PDA

View Full Version : Can handgun ammo "cook off" from a hot barrel?

black22rifle
01-19-16, 05:43
Is it possible for a handgun to cook off a round from a hot barrel? I always wondered about this while at the range. I usually shoot around 300 rounds when I go and at times I like to practice my draw from appendix. It makes me a little bit paranoid.

mack7.62
01-19-16, 06:10
If its hot enough to cook off a round it going to be way too hot to stick in an appendix holster, think glowing red barrel.

MegademiC
01-19-16, 08:15
I think you need sustained full auto to get it that hot. Ignition temp is around 500F so if it's below that, your safe. You can't get a pistol that hot shooting semi, and reloading.

Frailer
01-19-16, 14:56
Unless your handgun is belt fed, no.

Coal Dragger
01-19-16, 15:09
Even if you could get it hot enough to cook a round off, it would be too hot to hold onto with your dick beaters without burning the shit out of them.

So this seems to be a non issue to me.

jack crab
01-19-16, 16:17
There don't appear to be any cook offs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

669 nearly continuous rounds on a Glock 17 with full auto sear. Other stuff starts melting down first.

okie john
01-19-16, 16:25
In 6 1/2 years in active-duty SF units, I saw literally millions of rounds go downrange. I remember ONE cook-off out of all of those rounds. It was in a badly maintained Thai M-60 on a very hot day, and the round sat in the chamber due to a broken extractor for several minutes before it finally cooked off.

Okie John

GTF425
01-19-16, 16:33
Is it possible for a handgun to cook off a round from a hot barrel? I always wondered about this while at the range. I usually shoot around 300 rounds when I go and at times I like to practice my draw from appendix. It makes me a little bit paranoid.

Even in balls hot North Carolina summers shooting between 700-800 rounds and constantly holstering with a round in the chamber while I jam mags/tape targets/eat a sandwich, I have thankfully not blown my dick off from a round cooking off, nor have I ever seen a handgun actually cook a round off.

I'd be more concerned about burning said dick than anything else.

fedupflyer
01-20-16, 23:43
Slight hijack to the thread but....

Has anyone ever witnessed or seen the aftermath of an open breach detonation?

sandsunsurf
01-21-16, 16:31
There don't appear to be any cook offs here.

I think there is one at 4:40. His finger is off the trigger and it goes bang. I'm not a pro video reviewer and just watched it on an iPad, so I could be wrong. The video is fun to watch though! Thanks!

Stengun
01-21-16, 18:38
Howdy,

Might be possible with a Glock 18 and a dozen beta mags fired full auto.

Back in the "Day" I can remember rounds going supersonic when firing a suppressed MP-5 during weapons training. It usually happened after firing several mags pretty quick then letting a round sit in a hot chamber before firing it.

Paul

Auto-X Fil
01-21-16, 18:44
I think there is one at 4:40. His finger is off the trigger and it goes bang. I'm not a pro video reviewer and just watched it on an iPad, so I could be wrong. The video is fun to watch though! Thanks!

I just watched that a few times, and it's probably a cook-off. He was whacking the slide at the time, but I suspect it cooled off since if the striker assembly and safeties failed badly enough to send the firing pin home, it wouldn't have continued to run so well after.

voiceofreason
01-23-16, 08:26
have run many many mags through a G17 as fast as possible wearing gloves with the metal burning hot; didn't cook any off toward the end when hands were tired and slower

Ned Christiansen
01-23-16, 08:49
I agree, highly unlikely.

But I would not risk righty based on it..... why not err on the side of safety. Take a break and let it cool down.

EVR
01-23-16, 12:17
On range days with the pistol we have cook offs all the time!!

They just take place after shooting when me and the wife are comparing ideas on how long to leave the lamb chops, t-bones or pork ribs on the grill...

;)