PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Reciever End Plates?

RallySoob
08-13-08, 10:18
Where can I find an aftermarket Reciever end plate? I want something that looks more appealing than the standard cheap one.

markm
08-13-08, 10:23
Are you talking about the plate under the castle nut?

RallySoob
08-13-08, 10:33
Are you talking about the plate under the castle nut?

Refered to as a Backplate or an Endplate...

Right now I have the Magpul modular sling adapter end plate but recently changed sling config and will need to replace it with either the cheap original or was hoping to find a nice quality one

LOKNLOD
08-13-08, 10:34
Vltor has these, if you're really needing a fancy one.
http://www.vltor.com/images/showSASE.jpg

MisterWilson
08-13-08, 10:38
Also, while not advertised, I believe that they have the standard ones (without the sling attachement) available too. A friend of mine received one when he bought the entire stock assembly so they must exist.

Stickman
08-13-08, 11:39
Where can I find an aftermarket Reciever end plate? I want something that looks more appealing than the standard cheap one.

The Vltor is nice, as is the Daniel Defense. DD makes a few different ones, here is the QD socket variant.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./IMG_6686%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

RallySoob
08-13-08, 12:02
The Vltor is nice, as is the Daniel Defense. DD makes a few different ones, here is the QD socket variant.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./IMG_6686%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

cool thanks. I already have the magpul modular with HK hook so any backplate with a hook isn't needed. Im running QD now so the DD backplatemay work. I will ask Vltor about their backplate 1st and let you guys know. it looks really nice and would match my Vltor upper...

RallySoob
08-13-08, 12:16
"I would like a Vltor Back plate without any sling attachment hooks. (same layout as factory back plate) Do you have these available for sale? I was told they exist but I am unable to find them on your website. Please let me know asap as I would like to order it today before the mail goes out.

Thanks, Sam"

Vltor Replies:

"Dear Sam,

They do indeed exist. Just give us a call at the office and I'll be happy to take your order. Please ask for part number V2-1069-M1 when ordering, it should be ~$5 + S&H.

If there's anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to ask.
Thank you for using VLTOR,"

spamsammich
08-13-08, 12:26
They most definitely do exist. They come with the full stock kits, I have 2 of them in use right now. They seem to be a little thinner in diameter than other plates or maybe Vltor uses a slightly bigger diameter castle nut because they don't stake like others. I find I have to work a little harder to get a good amount of metal into the notches.

austinN4
08-13-08, 12:33
A big plus 1 on the DD with QD socket. Much better than running the sling on the butt stock and looks good, too!

RallySoob
08-13-08, 13:54
A big plus 1 on the DD with QD socket. Much better than running the sling on the butt stock and looks good, too!

well you talked me into it. I got both coming now...

Ridge_Runner_5
08-13-08, 14:48
I did the single point sling for a while...ended up tired of it, because my stature made it so I had to bundle up several inches of excess after I got it to fit me...sold the sling and backplate, and picked up your standard endplate...Ive got a CTR on it now, so I have more sling attachment options that I could ever use...

austinN4
08-13-08, 14:59
I did the single point sling for a while...ended up tired of it, because my stature made it so I had to bundle up several inches of excess after I got it to fit me...sold the sling and backplate, and picked up your standard endplate...Ive got a CTR on it now, so I have more sling attachment options that I could ever use...
Although the DD QD backplate can be used with a single point, I run it with a VCAS 2 point attached to the backplate and to the rear QD socket on my Omega. I, too, have a CTR, but prefer the QD on the backplate.

RallySoob
08-13-08, 15:00

Single point put too much presure on one of my left shoulder/neck muscle and caused heavy strain after about 4 miles of hiking.

Now I run the Vickers QD on the CTR and the Fore Rail but I believe adding a 3rd point to attach the sling would only make the gun more versatile. I'll be running all 3...

MisterWilson
08-13-08, 15:10
I'm nothing more than a chairborne commando but it's been my experience that for a single point sling to be worthwhile the rifle's got to be very light & very short.

On my friend's 7.5 it was perfect. On my 14.5 it was awful. On my 10.5 with a KX3 & LMT SOPMOD stock it wasn't much better. Since losing the Pig & getting a shorter stock it's been tempting.

