PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PMag 21 and 27 GL9 extended Glock mags

Noodles
01-18-16, 15:25
No real surprise. Anyone should have been able to see this coming. I'm guessing the 21 is specifically sized for a specific competition length. The 27 tho... I'm not sure about, I wonder if there is a reason they didn't 30-33?

Oh well, $20 and $22, Magpul is of coarse KILLING IT as always.

Just this week Zev decides to release $42 +4 baseplates for the Magpul glock mag... Ha... I'm sure those are going to more unpopular now than they would have last week.

It seems the 27GL9 has a few windows going up the length for round number indication, that's something I'd really like just a couple of on the smaller mags :\

https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG661/MAG661-Hero.jpg&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5
https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG662/MAG662-Hero.jpg&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-27-gl9

59Bassman
01-18-16, 17:49
I think the reason they kept to these sizes is specifically for competitions. The 21 rounder will be the ticket for 3 gunners running a Glock. The 27 rounder is the right length if you've got an Open class Glock with an optic. Smart move, IMHO.

Noodles
01-18-16, 17:50
I think the reason they kept to these sizes is specifically for competitions. The 21 rounder will be the ticket for 3 gunners running a Glock. The 27 rounder is the right length if you've got an Open class Glock with an optic. Smart move, IMHO.

I figured it might be something like that, but I don't know all the competition rules. Yea, agreed, makes sense.

SDSwoll
01-19-16, 03:15
Waiting for the .40 versions which hopefully are in the works......

RAM Engineer
01-19-16, 12:09
Do people seriously buy Zev stuff? I figured it was the gun equivalent of big, chrome rims and a fart-can on a Honda Civic.

WickedWillis
01-19-16, 12:56
Do people seriously buy Zev stuff? I figured it was the gun equivalent of big, chrome rims and a fart-can on a Honda Civic.

Yes, Zev does very well.

ST911
01-19-16, 15:30
No real surprise. Anyone should have been able to see this coming. I'm guessing the 21 is specifically sized for a specific competition length. The 27 tho... I'm not sure about, I wonder if there is a reason they didn't 30-33?

Excellent. With the 17s and 19s being GTG, I'm really looking forward to the 21s.

Spiffums
01-19-16, 16:47

Just this week Zev decides to release $42 +4 baseplates for the Magpul glock mag... Ha... I'm sure those are going to more unpopular now than they would have last week.

It seems the 27GL9 has a few windows going up the length for round number indication, that's something I'd really like just a couple of on the smaller mags :\

140mm and 170mm.......but you get 2 more rounds in a +5 baseplate with 9mm. A 21 round reloadable mag would the ticket in 40 cal.

DirectTo
01-19-16, 18:26
I do think it's confusing to name them 21 and 27...both GLOCK models the mags don't actually fit.

But I'll still end up with quite a few. Thanks for the additions guys!

Maiden3.16
01-19-16, 19:07
I do think it's confusing to name them 21 and 27...both GLOCK models the mags don't actually fit.

But I'll still end up with quite a few. Thanks for the additions guys!

I agree. My very first thought was "sweet magpul glock 21 mags." Oh well.

CleverNickname
01-19-16, 19:18
I agree. My very first thought was "sweet magpul glock 21 mags." Oh well.

Yeah something like "GL9-140" or "GL9-170" would have gotten the point across better.

Moose-Knuckle
01-20-16, 02:37
Sweet, the more the merrier!

RAM Engineer
01-20-16, 09:32
I always wondered why Glock didn't release a reasonable length 9mm mag like they did with the 22 round .40 mags.

SC-Texas
01-24-16, 13:44
I saw these at Shot Show this year.

1. They are competition legal. Hence the odd round count, 21rds & 27rds.
2. They feel good in the hand. Insert easily.
3. They Drop free.
4. The finish on these prototype mags is not the production finish.
5. Should retail for around $25.00
6. Available late 2016?
7. Great for home defense and carry. The 21rd doesn't stick that much farther out than the 17rd magazine.
8. Yes . . . I should have put the 17rd in the frame for a size reference. I didn't think about it as I was very excited.
9. Finally, no more plus 5 mag extensions and wondering if the spring is going to work reliably

https://youtu.be/Dg_1kjeWTCA

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
01-24-16, 14:31
I always wondered why Glock didn't release a reasonable length 9mm mag like they did with the 22 round .40 mags.

