PDA

View Full Version : Knob Creek Gun Range - Hotel Advice Sought

ex95B10
01-21-16, 13:19
I'll be going to the Knob Creek Gun Range Machine Gun Shoot (http://www.knobcreekrange.com/events/featured-events/machine-gun-shoot) in April for the first time ever and I would love to hear some opinions from those that have previously attended on where to stay, what to see and do.
I'm looking for a nice hotel/motel that is clean and close to KCR that won't break the bank and good places to eat near by.

http://youtu.be/h11uEvGc7u8

austinN4
01-21-16, 13:40
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Hotels+near+knob+creek+gun+range

You can see individual reviews on Tripadvisor.

ex95B10
01-21-16, 13:57
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Hotels+near+knob+creek+gun+range

You can see individual reviews on Tripadvisor.Been there done that.. I want REAL opinions from fellow shooters that have attended this event, Not ma and pa from Nebraska on a road trip with their poodle spiffy.
Trip Advisor is a decent tool but it doesn't tell you if it's walking distance from the range or if they have other amenities that would cater to the gun range crowd like shuttle service to the range and back.

GH41
01-21-16, 14:37
What do you call breaking the bank? The only Hotel I saw on KCR site I would trust sight unseen was the Hampton Inn. I too don't trust the reviews online. I wouldn't trust recommendations by anyone here that I didn't know personally either! Clean is in the eye of the beholder! My wife and I have never had a problem with the many Hampton Inns we've stayed in across the country and were pretty picky.

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-16, 15:54
My wife and I always take our own pillows w/ cases and our own sheet sets. Plus Clorox wipes to wipe down EVERYTHING in the room and bathroom.

Oh, and NEVER use the glasses and or mugs provided in any hotel/motel room by the ice bucket and coffee pot.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-21-16, 16:22
There are no hotels within walking distance. They were letting people camp there, but I'm not sure if they're still doing that.
I never eat near there, but usually buy food at the creek while I'm there. One place I like to stop at is Biff's gun world. It's ran by the old man of the family that owns knob creek. It's like revisiting the 1990s in there. Norinco, polytech, and russian stuff that I haven't seen in a long time. Plus you get to dig through crap. Some of that stuff has probably been covered for 20 years. I'm planning on going in April as well.
Bring lots of cash, hearing protection, and a small backpack to the shoot. The gun show underneath the pole barn is awesome.

GH41
01-21-16, 17:46
My wife and I always take our own pillows w/ cases and our own sheet sets. Plus Clorox wipes to wipe down EVERYTHING in the room and bathroom.

Oh, and NEVER use the glasses and or mugs provided in any hotel/motel room by the ice bucket and coffee pot.

What's the chance the maid wiped down the bathroom countertop with the same rag she used to clean the pee dribble off of the toilet rim? Do you remember when the ice machines were just boxes with a door. The bins were the perfect height for a drunk teenaged boy to piss in. Don't ask me how I know!

JackFanToM
01-21-16, 18:08

Ummm please stop passing along mis-information. This type of generalization is the stuff that creates unnecessary guest drama. I run 2 hotels, and I guarantee my cups and glasses are more sanitary than yours at home! Ours are run thru a commercial dishwasher at 180 degrees, and then pulled out and sani-caps are popped on, racked and sent to rooms. Areas people should pay attention to in hotels...even nice ones, are remote controls and light switches (we have a system where we hit all light switches and remotes 2 x a week with 99% isopropyl alcohol).

In regards to beds, bedbugs are an issue. Hotels aren't built with them, so they are brought by guests. Staff are trained to look and to be vigilant of signs, but these are tiny creatures that hide. Pick up the corners of your mattress, and look in the mattress and boxspring corner seams for stains or bugs (NOT LINT!!!! due to mis-information I have been called to rooms by guests countless times, for lint). Sheets are easy to spot if they are from the previous guest, and if you find that, check out and never return! No your electronic keycard does not have any personal info on it, it doesn't even have your name. Yes it costs the hotels a lot of money to replace stained and stolen linen. Please do not use towels to clean up spills, hair dye, wipe mud from boots, or do anything that you would not like close to your face. Treat furniture, carpet, and equipment as you would in your own home (we find it very annoying when a guest tracks 50 yards of muddy footprints through our carpeted hallways, and they hate getting the cleaning bill). Tipping a housekeeper is essential ($1 a day is considered normal). They will remember you, and you will get better service, you also promote better service in a very tough job. Do not smoke in a non-smoking room...it really costs the hotel in excess of the $250 to remove the smell.

