PDA

View Full Version : Will the Beretta 92 compact make a comeback?

jedi391
01-17-16, 22:48
With the Wilson 92 compact out has anyone heard if Beretta plans to bring back a standard 92 compact sans rail?

crusader377
01-17-16, 23:43
I'm a new owner of a Beretta 92 compact with rail (Since Christmas). It is an exceptional gun and it is fast becoming my favorite all round pistol. It is accurate, very controllable, has superb build quality, and it is based on one of the most tested and battle proven pistols currently available.

That said the 92 Compact although it is a great gun will probably have limited popularity for a few reasons.

1.) Beretta actually has to market it.

2.) Although I'm very happy with the factory night sights on mine, why can't Beretta simply do a dovetail front sight set up which would allow the end user to change out sights to their preferences.

3.) Make the D spring standard. Although the base gun has very smooth trigger, the double action pull is about 12lbs. The D spring which is a $6 Beretta Factory part reduces the DA trigger pull around 9lbs. I swapped mine in 2 minutes and my 92 Compact now feels like it had a custom trigger job in both DA and SA modes.

4.) Add 1-2 rounds to magazine capacity. The standard 13rd magazines are high quality and can you can actually load 14rds in them. That said since they are the same size as Glock 19 mags or the 15rd Mec-Gar BHP magazines, why can't Beretta provide a similar capacity for the Beretta.

Beretta has all the tools in place to make the 92 Compact a very popular pistol if it chooses to do so.

jedi391
01-18-16, 00:01
All good points. I'm not as huge a believe in night sights as I once was so that's no biggy to me and the d spring is easy enough to switch. I like the platform enough that I'll take it as is and make it what I want......if they make it. The Wilson version is nice but I actually like the safety feature so I'm getting nothing over the standard compact with a d spring. Even the g10 grips would be switched out by me for the ultra thins. I just hope they make a run of standard compacts.

crusader377
01-18-16, 00:07
All good points. I'm not as huge a believe in night sights as I once was so that's no biggy to me and the d spring is easy enough to switch. I like the platform enough that I'll take it as is and make it what I want......if they make it. The Wilson version is nice but I actually like the safety feature so I'm getting nothing over the standard compact with a d spring. Even the g10 grips would be switched out by me for the ultra thins. I just hope they make a run of standard compacts.

I think the 92 Compact is an incredible gun and mine is a current production model with trijicon NS and I switched out the D spring. Beretta doesn't need Wilson Combat to make great guns they simply need to market them and make very slight improvements to what they have.

DanjojoUSMC
01-18-16, 18:25
Always wondered why mec gar hasn't come out with higher capacity magazines for it - could probably make a 16 rounder since their 18 for the full size is only a smidge longer (and shorter than Glock 17 counterpart)... they might just need requests to show demand.

ShipWreck
01-18-16, 18:27
A batch of non railed 92 models hit the shores about 4 or 5 years ago. And, the railed models have been sold for at least the past 2 years.

I just bought this last week - new, with factory night sights... $679.

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/0c1a1a2c801f7623167b2fd3aa2225fe.jpg

Add a D spring, and I am golden... For much less than what the Wilson model is selling for with no night sights. I'm also awaiting a steel trigger. If I wanted to add one or two things more (I'm not), I would still be well under the Wilson price.

I have a Wilson Brigadier Tactical. But, I personally don't think their compact model is worth the cost...

Ttwwaack
01-18-16, 20:19
Ii thought they have been in steady production since the late 80s. Just recently been hearing about in production, out of production. Feel sorry for Beretta fans. Not a fan but might be changing with the Vertec backstrap.

Have a 92FC for what, 26 years, Italian made. It just sits quietly in the safe. Picked it up for a song, never really got on the 92 train even though it was a duty weapon. Kinda like putting up with a fat n ugly girlfriend. It gets the job done but you really don't talk about it and aquire an accute case of selective hearing.

ShipWreck: Never thought of changing out springs, I'll have to look into that.

crusader377
01-18-16, 20:41
Shipwreck, You have good tastes! I have an identical pistol to yours with night sights as well which I purchased about a month ago. My purchase price was within $5 of yours. I have added the D spring and the 92 Compact is fast becoming one of my favorite if not my favorite pistol in my collection.

Apec
01-19-16, 18:24
First time I heard of the Wilson 92G compact. Definitely interested.

ShipWreck
01-20-16, 09:49
Shipwreck, You have good tastes! I have an identical pistol to yours with night sights as well which I purchased about a month ago. My purchase price was within $5 of yours. I have added the D spring and the 92 Compact is fast becoming one of my favorite if not my favorite pistol in my collection.

Thanks. I'm still waiting on a couple of small parts to change a couple of things. Hope to go shoot it in a week or two.