Because Glock.

To the best of my knowledge, they only produced the 22-round 40-caliber magazines in response to a demand by a certain unit for them (a certain unit that at least used to carry 40-caliber Glocks. Probably the same unit that the ALG Six-Second Mount was developed for).

Obviously, Glock has proven in the last year that they're not entirely deaf to the wants of the commercial market... but they also aren't entirely in tune with them, either.

ChaseN
01-24-16, 16:21
The fact that these were announced like the day after the $42 Zev extensions has got to be a kick in the nuts for them...granted, you can buy a Zev extension now, and who knows when you'll be able to buy these.

Obviously, Glock has proven in the last year that they're not entirely deaf to the wants of the commercial market... but they also aren't entirely in tune with them, either.

+1. I have to think that Glock USA pretty well knows what we all want. I also get the feeling that Glock USA doesn't get to make any significant decisions without the approval of Glock Austria...and the US commercial market might as well be Martian to them. Contrast this with a company like CZ, where they seem to get to do whatever they want in the US without approval or significant input from the Czech mothership.

Kain
01-24-16, 16:42
Because Glock.

To the best of my knowledge, they only produced the 22-round 40-caliber magazines in response to a demand by a certain unit for them (a certain unit that at least used to carry 40-caliber Glocks. Probably the same unit that the ALG Six-Second Mount was developed for).

Hmmm, if this is the case then someone send a memo to the NSW and tell them to tell glock that they want mags the same length but in 9mm so we can reap the rewards, as it were.

ramairthree
01-24-16, 16:48
Yeah, they should have called them the Glock 9Lim and 9 Open.

They 19 and 17 mags are not all that much cheaper than factory mags.
But compared to factory mags plus baseplates plus springs these are going to be a steal.

Edit

CZ is very responsive to the market.
With Glock the aftermarket is responsive.
With beretta they bungle cluelessly along.
Wilson kicks them in the ass,
And they come up with crap and still don't get it. Plastic parts guns the same price as the brig Tac, FS model brigs and vertec so,
G models with unchangabke front sight, same with carry models.
Instead of paying Stoeger to shoot 92s in production and Langdon in SSP,
They continue to ignore uspsa,
And pay Langdon to pimp the fuvking PX series.

CZ is like the exception that proves the European manufacturers don't get the us market.
Which is what,
Like the only rich, sizable civilian market in the world.

ST911
01-24-16, 21:11
One of the advantages of the existing (and new) extensions vs the extended GL9s is their added weight, along with the contours that can be used for holds/indexing. They'll remain very popular for gun gaming. However, I suspect those users aren't even a morsel of the market that the 21/27 will appeal to.

Renegade
01-24-16, 22:22
Yeah something like "GL9-140" or "GL9-170" would have gotten the point across better.

Full Model Name is PMAG 21 GL9 & PMAG 27 GL9.

GL9-21 or GL9-140, etc would have been better for sure.

ramairthree
09-02-16, 19:20
Summer 2016
Is about to pass as Labor Day falls.

I am not interested in a more brittle clear plastic version.

you will be able to buy three of these compared to the cost to get an extension and spring and factory magazine.

I am looking forward to them.

teutonicpolymer
09-02-16, 19:44
hopefully we see these for .40 cal, .45, and 10mm...

Straight Shooter
09-02-16, 20:20
Summer 2016
Is about to pass as Labor Day falls.

I am not interested in a more brittle clear plastic version.

you will be able to buy three of these compared to the cost to get an extension and spring and factory magazine.

I am looking forward to them.

Brother.. if you are referring to ETS mags...STOP with the "brittle" crap. THEY AINT.

HardToHandle
09-02-16, 21:07
Brother.. if you are referring to ETS mags...STOP with the "brittle" crap. THEY AINT.

I tested bouncing full and partially loaded ETS magazines off concrete. Height was four feet high, to simulate a drop from shoulder height.

I had one full magazine lose a full rounds due to flexibility but the ETS mags survived multiple drops without issue.

Straight Shooter
09-02-16, 22:31
I tested bouncing full and partially loaded ETS magazines off concrete. Height was four feet high, to simulate a drop from shoulder height.

I had one full magazine lose a full rounds due to flexibility but the ETS mags survived multiple drops without issue.

