the internet to straighten out.

Man, that sucks. Good luck on finding an armorer. Hopefully, this doesn't get drug out any longer than it already has for you.

26 Inf
01-17-16, 18:21

I don't think there is anything you can't do. The stock bolt is a 5/16 x 5 1/2 18TPI 5 ½”long 5/16” – 18 TPI.

If you want to stake the detent yourself, put the barrel in a vice - pad the barrel with some cloth - lay the barrel band on the the jaw. Have a friend hold the detent down with a small flat bladed screwdriver and gently tap another flat bladed screwdriver with a plastic mallet or piece of wood to move just enough metal to disrupt the edge of the hole - doesn't have to be much.

williejc
02-03-16, 22:55
When I replaced a 590a1 stock with a 13 inch Hogue, I remember that H's instructions had a blurb about using their washer and not the original.

ADDENDUM.

Just now I puled up Hogue's instructions for installing their shotgun stocks. They said that some shotguns require that a different(not original)stock bolt be used.
And, if one is included with your new stock, you must use this bolt, and you must use additional washers if needed.

My old memory is fuzzy so a one time "job" done 5 years ago is fuzzy.