PDA

View Full Version : Rail recommendations

13mike
01-22-16, 19:17
Please recommend a rail to install on a DD mk18 at least 13" long and will adequately cover a suppressor with a 1.5 OD. Cost is not an issue , robust and sturdy hookup is important. Thank you!

Rayrevolver
01-23-16, 15:50
Inner rail diameters:
Samson Evo- 1.56"
Seekins BAR- 1.8"
Seekins SAR- 1.5"
Apex- 1.75"
Daniel Defense MFR- 1.61"
556 Tactical Evolution- 1.56"
YHM- 1.75"
Rainier Evolution- 1.56"
Odin Works - 1.6"

DD MFR has a 12" version only, but looks like a good rail. I was going to setup my 300BLK with a nested suppressor but the cons outweighed the pros.

GH41
01-23-16, 16:16
Do you need the extra real estate or is a look you are after??

13mike
01-23-16, 16:39
I'm after the real estate for light, sight and grip panels as I have long arms and recce's are all I have. This is my first sbr and I'm wanting to stay with the longer rail like I'm use to using.

It's job is home and vehicle defense.

stahljaeger
01-23-16, 16:49
Midwest Industries just came out with a rail specifically to fit over a suppressor. I don't have any personal experience with any of the rails though.

M-Lok only currently. Supposedly there is enough room for the mlok nuts between the rail and a suppressor.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2519

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=d_YFsJDBSIA

Noodles
01-23-16, 16:51
People are still trying to cover the suppressor huh? Thought mostly everyone learned this lesson already.

13mike
01-23-16, 17:02
In my particular situation and application what is to be learned?

nml
01-23-16, 17:44
Thermal dynamics

GH41
01-23-16, 18:17
I'm after the real estate for light, sight and grip panels as I have long arms and recce's are all I have. This is my first sbr and I'm wanting to stay with the longer rail like I'm use to using.

It's job is home and vehicle defense.

Garlic will mask the smell of everything mounted over the can burning.

Rayrevolver
01-23-16, 18:34
In my particular situation and application what is to be learned?

5.56 suppressors + SBR heat up pretty quickly, which will turn your rail into a hot mess. If you assume in a HD scenario you won't be shooting that many rounds then maybe its not an issue. Or if you keep gloves next to your rifle. Also means when you practice with said rifle, it will get hot pretty quickly.

Of course there are issues if you use a QD suppressor and need to latch/unlatch. And you can't shoot without the suppressor.

13mike
01-23-16, 18:38
I knew I was limiting myself from high rates of fire and multiple magazine expenditures but is the heat really an issue with just one magazine for indoor use?

Worst case I buy a cover and bring my support arm in.

Noodles
01-23-16, 22:10
Ha! Sometimes you guys are quite funny.

I knew I was limiting myself from high rates of fire and multiple magazine expenditures but is the heat really an issue with just one magazine for indoor use?

Or... You could just not try to make something hat looks cool in a picture thread but kinda sucks in real life ;)

13mike
01-24-16, 06:16
What's sad is when people say stuff on here they would probably not say to your face.

Thank you for your trolling and assumptions about my motivations.

Auto-X Fil
01-24-16, 06:44

You have clearly never fired a 5.56 suppressed. They get HOT. Dont even think about it. The rail will conduct heat back towards the shooter and the gun will be un-useable after just a couple mags of normal-paced, aimed fire. Plus your rail finish will likely be toast in no time. My rail gets quite warm, and it starts 1" behind my can. Removing the can for a POI check after firing just 15 rounds of slow, aimed fire in 23F weather required gloves.

IOW, don't even think about it. Leave the shrouded suppressor thing for 300BLK subsonic and pistol calibers, where it works just fine.

13mike
01-24-16, 07:06
Thank you.

I do understand how hot they get from firing. What I failed to realize is how much heat would transfer to the rail in such a short amount of time. Been reading a lot. I've seen so many people burned from hanging rifles I figured a rail partially out over would help. I have not seen anybody I respect doing this so that was a clue but I'm not afraid to ask a question.

firefighter37
01-24-16, 07:14
I have no experience with mounting a suppressor under a rail, but I have to ask, are you gonna sell the factory rail? If so, please PM me.

13mike
01-24-16, 07:33
Will do!

Defaultmp3
01-24-16, 14:38
Does the thermal issue extend to carbon fiber handguards? Pure curiosity is all.

themonk
01-24-16, 15:15
What's sad is when people say stuff on here they would probably not say to your face.

Thank you for your trolling and assumptions about my motivations.

Really? You have 19 posts here and you're going to accuse someone who clearly has more experience with this than you of trolling??

Do your own a 556 suppressor? If you shoot a magazine through it, you will not be able to touch it with your bare hands. That heat is going to transfer to the rail very very quickly. Everyone in this thread that understands this thinks it's a bad idea.