PDA

View Full Version : Question About Older Bushmasters

Iraqgunz
08-13-08, 13:50
Ok, I have a series of questions about some older Bushmaster carbines. An indirect associate contacted me and advised that he had about 10 pre-AWB Bushmasters with 14.5 in barrels with the Ak74 style flash hider and fixed carry handle. So here it goes;

1. What would be the value of these carbines? They are unfired.

2. What was the quality of Bushmaster stuff like in that time frame?

3. Are those AK style flash hiders removable?

Ron S.
08-13-08, 21:25
1. What would be the value of these carbines? They are unfired. Not much more than current pricing, if it were used. To me? Couple hundred. Being unfired, though, probably 30-50% over what they cost now. Assuming quality was up there, that's what I'd pay.

2. What was the quality of Bushmaster stuff like in that time frame? My dealer says, "good...it's improved, though"

3. Are those AK style flash hiders removable? Certainly should be, considering there was no ban at the time. No reason to pin it or weld it.

...and there ya be.

Speaking of which...let me know if and when he wants to sell. I'd probably want one. Are they A2's?

Robb Jensen
08-13-08, 21:33
Ok, I have a series of questions about some older Bushmaster carbines. An indirect associate contacted me and advised that he had about 10 pre-AWB Bushmasters with 14.5 in barrels with the Ak74 style flash hider and fixed carry handle. So here it goes;

1. What would be the value of these carbines? They are unfired.

2. What was the quality of Bushmaster stuff like in that time frame?

3. Are those AK style flash hiders removable?

About $650-700 on the high side (flat tops), $600-650 if they have A1/A2 uppers.

The AK flash hiders can be removed ADCO and AR15Barrels charge $25-30 to remove IIRC.

platypusREX
08-13-08, 23:18
About $650-700 on the high side (flat tops), $600-650 if they have A1/A2 uppers.

The AK flash hiders can be removed ADCO and AR15Barrels charge $25-30 to remove IIRC.
At your suggested prices, I would buy them all and clean up in ban states. Thinking again if they have AK74 brakes they are not preban since they were already in compliance to the Crime Bill.

Bushytale
08-13-08, 23:28
Check with Bushmaster on the date of mfg. They used AK74 brakes on 14.5 as one of their choices.

14.5 barrels would definitely have pinned and welded or silver soldered brakes or flash hiders unless they were SBR papered. Those rules had/have nothing to do with the AWB.

Iraqgunz
08-14-08, 04:15
Bushy,

That is correct. Because they are 14.5 in. barrels they had to have those brakes permanently attached.

He specifically told me that he bought all of these carbines in 1994 just before the ban.

I believe that his intent was to buy something as a potential future "money maker" that may not have worked out so well. I am pretty sure that he said all of them were unfired.

Thanks for the response, I'll pass it on and see what the next step will be.

Check with Bushmaster on the date of mfg. They used AK74 brakes on 14.5 as one of their choices.

14.5 barrels would definitely have pinned and welded or silver soldered brakes or flash hiders unless they were SBR papered. Those rules had/have nothing to do with the AWB.

Cold Zero
08-14-08, 07:06
Given that I see used Pre Ban Colt's going in the $1,200-1,500 range, I would think that a new Pre Ban B.M. wold go for a bit more than $650.

Seems like there is an opportunity to make money there. Especially with the coming change in politics.

AMMOTECH
08-14-08, 08:28
Given that I see used Pre Ban Colt's going in the $1,200-1,500 range, I would think that a new Pre Ban B.M. wold go for a bit more than $650.

Seems like there is an opportunity to make money there. Especially with the coming change in politics.

Pre-ban Bushy lower on Gunbroker for $850.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106935540

Robb Jensen
08-14-08, 09:38
Preban might mean something to someone living in a 'ban' state. Here in VA there is no ban so it's just another AR, just older. ;)

VLODPG
08-15-08, 02:30
Pre-ban Bushy lower on Gunbroker for $850.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106935540

Pre ban crack dealer selling there!

I just bought a pre 94 PWA carbine with a hard case, 3 new PMAGS,1 Brownell mag, 1/2 case of ammo & cleaning kit for $750

I would be intrested in one of them BM's if reasonable. Im looking to replace my ban era guns.

MassMark
08-15-08, 08:07
Preban might mean something to someone living in a 'ban' state. Here in VA there is no ban so it's just another AR, just older. ;)

Amen - there's a preban Bushmaster at a local fun shop for $899.00 and it looks as if it's seen better days. the preban makes the adventure almost worth the dough here, but after you get done updating, you could find a preban lower and build what you want...