PDA

View Full Version : First can

Lee Indy
01-21-16, 08:08
Im in the market for a can. I finally received back my first SBR stamp and am currently waiting on another one.
In the mean time I'm looking for a can.

I was eyeballing the gemtech trek that phoenix distributors seems to have a ton of. Price is awesome which is a concern as im on a budget.
Anything worth a damn in the 500$ range.
Im okay with direct thread. QD seems to add alot of length and weight but im new to this so any insight would be great.

domestique
01-21-16, 08:35
I personally like QD cans. Less chance of it loosening up on recoil (baffle strikes), and if you have a brake on it can act as a sacrificial blast baffle. I only use direct thread of weight and length ate of the upmost importance.

Do you have any 308 rifles or only suppressing 5.56?

First thing to do is make a list of your priorities in a suppressor.

Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important).

-Mount/locking mechsnism
-POI shift
-Accuracy
-Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
-Signature (flash etc.)
-Durability
-Customer service/support
-Weight
-db reduction
-Price
-If the cool kids are running these

Lee Indy
01-21-16, 08:45
I personally like QD cans. Less chance of it loosening up on recoil (baffle strikes), and if you have a brake on it can act as a sacrificial blast baffle. I only use direct thread of weight and length ate of the upmost importance.

Do you have any 308 rifles or only suppressing 5.56?
I'm planning a 308 bolt build but have no intention of building anything past 5.56 on the ar platform. it was my impression that a 7.62 can would work but doesnt reduce 5.56 as well.

First thing to do is make a list of your priorities in a suppressor.

Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important).

Reorganized to my priorities.

1-Durability
2-Price
3-POI shift
4-Accuracy
5-Mount/locking mechanism
6-Customer service/support
7-Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
8-Signature (flash etc.)
9-Weight
10-db reduction
??-If the cool kids are running these (no ****s given here)

Answered and changed the list to my priorities.

domestique
01-21-16, 08:54
308 cans actually supressor pretty good, but at the cost of length and weight.

With price being a big factor I would look at the Trek (like you already mentioned), and Griffin's Spartan (if going direct thread). If you want QD, look at the Specwar 556K which is a LOT more durable then the 2 previous mentioned suppressors.

The 30 caliber dark horse would be Silencerco's Omega. It's 300 dollars more, but would give you a 6" direct thread suppressor (with flat end cap), and be able to be used in your 308 bolt gun as well.

Auto-X Fil
01-21-16, 08:58
Direct thread is really best for a semi-permanent mount. You don't want it loosening up on you, so it should be Rocksett.

The Trek is loud as heck, but tiny. It's a niche can that would be awesome on a 12.5 or 14.5" gun, pinned and welded to avoid an SBR stamp, and thus letting you travel freely with a suppressed, short AR with no form 20.

If you want to share the can between platforms, and POI shift matters, you might want to step up to a SpecWar. It's heavier than the Omega, but cheaper and more durable. The 7.62 version is very quiet on 5.56, but real heavy and long, so consider that carefully. SilencerCo support is excellent.

Lee Indy
01-21-16, 09:02
I saw where there was a can with a interchangeable cap for 7.62 to 5.56 is that a thing?

domestique
01-21-16, 09:03
I saw where there was a can with a interchangeable cap for 7.62 to 5.56 is that a thing?

Yes, the Silencerco Omega I suggested, and Silencerco's Saker also can change end caps.

Lee Indy
01-21-16, 09:49
my buddy who is LE is on my trust with me and he picked up a 556 saker K and loves it.

Lee Indy
01-21-16, 10:01
the gemtech trek can be had for 350ish off GB. is it really that loud?

Rayrevolver
01-21-16, 12:30
the gemtech trek can be had for 350ish off GB. is it really that loud?

A Saker K on an 11.5" meters at 141 db and is a similar size to the Trek.

I snagged a Trek from Phoenix on GB, $315 shipped. You might get lucky, looks like they are selling them 1 at a time now. Video below is a guy shooting my Trek. Ammo was PPU 223 69gr Match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcsRjZk-df8

I have a big 30cal suppressor that is more quiet with 5.56 but its also 9.25" compared to the little Trek.

