PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags - 2016

Irish
01-16-16, 17:28
I just bought the Marmot Limelight 3P tent on sale for $160. Now I'm looking for sleeping bag recommendations based on a balance of quality, weight, price, etc. I'm basically looking for the Glock 19 of the sleeping bag world.

I'm guessing a +20 to +30 bag would suffice for my needs. Mostly 3 season, maybe 4 later, backpacking and camping in the NE with my little guys, so nothing too extreme. I'm 6' 3" so I think I'll need a "tall" and I'd like to keep the price under $200, and closer to $100 if possible. I'll be needing to buy the little guys bags as well.

I've read some good stuff on Wiggy's, their ultra light +20 is on sale for $135, any experience with those? North Face, REI brand, Mountain Hardwear?

FYI - I picked up the tent on www.steepandcheap.com which has some great deals!

Outlander Systems
01-16-16, 17:54
I've had good experiences with the Snugpak bags for backpacking duty.

No complaints.

http://www.zonatactica.es/147-thickbox_default/sacos-dormir-militares-policiales-snugpak-softie-elite-3.jpg

themonk
01-16-16, 18:45
North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.

Irish
01-16-16, 18:53
North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.
I'm in Central NY, so getting wet will probably be an issue, even just heavy dew in the morning. I'm thinking synthetic is the way to fly.

I'll check out the NF and Snugpak.

One thing I find appealing about the Wiggy's is it's made in America and their guarantee looks to be outstanding.

Our Guarantee is for a lifetime of use. If a seam opens, the zipper breaks or the Lamilite insulation deteriorates (such as losing its loft or separating, clumping in one place or another), Wiggy’s will repair or replace your bag at no charge to you.

themonk
01-16-16, 19:02
Most any outdoor gear company will have a lifetime guarantee. If you are ever in goodwill and see a beat up north face jacket, pick it up and send it back and they will send you a brand new one. I think i was on my third or fourth mountain light jacket before I sold the brand new on to my brother. And if there is a 3rd party involved like GORE-TEX or Polartec you can send it back to them and they will let you pick whatever you want from any company as long as it's made from their material. So if you have a $250 TNF mountain light jacket that is wetting out, send it back to GORE-TEX and they will ask you what you want to replace it with. Feel free to say "how about an Arc'teryx Theta AR" and they will say "we will get one in the mail from Arc'teryx in the next couple of weeks".

All the big boys have amazing warranties like North Face, Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, etc. = no questions asked.

Irish
01-16-16, 19:11
I had no idea that they were all that responsive. Thanks!

I ripped my Atom LT (LEAF version) sleeve just the other day, damnit! I'll drop them a line and see if they'll do a repair on it. It's been a phenomenal jacket!

HKGuns
01-16-16, 19:12
I have the same tent and use a Marmot Arete 40 F / 4C for warmer weather. It is super light and packs up extremely small.

My priority was low weight and small size, I hate the constriction of mummy bags, but for low weight they are pretty much my only option.

Great tent btw.

Wake27
01-16-16, 19:20
The Snugpak Jungle Bag is the only sleeping bag I have but it's loaded with features and is a great bag, so I'd assume all of their bags are. All my other camping stuff is from Nemo and I have been extremely pleased with all of it. I haven't used a bag specific to what you're looking for but figured I'd recommend those brands based on my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themonk
01-16-16, 19:21
I had no idea that they were all that responsive. Thanks!

I ripped my Atom LT (LEAF version) sleeve just the other day, damnit! I'll drop them a line and see if they'll do a repair on it. It's been a phenomenal jacket!

Yea if it was a failure of their stiching or fabric they will replace it - http://www.arcteryx.com/Service-Forms.aspx?EN&subject=WAFORM

I would do your best to write it up as a failure of the product and not user error.

Only time I have seen them baulk was a buddy was cutting climbing rope for some hottie and he had on a Arc'teryx Beta jacket, anyways he was a little distracted and the hot knife melted the crap out of his Beta. He was so bummed. He sent it back and they said they would fix it but would not replace it.