RallySoob
08-13-08, 15:12
I'm nothing more than a chairborne commando but it's been my experience that for a single point sling to be worthwhile the rifle's got to be very light & very short.

On my friend's 7.5 it was perfect. On my 14.5 it was awful. On my 10.5 with a KX3 & LMT SOPMOD stock it wasn't much better. Since losing the Pig & getting a shorter stock it's been tempting.

very true. Wish someone would had informed me sooner... I'm saving the setup for an AR pistol or SBR if I ever get around to building one

Note: See how the pad wears hard against the neck muscle?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/myCoyoteShot_20080323.jpg

silver05
08-13-08, 15:49
Unless you're a lefty, you are wearing the sling on the wrong side............

RallySoob
08-13-08, 15:53
Unless you're a lefty, you are wearing the sling on the wrong side............

hmm, I don't see how that could be right. I'm right handed so the gun hangs on my right side... how's that bad?

here's another shot of it hang'n. u sure I have it on wrong?

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/today.jpg

Edit:

Ok, I see now. Check out my Snowman. He is the only one that knows how to wear it right...
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/rmabosnowmanpose.jpg

MisterWilson
08-13-08, 16:13
Another consideration is that you've got the Troy single point.

I love Troy's products but their sling wasn't a good match for me. Meanwhile my friend with the 7.5" had this bungie-style sling that was PERFECT, I just haven't been able to find out what it was ever since...

LOKNLOD
08-13-08, 16:13
hmm, I don't see how that could be right. I'm right handed so the gun hangs on my right side... how's that bad?

Ultimately it's a "what works for you" thing but I'm a righty, and I wear my Troy sling with my head and left arm through the loop. If i drop my carbine, it falls mostly to the middle of my body, slightly to the left. That makes sure my right arm is clear for drawing my handgun. If I control it with my left hand as I let it down (while my right hand is headed for the draw), I can guide it and "roll" the carbine so that it hangs on my left side, top towards my front (pistol grip pointing behind me) with the sling strap coming up between the pistol grip and buttstock. This sort of "pins" the carbine against my left side and lets me move around without an alternating rhythm of butt-stock to the chin and muzzle strikes the the groin. And assuming your just drew your pistol in a rifle fight, mobility is good.

It's hard to describe, but try it, and play around with it.

spamsammich
08-13-08, 16:15
I find having it hang down to the right makes for an messy transition to my pistol. I suppose it's alright if you never need to go to the sidearm. Personally, I have a really difficult time using a single point, I'm short and we cannot have SBRs in Washington state.

RallySoob
08-13-08, 16:19
Ultimately it's a "what works for you" thing but I'm a righty, and I wear my Troy sling with my head and left arm through the loop. If i drop my carbine, it falls mostly to the middle of my body, slightly to the left. That makes sure my right arm is clear for drawing my handgun. If I control it with my left hand as I let it down (while my right hand is headed for the draw), I can guide it and "roll" the carbine so that it hangs on my left side, top towards my front (pistol grip pointing behind me) with the sling strap coming up between the pistol grip and buttstock. This sort of "pins" the carbine against my left side and lets me move around without an alternating rhythm of butt-stock to the chin and muzzle strikes the the groin. And assuming your just drew your pistol in a rifle fight, mobility is good.

It's hard to describe, but try it, and play around with it.

I have experimented with it a bit and I know exactly what your talking about. The gun swings too much on the single point. The reason I went with the vickers is to keep it nice and tight against my body plus it wears nice across my back. The 1st sling I ever bought was a 3 point and it was probably the most comfortable, tightest fitting I have ever had. I gave it to my friend recently though as he was slingless & it's not really tactikool either, here's a pic.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198/RallySoob/0719081438.jpg

LOKNLOD
08-13-08, 16:26
I have experimented with it a bit and I know exactly what your talking about. The gun swings too much on the single point. The reason I went with the vickers

Gotcha, I didn't catch that you'd went to the Vickers sling...I'm going to try one of those as soon as I finish building my lower and have the spot to attach it.

Ridge_Runner_5
08-13-08, 17:12
I'll be getting the padded sling in short order...