PDA

View Full Version : First bolt gun. Remington 700 dos varmint .223

Bradh90
01-20-16, 12:37
I've been wanting to get into bolt guns for quite a while and I finally made the jump and picked one up. I went with the .223 to start out with a cheaper round and learn the basics before moving up to something larger. This is a temporary setup for this rifle. I have a few options for optics in mind but was wondering what's the best option for aftermarket stocks. I've been looking at the magpul hunter as a lower prices option but also a few of the Bell and Carson stocks. Any info you guys may have for me will be greatly appreciated. Also here's the rifle as it sits now. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160120/6d3d49bc85c070019727ecffbded7fdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pyrotechnic
01-20-16, 17:48
I have heard decent things about the Bell and Carlson stocks but have no first hand experience with them. I do have two friends with the xlr element chassis system. I've been impressed with them and it would be a good low cost option if you want a DBM with good mags. I think accurate mags make .223 AI pattern magazines.

Ned Christiansen
01-20-16, 18:24
They are OEM stocks for some of the higher-end Remington models these days, where Remington used to use HS Precision stocks. I don't know when they changed suppliers but in my limited experience they are very similar, having used a sum total of one of each.

I would have no compunctions about using the B&C stock in the case of wanting to keep the cost of accuracy within reason.... given that you can spend twice to 3X the cost of your rifle on a higher-end stock. And without spending a similar amount on all the other stuff (primo barrel, action work, etc.), I doubt that a better stock would get you better results.

My latest article in SWAT Magazine mentions the B&C stocks-- Feb. 2016 issue, on the stands now.

Auto-X Fil
01-20-16, 19:00
I recently grabbed a Choate tactical and have been impressed with it. I paid $200, which I think officially makes it the best deal in stocks. They have CHEAP accessories, too. Spacers for LOP adjustment are $5 and come with screws. Cheek pieces are $12. You know, how much molded plastic should cost.

Pappabear
01-20-16, 23:38
Go to Stocky Stocks web site and look around. The HS AND B&C stocks can be had pretty cheap. And a nice upgrade from what you have. I've not seen that magpul in person, but looks decent.

You also have to decide on tactical or hunting like you have. Good luck.

Vegas
01-21-16, 01:28
I bought my B&C A2 stock from Red Hawk Rifles and have been completely satisfied with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My groups came down .25MOA after switching out the stock from the Hogue it came with.

wilson1911
01-21-16, 06:40
I have an xlr element which I love, but I would go shoot it some and just save for a bit. Maybe shoot some of your friends guns that have different stocks. You will make a better choice that way. Put a jewel trigger in it for now and call it good. Go shoot and have fun.

Are you going to be reloading for it ?

Boxerglocker
01-21-16, 11:09
I have a both a .223 SPS Tactical and .308 AAC-SD, did the same as the OP for the same reasons. When I got the .223 put it in a B&C Tactical Medalist but didn't want to fork out another $300-400 to set up a detachable magazine system at this time. Now I have the 308 AAC-SD is sitting in a FDE Magpul Hunter 700 right now to try out ($288 shipped with the magwell kit from DSG). I'm going to play PRS this season locally to see if it something I want to really invest in versus 3Gun but already thinking of eventually (when funds allow) getting a dedicated chassis for the .308 and using the Magpul without the magwell for the .223

Bradh90
01-21-16, 15:51
Thanks for all the input guys. Even though the price point is a little better on the magpul stock I think I'm a little more swayed to the B&C. All the reviews I've been reading etc are pushing me that direction and then adding adjustable cheek rest. This will be a fun project and will keep you all updated with the build and also shooting progress of my first bolt gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk