PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - long gun, overhead, discreet storage?

SIGguy229
01-22-16, 11:42
Does anyone know of a company that makes a mount for a long gun, that fits overhead between roll bars? I've seen different mounts which the rifle/shotgun is visible, but I'm looking for something like a zippered long gun case that mounts between roll bars, with the gun attached to a PALS/MOLLE-like panel.

I've done some google searching...nothing fits the bill.

Thoughts?

vwp6269
01-22-16, 17:00
I googled "jeep wrangler molle" and see some interesting ideas that might lead you somewhere. Maybe even making it yourself...

shadow93
01-22-16, 22:44
As a fellow Wrangler owner (2dr not unlimited for me), leaving a long gun in the wrangler in anything but a tuffy box would worry me. Even with the hard top they are far from being very secure. Is this just as a "to and from" solution? Or are you actually considering leaving it there and hoping no one would notice?

Not trying to derail. Sorry

SIGguy229
01-23-16, 05:03
This is a to-and-from solution, not a permanent solution. I don't want it far in the back, and I don't want to put it on the floor. Also, I don't want vehicles passing by me to see the exposed firearms.

SamM
01-23-16, 06:11
Buy a Gobi roof rack and lock a Pelican case onto the rack. It's a better solution, more secure, doesn't waste interior space and nobody will even know it's there. I got a deal on an FDE Pelican case but a black one would have blended in better. Still nobody has ever given it a second look.

The picture shows what a Gobi rack looks like. My roof top tent, a shower and a solar panel to charge the battery are all mounted on it, but you get the idea. One warning, the Gobi is expensive. No, more than that! I added a picture with the tent open, just to show it.

This may be a better to and from solution. I usually keep close tabs on my Jeep when I'm out with it. The Jeep has tracking devices and stuff like that.

SamM

USMC_Anglico
01-23-16, 08:10
How about a case with exterior MOLLE. The just velcro one wrap it right to the roll bars. Might be the simplest and easiest way.

wilson1911
01-23-16, 09:25
I have a JKU and there is not a "scabbard" that you can mount to the roll bars. It is possible to make your own tho. My jeep has a gen right tire carrier, and while is does suck getting in the back, thats where most of my range stuff is. I have always thought about having some made with hook and loop accessing from the ends only.

Tigereye
01-24-16, 15:15
I have a TJ with soft top. Could you strap it to the roll bar with velcro straps? Or, strap a gun case to the roll bar? I haven't tried this in mine.

SIGguy229
01-26-16, 10:12
Well, I'm currently deployed and thought about this. I'll come up with some ideas and plans that I'll work in when I come back.

SFree
01-26-16, 12:52
Know anyone who can weld? Fabricate brackets to suit your needs.

SIGguy229
02-08-16, 11:31
Actually, I found these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/jk-jeep-molle-REAR-OVERHEAD-storage-panel-for-4-door-only-/301191052570

http://www.ebay.com/itm/jk-jeep-molle-REAR-OVERHEAD-storage-panel-for-2-OR-4-door/301191058731

shadow93
02-08-16, 12:08
That is actually pretty sweet Sigguy. Since I've decided I'm just taking the back seats out of my 2dr JK that would be pretty nice to put up there. $200 for it seems kind of steep though, IMO.

SIGguy229
02-08-16, 12:17
Yeah...but to support the weight of the M4 and a couple mags; I'd have to find someone to weld something or to attach a cloth panel (that could sag). I'm considering both...

shadow93
02-08-16, 12:36
To support the weight for something like that it would have to metal for sure. I can't tell how the one posted above attaches to the roll bar. Is it just sitting on top of it or does it go around it?

SIGguy229
02-08-16, 12:39
Looking at the photos for the one that goes width-wise looks like it attaches with straps around the bars...supposed to be used with hard and soft tops