PDA

View Full Version : Supersniper Scopes

Iraqgunz
08-13-08, 07:45
What is the general opinion of the Supersniper Scopes? I believe that they are usually sold through SWFA. Thanks

Cold Zero
08-13-08, 07:46
I have a friend who has one for quite sometime on his .308 and he swears by it. Seems like a great value for the money.

Iraqgunz
08-13-08, 08:52
Coldzero,

I am curious because I am looking for one for the SPR/ DMR type build that I am going to set up. I already have a Leupold for my other rifle and an ACOG for the AR. I believe that you recommended the Nightforce scope, I just can't justify right now. I have seen them for a pretty good price and was considering giving it a shot.

twodollarbill
08-13-08, 09:28
Supersnipers are a nice scope and a great value.
But like me...I own Leupold's and ACOG's.
I would hold out for a NightForce....just seams like the right thing to do.

Cold Zero
08-13-08, 18:31
Coldzero,

I am curious because I am looking for one for the SPR/ DMR type build that I am going to set up. I believe that you recommended the Nightforce scope, I just can't justify right now. I have seen them for a pretty good price and was considering giving it a shot.

Aside from being a tad on the heavy side, I like the N.F. scopes. The customer service is top notch as well, so no worries there if you have a problem. My first choice for an SPR type build would be a N.F. 2.5-10X in a LaRue Mount. I think I will follow my own advice and get one next year. I have the N.F. 3.5-15X on a Bolt gun and a N.F. 1-4X on an A.R..

That being said, a member here Cheaptrick has a Supersniper he bought from SWFA, who is good to deal with and is very happy with it. He sent me photos of the groups he shot with it and I would say it is a tremendous value for the money spent and it sounds just like what you are looking for. When you are ready to upgrade, they are easy to sell, very affordable. Cheaptrick is quite a shot and would answer any questions you may have since he has much first hand with the S.S. and I do not. P.M. him, he would be glad to give you an opinion.

I would say give it a shot get a Super Sniper.

Parabellum9x19mm
08-13-08, 22:38
planning on putting a Super Sniper on a .50BMG Safety Harbor upper. haven't purchased the optic yet, but everyone says they will hold up to the recoil.

Renegade
08-13-08, 23:01
I am on my second. The first was 16x and did not offer side focus. I sold it for a side focus 10x model. Like it much better. I run it on an AR-50.

LettersFromEarth
08-25-08, 21:16
What is the general opinion of the Supersniper Scopes? I believe that they are usually sold through SWFA. Thanks

Good glass w/good rep but its a fixed 10X (or 16X) and I feel that is limiting and a problem in this day and age. Sure that type of optic is still waking Hajis' by the score but even the Corps has gone to a "dial up" optic as they find it just a better way to go.
Now if the variable power Super Sniper that has been talked about for years (like the "soon" to be released Guns & Roses album! LOL) ever sees the light of day...

NC12215
08-26-08, 16:25
Iraqgunz,
I own the SS 16X and have been very pleased with mine. Tough, repeatable/accurate adjustments, clear and affordable. There is no better deal for the money. PLENTY of adjustment range.
That said, if I had the money I would by the NightForce. It IS that much better.
But, my SS is everything I need and can afford right now.
I too would like to see the long awaited variable SS arive. Until then, mine does just fine.
Dave

Side note: I got mine from the SWFA sample list and it cost $249. I was only $1,400 short of the NF I wanted.

KACSR15
08-27-08, 11:23
Bang for the buck it's a good deal. I had one on a Cross the Course 40X mounted with an IBA single pc. ring/base combo, and was using it to shoot woodchucks :D. I am still a Leupold guy but the SS is 1/3 the price of my 3.5-10 Mk4 LR M1 and when budget counts the SS is a good buy.

Good luck.

SHIVAN
08-27-08, 11:37
At the price point they sell for, they blow just about everything out of the water.

Fixed power has limitations, but if that is Ok for your use I would highly recommend that Tasco SS.

CarlosDJackal
08-27-08, 21:26
They used to be made by tasco until they went under. Because of demand, SWFA commissioned runs of them (not sure when t he lasts time they did so). For the price, they are not too bad. I paid $399 for mine back when that was all I could afford and it lasted around 6-years before the reticle started wandering on me and would not zero whatsoever.

Unfortunately, there is nobody to return it to for repair since Tasco is out of business. I thought about contactig SWFA but just did not want to deal with the hassle.

The scope held zero very well when it was still working thugh. I currently prefer my Leupold. YMMV

kevN
08-27-08, 22:32
I own two, and they are good glass and I haven't had any mechanical issues. I'd say if you are looking for inexpensive and don't mind fixed power they are a good option.

I'd say some of the midrange SightIrons are better bang for buck, like the SII 6.5-20x42 (~$450).