PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Safety Selector Switch - why?

RallySoob
08-13-08, 10:30
I noticed some people are running these. They look really nice, how do they function? for $50 it should do something

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26528

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/452000043.jpg

RallySoob
08-14-08, 14:57
so no1 knows anything about this? I ordered it cuz it looks kool, but wondering whats so great about it :o

markm
08-14-08, 15:06
I've never found the original safety to be anything short of perfect. And I don't like adding anything with screws/nuts/bolts if it can be avoided.

That thing has two hex screws which translates to me into two more potential things to come loose when I don't want them to.

This thing looks like something out of KNS's line of nonsense.

Fringe
08-14-08, 15:53
I've never found the original safety to be anything short of perfect. And I don't like adding anything with screws/nuts/bolts if it can be avoided.

That thing has two hex screws which translates to me into two more potential things to come loose when I don't want them to.

Just what I was thinking.

RallySoob
08-14-08, 15:59
Just what I was thinking.

oh, spectacular... I think I just bought the whole line of KNS non-sense:o

KNS anti rotational pins, push-button pivot pins, perma pin, and stainless trigger/hammer pins all on the way along with the JP safety. I seen the safety on one of Stickmans guns I believe, that's what got me hooked. so blame it on him... Actually, I think alot of his pics got me into this frenzy I'm in today

Lumpy196
08-14-08, 16:21
The description clears up the thinking behind it:

"Easy-to-install, reversible safety selector ensures ultra-reliable engagement and eliminates the time-consuming job of “fitting the safety” to a factory or aftermarket trigger—the perfect upgrade to accompany a J.P. Enterprises Adjustable Trigger. Eliminates the risk of damaging the trigger during fitting and shortens installation time by as much as one-third. An adjustment screw on the selector drum lets you quickly and easily set the correct trigger/safety relationship to completely block trigger movement when the selector is set to “safe.” A second screw inside the drum ensures the adjustment screw stays locked in place."

Can't see much purpose for it beyond that. I certainly wouldn't install one on one of mine if it were for serious use.

markm
08-14-08, 16:26
Can't see much purpose for it beyond that. I certainly wouldn't install one on one of mine if it were for serious use.

Yeah. Some of these things have value on competition guns, but no business on fighting guns.

AMMOTECH
08-14-08, 16:32
Yeah. Some of these things have value on competition guns, but no business on fighting guns.

+1

All the cash that is spent on useless/worthless crap could go toward ammo & training.

Of course I've spent money on my AR for cosmetic items (Magpul Stock & Trigger guard) we all have but some stuff is better just left alone. Save your cash, train and replace the stuff that brakes or wears out.

RallySoob
08-14-08, 16:50

Really? You can tell that without even using it...? What if it actually stays together as well as a 1 piece? I guess I'll be the tester... I'll let you guys know if it ever comes apart on me. I doubt it will though, at $50 it better not... (yes, I am running out of things to customize)

Solid
08-14-08, 23:46
I'm guessing the reason is to remove the slight play in the trigger while on "safe". Has this ever caused an issue? Who tries to fire with the safety on?

Warrior
08-15-08, 01:28

LOL:D:D:D I concur

Robb Jensen
08-15-08, 06:55
They do make fitting a match trigger quicker for install on some guns.
They're also good for lefties who don't want an ambi-safety because they don't like how the opposite lever hits their hand.

billybronco
08-15-08, 08:14
i just ordered one of these myself for my new build.

i was initially concerned about the extra pieces parts and i agree with everybody.....adding more parts when they're not necessary is kind of asinine. i'm gonna plug the threads on each screw with some blue locktite. if the things comes loose, i'm putting an old school selector back on the gun.

RallySoob
08-15-08, 08:27
i just ordered one of these myself for my new build.

i was initially concerned about the extra pieces parts and i agree with everybody.....adding more parts when they're not necessary is kind of asinine. i'm gonna plug the threads on each screw with some blue locktite. if the things comes loose, i'm putting an old school selector back on the gun.

i might play it safe with some red loc-tite

billybronco
08-15-08, 12:25
true......i wonder if the selector has to be disassembled in order to be removed though.