PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Custom... Browning Hi-Power

MountainRaven
01-18-16, 22:40
And the beat goes on... Nighthawk has decided to add slicked up Hi-Powers to their catalog.

Link (http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/browning-hi-power).

Most interestingly, is that they're not making their own frames, slides, or other parts (except, it appears, for the trigger and ignition parts) but appear to be modifying Browning-branded FN-manufactured Hi Powers.

Sensei
01-18-16, 22:49
And the beat goes on... Nighthawk has decided to add slicked up Hi-Powers to their catalog.

Link (http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/browning-hi-power).

Most interestingly, is that they're not making their own frames, slides, or other parts (except, it appears, for the trigger and ignition parts) but appear to be modifying Browning-branded FN-manufactured Hi Powers.

Beautiful gun...just not $3K beautiful.

TheChunkNorris
01-18-16, 23:04

I'd like to see/hear how well it shoots... Novak Hi-Powers are just as expensive too.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-18-16, 23:17
Hell yes! Very interesting. You just don't see as many awesome BHPs as you used to.

MountainRaven
11-15-16, 20:06
My LGS got one in recently. Anyone spend any time with one, yet?

ETA: I'll note that in handling the sample the LGS had, that it appears that NHC was unable to address the BHP's crappy (long, vague) trigger reset. Which is actually my biggest complaint about the stock BHP.

I noticed that the serial number had been relocated from the front strap of the grip to the right side of the dust cover and had an 'NHC' prefix. The rollmarks on the slide were also subtly different from the "standard" MkIII roll marks. Makes me think that BACO/FN is manufacturing and importing the pistols specifically for NHC.

Gun was tagged at ~$2900. I note that Rainier lists (what appears to be) the same pistol at $2750.

yugo308guy
11-15-16, 20:56
My LGS got one in recently. Anyone spend any time with one, yet?

ETA: I'll note that in handling the sample the LGS had, that it appears that NHC was unable to address the BHP's crappy (long, vague) trigger reset. Which is actually my biggest complaint about the stock BHP.

I noticed that the serial number had been relocated from the front strap of the grip to the right side of the dust cover and had an 'NHC' prefix. The rollmarks on the slide were also subtly different from the "standard" MkIII roll marks. Makes me think that BACO/FN is manufacturing and importing the pistols specifically for NHC.

Gun was tagged at ~$2900. I note that Rainier lists (what appears to be) the same pistol at $2750.

Funny you mention the trigger pull, I just received a used Hi Power that has a near perfect trigger. It is a custom by Jim Garthwaite and it has his complete fIre control system, to include his straight(er) trigger. I am absolutely amazed with this trigger! I have owned a Novak Hi Power, as well as a Novak Colt 1911, and this trigger honestly beats them both.

The take up is solid feeling, like a vault until it hits a solid wall that breaks perfectly crisp, I am guessing about 4.5-5lbs. But that's not even the amazing part yet, the reset is literally less than an eighth of an inch! It must have to due with the reduction of the curve of the trigger. I never thought a BHP trigger could be this good. As I said, I'm amazed!

It's the one on the left.

http://i64.tinypic.com/330bj38.jpgu

Evel Baldgui
11-16-16, 19:21

But it is $2k worth of beautiful :-)

yugo308guy
11-16-16, 19:23
But it is $2k worth of beautiful :-)

Just my personal opinion, but I think the beaver tail on a BHP does not enhance its beauty!

MountainRaven
11-16-16, 22:18
I think a beavertail would be OK, but the beavertails on BHPs tend to be quite long. And, yes, ugly.

yoni
11-17-16, 05:10
I have a Cylinder and Slide full house custom and a Novak Special Ops. I love them and I love the Hi Power it was my carry gun for years. Having said that I am loving my CZ P09, single action trigger is better than my custom Hi Powers and is just as accurate.

zachsm
11-18-16, 11:54
Here was my plan. I bought I nice used surplus, bought garthwaite trigger and hammer, EGW sear, heinie sights, and recrowned the barrel. Had someone locally trusted to do the sights, barrel, refinish.

http://i.imgur.com/D5Urbzq.jpg

This thing is pretty awesome.

zachsm
11-18-16, 12:10
I'd also like to add, DO NOT send your hipower to someone for action work without them having a specialization in it. Don Williams, EGW, Garthwaite and the like. Pistolsmiths Guild is the best place to look.

Here are some things I've learned from bad hi power work:

-NEVER bend a sear spring to get a lighter trigger pull
-sear/hammer engagement needs to be done in a jig, checked with a decent comparator or magnification
-Stock sear is garbage, no matter new or used.
-hi powers without firing pin block safeties will have a harder time getting a light trigger job. The sear transfer bar is held only with a pin. Once the gun locks up, it has a tendency to trip the sear, falling into half-cock.

G19A3
11-18-16, 20:07
I have no experience at all on Hi-Powers. What is that oval (racetrack-shaped) I see in pics of the right side of the frame above and ever so slightly to the rear of the trigger pin? NOT the oval (same racetrack shape, tho), in the slide on older versions of the gun.

Is that some sort of massive oval pin? There is no corresponding oval on the left side of the frame. Or is it some sort of casting flaw, as I see this oval in almost all pics of the Hi-Power.

Benito
11-18-16, 20:18
My time in the CF ruined the BHP for me.
Yeah, I know, they're using ancient beat up abused guns, but still, $3K for a BHP is not happening for this guy. $3K for any handgun isn't happening for me. That amount of money buys a quality modern service pistol (or two) and a lot of ammo. But to each their own.

m4brian
11-19-16, 08:58
I was fortunate enough to lick up a LNIB HP for a good price at a pawn shop. But... it took two trips to a well known 1911 smith with multiple certifications to get it right - now it has an excellent trigger. I WISH I had also swapped out the trigger - that flat one looks GREAT! I suppose that could drop into mine? Thanks.

Zachsm: Did you install all the parts yourself?

SE Flyer
11-19-16, 09:50
I have no experience at all on Hi-Powers. What is that oval (racetrack-shaped) I see in pics of the right side of the frame above and ever so slightly to the rear of the trigger pin? NOT the oval (same racetrack shape, tho), in the slide on older versions of the gun.

Is that some sort of massive oval pin? There is no corresponding oval on the left side of the frame. Or is it some sort of casting flaw, as I see this oval in almost all pics of the Hi-Power.

It's the locking cam. It's press fit flush and then finished. On both of my T series, you can just barely make it out.