KalashniKEV
01-20-16, 14:56
Will the Beretta 92 compact make a comeback?

No... because it's not "Compact," the front sight isn't dovetailed, capacity is low, and cost is high.

(And that's using the term "comeback" literally- come back to it's previous share of the market... which was like, nothing...)

jedi391
01-20-16, 15:06
Well if it's previous share was nothing but shouldn't be too hard to get there. I'm not thinking it will become a mainstream long term offering but Beretta has brought back limited runs like the 92G-SD that coincided with similar Wilson models (the Brig Tac) and really Beretta is experiencing something of s renaissance right now. It may not be for long but it's there. I CCW the 92 without too much problem but the slightly shorter grip is just big enough to work for me but just small enough to make s difference. It's the perfect size for me. Hopefully something will happen in the next year....I can hope.

mack7.62
01-20-16, 15:19
If they would just dovetail the front sight their sales would increase, I like the looks but that is a deal killer.

call_me_ski
01-20-16, 19:34
If they would just dovetail the front sight their sales would increase, I like the looks but that is a deal killer.

I truly can't believe Beretta has not caught onto this.

1. Dovetail front sight
2. introduce a frame safety into regular production w/ and w/o a steel frame
3. User convertible between G and F

The sad part is that all the work is done and they have all these products developed. They simply need to say go. The M9A3 gets close but make it in black.

ramairthree
01-21-16, 02:20
Maybe,
If they go to a Vertec type slide with a fringe sight you can change.
If they get the FS G conversion safeties.
It is still a big compact.

They really need a 92 series sub compact.
Don't think they can get the current 92 frame into a shorter grip you can hold.

Maybe dust off the 9000s plans.
Use that frame modded to
fit a 3 inch barrel 92 upper.
Will give you a 12+1 9mm or 10+1 40.
It gives a grip shorter and not as wide as the 92 compact frame.
Problems with the 9000s were slide wider than 92, super bat wing safety de cocker making even wider,
Safety de cocker reverse manual of arms from 92, poor choice of grip material.

Sadly Beretta biggest news at SHOT is a ten year old platform nobody wants, with a history of small scaled failed adoptions, with some off the shelf parts that will be priced 200$ more than the current standard version.

(Sorry for the PX4 hate. They already played the rotating barrel, non 92 mag compatible line that failed once, so by all means follow that up with another, then after that fails try to resuscitate it.)

Here is a hint Beretta.
Bring back the 92G Elite II with all metal parts.
Put a fiber optic front sight on it.
Call it the production elite. Pay Stoeger to compete with it and advertise it.

put the same upper on an m9a1 frame with night sights, call it the defender elite and advertise it.

Plenty more ideas that will sell,
But feel free to continue with cougars, px4s,
9000s, 90 twos, etc. those are killing the market.

Right there with front sights you can't change, brigadiers in FS mode, G models not on brigs or vertecs, etc.

Gardnaaa
01-27-16, 11:10
Sorry to hijack the thread lol, but quick question. I've never owned a beretta and I was trying to figure out what model is a decent price. Is the 92FS good? 600ish price range, but I don't know anything about berettas to know what is good and what's not. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTR03
01-27-16, 12:18
I am a tried and true Glock guy but I have been on a Beretta binge over the last year. Wilson Combat Brig Tactical started it... Now I have 2 92 SAO being built and have 2 more in the queue. My next goal is to buy a compact, put a centurian slide on it and have it converted to SAO. THe compact is a big compact but it is a nice general purpose size pistol.

In answer to Gardnaaa's question, the Beretta 92 series are reliable, accurate, and soft shooting. They suppress well. With Mcgar mags they hold 18 and 1. They do require more maintenance than a Glock. The double action/single action system is seen by some to be old school. I find the DA/SA guns that are equipped with a slide safety to be a little redundant and prefer the "G" models that only have decockers.

D

Gardnaaa
01-27-16, 12:31
I am a tried and true Glock guy but I have been on a Beretta binge over the last year. Wilson Combat Brig Tactical started it... Now I have 2 92 SAO being built and have 2 more in the queue. My next goal is to buy a compact, put a centurian slide on it and have it converted to SAO. THe compact is a big compact but it is a nice general purpose size pistol.

In answer to Gardnaaa's question, the Beretta 92 series are reliable, accurate, and soft shooting. They suppress well. With Mcgar mags they hold 18 and 1. They do require more maintenance than a Glock. The double action/single action system is seen by some to be old school. I find the DA/SA guns that are equipped with a slide safety to be a little redundant and prefer the "G" models that only have decockers.

D

Thanks I appreciate your feedback! Unfortunately I live in NY so nothing over 10 round mags and no suppressors :(. But I currently own a glock 22, and I love it. Carry it everyday for work and trust it with my life. I don't own any 9mm's, so I'd like to get one since they are cheaper to shoot. I have shot a PX4, but never a 92FS. So I wasn't sure what model to check out for a good starter one.

Bret
01-27-16, 14:49
I don't think the Beretta 92 Compact will make a comeback because it's large for a compact, the safety rotates backwards versus what most people want and it's expensive. For the vast majority of potential compact pistol buyers, there are simply better options for less.

Gardnaaa
01-27-16, 16:00
So what's a full size option that's a good price for 9mm? Or should I add a little bit and get a sig or USP? I've always wanted a beretta since playing Call of duty when I was younger lol

crusader377
01-27-16, 16:24
Thanks I appreciate your feedback! Unfortunately I live in NY so nothing over 10 round mags and no suppressors :(. But I currently own a glock 22, and I love it. Carry it everyday for work and trust it with my life. I don't own any 9mm's, so I'd like to get one since they are cheaper to shoot. I have shot a PX4, but never a 92FS. So I wasn't sure what model to check out for a good starter one.

I own both a 92FS Inox and a Beretta 92 Compact and I actually think the Compact is a better all round pistol even though you lose a few rounds. It is difficult to explain but the 92 Compact is much better than the sum of its parts. It has all of the accuracy and controllability of the full size in a smaller more streamline package.

crusader377
01-27-16, 16:38
So what's a full size option that's a good price for 9mm? Or should I add a little bit and get a sig or USP? I've always wanted a beretta since playing Call of duty when I was younger lol

Your base 92FS can be had for around $500 and here is a link.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=JS92F300M&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBERE

The M9A1 and 92A1s are around $600.

FWIW: I picked up my 92 compact with night sights and 3 mags for $669 plus shipping.

Gardnaaa
01-27-16, 19:40
Thank you, I'll check it now! I appreciate it. And sorry for the thread hijack OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShipWreck
01-28-16, 18:44
OK - FINALLY finished doing some customizing. Gun looks fantastic now :)

What do ya think?

- Wilson Fluted guiderod
- Steel Trigger
- Elite II Hammer
- Enlarged Mag Release
- D Spring
- Wilson VZ Compact Grips

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/06554e55f78c27ff695d7cd45b468ac3.jpg

Nightstalker865
01-28-16, 20:27

What do ya think?

- Wilson Fluted guiderod
- Steel Trigger
- Elite II Hammer
- Enlarged Mag Release

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/06554e55f78c27ff695d7cd45b468ac3.jpg

Looks great! How does it shoot compared to your full size models?

ShipWreck
01-28-16, 20:50
I will shoot it this weekend for the first time - now that I have all the parts in place.

But, I have owned two non railed compacts in years past - they shot fine. A little harder to shoot at longer ranges with the shorter sight radius. Otherwise, the same, basically. This is my 27th Beretta 92 variant since I got my first one in the mid 1990s. So, they all shoot about the same for me

w3453l
01-28-16, 21:26
ShipWreck,

I have a Berretta 92G-SD, and was going back and forth on installing a D Spring. Since it looks like you know your way around the 92's I directed my question to you.

-Am I compromising reliability in any way by going to a D Spring?

-Am I compromising reliability in any way by installing an Elite II hammer?

-Is there any particular combination of parts such as D Spring + Elite II hammer that yields better reliability vs either the Spring or Elite II hammer alone?

-Do you recommend the Wilson 16 lb Spring over the factory D Spring?

What I'm trying to avoid is possible light strikes. I'm also considering a short reach trigger; would the above mentioned Spring and Elite II hammer upgrade still be ok with a short reach trigger installed?

Lastly, have you noticed any excessive wear caused to the frame of your guns with the steel guide rod? This is something I saw mentioned before on the Berretta centered forum. It sounds plausible, but I haven't heard much beyond that.

Thanks and sorry for the hi jack.

As to the thread topic: it wouldn't surprise me if Berretta brought back the compact, although I though this was already a currently offered model.

ShipWreck
01-28-16, 21:59
ShipWreck,

I have a Berretta 92G-SD, and was going back and forth on installing a D Spring. Since it looks like you know your way around the 92's I directed my question to you.

-Am I compromising reliability in any way by going to a D Spring?

-Am I compromising reliability in any way by installing an Elite II hammer?

-Is there any particular combination of parts such as D Spring + Elite II hammer that yields better reliability vs either the Spring or Elite II hammer alone?

-Do you recommend the Wilson 16 lb Spring over the factory D Spring?

What I'm trying to avoid is possible light strikes. I'm also considering a short reach trigger; would the above mentioned Spring and Elite II hammer upgrade still be ok with a short reach trigger installed?

Lastly, have you noticed any excessive wear caused to the frame of your guns with the steel guide rod? This is something I saw mentioned before on the Berretta centered forum. It sounds plausible, but I haven't heard much beyond that.

