PDA

View Full Version : Battle Rifle and/or DMR Class

Gutshot John
08-13-08, 08:55
I've been looking for a good battle rifle and/or DMR class but they seem to be REALLY rare.

Any recommendations for a particular course/instructor?

Iraqgunz
08-13-08, 09:50
Gutshot,

I am actually looking at the SPR Course offered by GPS Defense (affiliated with McBros School) out in Arizona. I have heard enough good stuff about it that if I can work it out, I will go.

HolyRoller
08-13-08, 11:09
I'm going to John Boyette's class in a few weeks that may be what you're looking for. I'll sure post an AAR. Last year LAV ran a battle rifle class which I couldn't quite get to, but that was just as well because I subsequently discovered that my M1 battle rifle was out of headspace, which in turn explained many rounds of split brass.

CarlosDJackal
08-13-08, 11:29
Take this FWIW: Designated Marksman Rifle Course - Houston, TX (http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=578)

rob_s
08-13-08, 11:39
Randy Cain does a "practical rifle" class, but that may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's geared towards fighting with a bolt-action lightweight rifle with a 1-5x+/- scope.

Gutshot John
08-13-08, 12:41
Randy Cain does a "practical rifle" class, but that may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's geared towards fighting with a bolt-action lightweight rifle with a 1-5x+/- scope.

So like a scout rifle? I was looking for something to take my DSA FAL to, but that's good to know for future reference.

I had seen the Suarez class, but didn't know if anyone had experience with it, but for that price, I might have to give it a whirl.

BigRed
08-16-08, 14:49
Gutshot,

I am actually looking at the SPR Course offered by GPS Defense (affiliated with McBros School) out in Arizona. I have heard enough good stuff about it that if I can work it out, I will go.

GPS used to have an affiliation with McMillan rifles but now that McBros are running thier own training I believe that connection has been severed.

Iraqgunz
08-16-08, 15:35
Bigred,

Thanks for the updated info.

GPS used to have an affiliation with McMillan rifles but now that McBros are running thier own training I believe that connection has been severed.

Cold Zero
08-16-08, 17:25
I've been looking for a good battle rifle and/or DMR class but they seem to be REALLY rare.

Any recommendations for a particular course/instructor?

Storm Mtn. Training Center, C.P.E.C. Course, Close Precision Engagement Course. Designed for the magazine fed D.M.R. / S.P.R. rifle and based on F.B.I. sniper curriculem. Targets are engaged out to 400 yds. day and night, in the urban sniper / counter sniper role. Excellent course, don't expect much sleep, be fit, bring your "A" game.

http://www.stormmountain.com/media/training/cpec.pdf

Gutshot John
08-16-08, 19:59
Storm Mtn. Training Center, C.P.E.C. Course, Close Precision Engagement Course. Designed for the magazine fed D.M.R. / S.P.R. rifle and based on F.B.I. sniper curriculem. Targets are engaged out to 400 yds. day and night, in the urban sniper / counter sniper role. Excellent course, don't expect much sleep, be fit, bring your "A" game.

http://www.stormmountain.com/media/training/cpec.pdf

Damn and only an hour and a half away from me...awesome.

Gutshot John
08-16-08, 21:42
Ouch, you have to take a prereq class and you have to use a mil-dot scope.

Let me rephrase...ignore the DMR part...

Straight Battle rifle class, with low power optic like ACOG.

Gutshot John
08-18-08, 17:39
I signed up for the Suarez class. We'll see how it goes.

zushwa
08-20-08, 18:02
I can't spill the beans yet but I just had a conversation about this EXACT course last week with a well known instructor. I'm finalizing dates for the range and I should have all the details within a week or so. Target date is the beginning of November.

Oh, and the instructor isn't one I have listed on our webpage, but he might be one of the most qualified guys to teach it.

I'll post here as soon as I have the scope.

Later,

CarlosDJackal
09-01-08, 11:57
I signed up for the Suarez class. We'll see how it goes.

I wish I could take it as well. Let us know how it goes.