GrahamKAC
01-21-16, 22:49
Very pleased with my $295 Trek from Gunbroker. It pretty much permanently resides on a 12" gun. I can't tell a difference between it and my AAC 556 SD, other than it's about an inch shorter and overall a few ounces lighter as I'm no longer using a QD mount. People often forget to factor in the additional weight of the required QD mount when comparing QD cans between one another.

Lee Indy
01-22-16, 07:18
Very pleased with my $295 Trek from Gunbroker. It pretty much permanently resides on a 12" gun. I can't tell a difference between it and my AAC 556 SD, other than it's about an inch shorter and overall a few ounces lighter as I'm no longer using a QD mount. People often forget to factor in the additional weight of the required QD mount when comparing QD cans between one another.

Any issues with the goof balls doing the transfer?

mk3mark
01-22-16, 08:11
If you want a can that cover's pretty much every platform, both Griffin and Silencerco have some new stuff coming out.

Lee Indy
01-22-16, 08:12
If you want a can that cover's pretty much every platform, both Griffin and Silencerco have some new stuff coming out.

where would i find the info on these. Still new to the NFA stuff so bear with me

mk3mark
01-22-16, 08:16
where would i find the info on these. Still new to the NFA stuff so bear with me

You can check out their websites for one.

Military Arms Channel on youtube has a good video of the Griffin Armament universal suppressor. I'm sure there is another video going over the Silencerco offering too.

Here is the MAC video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KfGPM-cJc

Rayrevolver
01-22-16, 13:10

I bought mine on 6/10 from Phoenix. Form 3 was filled 6/15 which was great. I did have to call/email to snag the serial number so I could start the F4 immediately.

The Optimus/Hybrid are nice but possibly out of your budget. The right answer might be to wait until you can afford one.

My next suppressor will cover 22LR and 9mm, so I am looking at the new smaller convertible suppressors, to include the Rugged Obsidian, Revo 9, etc.

GrahamKAC
01-22-16, 17:52

No issues to speak of. The form 3 from Phoenix to my SOT actually took less than two weeks to clear, had the can in hand twelve days after payment. Have others had issues with Phoenix?

Pappabear
01-30-16, 01:00
You can buy AAC cans for $650, M4 2000. That Gemtech is cheap though. But you are going to have it a long time. with prices dropping on the AAC cans, I plan to buy another or two. I do hear good things about the saker. Buy quality of you can. Some folks charge for transfer, its best to buy the can in state if you can.

good luck.

Lee Indy
01-30-16, 05:54
I'm now eyeing the hybrid. If I can get my paper work in before July it'll probably be the last nfa item I do. They really ****ed up the trusts with this last batch of BD

Brahmzy
01-30-16, 08:22
Omega 30.

JPB
01-30-16, 11:46
You can buy AAC cans for $650, M4 2000. That Gemtech is cheap though. But you are going to have it a long time. with prices dropping on the AAC cans, I plan to buy another or two. I do hear good things about the saker. Buy quality of you can. Some folks charge for transfer, its best to buy the can in state if you can.

good luck.

Precisely. I recently picked up an 762SDN-6 and an M4-2000. $650 and $600 respectively. All the things that made them great cans 3-4 years ago are still true today (quiet, durable stack), it's just that the market has caught up to them and in some ways surpassed them in the areas of mounting and features (more "configurable"). Yeah, I know that the 51T latch may wear (I've been told that it was just a "bad batch", but I don't know), but the problem is well understood and has a solid mitigation (hold the latch open while spinning it on). If it wiggles a little, I don't care, it was designed that way. I don't hear complaints about the KAC NT-4. At least I'll be able to get it off the gun at the end of the day. I see them as good options for blasters (Mk18s and such). Precision, I'd look elsewhere.