Sorry to rant, but it is hard to hear the stuff people think and say in regards to my industry.

ex95B10
01-21-16, 20:02
Bring lots of cash, hearing protection, and a small backpack to the shoot. The gun show underneath the pole barn is awesome.
I understand the part about bringing lots of cash and hearing protection but I'm not quite clear on what the backpack is for.
If the backpack is for potential purchases then I'm going to need a couple large military duffel bags. ;)

Sent from my  iPhone 6 plus and posted via Tapatalk.

SurplusShooter
01-21-16, 20:16
I went to Knob Creek last year (my 1st time).
If you want to do the "woods walk" with the full-auto toys, make sure you sign-up early it fills up fast. A backpack is nice to carry stuff: water and snacks in, and small purchases out. mostly I purchased food at the show but it was hit or miss bring some snacks incase it doesn't match your tastes. Bring wipes and/or hand sanitizer, most bathroom facilities are port-a-potty's.

The range ~25 minutes from the nearest town (at least the way I went). There are no really "close" hotels, all require a drive. Hotels filed-up by the time I booked my room, closest I could get at an affordable price was Super 8 Elizabethtown. Older hotel, it was very basic, but nothing bad to report.

Map it out ahead of time. For some reason my smartphone map took me up the "back side" of the mountain to get there and there was no cell-phone service for a good ways of the drive up the mountain (translation: map apps that rely on cell-phone data service will break-down there).

My cell phone had only basic service/signal once there (not fast data). There is a line of cars to get-in in the morning. Get there early and Be patient. Don't forget where you parked , its a sea of cars out there.

Most things I saw for sale were typical gun-show overpriced; but the volume of stuff there makes it more likely to find the occasional good deal. ammo cans were plentiful, and considering shipping costs on ammo cans it's a good way to stock-up , especially on the really big or odd-sized cans.

Also fun to "people watch", my favorite was the guy walking around selling some sort of AR-15 lowers (80%?) he has them strung around his shoulder on a rope with a cardboard sign.

I had a blast. Enjoy!

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-16, 23:14
Ummm please stop passing along mis-information. This type of generalization is the stuff that creates unnecessary guest drama. I run 2 hotels, and I guarantee my cups and glasses are more sanitary than yours at home! Ours are run thru a commercial dishwasher at 180 degrees, and then pulled out and sani-caps are popped on, racked and sent to rooms.

Ummm well it's not "misinformation" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnO8vy7Q_k

. . . or a "generalization" for that matter, all one has to do is perform a simply Google search on hotel cleanliness (or the lack there of) for an eye opening albeit grotesque education. And as for as "more sanitary that mine at home", I'm OCD when it comes to anything in my home but especially our dishes and food prep areas. It is as if my son's bottles come from a NASA cleanroom.

Areas people should pay attention to in hotels...even nice ones, are remote controls and light switches (we have a system where we hit all light switches and remotes 2 x a week with 99% isopropyl alcohol).

In regards to beds, bedbugs are an issue. Hotels aren't built with them, so they are brought by guests. Staff are trained to look and to be vigilant of signs, but these are tiny creatures that hide. Pick up the corners of your mattress, and look in the mattress and boxspring corner seams for stains or bugs (NOT LINT!!!! due to mis-information I have been called to rooms by guests countless times, for lint). Sheets are easy to spot if they are from the previous guest, and if you find that, check out and never return! No your electronic keycard does not have any personal info on it, it doesn't even have your name. Yes it costs the hotels a lot of money to replace stained and stolen linen. Please do not use towels to clean up spills, hair dye, wipe mud from boots, or do anything that you would not like close to your face. Treat furniture, carpet, and equipment as you would in your own home (we find it very annoying when a guest tracks 50 yards of muddy footprints through our carpeted hallways, and they hate getting the cleaning bill). Tipping a housekeeper is essential ($1 a day is considered normal). They will remember you, and you will get better service, you also promote better service in a very tough job. Do not smoke in a non-smoking room...it really costs the hotel in excess of the $250 to remove the smell.

Sorry to rant, but it is hard to hear the stuff people think and say in regards to my industry.

No need to apologize for your rant but don't accuse me of spreading misinformation when I have had horrible hotel experiences and say "its hard to hear the stuff people think about your industry", see linked news footage above. I have no doubt as a proprietor you run a tight ship but you can't say that for everyone else in your industry. Though I cannot be sure I have ever stayed in one of your establishments I treat all hotel/motel/cabins the with the same caution. For all I know an hour before I check into a given room the minimum wage earning immigrant cleaning lady just tidied up from a swingers orgy the night before, gross.

