PDA

View Full Version : The Pic Mod Rail

cbx
01-21-16, 20:23
Does this change things? Or just another rail. I hope mlok can do something similar.

I vote it changes things.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/4.jpg

jpmuscle
01-21-16, 20:42
Looks heavy? Weight? Who makes it?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

samuse
01-21-16, 21:01
Who cares anymore?

There's so much new stuff coming out these days it seems like everyone is trying to one-up each other for a few sales until the next flavor of the month.

Pick a system and stick with it.

Plasman
01-21-16, 21:13
Looks heavy? Weight? Who makes it?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It's PWS' new rail on their MOD 2 guns.

Stickman
01-21-16, 22:09
Looks heavy?

Doesn't feel heavy in the hands when installed....

cbx
01-21-16, 23:48
I didn't express myself clearly enough I think. I meant PicMod as a concept.

Let's just assume it works on any rail for this discussion. Is it dumb? Or does a hybrid setup make sense fit your needs and wants?

Plasman
01-22-16, 00:16

Let's just assume it works on any rail for this discussion. Is it dumb? Or does a hybrid setup make sense fit your needs and wants?

Looks like a good medium to me, especially if it's limited to where you're likely to put a keymod to 1913 rail section anyways. I wouldn't mind having that on my current MK216 MOD 1 for mounting my bipod.

Stickman
01-22-16, 01:13

If the hybrid systems are lighter than a 1913, it is a win. I don't see any issues, and I have two sitting next to me.

Moose-Knuckle
01-22-16, 01:25
Just my 0.02¢ . . .

One of the goals of KeyMod was to reduce the overall bulk of traditional Picatinny/MIL-STD-1913 rails, going by the picture linked above they have simply added KeyMod holes on top of the bulky rails.

Benito
01-22-16, 01:36
Yo, dawg.
I heard you like Picatinny rails and KeyMod.
So we put KeyMod on yo' Picatinny rail.

Mind blown.

nolt
01-22-16, 12:21
"Your picatinny is in my Keymod!"
"Your Keymod is in my picatinny!!"
"..."
"mmmmmmmmmm!"

Mr. Goodtimes
01-22-16, 12:24
It doesn't make sense to me.. IMO this negates all the advantages of keymod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMS951
01-22-16, 12:32
Plainly I think it's a dumb idea.

Key mod and Mlok seek to get rid of the picatiny because of its bulk and cheese grater texture.

It allows a 'slick' rail and cuts weight. I do feel picatiny is a better mounting system, I stress the mounting part of that. Adjustment is finer, and attachment stronger. Return to zero is excellent with a good mount.

PWS has successfully gone full retard and combined the worst aspects of both designs and for gone most of the positive ones.

The simple fix is to offer picatiny and Mlok. Also key mod if you want, but in a few years Mlok will a much larger market share than key mod.

nolt
01-22-16, 12:55
wait. is this not just the top rail?

I was assuming that this was just a pic of the top rail and that the sides were not done like this...

edit: now that I look more carefully at the pic I can see that it does appear to be a quad-pic-KM-etc setup.

dmd08
01-22-16, 13:10
You can mount anything you want anywhere you want with a quad rail. How is keymod on a quad rail improving anything? I don't get it.

Headache
01-22-16, 13:13
Doesn't look like anything earthshaking; but, this could be useful if a person already owns both key mod and picatiny rails on their carbines. They could then use parts from both, maybe save a little money. Otherwise, it looks like an attempt to put out something new/different in a saturated AR market.

cbx
01-22-16, 14:30
I wonder if the dimension is the same diameter wise? Or if it feels fat in the hand like a quad rail?

The rifle they debuted it one weighs less, but there's extra milling in other places too. No word on a barrel profile change or not.

I agree with if it's fat and heavy like a quad rail, then it is pointless.

My main interest comes from the desire to mount a bipod when needed, and have a slick rail when not. A QD keymod would fix that, if it's even possible.

Maybe someone who's actually handled one will chime in with shot show winding down.

cbx
01-22-16, 14:31
Doesn't feel heavy in the hands when installed....
What's the size feel like? Regular keymod or quad rail?

JC5188
01-22-16, 17:00
Since you can already put pic rail sections on a keymod, I don't understand why this would change anything? Seems you get the beni's of the KM, with the option to use pic accessories if needed with KM to pic adapters.

Am I missing something tho?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turnburglar
01-22-16, 17:08

So you get the worst of both worlds: Bulk of a quad rail and expense of KM?