I've got a Saker 762 as well. The Saker MAAD mount gets frozen on the end of guns with regularity. I've been told that if you apply a release agent (anti seize) to the muzzle device prior to use, it'll come off as designed. I'm not into having to "treat" my muzzle device prior to use so I switched to the ASR mount. So far so good. Other than that, I've got no complaints, great can.

mk3mark
01-30-16, 12:39
Precisely. I recently picked up an 762SDN-6 and an M4-2000. $650 and $600 respectively. All the things that made them great cans 3-4 years ago are still true today (quiet, durable stack), it's just that the market has caught up to them and in some ways surpassed them in the areas of mounting and features (more "configurable"). Yeah, I know that the 51T latch may wear (I've been told that it was just a "bad batch", but I don't know), but the problem is well understood and has a solid mitigation (hold the latch open while spinning it on). If it wiggles a little, I don't care, it was designed that way. I don't hear complaints about the KAC NT-4. At least I'll be able to get it off the gun at the end of the day. I see them as good options for blasters (Mk18s and such). Precision, I'd look elsewhere.

I've got a Saker 762 as well. The Saker MAAD mount gets frozen on the end of guns with regularity. I've been told that if you apply a release agent (anti seize) to the muzzle device prior to use, it'll come off as designed. I'm not into having to "treat" my muzzle device prior to use so I switched to the ASR mount. So far so good. Other than that, I've got no complaints, great can.

I'll be honest. AAC's mounting is the one reason i disregarded them (knowing tons of people run them). It was a mental thing for me I didn't want bothering me. My recce 7 mod 3 was $700 from copper custom and I honestly I'm an nfa newbie, Completely and utterly satisfied with everything about it. There are tons of good cans out there. Each one has something you may like more than other mfg. Just do your research like I did and settle on whatever you think is best.

JPB
01-30-16, 13:36
I'll be honest. AAC's mounting is the one reason i disregarded them (knowing tons of people run them). It was a mental thing for me I didn't want bothering me. My recce 7 mod 3 was $700 from copper custom and I honestly I'm an nfa newbie, Completely and utterly satisfied with everything about it. There are tons of good cans out there. Each one has something you may like more than other mfg. Just do your research like I did and settle on whatever you think is best.

I hear you. I bought the Saker first thinking that it may be my only rifle can.

Lee Indy
01-30-16, 15:43
I'm now torn between hybrid and omega

Brahmzy
01-30-16, 15:50
Omega is still the better choice for 30Cal and 5.56. ONLY do a Hybrid if you ONLY plan on EVER doing 1 can, which is silly. Deep down you know you'll do more than one.
Omega 30 for .308,300BLK,5.56 - best option.

Lee Indy
01-30-16, 15:53
Why is it better

jstalford
01-30-16, 16:39
The hybrid is big enough for .45. The omega only for .30. So it will perform better on the calibers you intend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Indy
01-30-16, 16:58
Will the omega run a 7mm mag

ToeTagger6552
02-01-16, 14:18
I went with the Griffin Recce 7 for POI shift, repeatability, suppression, and price. Don't have it yet and the wait will be torturous!!!!

Lee Indy
02-01-16, 14:25
I'm now in love with the Optimus but my guy isn't a dealer

thei3ug
02-01-16, 14:32
The hybrid is big enough for .45. The omega only for .30. So it will perform better on the calibers you intend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hybrid has 30% more internal volume than the Omega. I'm curious what role that will play with sub-optimal calibers.

jack crab
02-01-16, 16:58
I did my initial purchases of .22 rimfire, 5.56, .308, and 9mm cans as direct thread.

With the upcoming rules changes for trusts, I figured I would go back and fill in gaps with a QD can or two.

This past weekend I ended up buying the Silencerco Omega. It is a pretty neat set up. Both ends of the suppressor unscrew. So, it is a modular system for both 5.56 and .308.

You can screw in a direct thread end or a QD end. On the firearm, you can leave the muzzle as thread only, or get a muzzle device. They come in both flashhiders and compensators. The Omega comes with both ends and a .308 brake. I bought a separate 5.56 flash hider.

At the exit end of the can, you can use either a flat end or a brake. The suppressor comes set up for 5/8x24 (.308), but 5.56 diameter ends are available accessories.

The Omega also has some titanium, which helps with weight. And, it is rated up to .300 WM.

Hopefully, it will be fun this summer when it gets sprung from NFA jail.