They've been thoroughly tested repeatedly. Ever so often, one has broken. Ive seen and had Glock factory mags break too.
If people don't want ETS mags, I give a shit. Just stop with the "brittle/fragile" horseshit.
Myself, I wouldn't own a Glock P-Mag.

26 Inf
09-02-16, 22:52
Probably like most of you I own both types, ETS and P-Mags. I prefer the ETS. By far. At this point I use them for training and range, factory Glocks for carry. My main gripe with the P-Mags are no index holes to see how many rounds there are beyond 'oh, it's full.'

I wanted to like the ETS AR mags, but I'm neutral, my feel is they take up too much room with the side attachment fixture. And price wise I tend to go with GI.

jackblack73
09-03-16, 01:03
I wanted to like the ETS AR mags, but I'm neutral, my feel is they take up too much room with the side attachment fixture.

You know you can buy them without the coupling feature, right? That said, they're still bulkier than other mags.

26 Inf
09-03-16, 09:55
You know you can buy them without the coupling feature, right? That said, they're still bulkier than other mags.

I'd forgotten that.

In my opinion their niche market for rifle mags is the 'force-on-force' market for users of the Simunition or Force-On-Force marking rounds. If I were them I would aggressively market that direction. That actually is why I bought my first bunch, taking one for the team, so to speak, as kind of a T&E deal.

As far as the brittle deal, what they ought to do to nip that in the bud is link up with an academy that has a concrete range, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center comes to mind :), and furnish them mags for a couple of classes. I'm retired from their now, but I got so freaking tired of either giving folks prayer rugs to drop their metal or metal/plastic floorplate mags on, or chasing parts across the range.

I'm happy with the GI Mags. As far as price point and reliability, for rifle mags, I cant really understand why anyone would exclusively use only PMags or ETS.

However, I do love their pistol mags, they are priced lower than factory mags, and I can easily see how many I've got loaded for practicing plates, etc.

JMO.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-03-16, 21:08
I'm interested in the GL9 21 rd mag. A G19 with an RMR, Silencerco Octane 9 and a stash of 21rd mags is pretty appealing as a "things got weird while at work now I need to get home" gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
09-03-16, 22:25
ETS Glock magazines rock, I prefer them to the Magpul 15/17rd magazines (but those are functional and I grabbed some when they were $11 shipped from AIM).

Drop anything on the ground and it CAN break. Anything. Sure, most of the time it won't, but eventually someone will break a <insert brand name item> by doing so.

one
09-04-16, 16:41
As far as the brittle deal, what they ought to do to nip that in the bud is link up with an academy that has a concrete range, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center comes to mind :), and furnish them mags for a couple of classes. I'm retired from their now, but I got so freaking tired of either giving folks prayer rugs to drop their metal or metal/plastic floorplate mags on, or chasing parts across the range.

JMO.

That would definitely be the place to break them. We're really lucky here we were able to replicate that range pattern but went with gravel within the walkways.

J_C_S
09-04-16, 17:20
I don't mean to turn this into a magpul vs ETS thread but I'm also looking forward to the magpul high capacity magazines. The ETS ones swell too much when loaded to capacity and won't fit in my g34. They fit in the others but that one gun doesn't like them. I haven't tried to 15 & 17 round ETS so I can't compare but I have 5 magpul 17s and 5 magpul 15s and they've worked flawless. I suppose I need to give ETS another shot.

arptsprt
09-04-16, 18:28
Funny. I've had several of the Magpul 21 rounders on "pre-order" since May. Typical Magpul BS where they over promise and under deliver with delivery of new products. I cancelled the Pmag order and ordered the ETMs, in stock, as part of a Labor Day sale today. Summer is over and no Pmags - I'm tired of waiting. I'll use the ETMs for the final few matches of the year.

Hot Sauce
09-04-16, 19:22
A G19 with an RMR, Silencerco Octane 9 and a stash of 21rd mags is pretty appealing as a "things got weird while at work now I need to get home" gun.

You work in a prison?

Dozer
09-08-16, 14:08
http://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG661/MAG661-HERO-2.jpg&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5

Now Shipping: PMAG® 21 GL9™

The PMAG® 21 GL9™ is a 21-round Glock 9mm handgun magazine featuring flawless reliability and durability over thousands of rounds. Meeting the overall length requirements for a 140MM competition magazine, the PMAG® 21 GL9™ offers additional capacity without the need for expensive extensions.