Irish
01-16-16, 19:27
I'm guessing the lowest temp I'd be dealing with is right around 30 degrees, starting in April. The rest of the year, until November, will be in the 40's to 50's for the low. I'm not sure what's appropriate for that temp swing and I know that some ratings are "hopeful."

Thanks for the input so far. I'm hoping this may help with suggestions.

themonk
01-16-16, 19:31
Good article on what to think about before you buy - http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Backpacking-Sleeping-Bag/Buying-Advice

Irish
01-17-16, 05:32
Thanks!

wigbones
01-17-16, 09:39
I've been using the same slumberjack 20° sleeping bag for about 20 years. I've used it everywhere from summer to winter camping in snow caves. Never had any issues with it and it still looks like new. I'm sure there are many other great brands, but I've never had to go searching for anything else.

Irish
01-17-16, 09:44
The Slumberjack's look to be priced more reasonably than some of the other major brands. Not sure if that price difference comes at the cost of warmth, weight or a non-issue.

wigbones
01-17-16, 10:09
I can't speak for any of the newer slumberjack bags, but mine has never left me cold and it compacts very small and light. Mine being as old as it is doesn't even have a draft collar around the shoulder area, so I would suppose that if a newer model had the draft collar it would be slightly warmer but perhaps slightly bulkier.

dmd08
01-17-16, 10:12
I have REI, Kelty and Marmot down bags. I slightly prefer the REI and Marmot over the Keltys but they are all decent. I think the "Dri down" technology greatly reduces the advantage of synthetics when dealing with moisture. I used a synthetic bag for many years starting as a scout. I and my scouting son have the Dri down bags now and I don't plan on going back. My son has used his 19 degree kelty with a fleece liner on winter camps and I've never had a complaint about being cold.

SIGguy229
01-17-16, 11:36
I have Snugpak bags...jungle bag to cold winter bags. They are great! I highly recommend a Gore-Tex bivy sack when camping in cold/wet months...adds cold and wet protection. I have a GI bivy sack from a 4X bag...adds a little weight, but worth it!

Outlander Systems
01-17-16, 14:15
That's how I'm rolling as well.

Jungle bag for 2/3's of the year, and a Softie Elite 3 for winter.

I have zero complaints.

I have Snugpak bags...jungle bag to cold winter bags. They are great! I highly recommend a Gore-Tex bivy sack when camping in cold/wet months...adds cold and wet protection. I have a GI bivy sack from a 4X bag...adds a little weight, but worth it!

PLA
01-21-16, 05:33
I have a pile of bags including a few mentioned here

Wiggy's are THE bag to have over all the rest. I have the FTRSS system ( 2 bags) and all the rest of my bags are hanging in a closet. I'm totally happy with Wiggy's

themonk
01-21-16, 05:45

Wiggy's are THE bag to have over all the rest. I have the FTRSS system ( 2 bags) and all the rest of my bags are hanging in a closet. I'm totally happy with Wiggy's

Great bags but they are heavy!

PLA
01-21-16, 06:01
They are middle of the road for the ratings as far as weight

I like them because I can crush them in a dry bag and they never loose loft

And they are honest about quality and temp ratings. Ive gone far below rated temp with a poncho liner inside the bag

themonk
01-21-16, 06:03
yea, not an issue with any good bag

Irish
01-21-16, 18:29
I have the same tent... Great tent btw.

Still pondering which bag to get. But, I received the tent today and set it up in the living room for the boys to play in. At first glance it appears to be very well built, really easy to set up and I think it's going to work great for our needs over the next couple of years.

Marmot states 5 lbs 15oz for the weight but my scale shows 7 lbs 7oz for anyone interested in that particular tent.

Endur
02-27-16, 03:54
You know I have been searching around for bags here lately and just now came upon this thread. Anyone else have experience with Wiggy's? I have been reading excellent things, but then I have also come across the usual elitists badgering on about they are too heavy and yada yada.