Thanks and sorry for the hi jack.

As to the thread topic: it wouldn't surprise me if Berretta brought back the compact, although I though this was already a currently offered model.

Install it - you will not regret it.

The Beretta ELite II came from the factory with an Elite II hammer and the D spring - it doesn't cause light hammer strikes. The Wilson Brigadier Tactical and new M9A3 come with D springs installed, and the Wilson also has the ELite II hammer.

All of the twenty-seven 92 variants I have owned had a D spring in them. Never had a light strike. About 2/3 of them had the ELite II hammer with the D spring. Never a light strike in thousands of rounds. The Elite II hammer is more for a cosmetic thing than anything else - but you have nothing to worry about.

As for the steel guiderod - it should not cause any where. I did once have an issue with 1 guiderod. I think itw as an aftermarket one. The spring actually went up over the bigger head of the guiderod, and the guiderod stuck out it's full length with the slide closed. Took me like an hour to get the damn slide off the gun, and it put a tiny chip in the frame doing so. After that - I just kept the factory polymer guiderods that come with the gun - I stopped changing them out all the time like I did before. I was almost afraid I was gonna have to send the gun to Beretta.

However - the compact models come with a metal guiderod still. So, I just changed out the factory one for the WIlson one. Otherwise, I don't normally worry about this change after that 1 experience... The polymer guiderods need no lubrication, and are really fine as is.

w3453l
01-28-16, 22:40
Great, thanks!

How easy would you say it is to change out the trigger spring and hammer? I've never done it before. Would you suppose it's about as easy as swapping parts in a Glock? Or is it something that should be done alongside someone experienced at least the first time?

Thanks again

DanjojoUSMC
01-29-16, 04:07

What do ya think?

- Wilson Fluted guiderod
- Steel Trigger
- Elite II Hammer
- Enlarged Mag Release
- D Spring

She is a beauty. Are your Wilson VZ grips the "ultra thin" version? Contemplating if they would be good for me on the little one when combined with the reduced grip length, or if a little thickness is better. Haven't seen a front or rear view of them so it is hard to tell.

Probably going to end up getting one soon to go with the full-size and start nagging Mec Gar for 15rd flush compact mags. :)

ShipWreck
01-29-16, 06:27
She is a beauty. Are your Wilson VZ grips the "ultra thin" version? Contemplating if they would be good for me on the little one when combined with the reduced grip length, or if a little thickness is better. Haven't seen a front or rear view of them so it is hard to tell.

Probably going to end up getting one soon to go with the full-size and start nagging Mec Gar for 15rd flush compact mags. :)

They are the regular size grips. I have small hands, but that is still my preference.

ShipWreck
01-29-16, 06:30
Great, thanks!

How easy would you say it is to change out the trigger spring and hammer? I've never done it before. Would you suppose it's about as easy as swapping parts in a Glock? Or is it something that should be done alongside someone experienced at least the first time?

Thanks again

When I got my first Beretta, I too was worried about doing this. But, I found some online videos. Those particular videos are no longer online, but there are still tons of them on you tube. It is very easy to strip the frame on a 92, and I have zero gun smithing skills. I have never even worked on a Glock, but I can do this.

Gardnaaa
01-29-16, 09:11
Those are some sweet guns! I'm gonna have to get one now!

en4cer
01-29-16, 18:50
Back in the day, I messed with reloads for my 92 compact. I think it was 88gr sierra's loaded hot that absolutely transformed that gun. Tack driver. They are beautiful guns. Crap, I may have to actually shoot the darn thing again after reading this thread. Sweet pic's. :D

KalashniKEV
01-29-16, 19:40
It is very easy to strip the frame on a 92, and I have zero gun smithing skills.

I did it last weekend to a 92G using this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc_wb5YaU4

Not hard to do, but damn there are a lot of pins and springs in there...

w3453l
01-29-16, 20:44
When I got my first Beretta, I too was worried about doing this. But, I found some online videos. Those particular videos are no longer online, but there are still tons of them on you tube. It is very easy to strip the frame on a 92, and I have zero gun smithing skills. I have never even worked on a Glock, but I can do this.

Good to hear; thanks for your input. I'll be trying it out soon

ShipWreck
01-29-16, 21:50
I did it last weekend to a 92G using this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc_wb5YaU4

Not hard to do, but damn there are a lot of pins and springs in there...

Well, the slide is actually the hardest part. There is no reason to strip the slide unless you are having problems. The frame is super easy.

Edmo
02-09-16, 19:42

No...

Edmo

Drifting Fate
02-09-16, 20:54

No...

Edmo

With Wison's offering, I think it already has. Sure, not in Glock 19 numbers, but in it's own way it's risen above obscurity to reclaim the cult status it once had. In the age of the striker fired pistol, the SA and DA/SA pistols still claim their own secure market share.