PMAG® 21 GL9™ (http://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-21-gl9)

DirectTo
09-08-16, 14:15
Additional capacity windows, nice! Thanks guys.

TAZ
09-08-16, 14:42
I like. Can't wait to see them at the LGS.

CloudWars
09-08-16, 19:08
I have a question for guys using PMAGS...are they gtg for defense/carry purposes or just extra range mags?

KingsideRook
09-08-16, 19:12
Funny. I've had several of the Magpul 21 rounders on "pre-order" since May. Typical Magpul BS where they over promise and under deliver with delivery of new products. I cancelled the Pmag order and ordered the ETMs, in stock, as part of a Labor Day sale today. Summer is over and no Pmags - I'm tired of waiting. I'll use the ETMs for the final few matches of the year.

Summer's over in...14 days, actually. Looks like they're shipping, too! I expect I'll get my ship notification from Brownells any minute now.

friendlyfireisnt
09-08-16, 19:17
I have a question for guys using PMAGS...are they gtg for defense/carry purposes or just extra range mags?

That's up to you.

I've got somewhere around 15-19 of them so far. I've got a couple thousand rounds downrange through them. I've had one failure, using suspect ammo in a brand new pistol. That was with the first mag. Since then, no failures with any ammo. 2 Glock 19's, factory and aftermarket barrels. FMJ, JHP and steel cases ammo.

So, for me, I feel comfortable with my spare mag being a Magpul mag.

CloudWars
09-08-16, 19:48
Thanks for the reply.

opngrnd
09-08-16, 20:11
I tend to use mine primarily as range mags, since they are going to get beat up, dropped in dirt and gravel, and dirtied up. I like that they are easier to clean. Beyond that, I would not hesitate if I reached for a mag and Magpul is what came up. I've found them good to go over approx 3,000 rounds between three pistols.

CloudWars
09-08-16, 20:25
Sounds like I'm out of excuses for not buying some. Cheers

RHINOWSO
09-10-16, 00:45
Just range mags for me, as I dislike the overly thick basepads.

Benito
09-10-16, 08:34
I'm sure these are fine, but I'd love to see steel feed lips. Perhaps something like Lancer does with its rifle mags.

TAZ
09-10-16, 09:38

As with everything you're going to bet your life on; test it in your gun using your ammo and such. I've run PMAGS in my ARs for years yet every new gun I buy I still function test every one that I intend to youse off the range. Spend the $20 or so and worst case is you have a training mag.

BuzzinSATX
09-10-16, 10:08
http://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG661/MAG661-HERO-2.jpg&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5

Now Shipping: PMAG[emoji768] 21 GL9[emoji769]

The PMAG[emoji768] 21 GL9[emoji769] is a 21-round Glock 9mm handgun magazine featuring flawless reliability and durability over thousands of rounds. Meeting the overall length requirements for a 140MM competition magazine, the PMAG[emoji768] 21 GL9[emoji769] offers additional capacity without the need for expensive extensions.

PMAG[emoji768] 21 GL9[emoji769] (http://www.Magpul.com/products/pmag-21-gl9)

Dozer,

Thanks for the update. LOVE your products, but I have a question...

How about you guys make a simple poly spacer sleeve for the most likely mag/gun combos...something like the "X Grip" spacers.

Some combos that make sense to me are:

17 round mag/G19 pistol
15 round mag/G26 pistol
21 round mag/G17 (maybe G19) pistol

Sell them in 2 packs for $5-7 bucks.

It would be a simple chunk of plastic, and I imagine your margins would be excellent on such a product. Plus, y'all are in the "simple chunk of plastic" business...it would be a slam dunk like your Ranger Plate or iPhone covers.

Heck, I'll even volunteer to product test them[emoji41]

Take Care,

Buzz

El Cid
09-10-16, 11:49
Dozer,

How about you guys make a simple poly spacer sleeve for the most likely mag/gun combos...something like the "X Grip" spacers.

17 round mag/G19 pistol
15 round mag/G26 pistol

It would be a simple chunk of plastic, and I imagine your margins would be excellent on such a product. Plus, y'all are in the "simple chunk of plastic" business...it would be a slam dunk like your Ranger Plate or iPhone covers.