The Clorox wipes I bring are used not just on counter tops but also light switches, TV remotes, towel racks, faucet handles, toilet, et al. I do the same in hospital rooms. I can't tell you how many times I've seen dried blood on hospital and ambulance bed/stretchers railing.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-22-16, 04:28
I understand the part about bringing lots of cash and hearing protection but I'm not quite clear on what the backpack is for.
If the backpack is for potential purchases then I'm going to need a couple large military duffel bags. ;)

Sent from my  iPhone 6 plus and posted via Tapatalk.

Now that's the Spirit! Haha

TacticalSledgehammer
01-22-16, 04:36
Moose-knuckle,
I stay in hotels 3-4 nights every week. You're correct about how filthy they can be. When you have minimum wage maids cleaning rooms as fast as they can, they short-cut stuff all the time. I've gotten rooms with beds made, but not sheets changed. I've been bitten by fleas and bed bugs in rooms. I've seen the same bars of soap and trash in the same rooms weeks later.
Bed bath and beyond sells a hotel bed sheet you crawl into much like a sleeping bag. I'm not sure if it really works or not, but it makes a person feel better at least.

JackFanToM
01-22-16, 06:52
You guys are staying in the wrong places. I have done this for over 25 years, and the crap the media displays is a small sampling set up for dramatic results. The media after all is spot on accurate about guns right???!!! This is how it goes, the media states, one or 2 people support the media's claim and then the witch hunt begins. I never pay housekeepers minimum wage, and the rooms are cleaned, then inspected by salaried managers, and then those are spot inspected by upper management. You want a really good read on a hotel, have a conversation with the manager. Those of us that have a passion, do an excellent job, those that don't...well apparently that is where you are staying. Avoid 3rd party booking agencies (expedia, hotels.com, booking.com), and if you stay frequently, get to know the team. One of my properties is an extended stay property, and people check in there all the time, and then come to the desk stating housekeeping missed the previous guest's belongings., only to discover that the dish pack belongs to the room (yes the rooms have dishwashers and all dishes are washed). I cannot vouch for every hotel, but after 25 years in the industry I can vouch that the brands do make an effort to enforce standards. I believe like any industry, there are those that can perform and those that cannot, and I think blanket generalizations lead to the spread of misinformation. In the event every hotel performed as has been indicated in this thread, why is the industry still in existence? My 2 hotels serve around 35k guests a year, and I would bet more than 34,900 had a great stay and will be back. The hotel industry is one of a few industries left that stand behind their service....go anywhere and consume the entire portion of the product, and then tell the service agent you didn't enjoy it and want your money back....airlines, nope, car dealership, nope, restaurant, nope, even McDonalds want the unconsumed portion back for an exchange. You can stay the entire night, mess up the bed, leave beard stubble all over my bathroom, piss on the toilet seat, beer bottles all over the room, go to the desk and state the heater rattled all night, and we will refund your stay and fix your heater. Again, you guys are not staying in the right places. I guarantee you research the hell outta a gun purchase, try the same before your next hotel stay, or hell trip to Rapid City, SD and stay at my places. I will put my money where my mouth is, you stay at my place and don't like it, you won't pay a dime!

www.cambriasuitesrapidcity.com & www.mainstayrapidcity.com

SkiDevil
01-22-16, 08:04
I can confirm what Jack states about the Hotel Industry. I worked for several years at a major Hotel conglomerate right after finishing school.

They spent thousands of dollars a day cleaning everything walked on, touched, or looked at on the property. The particular General Manager were I worked was extremely vigilant about customer service, value, and the cleanliness of the property. Security was also a major emphasis as well with cameras and well trained staff on the property 24 hours a day.

What, I remember most from the 5+ years of working for Hilton Hotels was that the Housekeeping staff were some of the hardest working, professional, and honest people that I ever met in my life. Although, predominantly Hispanic, every race was represented in the workforce.

Over the years, I have stayed in a lot of hotels. I can only recall a few bad experiences, which typically entailed my reservation being screwed-up, or being assigned a room next to the ice machine.

Choose your hotel wisely, there are some great properties to stay at in most major cities. I like Hilton, Double Tree, Wyndham, Ayres, Holiday Inn/ Express. The only major chain that I stay clear of is Motel 6.

OP, here's hoping that you have a great trip. I am planning to visit Knob Creek some day too. Have friends in Paducah, KY that I need go see.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-22-16, 10:02
Bed bath and beyond sells a hotel bed sheet you crawl into much like a sleeping bag. I'm not sure if it really works or not, but it makes a person feel better at least.