If I have an accessory that isn't KM, i just throw a 1913 adapter on.

b2dap1
01-22-16, 17:11
PWS is all about reinventing things. Sometimes more than once. They are a great company and I love innovation but since the KMR I am kinda done looking at rails.

mebiuspower
01-25-16, 19:30
Someone forgot to mention it uses the pat-pending BCM KMR mounting system...

http://i.imgur.com/x773dDs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0px4NrN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FKGv2Wa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SyihYNG.jpg

PaLEOjd
01-25-16, 19:47
There are far too many 'new' rail systems being introduced recently. Like stated in an earlier post, one is attempting to one up the other.
If the set-up you have now works, stick with it, no reason to go out and buy anything else.
Many people seem to keep switching rails every time a new type is introduced but what is the benefit really, other than feeling that you have the latest and greatest?

SilverBullet432
01-25-16, 19:55
Coming soon: MLOK 1913 KeyMod sections :jester: The rail would be hexagonal, skeletonized (for MLOK) and the sections would attach in place via a snap- in mechanism and it would be piccatinnyMod... If one of you makes it, I want royalties. ....

mebiuspower
01-25-16, 19:55
There are far too many 'new' rail systems being introduced recently. Like stated in an earlier post, one is attempting to one up the other.
If the set-up you have now works, stick with it, no reason to go out and buy anything else.
Many people seem to keep switching rails every time a new type is introduced but what is the benefit really, other than feeling that you have the latest and greatest?

Think of it this way: this is the only handguard that uses the BCM KMR mounting system that also has picatinny rails on 3, 6 & 9 o'clock.

Axlnut
01-25-16, 19:59

Capitalism? Building rifles is a hobby. If you just "keep using what you have," at some point there will be nothing new to buy because nobody is going to innovate if there are no buyers.

Your KMR or whatever you currently have wouldn't exist if everyone had kept their LaRues and DDs and M4 plastic. The consumer drives the market, and everyone who enjoys good, cool parts, be that for a working gun or toy should appreciate the early adopters and the "flavor of the month" crowd. They are financing development.

Axlnut
01-25-16, 20:01
Coming soon: MLOK 1913 KeyMod sections :jester: The rail would be hexagonal, skeletonized (for MLOK) and the sections would attach in place via a snap- in mechanism and it would be piccatinnyMod... If one of you makes it, I want royalties. ....

Not quite, but close. You don't get the royalties though. I do :p

http://www.km3solutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/32bc-92e2-80ac-3cb4.jpg

That said - I LOVE this PWS, everything about it. It's one you're going to have to put into your hand to appreciate. Super clever.

SilverBullet432
01-25-16, 20:36
Not quite, but close. You don't get the royalties though. I do :p

http://www.km3solutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/32bc-92e2-80ac-3cb4.jpg

That said - I LOVE this PWS, everything about it. It's one you're going to have to put into your hand to appreciate. Super clever.

Originality is gone these days..

Axlnut
01-25-16, 20:38
Originality is gone these days..

Sorry brother :D

badness
01-25-16, 23:33
i don't see how it can be heavy...or at least not really noticeably heavier than if it didn't have the picatinny slots. I personally think that's genius. It allows you to mount something like a flashlight using keymod, or if you want to attach something that requires more rigidity, such as a dbal, then you can just use the picatinny slots.

I also don't know what people are talking about "bulk of quad rails" bs...?? Just look at the picture. If you eliminated the notches of picatinny, then it would just be a standard keymod handguard. There's no picatinny rails rising from the handguard like there are on other handguards that have picatinny at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions, which would add bulk and weight. There's simply notches cut out of the handguard.

http://i.imgur.com/eFLlcSe.png

As far as cheese grater, i'm not entirely sure if it will be much of a problem as there aren't as many cuts to create that cheese grater effect and the edges of the cuts have been beveled a bit, but if you find that it does, there's always Larue index clips.

nolt
01-26-16, 07:30
I'd like to see the pic portions at 3, 6, and 9 oclock a little bit shorter, but is good that they're not further than they are. Can't make everyone happy. I would imagine that there are some folks out there that would get some utility out of this.

Hkbeltfed
01-26-16, 20:34
... in a few years Mlok will a much larger market share than key mod.

Is it not already?

wolf_walker
01-26-16, 21:56
Is it not already?

If not than it will be fairly soon, between Canada and DD coming out with an mrail.

As for this particular thing, it's not very often that 2-in-1 or compromise products are
anything but that, a compromise. Especially since it's probably going to be larger/heavier/more
expensive than a dedicated option. We already have low profile rail sections if needed, and
Kinetic development or whoever it is has that true QD mlok attachment system coming online
now for bipods and lights and stuff. Yay capitalism and all that, but yawn personally in this case.