PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint + Larue Flip Mount??

theJanitor
08-13-08, 19:45
Has anyone mounted their M3/ML3 in Larue's flip mount. I ask because a friend was telling me a story of how he tripped into a mudpit, which completely covered his weapon, and he couldn't see through his aimpoint. if this was actually in a fight, and you didn't have the time to wipe off the optic, or detach it and get it into your pouch; wouldn't the flip mount be really useful? you could just flip it to the side and use the irons.

i've handled one of the mounts and it seems really sturdy to use as a regular mount and i believe the tubes of both the RDS and the MAG are the same (30mm), so sorry if it seems like a dumb question:D

tinman44
08-13-08, 20:29
mount with the throw lever. flip mount is what if situation. with throw lever you can remove aimpoint in a matter of seconds if thats what you need to do.

theJanitor
08-13-08, 22:28
my larue mounts have the locking tab as well, which makes them more secure, but harder to remove. i'm just imagining a very stressful situation, maybe using gloves, and trying to get the unit off and into a pouch. Comparing that to just flipping the whole optic on the side and still being affixed to the weapon seems like a plus. if anything you just might save dumping an expensive aimpoint on the ground.

rykyard
08-13-08, 23:17
The only "flip" mount I know of from Larue is for the magnifier.

Think about using a pivoting mount for a zero'd sight for a second...

QD levers work well and return to zero on remounting.

theJanitor
08-14-08, 03:36
that's the one i'm referring to. but try timing yourself in trying to undo the lock, rotate the lever far enough to release from the rails and get that sight into your dump pouch. then time yourself just flipping the primary optic out of the way and immediately using your irons.

i'm not advocating it. i'm just wondering if anyone else had this thought and tried it out. it would seem to be an extremely fast way to get an obscured or damaged aimpoint safely out of the way, proceeding with your fight, and retaining the sight instead of dumping it.

matthewdanger
08-14-08, 05:56
It wouldn't hold zero.

WasatchAR
08-14-08, 08:06
It wouldn't hold zero.
+1.
There is a slight amout of play that is going to = a major shift in POI.

theJanitor
08-14-08, 12:04
good enough for me. i thought they were pretty solid when i handled one, but i guess that little bit of play is too much