I like the fact that they are made in the U.S.A. They come in subdued colors (I hate neon garbage). I have read they last damn near forever, can continuously be washed without losing loft, and can be compressed for long periods without losing loft.

My plan is a system similar to what I had in the military. Wiggy's seems to fill that role perfectly and lighter weight as well. I was looking around for bivy's and found that bivy's you want Gore-Tex or eVent material. I decided on a Rab Ascent Diamond Bivi.

Wiggy's coyote brown super-light mummy bag: 4lbs, 0°
Wiggy's coyote brown overbag mummy bag: 2.5lbs, +35°
Rab OD ascent diamond bivi: 1.37lbs
Medium & x-large Tactical Tailor stuff sacks: .66lbs
Total: 8.53lbs

Intermediate bag: 4.38lbs -10°
Patrol bag: 2.31lbs +30°
Bivi: 2.2lbs
Stuff sack: .875lbs
Total: 9.765lbs

A little more than a pound of weight savings with around the same temperature ratings.

*my mind is subject to change

themonk
02-27-16, 08:07
It depend what you want to do with them.They are awesome bags. They are just way to heavy for what I do with my bags.

There are 4 very easy places to loose weight with camping gear - pack, tent, bag, cooking. I have very easily kicked 10 lbs down the road never to be seen again. 10lb is lot on your back all day. So much lighter and so much faster.

soulezoo
02-29-16, 14:40
I'll echo what was said earlier about the dri-down. It really does eliminate the one big advantage that synthetic had over down. Now it is only cost.

I have (out of your budget and temp needs) a big Agnes storm king (0 deg rated) that has the "down-tec" (the BA version of dri-down) and I won't use synthetic again. That is a sub 4 lb bag that is a true 0* (most bags are over rated for the comfort temp). I usually am good just in boxers well below freezing in this bag.

My point is not for my bag for you (again, too expensive and too much insulation) but rather to inform about the improvements of down vs syn.

J-Dub
03-03-16, 22:30
Big Agnes, Marmot, Mountain Hardware.

Down, and 15 degree. I'd take a down bag any day of the week over synthetic if its intended for backpacking. Use a waterproof stuff sack, and be smart about condensation (ie keep your bag away from tent walls, dry it out during the day.

anatolian B
03-03-16, 23:24
You know I have been searching around for bags here lately and just now came upon this thread. Anyone else have experience with Wiggy's? I have been reading excellent things, but then I have also come across the usual elitists badgering on about they are too heavy and yada yada.

I like the fact that they are made in the U.S.A. They come in subdued colors (I hate neon garbage). I have read they last damn near forever, can continuously be washed without losing loft, and can be compressed for long periods without losing loft.

My plan is a system similar to what I had in the military. Wiggy's seems to fill that role perfectly and lighter weight as well. I was looking around for bivy's and found that bivy's you want Gore-Tex or eVent material. I decided on a Rab Ascent Diamond Bivi.

Wiggy's coyote brown super-light mummy bag: 4lbs, 0°
Wiggy's coyote brown overbag mummy bag: 2.5lbs, +35°
Rab OD ascent diamond bivi: 1.37lbs
Medium & x-large Tactical Tailor stuff sacks: .66lbs
Total: 8.53lbs

Intermediate bag: 4.38lbs -10°
Patrol bag: 2.31lbs +30°
Bivi: 2.2lbs
Stuff sack: .875lbs
Total: 9.765lbs

A little more than a pound of weight savings with around the same temperature ratings.

*my mind is subject to change

They are great bags. I've been buying them since 1995 for personal and commercial use. I've owned all of the bags discussed and Wiggys can hang with and exceed them all.

Until you go BIG (Feathered Friends quality) Wiggys is the best value on the market. US sourced and made too....

You can wash them over and over and mate them for couples (commercial use experience). Can't say enough about durability.

