PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 9mm NATO 124Gr Q4318- Still GTG?

Jellybean
01-23-16, 14:29
So, long story short, I don't trust anything Winchester.
However.... In my current search for some decent 124gr 9mm, I keep seeing this pop up.
Also however.... all the threads here seem to be from a few years back, saying it's good stuff. And since it's apparently sealed, would be good for long-term stash ammo.
Knowing how ammo manufacturing tech, as well as companies' loading and QC can change over a few years, I would like to get some input from anyone that has run CURRENT manufacture Win 9mm Q4318 Nato.

How is the QC?
Weird random manufacture issues- offset bullets, missing/turned primers, FTF, sqib loads, etc?

IS it running at the correct FPS? Does anyone have any current real chrono data, aside form what the internet and manufacturer say?
Is it accurate?

I saw one thread here a while back that had a statement there was no difference between generic WWB and the Win NATO....
Apparently there are some boxes of "124 gr NATO" from Winchester that do not have "Q4318" on the box....:confused:

Firearms for intended use are a G17, and M&P9C.
Current EDC ammo is Speer 124Gr +p GDHP

Caduceus
01-23-16, 15:25
I find it pretty inaccurate compared to other brands. I bought something like 500 rounds and decided to send it downrange as practice fodder.

Molon
01-24-16, 12:46
Here’s some data on the subject matter. The chronograph printout shown below is from the Speer 124 grain Gold Dot (standard pressure load) fired from a Beretta 92. The instrumental velocity at 21 feet is 1114 fps.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/j6v7u1afrqpgdhqzfgvyujzmbnuwtjf2.jpg

Now take a look at the next chronograph printout. This printout is from the Winchester 9mm 124 grain NATO load fired from the same Beretta 92, fired immediately after the Gold Dot load was fired. The instrumental velocity at 21 feet is 1108 fps; 6 fps less than the Gold Dot load.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/la5n4e00bwm4dm6neqxcld1rxa8z43dq.jpg

Jellybean
01-24-16, 15:21
Thanks Molon- I saw that info mentioned in an older thread, but the picture links didn't work.

So I guess it pretty much comes down to QC and reasonable accuracy...

Jellybean
01-24-16, 15:57
Also Molon- if you've got a second- could you clear a PM space?

Tigereye
01-27-16, 06:01
I haven't shot this in a couple of years because it wasn't very accurate.