PDA

View Full Version : Washing carrier and pouches?

BigLarge
01-17-16, 19:46
I wear an external molle carrier for work, which comprises several Esstac KYWI, HSGI Taco, Blackhawk, and other molle pouches. Is it ok to throw the carrier and all the pouches in the washer? Any recommendations on how to clean it?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1695/24153708630_b33e08d0e2.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CNo55f)

TF82
01-18-16, 01:29
I would remove everything.

I took a picture of mine so I would remember where everything went, which you obviously have covered, then removed everything and washed and dried my carrier as per the manufacturer's instructions. I set the pouches in a bucket of hot water and oxiclean for about an hour then thoroughly rinsed them in hot, running water. Everything looked new when I was done.

Mr blasty
01-18-16, 02:03
If you wash in a bucket or sink you shouldn't have to remove everything. There's no reason to. If you did it in a machine then absolutely. For my tacos, there better be a damn good reason for me to remove them. Quality nylon better be able to handle being submerged in water. A machine might rip stuff off from violent agitation and spinning it a million rpm, but hand washing isn't a problem at all.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

TF82
01-18-16, 02:37
Boy, I never thought to just hand wash the carrier. There was a lot of dust and crumbs and shit in my nylon and I figured I wanted the agitator, but I bet oxiclean would have done just fine. That shit is a miracle sent down from Billy Mays' cocaine heaven. Before outer carriers were a thing for us my undershirts used to get the nastiest stink that would be masked after the wash but as soon as you broke a sweat, i.e. got dressed in our oven err... locker room, it was instantly activated again. It even gave me a rash in the summer time. A buddy of mine buys those expensive clingy undershirts and I asked him how he spent that much money on something that would stink after a few months. He told me to pre-soak them in oxiclean for a few hours and I've been a sweet smelling son of a bitch ever since. It works great on patches too. God, I feel like grabbing a bucket of it and yelling its praises to anyone who will listen.

BatteryOperated
01-18-16, 06:32
Agree on the hand wash. I use either a deep sink such as found in the laundry room, or the bathtub. A mild detergent and brush work well, and allows you to concentrate your efforts on the heavier soiled areas.

HMM
01-18-16, 07:56
Boy, I never thought to just hand wash the carrier. There was a lot of dust and crumbs and shit in my nylon and I figured I wanted the agitator, but I bet oxiclean would have done just fine. That shit is a miracle sent down from Billy Mays' cocaine heaven. Before outer carriers were a thing for us my undershirts used to get the nastiest stink that would be masked after the wash but as soon as you broke a sweat, i.e. got dressed in our oven err... locker room, it was instantly activated again. It even gave me a rash in the summer time. A buddy of mine buys those expensive clingy undershirts and I asked him how he spent that much money on something that would stink after a few months. He told me to pre-soak them in oxiclean for a few hours and I've been a sweet smelling son of a bitch ever since. It works great on patches too. God, I feel like grabbing a bucket of it and yelling its praises to anyone who will listen.

You just sold me on getting some oxiclean! LOL

BigLarge
01-20-16, 02:23

I know exactly what you are talking about - my newly washed PT gear smells terrible as soon as I start sweating. I've found a few things that help, but nothing great. Off to buy oxiclean! I may may even try it on my external carrier...