Irish
03-19-16, 05:47
REI is having their 20% off members sale right now. Good time to pick up pricey gear.

just a scout
03-19-16, 10:12
The Kifaru bags are expensive, but warm, pack small and are pretty durable. I have a 20' wide long with the stuff sack. Fits perfectly into my Zulu. Warm, and I'm a cold sleeper. If it's too cold, I use a woobie as a blanket inside the bag. Haven't used it with a bivy yet, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatidua
03-19-16, 12:35
Temperature ratings tend to be overly optimistic - even on the top brands (Western Mountaineering/Feathered Friends/Etc). Buy warmer than you need, you can always unzip it a ways.

Welded seams, while not as common, tend to hold up better than stitched seams. Welded used to be rare but it's becoming more common.

Endur
03-21-16, 23:48
I picked up the Wiggy's and so far I am happy. I hope to take them out camping sometime soon and see how they do.

JaegerOne
03-22-16, 00:56
Excellent choice.

BoxySatch
03-22-16, 20:20

I have these Wiggys bags as well and they are great . Got a set for me and my wife that can zip together in case of colder outings or admin puposes.

Irish
03-27-16, 07:59
After reading numerous reviews and the info in this thread I went with the Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame (https://www.rei.com/product/880097/mountain-hardwear-lamina-z-flame-sleeping-bag).

themonk
03-27-16, 11:39
After reading numerous reviews and the info in this thread I went with the Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame (https://www.rei.com/product/880097/mountain-hardwear-lamina-z-flame-sleeping-bag).

Great bag.

Jim D
04-04-16, 22:50
I've got maybe 6 sleeping bags (used to work in the outdoor industry) and I'm not really a Wiggy's fan. They are built like tanks, so you can really abuse them, but their warmth to weight and packed size ratio isn't really all that great, in my experience. Their insulation is so bulky that you can get it really wet and it still lofts up.

As you go up in price you'll just go down in weight and compressed size. The less expensive polyester lofts are just heavier and bulkier than the high end ones or down, so that's what you usually give up when you go towards the low end of the price spectrum.

I like down a lot for true winter camping (when it's consistently below freezing), or super hot summer camping (consequences of a wet bag are reduced) but any down bag is going to get wet/damp with sweat, condensation, or precip (sloppy skills). Synthetics are like the chrome lined barrels of sleeping bags... you don't have to be paranoid about how you pack it or handle it and you'll be fine. They are my personal preference for 30-60 degree nights. Having to stop and air out your down bag in the sun isn't always an option, or compatible with some folks uses. I can make them work, but unless I'm looking to really count ounces, I'd pay the weight penalty here.

I also hate bivys unless its below freezing for many of the same reasons. In the winter time they can help boost the temp rating of a bag, and I tend to like tarp shelters in the winter (frozen precip is less of a concern contacting your stuff, and bugs aren't an issue) so I'll consider running a bivy with a tarp thrown overhead to cut weight. It also lets me adjust the temp of my bag by removing the bivy layer if my bag is too warm inside of it.

The shelter setup you use might impact your bag selection as well. For example, you probably don't want to pair a tarp shelter with a down sleeping bag in temps above freezing, or wet climates.

I have 2 or 3 house branded sleeping bags from EMS that are pushing 10 years old now, and they've been great. Lots of companies seem to have decent bags that are a step above "car camping" grade bags you find at Walmart for $40. You just really need to figure out what features you need (cut, length, material, zippers), the temp rating, and where you want to be for price vs weight/size.

Horned Toad
05-01-16, 21:56

Stuff to consider down the road if you are going to lean toward the hiking side.
As I got back into hiking, my gear switched around a lot the 1st two years. I bought high end stuff so I didn't really loose out as I swapped stuff around. No matter how good of shape you are in, carrying the least weight makes things the most enjoyable. Unfortunately light weight is tied to high prices. If I was back east I would have a Kifaru 20 degree bag, the long is 2.9 pounds. If you can get your big 3 ( tent, sleeping bag, ruck) to come in at around 2 pounds each, you are on the road to a respectably light weight ruck. I run a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag out here, it was expensive. It is also one of the only thing I have bought in the last 20 years that has 100% met my expectations.

jbjh
05-01-16, 23:22
I run a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag out here, it was expensive. It is also one of the only thing I have bought in the last 20 years that has 100% met my expectations.