For what purpose do you want these? On subcompacts where the hand grips it (such as a G26 w a 15 or 17rd mag) I get it. For larger weapons I don't. If you're concerned about over-insertion of the mag that's really more of an issue with single stack guns. Double column mags have a shoulder that will not allow you to damage the feed lips in most quality pistols.

Take Care,

Buzz

For what purpose do you want the sleeves? I ask because on a subcompact like a G26 with 15 or 17rd mags, I get it. The gun is short enough that your hand can use the sleeve. But on larger pistols I see no use for it. If you're concerned about over-insertion that's really more of a single stack gun issue. Most quality double stack pistols don't have that problem be use the shoulder of the mag won't permit the feed lips to be damaged.

RHINOWSO
09-10-16, 12:51
Glock PMAGs are my cheap contingency mags - buy them for $11 or less to keep as trade fodder / investment.

J_C_S
09-10-16, 13:36
Dozer,

17 round mag/G19 pistol
15 round mag/G26 pistol

Take Care,

Buzz

They do have 12 round mags on their website as "coming soon" for the g26.

BuzzinSATX
09-10-16, 15:32
For what purpose do you want the sleeves? I ask because on a subcompact like a G26 with 15 or 17rd mags, I get it. The gun is short enough that your hand can use the sleeve. But on larger pistols I see no use for it. If you're concerned about over-insertion that's really more of a single stack gun issue. Most quality double stack pistols don't have that problem be use the shoulder of the mag won't permit the feed lips to be damaged.

Honestly, primarily aesthetics. I used to carry my g26 with a 15 round magazine, and it drove me nuts with that stub hanging out. I was always tugging on it to make sure it was seated. OCD? Maybe just a bit. I bought a couple XGrips and problem solved. Same with 19 using 17 mags, or G22 mags in my G23.

I have a G17 that, other than the occasional range visit, almost exclusively sits in a drawer beside my bed. I'm planning on using one of the 21 round PMAGs in that gun, and I'd prefer a sleeve on the mag as well. Maybe one of my XGrips will work with a bit of Dremmel time.

Lots of G17's in LEO holsters, and more to come as they follow the FBI's trend to the 9MM Assuming their department approves of the PMAG21, I can see guys using them, and that nub sticking out could get hung up on stuff in the course of a day.

Just my $0.02, that you got Pro Bono, on an Internet gun forum...

MountainRaven
09-10-16, 15:38
I'm confused as to how a grip sleeve would keep a 21-round magazine from getting hung up on stuff.

BuzzinSATX
09-10-16, 17:30
I'm confused as to how a grip sleeve would keep a 21-round magazine from getting hung up on stuff.

https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG661/Single/MAG661-single.jpg&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Width=950&Height=450&Crop=5

El Cid
09-10-16, 21:16
Honestly, primarily aesthetics. I used to carry my g26 with a 15 round magazine, and it drove me nuts with that stub hanging out. I was always tugging on it to make sure it was seated. OCD? Maybe just a bit. I bought a couple XGrips and problem solved. Same with 19 using 17 mags, or G22 mags in my G23.

I have a G17 that, other than the occasional range visit, almost exclusively sits in a drawer beside my bed. I'm planning on using one of the 21 round PMAGs in that gun, and I'd prefer a sleeve on the mag as well. Maybe one of my XGrips will work with a bit of Dremmel time.

Lots of G17's in LEO holsters, and more to come as they follow the FBI's trend to the 9MM Assuming their department approves of the PMAG21, I can see guys using them, and that nub sticking out could get hung up on stuff in the course of a day.

Just my $0.02, that you got Pro Bono, on an Internet gun forum...
I suspect most folks are using the extended mags for reloads so getting caught on things while in a holster doesn't seem like much of a problem. My nightstand pistol has a TTI +5 extension and I haven't had issues with it being a problem. As for how it looks... lol! That's your demon to fight. ;)

SIGguy229
09-10-16, 21:49

I've taken my PMAGs on three deployments...Iraq and Afghanistan. Zero issues with heat, dust, etc.

seribralcrow
09-10-16, 22:27

I use mine as range mags, more so because I have so many factory mags sitting around

MountainRaven
09-10-16, 22:31
https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Magazines/MAG661/Single/MAG661-single.jpg&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Width=950&Height=450&Crop=5

I still don't see how a grip sleeve would help keep you from knocking the mag on stuff.

seribralcrow
09-10-16, 22:40
Glock PMAGs are my cheap contingency mags - buy them for $11 or less to keep as trade fodder / investment.

