PDA

View Full Version : Sig 229 ?

Pappabear
01-23-16, 16:10
I am new to Sigs, having bought an MPX and a Legion 229. On my HK handguns, the extractor protrudes a red hint on the side of the gun when loaded. I can see the extractor is sucked in on the Legion..is there a good way to tell if there is a round in the chamber and de-cocked ? It looks quite similar to racked and fired as loaded and de-cocked.

It doesn't slide open very easily to do a check either. I have not spent much time playing with a loaded gun in my house to figure it out, so I hope there is an easy answer.

Any feedback appreciated.

PB

DanjojoUSMC
01-23-16, 16:40
Extractor becomes flush....I would still work on press checking though and not really trust any indicating design. Thumb under the beavertail with fingers in front of the rear sight and squeezing works well for ones that are a bit stiff.

ChaseN
01-23-16, 17:07
I am new to Sigs, having bought an MPX and a Legion 229. On my HK handguns, the extractor protrudes a red hint on the side of the gun when loaded. I can see the extractor is sucked in on the Legion..is there a good way to tell if there is a round in the chamber and de-cocked ? It looks quite similar to racked and fired as loaded and de-cocked.

It doesn't slide open very easily to do a check either. I have not spent much time playing with a loaded gun in my house to figure it out, so I hope there is an easy answer.

Any feedback appreciated.

PB

I carry a 229 for duty - legacy design with the short extractor. Unlike a number of modern handguns, there is no way to tell the condition of the weapon by the extractor.

Regarding a press check, I cock the hammer back, check the chamber, and then decock. This is totally safe to do as even if you were to slip off the hammer while cocking it, you have two safeties saving you - one is the firing pin block (plunger style similarish to a Glock) and of course, the "intercept" notch which will catch the hammer before it even makes contact with the firing pin as long as the trigger isn't pulled.

Mjolnir
01-23-16, 22:19
It sounds crass I know, but check the weapon before you holster it - always. Then it IS loaded. Always.

There are times or could be a time where while in total darkness you may wish to check. Cock the hammer, slightly retract the slide and decock.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Pappabear
01-23-16, 23:27
It sounds crass I know, but check the weapon before you holster it - always. Then it IS loaded. Always.

There are times or could be a time where while in total darkness you may wish to check. Cock the hammer, slightly retract the slide and decock.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

This is exactly my point. I check it every time. Just not liking the method.

Vandal
01-23-16, 23:45
With my old P229 I would pull the hammer back, press check, then de-cock the gun. Holster and head out.

GiddyHitch
01-24-16, 02:26
Or just trade slides with someone in CA if you really want an LCI. No one here wants them.

m4brian
01-24-16, 09:25
Some with hammer fired guns put the thumb under the slide and wedge the slide back - still pretty tough. Maybe the LCI on the SP2022 isn't a bad deal.

Pappabear
01-24-16, 10:28
I carry a 229 for duty - legacy design with the short extractor. Unlike a number of modern handguns, there is no way to tell the condition of the weapon by the extractor.

Regarding a press check, I cock the hammer back, check the chamber, and then decock. This is totally safe to do as even if you were to slip off the hammer while cocking it, you have two safeties saving you - one is the firing pin block (plunger style similarish to a Glock) and of course, the "intercept" notch which will catch the hammer before it even makes contact with the firing pin as long as the trigger isn't pulled.

So guys to be clear, if you go full goof ball and pull hammer back, or manually cock hammer , and in the process you slip and the hammer "drops", it still will not fire? Or should not fire?

DirectTo
01-24-16, 10:40
So guys to be clear, if you go full goof ball and pull hammer back, or manually cock hammer , and in the process you slip and the hammer "drops", it still will not fire? Or should not fire?
Correct. As long as your finger is off the trigger there is both a trigger safety (a'la basically every other modern pistol) and the 'intercept notch' on the hammer (notice how the hammer doesn't sit against the firing pin, it rebounds to a solid spot).

Either can individually prevent the weapon from firing.

ChaseN
01-24-16, 10:45

Will not fire. You have two safeties working for you. One, the intercept notch on the hammer - same concept as the half cock notch on a single action revolver. Two, the firing pin block. Both are only defeated by pulling the trigger.

You can test both yourself with an unloaded pistol. To test the intercept notch, pull the trigger and let the hammer cock itself back and fall. You will see the hammer is now resting all the way down, against the rear of the slide and firing pin. Now, pull that hammer partially back, but let it fall before you get to the single action notch. You'll see it comes to rest about 1/4" away from the firing pin. Next test the firing pin block. Cock the hammer back into single action mode and leave it there. Physically press on the back of the firing pin, you'll see that it won't budge.

Pappabear
01-24-16, 14:30
I shoot quite a bit, but I don't know the mechanics as well as I should. I thank you for that.