Gear whores will recognize this as a great endorsement.

Irish
05-02-16, 18:38
Stuff to consider down the road if you are going to lean toward the hiking side...

Thanks for the insight.

Horned Toad
05-02-16, 20:25
Gear whores will recognize this as a great endorsement.

just my opinion :)
I was looking at FF and Western Mountaineering, at the time FF had more option on colors than WM, so I went with them. I only use that bag for my through hikes when the weight is an issue and I giggle like a little school girl when I get it out of the closet. The quality is that good. If I ever upgrade I would take a hard look at a down quilt and a good sleeping pad

helluva
05-12-16, 20:06
I use a pair of SOL escape bivvies, with velcro seams. the inside one also has a drawstring hood and another drawstring at the neck. I also carry a pair of 3 ft wide tyvek bags, with velcro seams, which I can slip over the hammock, from either end. With the right clothing, that's good down to +20F and I sleep "cold". If it's colder than that, hostile action will nearly have ceased, so it will be safe enough to use Mors Korchanski's "super shelter' plastic sheet faced lean-to (the lean to being formed by opening the inside bivvy down one side. The other bivvy serves as a reflective "facing" for a stick "wall", set up on the far side of the wall, to reflect more of its heat towards me. The clear "wettable" plastic sheeting , clamped to the tyvek bags (opened flat and Velcroed together into a tarp) lets-in radiant heat, but then it is trapped in the shelter with me. If staying in that area, dig under the fire, as much as possible, to create, over time, a shallow dakota pit, so as to minimize the wood needed and also to minimize light seen at night.

my "hammock" is 64 ft of monofilament gill net, 2.5" mesh, 5 ft wide, folded back on itself 3x and tied. That thing can feed you, if you know how to use it properly.

Wake27
03-05-17, 12:02
After reading this thread and looking around some, I bought a Nemo Nocturne 30 Long sleeping bag. I have several Nemo products since they have a great discount on Promotive and they have all been fantastic, so I decided to give one of their bags a shot. I wanted something less bulky than the issued sleep system for the JRTC rotation I had last month. I used it quite a bit and it is definitely the most comfortable sleeping bag I have ever used. Some of the extra features like the pillow pocket and blanket fold were really nice but I was surprised at how cold I still got when using it. The temperatures for the month averaged to 47 with a low of 35. I know temperature ratings are usually optimistic but it only took one night in just the bag before I grabbed my OP Tactical woobie (which is awesome) and tucked it in the bag with me. That ended up being a winning combo and was great for almost every cold night there was. The one exception was when the condensation was ridiculous. We all woke up thinking that it had poured because of how soaked everything was. I felt like I was swimming inside the bag. I was cold but not overly so, I think the downtek helped me there. But it was still miserable enough that I'm now looking for a bivy bag to use with it next time we're in an area that doesn't really allow the use of a poncho hooch. I don't know how much it would have helped since all that moisture was from condensation, but I'll need one when it rains anyways. I'm leaning towards the Wiggy's one, mostly because of the positive comments here and the fact that I can get it in Multicam. Any opinions on that piece?

bushcraftdave
08-05-17, 03:35
I just got a snugpak elite 1. It's good for moderate temps here in CA where I'm at it also expands which I really like

JasonB1
08-09-17, 09:42
Check the width on lighter bags. Wiggys are often cut roomier. While you aren't going to be as efficient if you are heating up a lot of empty bag, you are going to conduct cold if you are mashing the insulation down on the top or sides. Same reason why some bags have less or no bottom insulation and why some people have switched over to lightweight insulated quilts.