Same here, also good range mags

El Cid
09-11-16, 09:06
I've taken my PMAGs on three deployments...Iraq and Afghanistan. Zero issues with heat, dust, etc.

Pretty sure he's talking about the Magpul plastic Glock mags.

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-16, 01:01
So, anyone shot with the PMAG 21 GL9 mags yet?

About to order some but haven't seen anything since they were released.

KalashniKEV
09-20-16, 13:45
So, anyone shot with the PMAG 21 GL9 mags yet?

About to order some but haven't seen anything since they were released.

I was about to order some, but it looks like the ETS mags are ~140mm as well and carry an extra round. I just bought 4.

I might still check out a PMAG-27 though.

WickedWillis
09-20-16, 14:11
I was about to order some, but it looks like the ETS mags are ~140mm as well and carry an extra round. I just bought 4.

I'm wondering how the new Magpul 21 work in the Kriss, I know the ETS had issues in them.

J_C_S
09-20-16, 15:19

My experience- you won't get 22 rounds in them. Even 21 is difficult.

WickedWillis
09-20-16, 15:23

Then contact ETS and they will send you brand new springs. They did for me, and I get 22 in without needing my uplula

KingsideRook
09-20-16, 15:45
It's purely speculation on my part, but given what the disparity I've seen in reliability from ETS vs Magpul Glock mags, I'm willing to bet Magpul didn't simply forget to make the GL9 PMAG 21 hold 22 rounds.

Straight Shooter
09-20-16, 15:54

My many 22 round mags holds 22 just fine, only being stiff & difficult to load initially. Had one that woyldnt take but 21 rounds...contacted ETS via FB and a new spring cured that.

ETSGroup
09-20-16, 16:18
Hey guys I don't want to hijack this thread but if you have one of our 22 round mags and it won't hold 22 rounds please contact us for a spring replacement. We will be happy to replace it for you.

MountainRaven
09-20-16, 16:32
It's purely speculation on my part, but given what the disparity I've seen in reliability from ETS vs Magpul Glock mags, I'm willing to bet Magpul didn't simply forget to make the GL9 PMAG 21 hold 22 rounds.

I would say that Magpul pulled an H&K: They prioritized function over capacity.

22-rounds in an ETS are difficult to seat in the gun, swell slightly (preventing fully loaded magazines from dropping freely - although I don't know why you would need one to), and have had issues with springs (which ETS has been great about addressing as the issue arises).

RHINOWSO
09-21-16, 19:10
Funny my ETS mags have been as reliable as my Magpul mags - and let not forget that all companies have had issues with new products in the past - be in magazines, BUIS, you name it.

Both Magpul and ETS have done a great job addressing those when they come up, so in the end pick the one you like and move on.

RHINOWSO
09-21-16, 19:14
I would say that Magpul pulled an H&K: They prioritized function over capacity.
Maybe, maybe not. The Glock PMAG design seems to have a very thick basepad which likely costs them length and room. On the 15rd mags it's obnoxiously long IMO, to the point I will use the 4 Magpuls I have take out of the package, but the rest will stay in storage, as I prefer the form factor of OEM and ETS magazines much better - all have functioned with the same reliability for me (ie not caused any failures - only cheap / weak ammo as caused those).

MountainRaven
09-21-16, 21:44
Maybe, maybe not. The Glock PMAG design seems to have a very thick basepad which likely costs them length and room. On the 15rd mags it's obnoxiously long IMO, to the point I will use the 4 Magpuls I have take out of the package, but the rest will stay in storage, as I prefer the form factor of OEM and ETS magazines much better - all have functioned with the same reliability for me (ie not caused any failures - only cheap / weak ammo as caused those).

I personally prefer the Magpul magazines in my G17 with an Agency well as I feel it would be easier to grasp the magazine and rip it out in the event of a double-feed or other stuck magazine issue. Vickers base plates work with OEM and ETS magazines, but I prefer a longer magazine with a beefier base plate to grasp onto for concealment versus a shorter, wider magazine base plate.

I still need to re-test my ETS 22-rounders - and ask them to send me the new springs if they fail again - as I do prefer the transparent magazine to the solid black for training and practice.