Also look into the lightweight sleeping bag liners, they work great as well.

I travel a lot and I am always leery of things in hotel rooms, even the nicer ones. I just can't help it, but then again I am a little ocd when it comes to cleanliness. As far as the glasses in the rooms, I can't bring myself to use them unless they are the plastic kind wrapped in plastic.

Frailer
01-22-16, 23:07
My advice is to call the Fort Knox lodging office. Both the facilities in post are nice and reasonably priced.

rjacobs
01-22-16, 23:28
I have always camped at the KOA about 20 minute drive away. I think they have cabins for rent too.

Otherwise you got to get up north by the airport or further to find hotels as the couple in Shepherdsville fill up pretty quick and I wouldnt call them "nice" by any means.

Moose-Knuckle
01-23-16, 01:10
You guys are staying in the wrong places. I have done this for over 25 years, and the crap the media displays is a small sampling set up for dramatic results. The media after all is spot on accurate about guns right???!!! This is how it goes, the media states, one or 2 people support the media's claim and then the witch hunt begins. I never pay housekeepers minimum wage, and the rooms are cleaned, then inspected by salaried managers, and then those are spot inspected by upper management. You want a really good read on a hotel, have a conversation with the manager. Those of us that have a passion, do an excellent job, those that don't...well apparently that is where you are staying. Avoid 3rd party booking agencies (expedia, hotels.com, booking.com), and if you stay frequently, get to know the team. One of my properties is an extended stay property, and people check in there all the time, and then come to the desk stating housekeeping missed the previous guest's belongings., only to discover that the dish pack belongs to the room (yes the rooms have dishwashers and all dishes are washed). I cannot vouch for every hotel, but after 25 years in the industry I can vouch that the brands do make an effort to enforce standards. I believe like any industry, there are those that can perform and those that cannot, and I think blanket generalizations lead to the spread of misinformation. In the event every hotel performed as has been indicated in this thread, why is the industry still in existence? My 2 hotels serve around 35k guests a year, and I would bet more than 34,900 had a great stay and will be back. The hotel industry is one of a few industries left that stand behind their service....go anywhere and consume the entire portion of the product, and then tell the service agent you didn't enjoy it and want your money back....airlines, nope, car dealership, nope, restaurant, nope, even McDonalds want the unconsumed portion back for an exchange. You can stay the entire night, mess up the bed, leave beard stubble all over my bathroom, piss on the toilet seat, beer bottles all over the room, go to the desk and state the heater rattled all night, and we will refund your stay and fix your heater. Again, you guys are not staying in the right places. I guarantee you research the hell outta a gun purchase, try the same before your next hotel stay, or hell trip to Rapid City, SD and stay at my places. I will put my money where my mouth is, you stay at my place and don't like it, you won't pay a dime!

www.cambriasuitesrapidcity.com & www.mainstayrapidcity.com

You sir are a credit to your trade, if only all inn keepers had such dedication the world would be a cleaner place. If I ever find myself up SD way I will book a room for sure! And as a customer I leave a place as clean as I found it. My mother and father brought me up right and always taught us to respect the things of others.

Moose-Knuckle
01-23-16, 01:13
What, I remember most from the 5+ years of working for Hilton Hotels was that the Housekeeping staff were some of the hardest working, professional, and honest people that I ever met in my life. Although, predominantly Hispanic, every race was represented in the workforce.

I can say the best hotel experience I have had was at a Hilton, it was at their Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. Their cleaning staff were all ethnic Chinese women who worked like a NASCAR pit crew.

JackFanToM
01-23-16, 09:20
Sadly, I find (here comes a dreaded generalization so I will try to shore it up best I can) that the great majority of American youth (Race is not a factor here) lack 2 fundamental but very important traits in the workplace - a work ethic and accountability. The only pride "I" see in the "majority" of the American youth is pride in their paycheck. The hardest single task I do daily is hire and promote teamwork. I am shocked at how little these kids feel obligated to work together. Our city has 3.8% unemployment, and one of the fastest growing per capita job markets in the country...this leads to a human capital deficit, so we bring in foreign labor in the summer (J1 Visa'd labor). I have noticed Eastern Block, Chinese, and European kids are just like ours! No work ethic, no accountability, and growing level of entitlement. Geez Jack wth this isn't a thread about labor...yes I digressed, but my point is you often have to look to other countries to get good housekeepers, or bring in a ton at a time and weed out the miscreants (this is our primary format, but I hate it...it makes me feel sleazy).