Moose-Knuckle
09-29-16, 03:20
G18, 21 GL9, G17, G19:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8098/29706593920_82f649e9c1_k.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8405/29886959042_9ffa019ba7_k.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5069/29966439576_41edb8d4c9_k.jpg

Warp
10-02-16, 21:50

Agree.

I waited for Magpul and ordered a pair of their 21 round mags. Following the ETS thread on M4C alone would keep me away but I've seen issues posted elsewhere too.

TAZ
10-03-16, 08:23
Haven't had a chance to shoot my GL21 yet, but it does take 21 last one was hard to get in but not so hard as to require a MagLuLa. Magazine seats easily with 21 in the body and slide closed on my G19MOS. With 20 its a piece of cake to do a tac reload. Stuffed to the gills it drops free. Didn't notice any bulge either. Will function test this week.

No experience with ETS as I couldn't find one locally to evaluate. The idea of clear sounds good so I may order one if I have something else to buy.

KalashniKEV
10-03-16, 10:09
...I prefer a longer magazine with a beefier base plate to grasp onto for concealment versus a shorter, wider magazine base plate.

I'm the opposite way. I think the chunky baseplates should give you an extra round, or some advantage.

I'm 400 rounds into a pair of ETS mags I bought only a few weeks ago, and all I can report is that they have been 100% and I suck with shooting a pistol.

MountainRaven
10-03-16, 13:41
I'm the opposite way. I think the chunky baseplates should give you an extra round, or some advantage.

I'm 400 rounds into a pair of ETS mags I bought only a few weeks ago, and all I can report is that they have been 100% and I suck with shooting a pistol.

Being able to seat your magazines without using a sledgehammer* or downloading magazines isn't an advantage?

*This is exaggeration, obviously.

DirectTo
10-03-16, 13:47
G18, 21 GL9, G17, G19:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8098/29706593920_82f649e9c1_k.jpg
If I can borrow your pic Moose...

Anyone know if there is/what is the significance of the different floor angles on the mags? Going from a slight tilt (19/23/32) to severe tilt (17/22/31) to squared off (Magpul 21) to severe tilt again (31 round). Obviously the smaller ones square up against their respective firearms but is there any particular reason for the differences especially between the full size and compact magazines? Any Glock armorers have an opinion?

ETSGroup
10-03-16, 13:51
Being able to seat your magazines without using a sledgehammer* or downloading magazines isn't an advantage?

Once again, I don't want to hijack this thread....that said, if your 22 round mag is hard to seat with 22 rounds in it, you need to get one of our newly designed springs (new within the last few weeks). When the spring is right, it makes a world of difference. Also, if we can't get your mags working like you think they should, we will take them back. We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So please email our customer service so we can get some new springs on the way to you at no charge.

Sorry to interrupt.

Thanks!

KalashniKEV
10-03-16, 14:43

No issues with my mags, homey.

I even tested this after I read about it.

Moar bullets, smaller mag, 100% reliability (so far), and... I think... more durable makes it a no brainer.

...if your 22 round mag is hard to seat with 22 rounds in it, you need to get one of our newly designed springs (new within the last few weeks).

RHINOWSO
10-07-16, 15:27
Personally I think these magazines (21rd PMAG and 22rd ETS) are about perfect for a reload on the body or to have a couple in a backpack - much more usable than the 33rd. More quality options is good for the end users - pick your preference and carry on.

Thus far my ETS (6x22 and 2x15) and PMAGs (2x15 and 2x17) mags have been fine.

ad_infinitum
11-23-16, 23:52
What kind of spring does the 21 and the 27-round use, with how many coils?

Matt in TN
11-29-16, 21:02
This may have been covered before, but I've been using my 21 rd mags for awhile now. With factory ammo they were flawless. I just discovered that with my 147gr FMJ hand load at 1.168" OAL they will bind. This load works fine in factory 17rd magazines. It seems the Magpuls are VERY slightly shorter front to back on the inside dimensions.

I plan to take a little sandpaper to them and call it good - I just thought someone else might want to know.

ggammell
02-19-17, 11:56
Anyone have a picture of the 21 rounder next to the factory 17+2 extension?

Mooseknuckles comparison was a good start.

ad_infinitum
02-19-17, 19:09
These are great pics, thanks

I like the 21 round since it can take 20, a nice even number. A huge advantage over the 17-rounders with the +2 extension that ends up costing about $30 per magazine, OEM.

TAZ
02-20-17, 22:56
Just a further update on the 21 rd MP. I have about 8 of these in circulation as of this week. Have put about 1K rounds through them. Everything from Al case CCI to Fed HST. I have yet to run into a single failure that was mag related. Had a failure to feed from super soft OLD Monarch ammo and a few failures to lock back on the last round, again from the same soft batch of Monarch. On all occasions it was DEFINITIVE ammo issue. The FF was after a round so soft that I took the gun down to insure I didnt have a squib. Thankfully I am out of that date code ammo. 2 units are now part of my EDC.

Still no comparison to the ETS as I havent bought one yet.

WickedWillis
02-21-17, 12:54
Just a further update on the 21 rd MP. I have about 8 of these in circulation as of this week. Have put about 1K rounds through them. Everything from Al case CCI to Fed HST. I have yet to run into a single failure that was mag related. Had a failure to feed from super soft OLD Monarch ammo and a few failures to lock back on the last round, again from the same soft batch of Monarch. On all occasions it was DEFINITIVE ammo issue. The FF was after a round so soft that I took the gun down to insure I didnt have a squib. Thankfully I am out of that date code ammo. 2 units are now part of my EDC.

Still no comparison to the ETS as I havent bought one yet.

I ran mine again this weekend, and had zero issues as well. At this point, I would not hesitate to carry the 17, or 21rd as a primary or backup mag for my G19. I also bought a new 12-rd G26 magpul magazine yesterday (Voodoo's fault) that I plan on putting through it's paces before I decide to carry it. Fits the gun so well.

3ACR_Scout
02-26-17, 20:01
Anyone know if there is/what is the significance of the different floor angles on the mags? Going from a slight tilt (19/23/32) to severe tilt (17/22/31) to squared off (Magpul 21) to severe tilt again (31 round). Obviously the smaller ones square up against their respective firearms but is there any particular reason for the differences especially between the full size and compact magazines? Any Glock armorers have an opinion?
It seems to me, based on watching how the spring compresses inside a 31-round ETS magazine, that having the base plate perpendicular to the mag body (like the PMAG 21) will allow the spring to compress more evenly, compared to a magazine where the base plate is at an angle. Note that difference with the Glock 33-round magazine in the above photo, which has a +2 baseplate, compared to what it would look like if you put a standard base plate on it (making it a 31-round mag like the ETS version). The 33-round base is pretty much perpendicular to the body, like the PMAG 21. It seems like that would reduce the chances of the spring binding or getting misshapen over time. Anyway, that's not a scientific assessment, but the ETS mags are certainly interesting in the way that you can watch the spring compress and see how the angle of the floor affects it.

Personally I think these magazines (21rd PMAG and 22rd ETS) are about perfect for a reload on the body or to have a couple in a backpack - much more usable than the 33rd.
I just picked up a PMAG 21 for this reason. I have a few 33-rounders, and some ETS 31-rounders, but they're just kind of ridiculous in terms of real-world applications (if you don't have a G18 or a sub gun). The PMAG 21 only extends about 2 inches past the grip on a G19, which seems more reasonable for carrying as a spare in a bag, glove compartment, etc. I'm going to run it through its paces, along with a PMAG 15, and see how they function. I do like the additional holes in the PMAG 21 body.

I had put off buying any of these PMAG GL9s until now because I didn't feel the need to save a few bucks when I could get factory mags for around $19. I had also seen some early reviews indicating issues with these PMAGs. However, with Magpul offering some other sizes that aren't available from Glock, I'm willing to give them a try. It seems like no matter what the product, you can always find someone who says it was a complete failure for them, while others report it functioning flawlessly. You just have to try it for yourself eventually.

3ACR_Scout
03-06-17, 17:24
Finally had the chance to take the PMAG 21 to the range today. I put about 120 rounds through it (and another 50 or so through a PMAG 15). It functioned flawlessly, including after chambering a round, topping off the mag, and inserting it on a closed slide a couple times. It's tough to load to capacity - I was wishing I had brought my Glock mag loader thing - but it worked fine. On one occasion, I think the rounds stacked out of order, because I couldn't get the last round in, but I downloaded a few, and it worked the second time.

I'll probably pick up a few more of these and maybe a 27 to continue testing them. I'm pretty confident that these would be fine for defensive purposes - I'm sure Magpul has done extensive testing with them - but I'd like to shake them out a little more.